Subject: RFC 7081 on CUSAX: Combined Use of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:06:33 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7081

        Title:      CUSAX: Combined Use of the 
                    Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the 
                    Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) 
        Author:     E. Ivov, P. Saint-Andre,
                    E. Marocco
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 46772
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ivov-xmpp-cusax-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7081.txt

This document suggests some strategies for the combined use of the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and
Presence Protocol (XMPP) both in user-oriented clients and in
deployed servers.  Such strategies, which mainly consist of
configuration changes and minimal software modifications to existing
clients and servers, aim to provide a single, full-featured,
real-time communication service by using complementary subsets of
features from SIP and from XMPP.  Typically, such subsets consist of
telephony capabilities from SIP and instant messaging and presence
capabilities from XMPP.  This document does not define any new
protocols or syntax for either SIP or XMPP and, by intent, does not
attempt to standardize "best current practices".  Instead, it merely
aims to provide practical guidance to those who are interested in the
combined use of SIP and XMPP for real-time communication.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC