Subject: The RFC xx99 Series

From: RFC Series Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 10:50:33 -0700

Greetings,

The RFC Editor is proposing to retire the practice of publishing RFCs
xx99, the Request for Comments Summary for RFC Numbers xx00-xx99.  In
December 1991, RFC 1099 was the first "Request for Comments Summary"
RFC published.  It provides a list of document titles, authors, date
of publication, and abstracts for each of the RFCs published in the
range 1000 - 1099.  Since that time, through the time that RFC 3299
was published, a new summary RFC was published every 100 RFCs, and RFC
numbers ending with 99 were reserved for these summary documents.  RFC
3399 was never published (for various reasons), though RFCs 3499 and
3599 were.  RFC 3599 was the last of these summary documents to be
published in December 2003.

These snapshots are no longer needed because up-to-date data is
available online.  RFC abstracts are available using the RFC search
engine (http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php) and they are
included in rfc-index.xml.  RFCs xx99 summaries were never requested by
the Internet Community and are not currently filling a need; therefore,
the RFC Editor is retiring the publication of the RFC summary documents.
RFC numbers typically reserved for these documents (i.e., numbers
ending with 99) may be assigned to future RFCs.

If there are any concerns about this course of action, please comment by
October 18, 2013, on the [email-masked] mailing list.

Thank you,
Heather Flanagan, RSE