Subject: WG Action: Formed IPv6 over Networks of Resource-constrained Nodes (6lo)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:08:41 -0700

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Internet Area. For
additional information please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

IPv6 over Networks of Resource-constrained Nodes (6lo)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
  Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lo
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6lo/current/maillist.html

Charter:

6lo focuses on the work that facilitates IPv6 connectivity over 
constrained node networks with the characteristics of:
* limited power, memory and processing resources
* hard upper bounds on state, code space and processing cycles
* optimization of energy and network bandwidth usage
* lack of some layer 2 services like complete device connectivity and
  broadcast/multicast

Specifically, 6lo will work on:

1. IPv6-over-foo adaptation layer specifications using 6LoWPAN 
technologies (RFC4944, RFC6282, RFC6775) for link layer technologies of 
interest in constrained node networks

2. Information and data models (e.g., MIB modules) for these
adaptation layers for basic monitoring and troubleshooting.

3. Specifications, such as low-complexity header compression, that are
applicable to more than one adaptation layer specification

4. Maintenance and informational documents required for the existing 
IETF specifications in this space.

Only specifications targeting constrained node networks are in scope. 
6lo will work closely with the 6man working group, which will continue 
to work on IP-over-foo documents outside the constrained node network 
space and will continue to be the focal point for IPv6 maintenance.  For 
adaptation layer specifications that do not have implications on IPv6 
architecture, 6man will be notified about 6lo's working group last call. 
Specifications that might have such an impact (e.g., by using IPv6 
addresses in a specific way or by introducing new ND options or by 
exposing to IPv6 a link model different from either Ethernet or 6lowpan) 
will be closely coordinated with 6man, and/or specific parts will be 
fanned out to 6man documents. Beyond 6man, 6lo will also coordinate with 
LWIG and INTAREA.

6lo works on small, focused pieces of work, but does not take on larger
cross-layer efforts. The working group will continue to reuse existing 
protocols and mechanisms whenever reasonable and possible.

Security and management work that is not specific to the link layers 
being worked on is out of scope. Work related to routing is out of 
scope. 6lo will coordinate closely with the working groups in other 
areas that focus on constrained node networks, such as ROLL (RTG) and 
CoRE (APP).