Subject: Document Action: 'FCAST: Object Delivery for the ALC and NORM Protocols' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-rmt-fcast-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:04:52 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'FCAST: Object Delivery for the ALC and NORM Protocols'
  (draft-ietf-rmt-fcast-08.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working
Group.

The IESG contact person is Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rmt-fcast/

    Technical Summary

This document specifies a set of data formats and instructions on how to use ALC
(RFC 5775) and NORM (RFC 5740) to implement a file-casting service. In particular
this document specifies an in-band method to advertise the content and duration
of a file-casting session. It also specifies exactly how instantiate an ALC or
NORM transport session for use within this context.

   Working Group Summary

FCAST represents the consensus of the RMT WG participants.  FCAST was initially
proposed at the beginning of the RMT effort (circa 2001) and then superseded
by a more comprehensive approach (FLUTE, draft-ietf-rmt-flute-revised-11). Due
to late reported IPR claims on FLUTE, FCAST was re-added to the WG scope to
offer an alternative to FLUTE.

    Document Quality

There is no known implementation of FCAST in its current incarnation, however
FCAST was implemented and widely reviewed in its first incarnation. The
current specification, similar to the original one, also had substantial review
from WG members. 

Personnel

Lorenzo Vicisano ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.