Subject: Protocol Action: 'MPLS and Ethernet OAM Interworking' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:53:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'MPLS and Ethernet OAM Interworking'
  (draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk/

Technical Summary

    This document specifies the mapping of defect states between 
     Ethernet Attachment Circuits (ACs) and associated Ethernet 
     Pseudowires (PWs) connected in accordance to the PWE3 architecture 
     to realize an end-to-end emulated Ethernet service. It standardizes 
     the behavior of Provider Edges (PEs) with respect to Ethernet PW 
     and AC defects. 

Working Group Summary

    Solutions for mapping OAM messages related to defect notifications 
    from attachement circuits to PWs for ATM, FR, and TDM services were 
    specified in RFC6310. This RFC did not cover Ethernet attachment 
    circuits because of a perception at the time that Ethernet OAM 
    mechanisms were less widely deployed and their standardization 
    was on-going. The WG decided to handle the Ethernet case in 
    a separate draft. This was considered to be an important
    work item by the PWE3 working group, and there were a 
    number of requests to roll this working into the draft that 
    became RFC6310. However, ultimately the consensus was 
    to progress the Ethernet case separately to not further delay RFC6310.

   The document received two working group last calls, the second 
   as a result of IPR declaration 1781. The second WG last call 
   resulted in the security section being improved, but no issues 
   were raised about the IPR declaration. 

Document Quality

   Previous PW deployment surveys (see
   draft-ietf-pwe3-pw-vccv-impl-survey-results-00) have indicated that 
   the majority of PWs are Ethernet, and therefore standardizing 
   the interworking of defect notifications for emulated Ethernet services 
   is expected to be of significant interest to the IETF and the operator 
   community in general. There are believed to be numerous 
   implementations and deployments of Ethernet OAM mechanisms 
   referred to in this draft, including cases where the Ethernet
   service is supported over PWs and where OAM interworking is used.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Matthew Bocci ([email-masked]).
   The responsible Area Director is Stewart Bryant ([email-masked]).

RFC Editor Note

S/{E-LMI}/(E-LMI) (change bracket type)

New First Paragraph for Appendix A

"This Appendix is informative."