Subject: Protocol Action: 'Virtual Hub-and-Spoke in BGP/MPLS VPNs' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 03:13:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Virtual Hub-and-Spoke in BGP/MPLS VPNs'
  (draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-virtual-hub/

Technical Summary

   With BGP/MPLS VPNs, providing any-to-any connectivity among sites of
   a given Virtual Private Network would require each Provider Edge
   router that has one or more of these sites connected to it to hold
   all the routes of that Virtual Private Network. The approach
   described in this document allows to reduce the number of Provider
   Edge routers that have to maintain all these routes by requiring only
   a subset of these routers to maintain all these routes.

   Furthermore, when Provider Edge routers use ingress replication to
   carry multicast traffic of VPN customers, the approach described in
   this document may under certain circumstances allow to reduce
   bandwidth inefficiency associated with ingress replication, and to
   redistribute the replication load among Provider Edge routers.

Working Group Summary

Nothing particular (There was no objection from working group 
contributors during adoption, not real objection during 
WGLC, except for one comment challenging the scope 
of the document but without a follow-up from the commenter).

Document Quality

There are no concerns about the document quality.  An 
extensive review was done on WGLC by Eric Rosen 
(co-author of BGP/MPLS specifications to which these 
specifications relate), which were resolved after 
substantive changes to the document. 
No information has been provided related to current 
implementations or plans for implementations.

Personnel

Document Shepherd is Thomas Morin.
Responsible Area Director is Stewart Bryant.