Subject: WG Action: Rechartered Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:15:46 -0700

The Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc) working group in the Internet Area
of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information please
contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
  Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/

Charter:

The Dynamic Host Configuration working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP
for automated allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses
and TCP/IP protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a Draft
Standard and is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. DHCPv6 is currently
a Proposed Standard and is documented in RFC 3315. Subsequent RFCs
document additional options and other enhancements to the specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for defining DHCP protocol extensions.
Definitions of new DHCP options that are delivered using standard
mechanisms with documented semantics are not considered a protocol
extension and thus are outside of scope for the DHC WG. Such options
should be defined within their respective WGs and reviewed by the DHCP
Directorate. However, if such options require protocol extensions or new
semantics, the protocol extension work must be done in the DHC WG.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:
  
1. Develop extensions to the DHCPv6 infrastructure as required to meet
   new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently in
   development are:
   - DHCPv6 Failover, High Availability and Load Balancing
   - Extend DHCPv6 to work with multiple provisioning domains
   - DHCP provisioning of IPv4 clients over IPv6 networks
   - SOLMAXRT counter update
   - Container option 
   - Access Network Identifier
   - DNS registration for SLAAC

   Additional topics may only be added with approval from the responsible
   Area Director or by re-chartering.

2. Develop a replacement for OPTION_NTP_SERVER (RFC 5908).   The
   DHC working group will develop this option, taking input from the NTP
   working group during the development process.   Last call on this
option
   will be done in the DHC working group.

3. Specify guidelines for creating new DHCPv6 options.

4. Develop documents that help explain operational considerations for
   the wider community.

5. Issue updated versions of the DHCP base specifications--
   RFC 3315 (DHCPv6), RFC 3633 (DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation) and
   RFC 3736 (Stateless DHCPv6) so as to fix errata and bring
   the documents to the point where they can advance along the
   IETF Standards Track.

6. In the process of updating the DHCP base specifications, in
   cases where time is of the essence, issue corrections and
   clarifications of the specifications in order to quickly address
   interoperability problems.

7. Write analyses and interoperability reports on existing DHC
   documents, including base specs.

8. When serious interoperability problems are found in other DHCP
   specifications, issue updated versions of those problems to
   address the interoperability problems.

Milestones:
  Jul 2008 - Recharter, if needed
  Sep 2013 - Submit 'Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options'
(draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines) to IESG for Best Current Practice
  Sep 2013 - Convert RFC3315 nroff sources into XML format
  Oct 2013 - Appoint editor, assemble design team for 3315bis work
  Oct 2013 - WG last call on v4configuration draft
  Oct 2013 - Submit dhcpv6-failover-design to IESG
  Oct 2013 - Submit stateful issues draft to IESG
  Nov 2013 - Decide which RFCs and drafts to merge in 3315bis
  Nov 2013 - WG last call on dhcpv6-unknown-msg
  Nov 2013 - WG last call on dhcpv4-over-dhcpv6
  Dec 2013 - Submit v4configuration draft to IESG
  Dec 2013 - Submit dhcpv6-unknown-msg to IESG
  Dec 2013 - WG last calll on draft-ietf-dhc-addr-registration
  Feb 2014 - Submit dhcv4-over-dhcpv6 to IESG
  Feb 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-dhc-addr-registration to IESG
  Mar 2014 - Adopt 3315bis draft
  Mar 2014 - WG last call on access-network-identifier
  Jun 2014 - Submit access-network-identifier to IESG
  Nov 2014 - WG last call on 331bis draft
  Apr 2015 - Submit 3315bis draft to IESG