Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-05.txt> (Applicability of MPLS-TP Linear Protection for Ring Topologies) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 11:52:25 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document:
- 'Applicability of MPLS-TP Linear Protection for Ring Topologies'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-04-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document presents an applicability of existing MPLS protection
   mechanisms, both local and end-to-end, to Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) in ring topologies.  This
   document does not propose any new mechanisms or protocols.
   Protection on rings offers a number of opportunities for optimization
   as the protection choices are starkly limited (all traffic traveling
   one way around a ring can only be switched to travel the other way on
   the ring), but also suffers from some complications caused by the
   limitations of the topology.

   Requirements for MPLS-TP protection especially for protection in ring
   topologies are discussed in "Requirements of an MPLS Transport
   Profile" (RFC 5654) and "MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP)
   Survivability Framework" (RFC 6372).  This document shows how MPLS-TP
   linear protection as defined in RFC 6378 can be applied to single
   ring topologies, discusses how most of the requirements are met, and
   describes scenarios in which the function provided by applying linear
   protection in a ring topology falls short of some of the
   requirements.

   This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task Force
   (IETF) / International Telecommunications Union Telecommunications
   Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
   Profile within the IETF MPLS and PWE3 architectures to support the
   capabilities and functionalities of a packet transport network as
   defined by the ITU-T.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1872/