Subject: Document Action: 'MPLS-TP Applicability; Use Cases and Design' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-mpls-tp-use-cases-and-design-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 06:51:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'MPLS-TP Applicability; Use Cases and Design'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-tp-use-cases-and-design-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-use-cases-and-design/

Technical Summary

  This document provides applicability, use case studies and network
  design considerations for the Multiprotocol Label Switching Transport
  Profile (MPLS-TP).

  In the recent years, MPLS-TP has emerged as the technology of choice 
  for the new generation of packet transport. Many service providers 
  (SPs) are working to replace the legacy transport technologies, e.g. 
  SONET/SDH, TDM, and ATM technologies, with MPLS-TP for packet 
  transport, in order to achieve higher efficiency, lower operational 
  cost, while maintaining transport characteristics. 

  The use cases for MPLS-TP include Metro Ethernet access and 
  aggregation, Mobile backhaul, and packet optical transport. The 
  design considerations discussed in this document range from 
  operational experience; standards compliance; technology maturity; 
  end-to-end forwarding and OAM consistency; compatibility with 
  IP/MPLS networks; multi-vendor interoperability; and optimization 
  vs. simplicity design trade off discussion. The general design 
  principle is to provide reliable, manageable, and scalable transport 
  solutions. 

Working Group Summary 

  This document has a strong support in the working group 
  and has been well reviewed. 

  The AD review resulted in significant restructuring of the 
  document and revision of the text. The new document was
  taken back to the working group for discussion and a further
  last call.

Document Quality 

  This an informational document, it presents some use-cases 
  and provides design guidelines, but it is not possible to say that 
  there are implementations. 

  The document has had the review that is needed, the working 
  group last call was brought to the attention of SG15 in 
  ITU-T. 

Personnel 
 
  Loa Andersson is the document shepherd. 
  Adrian Farrel is the responsible AD.