Subject: Document Action: 'Resource Records for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS' to Informational RFC (draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 07:29:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Resource Records for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS'
  (draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes/

Technical Summary

48-bit Extended Unique Identifiers (EUI-48) and 64-bit Extended Unique
Identifiers (EUI-64) are address formats specified by the IEEE for use
in various layer-2 networks, e.g. ethernet.

This document defines two new DNS resource record types, EUI48 and
EUI64, for encoding ethernet addresses in the DNS.

Working Group Summary

Document received three revisions during it's IETF last call. A second IETF 
last call was carried out to due to the duration of the edit cycle.

Document Quality

The document has received significant review. It was not entirely
without controversy before and during IETF last call. We believe that
there is consensus that the privacy and security considerations is 
sufficiently evocative for how such zones should be treated. There 
are a narrow minority opinions that the DNS is not a place under any 
circumstances for internal use / scope information.

Personnel

Joel Jaeggli is the sponsoring AD and the author of the shepherd's
writeup.