Subject: Document Action: 'DHCPv6 Failover Requirements' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:10:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DHCPv6 Failover Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-07.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements/

Technical Summary

   This document outlines the requirements for DHCPv6 failover, enumerates
   related problems, and discusses the proposed scope of work to be
   conducted. This document does not define a DHCPv6 failover protocol. 

Working Group Summary

   The need for a DHCPv6 failover protocol had been discussed by the WG
   ever since RFC 3315 was published. After some discussion on how to
   approach this work given the lack of progress for the DHCPv4 draft
   (draft-ietf-dhc-failover), work was begun in June 2011 on the first
   of a possible series of documents. And adopted by the WG in October
   2011. The document has good support from key individuals (those that
   worked on or implemented the DHCPv4 failover draft), but does lack
   broad support - though no one raised any objection to the work.

Document Quality

   The document builds on earlier DHCPv4 work (draft-ietf-dhc-failover).
   The document has had a thorough review by a small number of very
   interested and knowledgable folks (mentioned in the acknowledgements
   section). There were no significant points of difficulty or
   controversy, primarily as this work builds on earlier DHCPv4 work.

Personnel

   Bernie Volz is the document shepherd. Ted Lemon is the responsible AD.