Subject: Document Action: 'Routing for IPv4-embedded IPv6 Packets' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-ospf-ipv4-embedded-ipv6-routing-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 07:11:12 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Routing for IPv4-embedded IPv6 Packets'
  (draft-ietf-ospf-ipv4-embedded-ipv6-routing-14.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-ipv4-embedded-ipv6-routing/

Technical Summary

  This document describes routing packets destined to IPv4-embedded
  IPv6 addresses across an IPv6 core using OSPFv3 with a separate
  routing table.

Working Group Summary

    Although presented at multiple IETFs, the draft did not generate
    a lot of comments. At one point, it included changes to the OSPFv3
    protocol due to the suggestion that the IPv4 domains could be
    abstracted as OSPFv3 areas. This was discarded due to the
    complexity and the fact that it was above and beyond the RFC 5838
    mechanisms. 

Document Quality

    The document has gone through several WG review cycles and
    revisions. Comments were received from some WG members as well
    as the chair of the BEHAVE WG. To the best of my knowledge, there
    are no implementations.

    We also WG last called the draft in the BEHAVE WG and received
    some comments from Brian Carpenter relative to positioning the draft
    with other IPv4<->IPv6 transition mechanisms. The latest version of
    the draft clarifies this. 

Personnel

    Acee Lindem is the document shepherd and Stewart Bryant is the
    responsible AD.