Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags-02.txt> (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) on Link Aggregation Group (LAG) Interfaces) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 07:35:06 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Bidirectional Forwarding
Detection WG (bfd) to consider the following document:
- 'Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) on Link Aggregation Group
   (LAG) Interfaces'
  <draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags-02.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-12-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document proposes a mechanism to run BFD on Link Aggregation
   Group (LAG) interfaces.  It does so by running an independent
   Asynchronous mode BFD session on every LAG member link.

   This mechanism allows the verification of member link continuity,
   either in combination with, or in absence of, LACP.  It provides a
   shorter detection time than what LACP offers.  The continuity check
   can also cover elements of layer 3 bidirectional forwarding.

   This mechanism utilizes a well-known UDP port distinct from that of
   single-hop BFD over IP.  This new UDP port removes the ambiguity of
   BFD over LAG packets from BFD over single-hop IP.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2084/