Subject: RFC 6947 on The Session Description Protocol (SDP) Alternate Connectivity (ALTC) Attribute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 17:26:19 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6947

        Title:      The Session Description Protocol (SDP) 
                    Alternate Connectivity (ALTC) Attribute 
        Author:     M. Boucadair, H. Kaplan,
                    R. Gilman, S. Veikkolainen
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       May 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 51910
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-boucadair-mmusic-altc-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6947.txt

This document proposes a mechanism that allows the same SDP offer to
carry multiple IP addresses of different address families (e.g., IPv4
and IPv6).  The proposed attribute, the "altc" attribute, solves the
backward-compatibility problem that plagued Alternative Network
Address Types (ANAT) due to their syntax.

The proposed solution is applicable to scenarios where connectivity
checks are not required.  If connectivity checks are required,
Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE), as specified in RFC
5245, provides such a solution.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC