Subject: RFC 7043 on Resource Records for EUI-48 and EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 14:52:07 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7043

        Title:      Resource Records for EUI-48 and 
                    EUI-64 Addresses in the DNS 
        Author:     J. Abley
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 15504
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7043.txt

48-bit Extended Unique Identifier (EUI-48) and 64-bit Extended Unique
Identifier (EUI-64) are address formats specified by the IEEE for use
in various layer-2 networks, e.g., Ethernet.

This document describes two new DNS resource record types, EUI48 and
EUI64, for encoding Ethernet addresses in the DNS.

This document describes potentially severe privacy implications
resulting from indiscriminate publication of link-layer addresses in
the DNS.  EUI-48 or EUI-64 addresses SHOULD NOT be published in the
public DNS.  This document specifies an interoperable encoding of
these address types for use in private DNS namespaces, where the
privacy concerns can be constrained and mitigated.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC