Subject: RFC 6950 on Architectural Considerations on Application Features in the DNS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 09:11:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6950

        Title:      Architectural Considerations on Application Features 
                    in the DNS 
        Author:     J. Peterson, O. Kolkman,
                    H. Tschofenig, B. Aboba
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       October 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 85548
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-dns-applications-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6950.txt

A number of Internet applications rely on the Domain Name System
(DNS) to support their operations.  Many applications use the DNS to
locate services for a domain; some, for example, transform identifiers
other than domain names into formats that the DNS can process, and
then fetch application data or service location data from the DNS.
Proposals incorporating sophisticated application behavior using DNS
as a substrate have raised questions about the role of the DNS as an
application platform.  This document explores the architectural
consequences of using the DNS to implement certain application
features, and it provides guidance to future application designers as to
the limitations of the DNS as a substrate and the situations in which
alternative designs should be considered.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC