Subject: Protocol Action: 'Modification to Default Values of SOL_MAX_RT and INF_MAX_RT' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-solmaxrt-update-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:43:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Modification to Default Values of SOL_MAX_RT and INF_MAX_RT'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-solmaxrt-update-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-solmaxrt-update/

Technical Summary

  This document updates RFC 3315 by redefining the default values for
  SOL_MAX_RT and INF_MAX_RT, and defining options through which a
  DHCPv6 server can override the client's default value for SOL_MAX_RT
  and INF_MAX_RT with a new value.

Working Group Summary

  This document was called draft-droms-dhc-dhcpv6-solmaxrt-update
  before it was quickly adopted. There was never any controversy
  regarding usefulness of this work. There was never any oposition
  or alternatives to this work. WGLC passed with couple technical
  improvements suggested. This work was requested by v6ops WG.
  Several of the folks voicing their support during WGLC are not
  active in DHC, so I assume that they are form v6ops. In my opinion
  this proposal has concensus to move forward in both dhc and v6ops.

Document Quality

  There are no existing implementations, but this work is expected
  to be implemented quickly as it has strong support from v6ops WG
  (that need it for their CPE requirements bis aka RFC6204bis).
  No external requirements are needed as this work is purely DHCPv6
  extension. This draft was reviewed and extensively discussed during
  IETF meetings and on the mailing list. There was a total of
  139 mails regarding SOLMAXRT update posted to the ML.

Personnel

  Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area
  Director?

  Tomek Mrugalski is the document shepherd. Ted Lemon is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note:

Please make the following edit.   Look carefully, it's a maze of twisty passages, all different.   This is the last line in the stated changes in section 3, and fixes a cut-and-paste error:

OLD:
      SOL_MAX_RT     3600 secs  Max Information-request timeout value
NEW:
      INF_MAX_RT     3600 secs  Max Information-request timeout value