Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-09.txt> (Advice for Safe Handling of Malformed Messages) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:45:23 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Applications Area Working Group
WG (appsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'Advice for Safe Handling of Malformed Messages'
  <draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-09.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-10-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Although Internet mail formats have been precisely defined since the
   1970s, authoring and handling software often show only mild
   conformance to the specifications.  The malformed messages that
   result are non-standard.  Nonetheless, decades of experience has
   shown that handling with some tolerance the malformations that result
   is often an acceptable approach, and is better than rejecting the
   messages outright as nonconformant.  This document includes a
   collection of the best advice available regarding a variety of common
   malformed mail situations, to be used as implementation guidance.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.