Subject: Protocol Action: 'Operation of the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Protocol on IPFIX Mediators' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:21:35 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Operation of the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Protocol on IPFIX
   Mediators'
  (draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol/

Technical Summary

This document specifies the operation of the IP Flow Information
Export (IPFIX) protocol specific to IPFIX Mediators, including
Template and Observation Point management, timing considerations, and
other Mediator-specific concerns.

The document is intended to be a Proposed Standard.  It explains,
in detail, how IPFIX Mediators should be configured so that IPFIX
Exporters and Collectors can work properly (i.e. produce correct
expected behaviour) through them.

Working Group Summary

This draft was first submitted in December 2011.  Two of its authors
are also authors of the two IPFIX Mediation RFCs, 5982 and 6183.
Since then it has received ongoing low-activity-level discussion on
the IPFIX list.  It has also been discussed at each IETF meeting since
then; consensus from those meetings was that the work covered by this
draft was needed so that IPFIX mediators could be deployed and used
effectively.

The draft acknowledges that this work on this is partially supported
by the mPlane project, implying that there is strong interest in it
within mPlane.

Document Quality

The document has recieved careful review by Rahul Patel, Paul Aitken and Andrew
Ferren

Personnel

Document shepherd: Nevil Brownlee
Responsible Area Director: Joel Jaegli