Subject: Document Action: 'Applicability of Access Node Control Mechanism to PON based Broadband Networks' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-ancp-pon-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 08:31:29 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Applicability of Access Node Control Mechanism to PON based Broadband
   Networks'
  (draft-ietf-ancp-pon-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Access Node Control Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ancp-pon/

Technical Summary 

   The purpose of this document is to provide applicability of the
   Access Node Control mechanism to PON-based broadband access. The
   need for an Access Node Control mechanism between a Network Access
   Server (NAS) and an Access Node Complex (a combination of Optical
   Line Termination (OLT) and Optical Network Termination (ONT)
   elements) is described in a multi-service reference architecture in
   order to perform QoS-related, service-related and
   Subscriber-related operations. The Access Node Control mechanism is
   also extended for interaction between components of the Access Node
   Complex (OLT and ONT).

Working Group Summary 

   The ANCP working group was originally chartered only to cover DSL
   access technologies. It's application to PON was only added as a
   result of this draft being introduced. However, there were no
   issues with reaching consensus for this change and, indeed, there
   was significant support within the working group.

   The document received two working group last calls. The second was
   after an initial IESG review and as a result of late IPR
   declaration 1734. No issues were raised about the IPR declaration.

Document Quality 

   The document describes the application of an existing technology
   (ANCP) to a new access technology type (PON). ANCP is deployed for
   DSL access networks today, but is sufficiently generic and
   extensible to be applicable to other access technologies. I do not
   know of deployments of ANCP for PON.

   I have no other concerns about the quality of the document. 

   The document does not specify any MIB changes or additions which
   would need review.

Personnel

   Matthew Bocci <[email-masked]> is the document
   shepherd.  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> is the responsible AD.