Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Optimized Link State Routing Protocol version 2' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:19:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Optimized Link State Routing Protocol version 2'
  (draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2/

Technical Summary 

  This document describes version 2 of the Optimized Link State Routing 
  (OLSRv2) protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. The protocol is an 
  optimization of the classical link state algorithm tailored to the 
  requirements of a mobile wireless LAN. 

  The key optimization of OLSRv2 is that of multipoint relays, providing 
  an efficient mechanism for network-wide broadcast of link-state 
  information. A secondary optimization is that OLSRv2 employs partial 
  link-state information: each node maintains information of all 
  destinations, but only a subset of links. This allows that only select 
  nodes diffuse link-state advertisements (i.e. reduces the number of 
  network-wide broadcasts) and that these advertisements contain only a 
  subset of links (i.e. reduces the size of each network-wide broadcast).
  The partial link-state information thus obtained allows each OLSRv2 node 
  to at all times maintain optimal (in terms of number of hops) routes to 
  all destinations in the network. 

  OLSRv2 imposes minimum requirements to the network by not requiring 
  sequenced or reliable transmission of control traffic. Furthermore, the 
  only interaction between OLSRv2 and the IP stack is routing table 
  management. 

 OLSRv2 is particularly suitable for large and dense networks as the  
  technique of MPRs works well in this context. 

Working Group Summary 

o OLSRv2 is the routing protocol, which uses as constituent parts 
  (and from which was spun off) the already published by the MANET 
  Working Group RFCs 5148, 5444, 5497, and 6130. The document also 
  uses RFC 5498 - also already published by the MANET Working Group. 

  This document is, therefore, an integral part of the Working Group 
  deliverables, and its publication completes the charter item of a 
  "proactive MANET protocol". 

o OLSRv2 was first submitted as an individual draft in July 2005 
  (draft-clausen-manet-olsrv2-00), and accepted as a Working Group 
  document in August 2005. 

o A key difference between RFC3626 and OLSRv2 is the introduction of 
  support for link metrics. An individual draft 
  (draft-dearlove-olsrv2-metrics-00) was submitted in 2007, discussing 
  the design options, culminating in 2010 with 
  draft-dearlove-olsrv2-metrics-05 documenting Working Group consensus 
  on this matter. Metrics support was, then, folded into OLSRv2. 

o This version of OLSRv2 was given a one month WGLC, so as to ensure 
  sufficient time to review the document. 

o The Working Group is actively working on the associated MIB document 
  (draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-mib) 

  There was an issue concerning the differences between the -14 and -15 
  revisions of the document, brought up by one WG member. The consensus 
  opinion from the WG is that the document should proceed, without 
  additional edits. 

Document Quality 

  There is a number of independent implementations of OLSRv2. Those 
  listed below have, explicitly, consented to be nominatively mentioned: 

o Ecole Polytechnique, France 
  (Contact: Thomas Clausen) 
o CRC - Communications Research Centre Canada 
  (Contact: Yannick Lacharite) 
o INRIA, France 
  (Contact: Cedric Adjih) 
o Hitachi Yokohama Research Lab, Japan 
  (Contact: Hiroki Satoh) 
o BAE Systems Advanced Technology Centre, UK 
  (Contact Christopher Dearlove) 
o Fraunhofer FKIE is working on the olsr.org implementation of OLSRv2 
  (Contact: Henning Rogge) 
o Niigata University, Japan 
  http://www2.net.ie.niigata-u.ac.jp/nuOLSRv2/ 
  (Contact: Hiroei Imai) 

  Over the years, several interoperability events have been organized, in 
  France, Canada, Japan, Austria, .... 

Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Stan Ratliff ([email-masked])
  The Responsible AD is Adrian Farrel ([email-masked])