Subject: Protocol Action: 'An Extension to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for Request History Information' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipcore-rfc4244bis-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 15:18:19 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An Extension to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for Request
   History Information'
  (draft-ietf-sipcore-rfc4244bis-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Richard Barnes and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-rfc4244bis/

Technical Summary

  Like its predecessor, RFC 4244, this document defines a
  standard mechanism for capturing the history
  information associated with a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
  request.  This capability enables many enhanced services by providing
  the information as to how and why a call arrives at a specific
  application or user.  This document defines a new optional SIP
  header, History-Info, for capturing the history information in
  requests.

  This revision was made following substantial deployment experience.
  It clarifies many things that have been found confusing, and adds
  additional information that assists interpretation of the captured
  information. That added information helped this draft to satisfy a
  need to deliver the request URI and parameters to a UAS.

Working Group Summary

  The main thing to note about the process for this document is
  that it was very long. It has been in progress for over three years,
  with three WGLCs. The first two WGLCs each identified issues that
  required further discussion and rework of the document. This is
  a reflection of a gradual realization that 4244 had glossed over
  many points. It also indicates that much of the significant
  review of the document was driven by WGLC.

Document Quality

  There is at least one implementation.
   3GPP IMS has a dependency on this document. It will be
   incorporated by reference in an upcoming version of IMS,
   and will thus eventually be implemented widely. There have 
   been a number of significant reviews. The reviewers are
   called out in the Acknowledgements section of the document.
   There is nothing in this document that calls for an
    expert review.

Personnel

  Paul Kyzivat is the document shepherd. Richard Barnes is the responsible area director.