Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mmusic-duplication-grouping-03.txt> (Duplication Grouping Semantics in the Session Description Protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:08:37 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiparty Multimedia Session
Control WG (mmusic) to consider the following document:
- 'Duplication Grouping Semantics in the Session Description Protocol'
  <draft-ietf-mmusic-duplication-grouping-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-09-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Packet loss is undesirable for real-time multimedia sessions, but can
   occur due to congestion, or other unplanned network outages.  This is
   especially true for IP multicast networks, where packet loss patterns
   can vary greatly between receivers.  One technique that can be used
   to recover from packet loss without incurring unbounded delay for all
   the receivers is to duplicate the packets and send them in separate
   redundant streams.  This document defines the semantics for grouping
   redundant streams in the Session Description Protocol (SDP).  The
   semantics defined in this document are to be used with the SDP
   Grouping Framework.  SSRC-level (Synchronization Source) grouping
   semantics are also defined in this document for RTP streams using
   SSRC multiplexing.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-duplication-grouping/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-duplication-grouping/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.