Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Report (XR) Block for Discard Count metric Reporting' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discard-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 10:40:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Report (XR) Block for Discard
   Count metric Reporting'
  (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discard-15.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Metric Blocks for use with RTCP's
Extended Report Framework Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Richard Barnes.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discard/

Technical Summary

This draft defines a new block type to augment those defined in
[RFC3611] for use in a range of RTP applications. The new block type
supports the reporting of the per-packet report metric capturing individual
packets discarded from the jitter buffer after successful reception.

Working Group Summary

There were several points of debate within the working group; however,
none were particularly rough and authors and commentators came up
with the text that resolves any issues thus consensus was achieved in
all cases.

There was a long debate on discard type for "both" (discard type indicating
a combination of different discard type). After long debate the WG
concluded to remove this ambiguous discard type and clarified how
one should report when there are multiple reasons why report packet
was discarded.

Document Quality

This document has been reviewed by numerous people within
XRBLOCK and through two rounds of WGLCs the document
resolved any outstanding issues.

The document has been reviewed by SDP directorate post WGLC
for SDP extensions defined, some issues surrounding clarity of
how the extension is used was raised but was resolved.

The document has been submitted to performance metric
directorate for a review prior to this draft being submitted for
IESG review.

Personnel

Shida Schubert is the Document Shepherd.
Gonzalo Camarillo is the Responsible Area Director.