Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-ug-05.txt> (Significance of IPv6 Interface Identifiers) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 07:43:13 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'Significance of IPv6 Interface Identifiers'
  <draft-ietf-6man-ug-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-11-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IPv6 addressing architecture includes a unicast interface
   identifier that is used in the creation of many IPv6 addresses.
   Interface identifiers are formed by a variety of methods.  This
   document clarifies that the bits in an interface identifier have no
   meaning and that the entire identifier should be treated as an opaque
   value.  In particular, RFC 4291 defines a method by which the
   Universal and Group bits of an IEEE link-layer address are mapped
   into an IPv6 unicast interface identifier.  This document clarifies
   that those two bits are significant only in the process of deriving
   interface identifiers from an IEEE link-layer address, and updates
   RFC 4291 accordingly.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ug/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ug/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.