Subject: Document Action: 'Using the IPv6 Flow Label for Load Balancing in Server Farms' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-intarea-flow-label-balancing-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:48:58 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using the IPv6 Flow Label for Load Balancing in Server Farms'
  (draft-ietf-intarea-flow-label-balancing-03.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Internet Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-flow-label-balancing/

Technical Summary:

This document describes the use of the IPv6 flow label field to
enhance layer 3/4 load distribution and balancing for large server
farms. The main goal of this proposed approach is to improve the
performance of most types of L3/L4 load balancers, especially for
traffic that includes multiple IPv6 extension headers and for
fragmented packets. The document also includes a brief summary of
commonly used load balancing techniques to put the proposed mechanism
in context.

Working Group Summary:

The working group had active discussion on the draft and the current
text of the draft is representative of the consensus of the working
group.

Document Quality:

The document has received adequate review. The Document Shepherd has
no concerns about the depth or breadth of these reviews. There are no
known implementations of this document.

Personnel:

Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area Director?

Suresh Krishnan is the document shepherd. Ted Lemon is the
responsible AD.