Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-24.txt> (Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 06:10:00 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis
WG (httpbis) to consider the following document:
- 'Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content'
  <draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-24.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-11-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is an application-level
   protocol for distributed, collaborative, hypertext information
   systems.  This document defines the semantics of HTTP/1.1 messages,
   as expressed by request methods, request header fields, response
   status codes, and response header fields, along with the payload of
   messages (metadata and body content) and mechanisms for content
   negotiation.

Note that this document is part of a set, which should be reviewed together:

* draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging
* draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics
* draft-ietf-httpbis-p4-conditional
* draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range
* draft-ietf-httpbis-p6-cache
* draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth
* draft-ietf-httpbis-method-registrations
* draft-ietf-httpbis-authscheme-registrations

The following normative references should be noted as "downward references":
RFC 1950, "ZLIB Compressed Data Format Specification version 3.3"
RFC 1951, "DEFLATE Compressed Data Format Specification version 1.3"
RFC 1952, "GZIP file format specification version 4.3"
Welch, T., "A Technique for High Performance Data Compression"

In addition, the obsolete reference to RFC 1305 will be updated to point to RFC 5905.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics/

Once IESG evaluation begins, IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.