Subject: Last Call: <draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-05.txt> (Resource Records for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 06:50:33 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Resource Records for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS'
  <draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-07-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   48-bit Extended Unique Identifiers (EUI-48) and 64-bit Extended
   Unique Identifiers (EUI-64) are address formats specified by the IEEE
   for use in various layer-2 networks, e.g.  Ethernet.

   This document describes two new DNS resource record types, EUI48 and
   EUI64, for encoding Ethernet addresses in the DNS.

   This document describes potentially severe privacy implications
   resulting from indiscriminate publication of link-layer addresses in
   the DNS.  This document recommends that EUI-48 or EUI-64 addresses
   SHOULD NOT be published in the public DNS.  This document specifies
   an interoperable encoding of these address types for use in private
   DNS namespaces, where the privacy concerns can be constrained and
   mitigated.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.