Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect-11.txt> (Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:24:03 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Diameter Maintenance and
Extensions WG (dime) to consider the following document:
- 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter'
  <draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect-11.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-08-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Message redirection is a basic capability provided by the Diameter
   base protocol.  In its conventional form, message redirection is
   performed by an application-independent "redirect agent", which
   returns one or more individual hosts to the message sender as
   possible destinations of the redirected message.

   However, in some circumstances an operator may wish to redirect
   messages to an alternate domain without specifying individual hosts.
   This document specifies an application-specific mechanism by which
   that can be achieved.  New applications may incorporate this
   capability by reference to the present document.

   Because the redirection mechanism is application-specific, it must be
   performed by a Diameter server or proxy rather than a basic redirect
   agent as defined in the Diameter base protocol.  A new term, "Realm-
   based Redirect Server", is introduced in this document to
   differentiate the application-specific nature of realm-based
   redirection from the conventional Diameter redirection performed by a
   basic redirect agent.

   This memo updates Sections 6.13 and 6.14 of RFC6733 with respect to
   the usage of the Redirect-Host-Usage and Redirect-Max-Cache-Time
   AVPs.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-realm-based-redirect/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1254/