Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> (Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:55:22 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains'
  <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-10-16. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IPv6 specification allows IPv6 header chains of an arbitrary
   size.  The specification also allows options which can in turn extend
   each of the headers.  In those scenarios in which the IPv6 header
   chain or options are unusually long and packets are fragmented, or
   scenarios in which the fragment size is very small, the first
   fragment of a packet may fail to include the entire IPv6 header
   chain.  This document discusses the interoperability and security
   problems of such traffic, and updates RFC 2460 such that the first
   fragment of a packet is required to contain the entire IPv6 header
   chain.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.