Subject: RFC 7026 on Retiring TLVs from the Associated Channel Header of the MPLS Generic Associated Channel

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:35:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7026

        Title:      Retiring TLVs from the Associated 
                    Channel Header of the MPLS Generic 
                    Associated Channel 
        Author:     A. Farrel, S. Bryant
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 9297
        Updates:    RFC 5586

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-retire-ach-tlv-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7026.txt

The MPLS Generic Associated Channel (G-ACh) is a generalization of
the applicability of the pseudowire (PW) Associated Channel Header
(ACH).  RFC 5586 defines the concept of TLV constructs that can be
carried in messages on the G-ACh by placing them in the ACH between
the fixed header fields and the G-ACh message.  These TLVs are called
ACH TLVs

No Associated Channel Type yet defined uses an ACH TLV.  Furthermore,
it is believed that handling TLVs in hardware introduces significant
problems to the fast path, and since G-ACh messages are intended to
be processed substantially in hardware, the use of ACH TLVs is
undesirable.

This document updates RFC 5586 by retiring ACH TLVs and removing the
associated registry.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC