Subject: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-08

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:58:25 -0700

The IESG has completed a review of draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-08
consistent with RFC5742.

The IESG recommends that 'A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast'
<draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-08.txt> NOT be published as an Experimental
RFC.

The IESG has concluded that this document extends an IETF protocol in a
way that requires IETF review and should therefore not be published
without IETF review and IESG approval.

IESG NOTE:

Specifically, the document appears to propose incompatible extensions
to URIs: using URIs with unregistered schemes (ip: and sha-2:, for
example) and using registered schemes, such as sip: and reload:, in
ways they were not intended to be used and that deployed software
would not support.

This document seems to be overloading URIs to make them serve as
multicast group names, and overloading URI schemes to serve as
namespaces in the proposed SAM system.  Having identifiers that look
like URIs but have different semantics and are used in different ways,
is a very bad approach and is likely to cause serious breakage as
those identifiers become intermixed with and indistinguishable from
true URIs that applications expect to dereference.

The IESG would also like the IRTF to review the comments in the
datatracker related to this document and determine whether or not they
merit incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the
ballot and the history log.

The IESG review is documented at:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/conflict-review-irtf-samrg-common-api/

A URL of the reviewed Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-samrg-common-api/

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary