Subject: Document Action: 'TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links): Edge Directory Assistance Framework' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:05:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links): Edge Directory
   Assistance Framework'
  (draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework/

Technical Summary:

This document contains a brief overview of difficulties cause by
multi-destination local network traffic, such as unicast frames
where the location of the destination is unknown or ARP/ND packets,
and a generic description of how to reduce such difficulties
through the use of push and/or pull directories. Data Centers are
frequently orchestrated by management software that maintains a
directory of the applications, Virtual Machines, IP and MAC
addresses in use and the switches to which they are attached. This
makes directory assistance to edge switches a reasonable strategy
for that case.

Working Group Summary:

The WG Last Call reviewers of this document include David Black,
Sam Aldrin, Erik Nordmark, and Yizhou Li. Some of their comments
suggested the removal of material not directly related to the main
topic of the document as well as other improvements. Those
suggestions were generally adopted. No parts of the draft were
particularly contentious.

Document Quality:

The document is of good quality. David Black's review was
particularly helpful and is very much appreciated.

Personnel:

Document Shepherd: Jon Hudson
Responsible Area Director: Ted Lemon

RFC Editor Note

Please change the title of this document to "Directory Assistance Problem
and High Level Design Proposal".   This addresses a concern about the
title raised by Stewart Bryant.