Subject: WG Action: Rechartered Path Computation Element (pce)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 09:01:07 -0700

The Path Computation Element (pce) working group in the Routing Area of
the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information please contact
the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Path Computation Element (pce)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
  Julien Meuric <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Daniel King <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pce/

Charter of Working Group:

  The PCE Working Group is chartered to specify the required protocols so
  as to enable a Path Computation Element (PCE)-based architecture for the
  computation of paths for MPLS and GMPLS Point to Point and Point to
  Multi-point Traffic Engineered LSPs.

  In this architecture path computation does not necessarily occur on the
  head-end (ingress) LSR, but on some other path computation entity that
  may physically not be located on each head-end LSR.
  
  The PCE WG works on application of this model within a single domain
  or within a group of domains (where a domain is a layer, IGP area or
  Autonomous System with limited visibility from the head-end LSR). At
  this time, applying this model to large groups of domains such as the
  Internet is not thought to be possible, and the PCE WG will not spend
  energy on that topic.
  
  The WG specifies the PCE communication Protocol (PCEP) and needed
  extensions for communication between LSRs (termed Path Computation
  Clients - PCCs) and PCEs, and between cooperating PCEs. Security
  mechanisms such as authentication and confidentiality are included.
  
  The WG determines requirements for extensions to existing routing and
  signaling protocols in support of the PCE architecture and the signaling
  of inter-domain paths (e.g. RSVP-TE and its GMPLS variations). Any
  necessary extensions will be produced in collaboration with the Working
  Groups responsible for the protocols.
  
  The WG also works on the mechanisms to for multi-layer path computation
  and PCEP extensions for communication between several network layers.
  
  The WG defines the required PCEP extensions for Wavelength Switched
  Optical Networks (WSON) while keeping consistency with the GMPLS
  architecture specified in the CCAMP WG.

Work Items:
  
  - PCEP extensions for MPLS and GMPLS Traffic Engineered LSP path
    computation models involving PCE(s). This includes the case of
    computing the paths of intra and inter-domain TE LSPs. Such path
    computation includes the generation of primary, protection and
    recovery paths, as well as computations for (local/global)
    reoptimization and load balancing. Both intra- and inter-domain
    applications are covered.
  - In cooperation with protocol specific Working Group (e.g., MPLS,
    CCAMP), development of LSP signaling (RSVP-TE) extensions required
    to support PCE-based path computation models.
  - Specification of PCEP extensions for communication in the various
    GMPLS-controlled networks, including WSON.
  - Definition of PCEP extensions for path computation in multi-layer
    networks.
  - Definition of the PCEP extensions used by a stateful PCE for 
    recommending a new path for an existing or new LSP to the PCC/PCE.
    Further protocol extensions must cover the case where the 
    recommendation is not followed by the PCC/PCE.

Milestones:
  Done     - Submit first draft of PCE architecture document
  Done     - Submit first draft of PCE discovery requirements and
protocol extensions documents
  Done     - Submit first draft of the PCE communication protocol
requirements
  Done     - Submit first draft of the definition of objective metrics
  Done     - Submit first draft of the PCE communication protocol
specification
  Done     - Submit PCE architecture specification to the IESG to be
considered as Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit first draft of the MIB module for the PCE protocol
  Done     - Submit PCE communication protocol requirements to the IESG
to be considered as an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit PCE discovery protocol extensions specifications to
the IESG to be considered as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit PCE communication protocol specification to the IESG
to be considered as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit first draft of the PCE P2MP communication
requirements
  Done     - Submit first draft of the PCE P2MP PCEP protocol extensions
  Done     - Submit PCE P2MP communication requirements to the IESG to be
considered as an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit PCE P2MP PCEP protocol extensions to the IESG to be
considered as an Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - Submit applicability and metrics documents to the IESG
  Oct 2011 - Submit WSON requirements to the IESG to be considered as an
Informational RFC
  Dec 2011 - Submit extensions for hierarchical PCE path computation
model as WG document
  Jan 2012 - Submit the PCEP MIB to the IESG to be considered as a
Proposed Standard
  Jan 2012 - Submit P2MP MIB as a WG document
  Feb 2012 - Submit the discovery MIB to the IESG to be considered as a
Proposed Standard
  Feb 2012 - Submit inter-layer extensions to the IESG to be considered
as a Proposed Standard
  Mar 2012 - Submit inter-area/AS applicability statement to the IESG as
an informational RFC
  Mar 2012 - Submit PCEP extensions for WSON as a WG document
  Apr 2012 - Submit the GMPLS requirements to the IESG to be considered
as an Informational RFC
  Jun 2012 - Submit PCEP extensions for GMPLS to the IESG to be
considered as a Proposed Standard
  Aug 2012 - Submit PCEP extensions for WSON to the IESG to be considered
as a Proposed Standard
  Oct 2012 - Submit P2MP MIB to the IESG to be considered as a Proposed
Standard
  Feb 2013 - Submit extensions for hierarchical model to the IESG to be
considered as a Proposed Standard
  Mar 2013 - Evaluate WG progress, recharter or close