Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-jose-use-cases-05.txt> (Use Cases and Requirements for JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE)) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:11:08 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Javascript Object Signing and
Encryption WG (jose) to consider the following document:
- 'Use Cases and Requirements for JSON Object Signing and Encryption
   (JOSE)'
  <draft-ietf-jose-use-cases-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-12-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Many Internet applications have a need for object-based security
   mechanisms in addition to security mechanisms at the network layer or
   transport layer.  In the past, the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
   has provided a binary secure object format based on ASN.1.  Over
   time, the use of binary object encodings such as ASN.1 has been
   overtaken by text-based encodings, for example JavaScript Object
   Notation.  This document defines a set of use cases and requirements
   for a secure object format encoded using JavaScript Object Notation
   (JSON), drawn from a variety of application security mechanisms
   currently in development.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jose-use-cases/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jose-use-cases/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.