Subject: RFC 6886 on NAT Port Mapping Protocol (NAT-PMP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:38:53 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6886

        Title:      NAT Port Mapping Protocol (NAT-PMP) 
        Author:     S. Cheshire, M. Krochmal
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 87897
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-cheshire-nat-pmp-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6886.txt

This document describes a protocol for automating the process of
creating Network Address Translation (NAT) port mappings.  Included
in the protocol is a method for retrieving the external IPv4 address
of a NAT gateway, thus allowing a client to make its external IPv4
address and port known to peers that may wish to communicate with it.
>From 2005 onwards, this protocol was implemented in Apple products
including Mac OS X, Bonjour for Windows, and AirPort wireless base
stations.  In 2013, NAT Port Mapping Protocol (NAT-PMP) was
superseded by the IETF Standards Track RFC "Port Control Protocol
(PCP)", which builds on NAT-PMP and uses a compatible packet format,
but adds a number of significant enhancements.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC