Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-interop-05.txt> (VPLS Interoperability with Provider Backbone Bridges) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:32:35 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l2vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'VPLS Interoperability with Provider Backbone Bridges'
  <draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-interop-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-09-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The scalability of H-VPLS with Ethernet access networks can be
   improved by incorporating Provider Backbone Bridge functionality in
   the VPLS access. Provider Backbone Bridging has been standardized as
   IEEE 802.1ah-2008, and aims to improve the scalability of MAC
   addresses and service instances in Provider Ethernet networks. This
   document describes different interoperability scenarios where
   Provider Backbone Bridge functionality is used in H-VPLS with
   Ethernet or MPLS access network to attain better scalability in terms
   of number of customer MAC addresses and number of service instances.
   The document also describes the scenarios and the mechanisms for
   incorporating Provider Backbone Bridge functionality within H-VPLS
   with existing Ethernet access and interoperability among them.
   Furthermore, the document discusses the migration mechanisms and
   scenarios by which Provider Backbone Bridge functionality can be
   incorporated into H-VPLS with existing MPLS access.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-interop/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-interop/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/984/
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1497/
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1251/