Subject: RFC 7040 on Public IPv4-over-IPv6 Access Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:20:11 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7040

        Title:      Public IPv4-over-IPv6 Access Network 
        Author:     Y. Cui, J. Wu,
                    P. Wu, O. Vautrin,
                    Y. Lee
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27273
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7040.txt

This document describes a mechanism called Public 4over6, which is
designed to provide IPv4 Internet connectivity over an IPv6 access
network using global IPv4 addresses.  Public 4over6 was developed in
the IETF and is in use in some existing deployments but is not
recommended for new deployments.  Future deployments of similar
scenarios should use Lightweight 4over6.  Public 4over6 follows the
Hub and Spoke softwire model and uses an IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnel to
forward IPv4 packets over an IPv6 access network.  The
bidirectionality of the IPv4 communication is achieved by explicitly
allocating global non-shared IPv4 addresses to end users and by
maintaining IPv4-IPv6 address binding on the border relay.  Public
4over6 aims to provide uninterrupted IPv4 services to users, like
Internet Content Providers (ICPs), etc., while an operator makes the
access network transition to an IPv6-only access network.

This document is a product of the Softwires Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC