Subject: Protocol Action: 'The 'acct' URI Scheme' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-acct-uri-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:07:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The 'acct' URI Scheme'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-acct-uri-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-acct-uri/

Technical Summary

This document defines the 'acct' URI scheme as a way to identify a
user's account at a service provider, irrespective of the particular
protocols that can be used to interact with the account.

This document defines a new URI scheme, "acct", that generically
identifies a  user's account at a service provider without specifying
a particular protocol to use when interacting with the account. The 
need for this kind of URI has been identified during the discussion
related to the design of the WebFinger protocol; however WebFinger
is just one possible use for it, even if the only one identified at the
moment.

Review and Consensus 

The ACCT URI has been discussed extensively within the APPSAwg 
during the last year, it become a wg item in August 2012 and it 
has received very little/minor changes in the subsequent updates.
There was no significant controversy.

The scheme has been posted to the [email-masked] list for 
the standard two-week review. No one commented there. 

Several open source WebFinger implementations already support
this scheme.

Personnel

Salvatore Loreto is the document shepherd. 
Barry Leiba is the responsible Area Director.