Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-14.txt> (Multicast in VPLS) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 07:13:52 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l2vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'Multicast in VPLS'
  <draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-14.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-09-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   [RFC4761] and [RFC4762] describe a solution for Virtual Private LAN
   Service (VPLS) multicast that relies on the use of point-to-point or
   multipoint-to-point unicast Label Switched Paths (LSPs) for carrying
   multicast traffic. This solution has certain limitations for certain
   VPLS multicast traffic profiles. For example, it may result in highly
   non-optimal bandwidth utilization when large amount of multicast
   traffic is to be transported.

   This document describes a solution for overcoming a subset of the
   limitations of existing VPLS multicast solution. It describes
   procedures for VPLS multicast that utilize multicast trees in the
   service provider (SP) network. The solution described in this
   document allows sharing of one such multicast tree among multiple
   VPLS instances. Furthermore, the solution described in this document
   allows a single multicast tree in the SP network to carry traffic
   belonging only to a specified set of one or more IP multicast streams
   from one or more VPLS instances.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1939/
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1117/