Subject: RFC 6927 on Variants in Second-Level Names Registered in Top-Level Domains

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:24:46 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6927

        Title:      Variants in Second-Level Names Registered 
                    in Top-Level Domains 
        Author:     J. Levine, P. Hoffman
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       May 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 39615
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-levine-tld-variant-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6927.txt

Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA) provides a
method to map a subset of names written in Unicode into the DNS.
Because of Unicode decisions, appearance, language and writing system
conventions, and historical reasons, it often has been asserted that
there is more than one way to write what competent readers and
writers think of as the same host name; these different ways of
writing are often called "variants".  (The authors note that there
are many conflicting definitions for the term "variant" in the IDNA
community.)  This document surveys the approaches that top-level
domains have taken to the registration and provisioning of domain
names that have variants.  This document is not a product of the
IETF, does not propose any method to make variants work "correctly",
and is not an introduction to internationalization or IDNA.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC