Subject: Document Action: 'IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for additional testing' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:36:01 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for additional
   testing'
  (draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome/

Technical Summary

   Benchmarking Methodologies have always relied on test conditions with
   constant packet sizes, with the goal of understanding what network
   device capability has been tested.  Tests with constant packet size
   reveal device capabilities but differ significantly from the
   conditions encountered in operational deployment, and so additional
   tests are sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet sizes, or
   "IMIX".  The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is
   highly variable and depends on many factors.  An IMIX suited for one
   networking device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.
   However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked to
   augment the fixed size tests.  To address this need, and the
   perpetual goal of specifying repeatable test conditions, this draft
   defines a way to specify the exact repeating sequence of packet sizes
   from the usual set of fixed sizes, and other forms of mixed size

Working Group Summary

WG Consensus was smooth after development over a reasonable period of time.

Document Quality

There are many implementations of various test equipment that use IMIX. 

Personnel

Who is the Document Shepherd?  Lucien Avramov
Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Joel Jaeggli