Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-impatient-nud-06.txt> (Neighbor Unreachability Detection is too impatient) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 08:04:52 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'Neighbor Unreachability Detection is too impatient'
  <draft-ietf-6man-impatient-nud-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-05-09. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   IPv6 Neighbor Discovery includes Neighbor Unreachability Detection.
   That function is very useful when a host has an alternative neighbor,
   for instance when there are multiple default routers, since it allows
   the host to switch to the alternative neighbor in short time.  This
   time is 3 seconds after the node starts probing by default.  However,
   if there are no alternative neighbors, this is far too impatient.
   This document specifies relaxed rules for Neighbor Discovery
   retransmissions that allow an implementation to choose different
   timeout behavior based on whether or not there are alternative
   neighbors.  This document updates RFC 4861.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-impatient-nud/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-impatient-nud/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.