Subject: RFC 6904 on Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:57:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6904

        Title:      Encryption of Header Extensions in 
                    the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) 
        Author:     J. Lennox
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 33486
        Updates:    RFC 3711

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-encrypted-header-ext-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6904.txt

The Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) provides
authentication, but not encryption, of the headers of Real-time
Transport Protocol (RTP) packets.  However, RTP header extensions may
carry sensitive information for which participants in multimedia
sessions want confidentiality.  This document provides a mechanism,
extending the mechanisms of SRTP, to selectively encrypt RTP header
extensions in SRTP.

This document updates RFC 3711, the Secure Real-time Transport
Protocol specification, to require that all future SRTP encryption
transforms specify how RTP header extensions are to be encrypted.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC