Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsec-vpn-leakages-02.txt> (Virtual Private Network (VPN) traffic leakages in dual-stack hosts/ networks) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 04:53:48 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Operational Security
Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure WG (opsec) to consider the
following document:
- 'Virtual Private Network (VPN) traffic leakages in dual-stack hosts/
   networks'
  <draft-ietf-opsec-vpn-leakages-02.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-12-16. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The subtle way in which the IPv6 and IPv4 protocols co-exist in
   typical networks, together with the lack of proper IPv6 support in
   popular Virtual Private Network (VPN) products, may inadvertently
   result in VPN traffic leaks.  That is, traffic meant to be
   transferred over a VPN connection may leak out of such connection and
   be transferred in the clear from the local network to the final
   destination.  This document discusses some scenarios in which such
   VPN leakages may occur, either as a side effect of enabling IPv6 on a
   local network, or as a result of a deliberate attack from a local
   attacker.  Additionally, it discusses possible mitigations for the
   aforementioned issue.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-vpn-leakages/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-vpn-leakages/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.