Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-pe-model-07.txt> (Extensions to VPLS PE model for Provider Backbone Bridging) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:31:15 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l2vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'Extensions to VPLS PE model for Provider Backbone Bridging'
  <draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-pe-model-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-06-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   IEEE 802.1 Provider Backbone Bridges (PBB) [IEEE.802.1Q-2011] defines
   an architecture and bridge protocols for interconnection of multiple
   Provider Bridge Networks (PBNs). PBB was defined in IEEE as a
   connectionless technology based on multipoint VLAN tunnels.  PBB can
   be used to attain better scalability in terms of number of customer
   MAC addresses and number of service instances that can be supported.

   Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) [RFC4664] provides a framework for
   extending Ethernet LAN services, using MPLS tunneling capabilities,
   through a routed MPLS backbone without running RSTP or MSTP across
   the backbone. As a result, VPLS has been deployed on a large scale in
   service provider networks.

   This draft discusses extensions to the VPLS Provider Edge (PE) model
   required to incorporate desirable PBB components while maintaining
   the Service Provider fit of the initial model.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-pe-model/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-pe-model/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1498/