Subject: RFC 7067 on Directory Assistance Problem and High-Level Design Proposal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:09:59 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7067

        Title:      Directory Assistance Problem and  
                    High-Level Design Proposal 
        Author:     L. Dunbar, D. Eastlake 3rd,
                    R. Perlman, I. Gashinsky
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 34720
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7067.txt

Edge TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) switches
currently learn the mapping between MAC (Media Access Control)
addresses and their egress TRILL switch by observing the data packets
they ingress or egress or by the TRILL ESADI (End-Station Address
Distribution Information) protocol.  When an ingress TRILL switch
receives a data frame for a destination address (MAC&Label) that the
switch does not know, the data frame is flooded within the frame's
Data Label across the TRILL campus.

This document describes the framework for using directory services to
assist edge TRILL switches in reducing multi-destination frames,
particularly unknown unicast frames flooding, and ARP/ND (Address
Resolution Protocol / Neighbor Discovery), thus improving TRILL
network scalability and security.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC