Subject: Last Call: <draft-shore-icmp-aup-06.txt> (An Acceptable Use Policy for New ICMP Types and Codes) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:10:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'An Acceptable Use Policy for New ICMP Types and Codes'
  <draft-shore-icmp-aup-06.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-11-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In this document we provide a basic description of ICMP's role in the
   IP stack and some guidelines for future use.

   This document is motivated by concerns about lack of clarity
   concerning when to add new Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
   types and/or codes.  These concerns have highlighted a need to
   describe policies for when adding new features to ICMP is desirable
   and when it is not.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shore-icmp-aup/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shore-icmp-aup/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.