Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-06.txt> (DHCPv6 Failover Requirements) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:56:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Dynamic Host Configuration WG
(dhc) to consider the following document:
- 'DHCPv6 Failover Requirements'
  <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-06.txt> as Informational
RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-07-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The DHCPv6 protocol, defined in [RFC3315] allows for multiple servers
   to operate on a single network, however it does not define any way
   the servers could share information about currently active clients
   and their leases.  Some sites are interested in running multiple
   servers in such a way as to provide increased availability in case of
   server failure.  In order for this to work reliably, the cooperating
   primary and secondary servers must maintain a consistent database of
   the lease information.  [RFC3315] allows for but does not define any
   redundancy or failover mechanisms.  This document outlines
   requirements for DHCPv6 failover, enumerates related problems, and
   discusses the proposed scope of work to be conducted.  This document
   does not define a DHCPv6 failover protocol.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.