Subject: RFC 6862 on Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols (KARP) Overview, Threats, and Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 16:01:22 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6862

        Title:      Keying and Authentication for Routing 
                    Protocols (KARP) Overview, Threats, and Requirements 
        Author:     G. Lebovitz, M. Bhatia,
                    B. Weis
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 67802
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6862.txt

Different routing protocols employ different mechanisms for securing
protocol packets on the wire.  While most already have some method
for accomplishing cryptographic message authentication, in many cases
the existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack, and employ
cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.  The "Keying and
Authentication for Routing Protocols" (KARP) effort aims to overhaul
and improve these mechanisms.  This document does not contain
protocol specifications.  Instead, it defines the areas where
protocol specification work is needed.  This document is a companion
document to RFC 6518, "Keying and Authentication for Routing
Protocols (KARP) Design Guidelines"; together they form the guidance
and instruction KARP design teams will use to review and overhaul
routing protocol transport security.

This document is a product of the Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC