Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Small Computer Systems Interface (iSCSI) SCSI Features Update' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:51:42 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet Small Computer Systems Interface (iSCSI) SCSI Features
Update'
  (draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the STORage Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam/

Technical Summary

  The Internet Small Computer Systems Interface (iSCSI) is a SCSI
  transport protocol that maps the SCSI family of protocols onto
  TCP/IP. The base iSCSI protocol is based on the SAM-2 (SCSI
  Architecture Model - 2) SCSI standard.  This document specifies
  enhancements to the iSCSI protocol to support certain additional
  SCSI features that have been defined in subsequent versions of
  the SCSI Architecture Model. 

Working Group Summary

  There was very little dissent in the WG over the functionality in this
  document.  Significant WG discussion was devoted to correctly specifying
  SCSI-related identifiers used by this draft.  Rob Elliott and Ralph
  Weber (key members of the T10 SCSI standards organization) provided
  significant assistance in working through the identifier issues. 

  This document was returned to the WG after IESG evaluation primarily
   to deal with functionality negotiation concerns (iSCSIProtocolLevel key)
   and related IANA Considerations.  The WG has resolved those concerns.

Document Quality

  iSCSI implementers from Dell, EMC, Microsoft, NetApp, RedHat and VMware
  have reviewed this document for quality and consistency with existing
  implementations.  The reviews indicate that the enhancements are clearly
  specified, and are not expected to be significantly disruptive to add to
  existing implementations. 

Personnel

David L. Black ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

The specification text in Section 4.2 of this draft requires corresponding changes in a SCSI standard (SPC-4 or         SPC-5) that is developed outside of the IETF by INCITS Technical Committee T10. Confirmation that these T10 changes have been made is necessary before publishing this draft as an RFC. Do not publish this draft as RFC until the final confirmation for the pending changes in T10 have been made. The contacts for obtaining this confirmation are the primary draft author (Frederick Knight), the storm WG chair (David Black) and the responsible AD (Martin Stiemerling).