Subject: RFC 6934 on Applicability of the Access Node Control Mechanism to Broadband Networks Based on Passive Optical Networks (PONs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:43:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6934

        Title:      Applicability of the Access Node 
                    Control Mechanism to Broadband Networks Based 
                    on Passive Optical Networks (PONs) 
        Author:     N. Bitar, Ed.,
                    S. Wadhwa, Ed.,
                    T. Haag,
                    H. Li
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      39
        Characters: 104111
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ancp-pon-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6934.txt

The purpose of this document is to provide applicability of the
Access Node Control Mechanism to broadband access based on Passive Optical
Networks (PONs).  The need for an Access Node Control Mechanism
between a Network Access Server (NAS) and an Access Node Complex, composed
of a combination of Optical Line Termination (OLT) and Optical Network
Termination (ONT) elements, is described in a multi-service reference
architecture in order to perform QoS-related, service-related, and
subscriber-related operations.  The Access Node Control Mechanism is
also extended for interaction between components of the Access Node
Complex (OLT and ONT).  The Access Node Control Mechanism will ensure
that the transmission of information between the NAS and Access Node
Complex (ANX) and between the OLT and ONT within an ANX does not need
to go through distinct element managers but rather uses direct
device-to-device communication and stays on net.  This allows for
performing access-link-related operations within those network
elements to meet performance objectives.

This document is a product of the Access Node Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC