Subject: RFC 6918 on Formally Deprecating Some ICMPv4 Message Types

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 08:07:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6918

        Title:      Formally Deprecating Some ICMPv4 Message 
                    Types 
        Author:     F. Gont, C. Pignataro
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 13639
        Obsoletes:  RFC1788
        Updates:    RFC792, RFC950

        I-D Tag:    draft-gp-obsolete-icmp-types-iana-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6918.txt

A number of ICMPv4 message types have become obsolete in practice,
but have never been formally deprecated.  This document deprecates
such ICMPv4 message types, thus cleaning up the corresponding IANA
registry.  Additionally, it updates RFC 792 and RFC 950, obsoletes
RFC 1788, and requests the RFC Editor to change the status of RFC
1788 to Historic.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC