Subject: RFC 7080 on Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) Interoperability with Provider Backbone Bridges

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:22:36 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7080

        Title:      Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) 
                    Interoperability with Provider Backbone Bridges 
        Author:     A. Sajassi, S. Salam,
                    N. Bitar, F. Balus
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 61560
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-interop-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7080.txt

The scalability of Hierarchical Virtual Private LAN Service (H-VPLS)
with Ethernet access networks (RFC 4762) can be improved by
incorporating Provider Backbone Bridge functionality in the VPLS
access.  Provider Backbone Bridging has been standardized as IEEE
802.1ah-2008.  It aims to improve the scalability of Media Access
Control (MAC) addresses and service instances in Provider Ethernet
networks.  This document describes different interoperability
scenarios where Provider Backbone Bridge functionality is used in
H-VPLS with Ethernet or MPLS access network to attain better
scalability in terms of number of customer MAC addresses and number of
service instances.  The document also describes the scenarios and the
mechanisms for incorporating Provider Backbone Bridge functionality
within H-VPLS with existing Ethernet access and interoperability among
them.  Furthermore, the document discusses the migration mechanisms
and scenarios by which Provider Backbone Bridge functionality can be
incorporated into H-VPLS with existing MPLS access.

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC