Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: nsc -- Network Service Chaining

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:59:38 -0700

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsc
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsc

Purpose: Network services are widely deployed and essential in many networks. The
services provide a range of functions such as security, WAN acceleration, and
server load balancing. Service functions that form part of the overall service
may be physically located at different points in the network infrastructure such
as the wide area network, data center, campus, and so forth. 

New data center network and Internet cloud architectures require more flexible
network service deployment models. Additionally, the transition to virtual
platforms requires an agile service insertion model that supports elastic
service delivery, the movement of service functions and application workloads in
the network and the ability to easily bind service policy to granular
information such as per-subscriber state. 

Service chaining is a broad term used to describe a common model for delivering
multiple services in a specific order. Service chaining de-couples service
delivery from the underlying network topology and creates a dynamic services
plane that addresses the requirements of cloud and virtual application delivery.
Traffic that requires service chaining is classified, and context is shared
between the network and the services. 

This list is for discussion of aspects of Network Service Chaining (NSC) that
impact upon the IETF's work, the applicability of IETF protocols to NSC, as well
as new protocols and changes to IETF protocols that might be required. 

A BoF has been proposed for NSC in Berlin. This list also serves to discuss that
BoF proposal.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.