Subject: RFC 6943 on Issues in Identifier Comparison for Security Purposes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:44:02 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6943

        Title:      Issues in Identifier Comparison for 
                    Security Purposes 
        Author:     D. Thaler, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       May 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 62676
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-identifier-comparison-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6943.txt

Identifiers such as hostnames, URIs, IP addresses, and email
addresses are often used in security contexts to identify security
principals and resources.  In such contexts, an identifier presented
via some protocol is often compared using some policy to make
security decisions such as whether the security principal may access
the resource, what level of authentication or encryption is required,
etc.  If the parties involved in a security decision use different
algorithms to compare identifiers, then failure scenarios ranging
from denial of service to elevation of privilege can result.  This
document provides a discussion of these issues that designers should
consider when defining identifiers and protocols, and when
constructing architectures that use multiple protocols.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC