Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-req-05.txt> (Requirements for Ethernet VPN (EVPN)) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 08:09:53 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l2vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'Requirements for Ethernet VPN (EVPN)'
  <draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-req-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-11-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The widespread adoption of Ethernet L2VPN services and the advent of
   new applications for the technology (e.g., data center interconnect)
   have culminated in a new set of requirements that are not readily
   addressable by the current Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)
   solution. In particular, multi-homing with all-active forwarding is
   not supported and there's no existing solution to leverage
   Multipoint-to-Multipoint (MP2MP) LSPs for optimizing the delivery of
   multi-destination frames. Furthermore, the provisioning of VPLS, even
   in the context of BGP-based auto-discovery, requires network
   operators to specify various network parameters on top of the access
   configuration. This document specifies the requirements for an
   Ethernet VPN (EVPN) solution which addresses the above issues.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-req/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-req/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.