Subject: RFC 7022 on Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:35:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7022

        Title:      Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control 
                    Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs) 
        Author:     A. Begen, C. Perkins,
                    D. Wing, E. Rescorla
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 21717
        Obsoletes:  RFC 6222
        Updates:    RFC 3550

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7022.txt

The RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Name (CNAME) is a
persistent transport-level identifier for an RTP endpoint.  While the
Synchronization Source (SSRC) identifier of an RTP endpoint may
change if a collision is detected or when the RTP application is
restarted, its RTCP CNAME is meant to stay unchanged, so that RTP
endpoints can be uniquely identified and associated with their RTP
media streams.

For proper functionality, RTCP CNAMEs should be unique within the
participants of an RTP session.  However, the existing guidelines for
choosing the RTCP CNAME provided in the RTP standard (RFC 3550) are
insufficient to achieve this uniqueness.  RFC 6222 was published to
update those guidelines to allow endpoints to choose unique RTCP
CNAMEs.  Unfortunately, later investigations showed that some parts
of the new algorithms were unnecessarily complicated and/or
ineffective.  This document addresses these concerns and replaces RFC
6222.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC