Subject: RFC 7092 on A Taxonomy of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:23:12 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7092

        Title:      A Taxonomy of Session Initiation 
                    Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents 
        Author:     H. Kaplan, V. Pascual
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 22085
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-taxonomy-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7092.txt

In many SIP deployments, SIP entities exist in the SIP signaling path
between the originating and final terminating endpoints, which go
beyond the definition of a SIP proxy, performing functions not
defined in Standards Track RFCs.  The only term for such devices
provided in RFC 3261 is for a Back-to-Back User Agent (B2BUA), which
is defined as the logical concatenation of a SIP User Agent Server
(UAS) and User Agent Client (UAC).

There are numerous types of SIP B2BUAs performing different roles in
different ways; for example, IP Private Branch Exchanges (IPBXs),
Session Border Controllers (SBCs), and Application Servers (ASs).
This document identifies several common B2BUA roles in order to
provide taxonomy other documents can use and reference.

This document is a product of the Sip Traversal Required for Applications to Work Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC