Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ecrit-psap-callback-10.txt> (Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) Callback) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 07:50:37 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Emergency Context Resolution
with Internet Technologies WG (ecrit) to consider the following document:
- 'Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) Callback'
  <draft-ietf-ecrit-psap-callback-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-09-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   After an emergency call is completed (either prematurely terminated
   by the emergency caller or normally by the call taker) it is possible
   that the call taker feels the need for further communication.  For
   example, the call may have been dropped by accident without the call
   taker having sufficient information about the current situation of a
   wounded person.  A call taker may trigger a callback towards the
   emergency caller using the contact information provided with the
   initial emergency call.  This callback could, under certain
   circumstances, be treated like any other call and as a consequence it
   may get blocked by authorization policies or may get forwarded to an
   answering machine.

   The IETF emergency services architecture specification already offers
   a solution approach for allowing PSAP callbacks to bypass
   authorization policies to reach the caller without unnecessary
   delays.  Unfortunately, the specified mechanism only supports limited
   scenarios.  This document discusses shortcomings of the current
   mechanisms and illustrates additional scenarios where better-than-
   normal call treatment behavior would be desirable.  A solution based
   on a new header field value, called "psap-callback", for the SIP
   Priority header field is specified to accomplish the PSAP callback
   marking.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-psap-callback/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-psap-callback/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2180/