Subject: RFC 7031 on DHCPv6 Failover Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:36:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7031

        Title:      DHCPv6 Failover Requirements 
        Author:     T. Mrugalski, K. Kinnear
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 39321
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7031.txt

The DHCPv6 protocol, defined in RFC 3315, allows for multiple servers
to operate on a single network; however, it does not define any way
the servers could share information about currently active clients
and their leases.  Some sites are interested in running multiple
servers in such a way as to provide increased availability in case of
server failure.  In order for this to work reliably, the cooperating
primary and secondary servers must maintain a consistent database of
the lease information.  RFC 3315 allows for, but does not define, any
redundancy or failover mechanisms.  This document outlines
requirements for DHCPv6 failover, enumerates related problems, and
discusses the proposed scope of work to be conducted.  This document
does not define a DHCPv6 failover protocol.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC