Subject: Protocol Action: 'Autonomous System (AS) Reservation for Private Use' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-idr-as-private-reservation-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:27:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Autonomous System (AS) Reservation for Private Use'
  (draft-ietf-idr-as-private-reservation-05.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-as-private-reservation/

Technical Summary

 This document describes the reservation of Autonomous System numbers
 (ASNs) that are for Private Use only and MUST NOT be advertised to
 the Internet, known as Private Use ASNs.  This document enlarges the
 total space available for Private Use ASNs by documenting the
 reservation of a second, larger range and updates RFC 1930 by
 replacing Section 10.

Working Group Summary

Working group: WG list had 2 rounds of WG LC - one for approval of
draft and one for actual range size. The majority view in the
WG is that it fixes a clear operational problem in the reasonable
use of private AS numbers. The minority view is that all AS numbers
should be registered. The chairs anticipated this operational debate would
continue during IETF last call.

This issue was raised directly with the IESG and the AD
worked with the authors and chairs to remove the justification 
text that appeared to be causing concern, i.e.
without loosing the generality of the expanded AS range to focus 
the need to do this on the new applications such as DC which
the reviewer noted justifies the change in its own right.

Document Quality

Large DC providers (Microsoft (author)) and cloud providers
have requested to aid ral operational usage.

This is range BCP. IANA registry need to be informed.
Careful review by both WG chairs (one serving as Shepherd).

Personnel

Document shepherd: Susan Hares
AD: Stewart Bryant.