Subject: Protocol Action: 'Early IANA Allocation of Standards Track Code Points' to Best Current Practice (draft-cotton-rfc4020bis-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:30:52 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Early IANA Allocation of Standards Track Code Points'
  (draft-cotton-rfc4020bis-02.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cotton-rfc4020bis/

Technical Summary

   This memo describes the process for early allocation of code points
   by IANA from registries for which "Specification Required", "RFC
   Required", "IETF Review", or "Standards Action" policies apply.  This
   process can be used to alleviate the problem where code point
   allocation is needed to facilitate desired or required implementation
   and deployment experience prior to publication of an RFC that would
   normally trigger code point allocation.

   This document obsoletes RFC 4020.

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual submission, not the product of a working
   group.  Discussion on the IETF list was initially limited, but IETF last
   call generated some good points and a fair amount of discussion. 
   There was positive support as well as issues that have now been
   resolved.

Document Quality

   The document has been reviewed by a select set of reviewers although
   the document (in its previous form and using a different document name)
   was flagged to the main IETF list.  The reviewers who have commented
   to date are experienced in the IETF process and the use of codepoint
   registries. This set of reviewers did provide the author with very 
   substantial input

   There is not (so far) indication of substantial interest from the wider
   community. This is almost certainly because the process described is a
   relatively small corner that does not impinge on the day-to-day life of 
   the average IETFer. However, we know that early allocation is used and
   is seen as important by a number of working groups.

   We may consider that the IANA function is the expert in operating this
   type of process, so having Michelle as author is significant.

   There are no implementations of this new revision of the process.

Personnel

   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd
   and the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Abstract
OLD
   This memo describes the process for early allocation of code points
   by IANA from registries for which "Specification Required", "RFC
   Required", "IETF Review", or "Standards Action" policies apply.  This
   process can be used to alleviate the problem where code point
   allocation is needed to facilitate desired or required implementation
   and deployment experience prior to publication of an RFC that would
   normally trigger code point allocation. 
NEW
   This memo describes the process for early allocation of code points
   by IANA from registries for which "Specification Required", "RFC
   Required", "IETF Review", or "Standards Action" policies apply.  This
   process can be used to alleviate the problem where code point
   allocation is needed to facilitate desired or required implementation
   and deployment experience prior to publication of an RFC that would
   normally trigger code point allocation. The procedures in this
   document are intended to apply only to IETF Stream documents.
END

---

Section 1
OLD
   A policy for IANA early allocations was previously described in
   [RFC4020].  This document obsoletes RFC 4020 and adds other
   registration procedures to the types of registries that can qualify
   for early allocation.
NEW
   A policy for IANA early allocations was previously described in
   [RFC4020].  This document obsoletes RFC 4020 and adds other
   registration procedures to the types of registries that can qualify
   for early allocation. The procedures in this document are intended 
   to apply only to IETF Stream documents.
END