Subject: RFC 6920 on Naming Things with Hashes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 09:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6920

        Title:      Naming Things with Hashes 
        Author:     S. Farrell, D. Kutscher,
                    C. Dannewitz, B. Ohlman,
                    A. Keranen, P. Hallam-Baker
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 54124
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-farrell-decade-ni-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6920.txt

This document defines a set of ways to identify a thing (a digital
object in this case) using the output from a hash function.  It
specifies a new URI scheme for this purpose, a way to map these to
HTTP URLs, and binary and human-speakable formats for these names.
The various formats are designed to support, but not require, a
strong link to the referenced object, such that the referenced object
may be authenticated to the same degree as the reference to it.  The
reason for this work is to standardise current uses of hash outputs
in URLs and to support new information-centric applications and other
uses of hash outputs in protocols.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC