Subject: Response to the Appeal to the IESG in regards to RFC 6852

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 08:17:29 -0700

The IESG has received an appeal from JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>. The 
title of this appeal is "Appeal to the IESG in regards to RFC 6852". The 
text of this appeal can be found at the following URL:

  https://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/morfin-2013-04-05.pdf

The IESG considers the substance of the appeal against the publication 
of RFC 6852, to be "that publication of the RFC was done without IESG 
review, against and the rules set out in RFC 2026."

RFC 2026 defines the base processes for document review and approval and 
it is updated by RFC 5742 which identifies the different RFC streams 
including the "IAB Stream".

RFC 5742 defines processing for standards track RFCs, but defers to RFC 
4844 for other (including IAB) RFCs:

  "When a document is submitted for publication, the review that it 
  receives depends on the stream in which it will be published." (5742 
  1.)

Since RFC 6852 is an Informational RFC in the IAB Stream, it is not 
subject to the IETF review and approval process set out in RFC 2026 and 
RFC 5742. It is therefore the conclusion of the IESG that no process for 
which it is responsible was broken, and the IESG, therefore, has no 
basis for considering this appeal.