Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-core-coap-14.txt> (Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:41:24 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Constrained RESTful Environments
WG (core) to consider the following document:
- 'Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)'
  <draft-ietf-core-coap-14.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-03-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) is a specialized web
   transfer protocol for use with constrained nodes and constrained
   (e.g., low-power, lossy) networks.  The nodes often have 8-bit
   microcontrollers with small amounts of ROM and RAM, while constrained
   networks such as 6LoWPAN often have high packet error rates and a
   typical throughput of 10s of kbit/s.  The protocol is designed for
   machine-to-machine (M2M) applications such as smart energy and
   building automation.

   CoAP provides a request/response interaction model between
   application endpoints, supports built-in discovery of services and
   resources, and includes key concepts of the Web such as URIs and
   Internet media types.  CoAP easily interfaces with HTTP for
   integration with the Web while meeting specialized requirements such
   as multicast support, very low overhead and simplicity for
   constrained environments.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-coap/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-coap/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.