Subject: Protocol Action: 'Duplication Grouping Semantics in the Session Description Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mmusic-duplication-grouping-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:40:09 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Duplication Grouping Semantics in the Session Description Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-mmusic-duplication-grouping-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Richard Barnes.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-duplication-grouping/

Technical Summary

  Packet loss is undesirable for real-time multimedia sessions, but
  can occur due to congestion, or other unplanned network outages.
  This is especially true for IP multicast networks, where packet loss
  patterns can vary greatly between receivers.  One technique that can
  be used to recover from packet loss without incurring unbounded
  delay for all the receivers is to duplicate the packets and send
  them in separate redundant streams.  This document defines the
  semantics for grouping redundant streams in the Session Description
  Protocol (SDP).  The semantics defined in this document are to be
  used with the SDP Grouping Framework [RFC5888].  SSRC-level
  (Synchronization Source) grouping semantics are also defined in this
  document for RTP streams using SSRC multiplexing.

Working Group Summary

  There is WG consensus behind this draft. All issues raised during
  and before WGLC have been addressed.

Document Quality

  The document has received multiple reviews from working group
  participants and the document shepherd.  There is currently 
  at least one vendor implementing this mechanism and various
  other vendors have expressed interest for this technique. 

Personnel

Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area
Director?

  Ari Keranen is the Document Shepherd, and the Responsible Area
  Director is Gonzalo Camarillo.