Subject: Protocol Action: 'iSCSI Protocol (Consolidated)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:00:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'iSCSI Protocol (Consolidated)'
  (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the STORage Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons/

Technical Summary

  This document describes a transport protocol for SCSI that works
  on top of TCP. The iSCSI protocol aims to be fully compliant with
  the standardized SCSI Architecture Model (SAM-2). RFC 3720
  defined the original iSCSI protocol. RFC 3721 discusses iSCSI
  Naming examples and discovery techniques. Subsequently, RFC 3980
  added an additional naming format to iSCSI protocol. RFC 4850
  followed up by adding a new public extension key to iSCSI. RFC
  5048 offered a number of clarifications and a few improvements and
  corrections to the original iSCSI protocol.

  This document obsoletes RFCs 3720, 3980, 4850 and 5048 by
  consolidating them into a single document and making additional
  updates to the consolidated specification. This document also
  updates RFC 3721 and RFC 3723. The text in this document thus
  supersedes the text in all the noted RFCs wherever there is a
  difference in semantics. 

Working Group Summary

  There was very little dissent in the WG over the functionality in this
  document.  Significant WG discussion was devoted to correctly specifying
  SCSI-related identifiers used by this draft.  Rob Elliott and Ralph
  Weber (key members of the T10 SCSI standards organization) provided
  significant assistance in working through the identifier issues. 

Document Quality

  iSCSI implementers from Dell, EMC, Microsoft, NetApp, RedHat and VMware
  have reviewed this document for quality and consistency with existing
  implementations.  The reviews indicate that the changes are clearly
  specified, and are not expected to be significantly disruptive to add to
  existing implementations. 

Personnel

David L. Black ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd 
Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.