Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-emu-crypto-bind-04.txt> (EAP Mutual Cryptographic Binding) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 06:21:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the EAP Method Update WG (emu) to
consider the following document:
- 'EAP Mutual Cryptographic Binding'
  <draft-ietf-emu-crypto-bind-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-07-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   As the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) evolves, EAP peers
   rely increasingly on information received from the EAP server.  EAP
   extensions such as channel binding or network posture information are
   often carried in tunnel methods; peers are likely to rely on this
   information.  RFC 3748 is a facility that protects tunnel methods
   against man-in-the-middle attacks.  However, cryptographic binding
   focuses on protecting the server rather than the peer.  This memo
   explores attacks possible when the peer is not protected from man-in-
   the-middle attacks and recommends mutual cryptographic binding, a new
   form of cryptographic binding that protects both peer and server
   along with other mitigations.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-emu-crypto-bind/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-emu-crypto-bind/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.