Subject: RFC 7021 on Assessing the Impact of Carrier-Grade NAT on Network Applications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 16:41:19 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7021

        Title:      Assessing the Impact of Carrier-Grade NAT
                    on Network Applications
        Author:     C. Donley, Ed.,
                    L. Howard, V. Kuarsingh,
                    J. Berg, J. Doshi
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       September 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 66150
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-donley-nat444-impacts-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7021.txt

NAT444 is an IPv4 extension technology being considered by Service
Providers as a means to continue offering IPv4 service to customers
while transitioning to IPv6.  This technology adds an extra Carrier-
Grade NAT (CGN) in the Service Provider network, often resulting in
two NATs.  CableLabs, Time Warner Cable, and Rogers Communications
independently tested the impacts of NAT444 on many popular Internet
services using a variety of test scenarios, network topologies, and
vendor equipment.  This document identifies areas where adding a
second layer of NAT disrupts the communication channel for common
Internet applications.  This document was updated to include the
Dual-Stack Lite (DS-Lite) impacts also.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC