Subject: Call for RSOC Nominations

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:35:34 -0400

As specified in "RFC Editor Model (Version 2)" (RFC 6635), the IAB is
responsible for appointing the members of the RFC Series Oversight
Committee (RSOC).  While RFC 6635 does not mandate a specific term for
RSOC membership, the IAB periodically reviews the membership of the
committee.  As such, the IAB is now issuing a call for nominations for
individuals willing and interested in serving on the RSOC.

As noted in RFC 6635, the RSOC, which currently includes two IAB members,
acts with authority delegated from the IAB, and the RSOC is responsible
for approving consensus policy and vision documents developed by the RFC
Series Editor (RSE) in collaboration with the community.  The RSOC is
also responsible for ensuring that the RFC Series is run in a transparent
and accountable manner.  For decisions that affect the RFC Series Editor
individually, the RSOC prepares recommendations for the IAB, such as
preparing the performance reviews of the RSE.  RSOC members are expected
to recognize potential conflicts of interest and behave accordingly.

If you would like to nominate a candidate for membership in the RSOC,
please send information on the candidate, including their email address,
to iab-chair at iab.org and execd at iab.org.  Self-nominations are
acceptable.

The IAB will be evaluating the full RSOC membership, including those
current members who wish to continue.  The decisions related to the
number of people on the RSOC and the need for continuity will be made
based on the available candidates, while respecting the stability goals
as stated in RFC 6635.  The current membership can be seen at
http://www.iab.org/activities/programs/rfc-editor-program/

Nominations should be received by 8 May 2013.

The IAB will confirm individuals willingness to be considered, and
publish the resulting list so that the community can provide comments
before the IAB makes any decisions on RSOC membership.

The RSOC will be having a half-day face-to-face meeting in Berlin on
27 July 2013, the Saturday before IETF 87.  It is expected that the
change in RSOC membership will occur there, and the IAB hopes that
newly appointed RSOC members will be able to attend that meeting.

The current focus of the RSOC is on:

1) Overseeing and assisting the RSE in the process of determining how to
best meet the requirements in draft-iab-rfcformatreq.

2) Working with the RSE and the IAB to develop policies n the creation of
new RFC Series streams.

3) Periodic reviews of the RFSE performance.

4) Working with the RSE and the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee
(IAOC) on the statements of work for contracts related to the RFC
Production Center and RFC Publisher.

Thank you,
  Russ Housley
  IAB Chair