Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using Device-provided Location-Related Measurements in Location Configuration Protocols' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-geopriv-held-measurements-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:32:44 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using Device-provided Location-Related Measurements in Location
   Configuration Protocols'
  (draft-ietf-geopriv-held-measurements-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Richard Barnes and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-geopriv-held-measurements/

Technical Summary:

   A method is described by which a Device is able to provide location-
   related measurement data to a LIS within a request for location
   information.  Location-related measurement information are
   observations concerning properties related to the position of a
   Device, which could be data about network attachment or about the
   physical environment.  When a LIS generates location information for
   a Device, information from the Device can improve the accuracy of the
   location estimate.  A basic set of location-related measurements are
   defined, including common modes of network attachment as well as
   assisted Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) parameters.

Working Group Summary:

   There is strong consensus around this document in the working group.  
   It is required for the HELD protocol to meet many use cases that are 
   satisfied with proprietary protocols today.

Document Quality:

   There are a few existing prototype implementations of the protocol.  
   Prototype implementations were deployed at a few IETF meetings.  The 
   document references standards from several other SDOs, so the authors 
   solicited reviews by experts on the relevant standards.  The document 
   has been updated to the satisfaction of those experts.