Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04.txt> (IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for additional testing) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:57:17 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Benchmarking Methodology WG
(bmwg) to consider the following document:
- 'IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for additional
   testing'
  <draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-05-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Benchmarking Methodologies have always relied on test conditions with
   constant packet sizes, with the goal of understanding what network
   device capability has been tested.  Tests with constant packet size
   reveal device capabilities but differ significantly from the
   conditions encountered in operational deployment, and so additional
   tests are sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet sizes, or
   "IMIX".  The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is
   highly variable and depends on many factors.  An IMIX suited for one
   networking device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.
   However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked to
   augment the fixed size tests.  To address this need, and the
   perpetual goal of specifying repeatable test conditions, this draft
   defines a way to specify the exact repeating sequence of packet sizes
   from the usual set of fixed sizes, and other forms of mixed size
   specification.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.