Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ospf-rfc6506bis-01.txt> (Supporting Authentication Trailer for OSPFv3) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:59:21 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Open Shortest Path First IGP WG
(ospf) to consider the following document:
- 'Supporting Authentication Trailer for OSPFv3'
  <draft-ietf-ospf-rfc6506bis-01.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-11-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Currently, OSPF for IPv6 (OSPFv3) uses IPsec as the only mechanism
   for authenticating protocol packets.  This behavior is different from
   authentication mechanisms present in other routing protocols (OSPFv2,
   Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS), RIP, and Routing
   Information Protocol Next Generation (RIPng)).  In some environments,
   it has been found that IPsec is difficult to configure and maintain
   and thus cannot be used.  This document defines an alternative
   mechanism to authenticate OSPFv3 protocol packets so that OSPFv3 does
   not only depend upon IPsec for authentication.  This document
   obsoletes RFC 6506.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-rfc6506bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-rfc6506bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.