Subject: STD 75, RFC 6891 on Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS(0))

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 16:40:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 75        
        RFC 6891

        Title:      Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS(0)) 
        Author:     J. Damas,
                    M. Graff,
                    P. Vixie
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 32856
        Obsoletes:  RFC 2671, RFC 2673
        See Also:   STD 75

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2671bis-edns0-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6891.txt

The Domain Name System's wire protocol includes a number of fixed
fields whose range has been or soon will be exhausted and does not
allow requestors to advertise their capabilities to responders.  This
document describes backward-compatible mechanisms for allowing the
protocol to grow.

This document updates the Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS(0))
specification (and obsoletes RFC 2671) based on feedback from
deployment experience in several implementations.  It also obsoletes
RFC 2673 ("Binary Labels in the Domain Name System") and adds
considerations on the use of extended labels in the DNS.

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now an Internet Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC