Subject: RFC 6913 on Indicating Fax over IP Capability in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:36:27 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6913

        Title:      Indicating Fax over IP Capability 
                    in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     D. Hanes, G. Salgueiro,
                    K. Fleming
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 18119
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-hanes-dispatch-fax-capability-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6913.txt

This document defines and registers with IANA the new "fax" media
feature tag for use with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).
Currently, fax calls are indistinguishable from voice calls at call
initiation.  Consequently, fax calls can be routed to SIP user agents
that are not fax capable.  A "fax" media feature tag implemented in
conjunction with caller preferences allows for more accurate fax call
routing.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC