Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-lsn-deployment-04.txt> (CGN Deployment with BGP/MPLS IP VPNs) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:21:14 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Operations and Management Area
Working Group WG (opsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'CGN Deployment with BGP/MPLS IP VPNs'
  <draft-ietf-opsawg-lsn-deployment-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-01-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies a framework to integrate a Network Address
   Translation layer into an operator's network to function as a Carrier
   Grade NAT (also known as CGN or Large Scale NAT).  The CGN
   infrastructure will often form a NAT444 environment as the subscriber
   home network will likely also maintain a subscriber side NAT
   function.  Exhaustion of the IPv4 address pool is a major driver
   compelling some operators to implement CGN.  Although operators may
   wish to deploy IPv6 to strategically overcome IPv4 exhaustion, near
   term needs may not be satisfied with an IPv6 deployment alone.  This
   document provides a practical integration model which allows the CGN
   platform to be integrated into the network, meeting the connectivity
   needs of the subscriber while being mindful of not disrupting
   existing services and meeting the technical challenges that CGN
   brings.  The model included in this document utilizes BGP/MPLS IP
   VPNs which allow for virtual routing separation helping ease the CGNs
   impact on the network.  This document does not intend to defend the
   merits of CGN.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-lsn-deployment/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-lsn-deployment/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.