Subject: Proposed IETF Anti-Harassment Policy

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:44:23 +0800

The IETF should be an open and accessible body in which any individual feels
able to participate without fear of oppression or harassment.  The IESG has
become aware of some incidents of concern, is aware of various incidents in our
industry in general, and has also observed that many similar organisations and
conferences have a policy on this matter.

In order to ensure the right atmosphere and to provide a suitable environment,
the IESG has decided that it is desirable to write a simple and straightforward
policy on harassment. This is not only to remind participants not to harass
others (something that we hope is obvious to us all), but also to let anyone who
it the target of harassment know that we take these matters seriously and that
there is something they can do to address these sorts of incidents should they
occur.

A small design team has looked at existing policies used by other groups similar
to the IETF and consulted with some of the ISOC professionals with expertise in
human resources and issues of workplace harassment. The design team has put
together what the IESG feels is a good anti-harassment policy for the IETF: It
is short and to the point, it is modeled on and makes heavy re-use of the
language of existing policies, and it sets forth reasonable procedures for the
IETF.

The IESG intends to put in place Ombudspersons as confidential initial contact
points for situations where there is a concern of harassment. The selection of
Ombudspersons will happen later, and the person(s) will have appropriate
training and expertise.

The IESG plans to adopt this as an IESG Statement. We solicit your feedback. We
understand that this is a difficult and sensitive topic to discuss, but we do
want your comments. If you feel more comfortable sending comments directly to
the IESG <[email-masked]> rather than discussing them on the IETF list, please
feel free to do so.

Jari Arkko for the IESG

--- Draft Statement ---

IETF Anti-Harassment Policy

IETF meetings, virtual meetings, and mailing lists are intended for professional
collaboration and networking. The IETF strives to create and maintain an
environment in which people are treated with dignity, decency, and respect.
Those who participate in the IETF are expected to behave according to
professional standards and demonstrate appropriate workplace behavior. While
participating in the IETF, communication between participants should be
appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different
backgrounds.

While our processes let chairs deal with disruptive public behaviors on mailing
lists and in IETF face-to-face meetings, harassment is a serious problem that
warrants special attention. IETF participants should not engage in harassment
while at IETF meetings, virtual meetings, social events, or on mailing lists.
Harassment is unwelcome hostile or intimidating behavior, in particular speech
and behavior that is sexually aggressive or intimidates based on attributes like
race, gender, religion, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability,
sexual orientation, or gender identity. Harassment of this sort will not be
tolerated in the IETF. Harassment includes the use of offensive language or
sexual imagery in public presentations and displays, degrading verbal comments,
deliberate intimidation, stalking, harassing photography or recording,
inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.

Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply
immediately. If you believe you have been harassed, notice that
someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, you are encouraged
to raise your concern in confidence with one of the Ombudspersons.

If these standards are violated, appropriate action will be taken.