Subject: RFC 6912 on Principles for Unicode Code Point Inclusion in Labels in the DNS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6912

        Title:      Principles for Unicode Code Point 
                    Inclusion in Labels in the DNS 
        Author:     A. Sullivan, D. Thaler,
                    J. Klensin, O. Kolkman
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 27078
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-dns-zone-codepoint-pples-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6912.txt

Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA) makes available
to DNS zone administrators a very wide range of Unicode code points.
Most operators of zones should probably not permit registration of
U-labels using the entire range.  This is especially true of zones
that accept registrations across organizational boundaries, such as
top-level domains and, most importantly, the root.  It is
unfortunately not possible to generate algorithms to determine
whether permitting a code point presents a low risk.  This memo
presents a set of principles that can be used to guide the decision
of whether a Unicode code point may be wisely included in the
repertoire of permissible code points in a U-label in a zone.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC