Subject: RFC 6971 on Depth-First Forwarding (DFF) in Unreliable Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:45:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6971

        Title:      Depth-First Forwarding (DFF) in Unreliable 
                    Networks 
        Author:     U. Herberg, Ed.,
                    A. Cardenas,
                    T. Iwao,
                    M. Dow, 
                    S. Cespedes
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2013 
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Characters: 95276
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-cardenas-dff-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6971.txt

This document specifies the Depth-First Forwarding (DFF) protocol for
IPv6 networks, a data-forwarding mechanism that can increase
reliability of data delivery in networks with dynamic topology and/or
lossy links.  The protocol operates entirely on the forwarding plane
but may interact with the routing plane.  DFF forwards data packets
using a mechanism similar to a "depth-first search" for the
destination of a packet.  The routing plane may be informed of
failures to deliver a packet or loops.  This document specifies the
DFF mechanism both for IPv6 networks (as specified in RFC 2460) and
for "mesh-under" Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (LoWPANs),
as specified in RFC 4944.  The design of DFF assumes that the
underlying link layer provides means to detect if a packet has been
successfully delivered to the Next Hop or not.  It is applicable for
networks with little traffic and is used for unicast transmissions
only.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC