Subject: Protocol Action: 'Byte and Packet Congestion Notification' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:45:07 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Byte and Packet Congestion Notification'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-12.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest/

Technical Summary

  This document provides recommendations of best current practice for
  dropping or marking packets using active queue management (AQM) such
  as random early detection (RED) or pre-congestion notification (PCN).
  We give three strong recommendations: (1) packet size should be taken
  into account when transports read and respond to congestion
  indications, (2) packet size should not be taken into account when
  network equipment creates congestion signals (marking, dropping), and
  therefore (3) the byte-mode packet drop variant of the RED AQM
  algorithm that drops fewer small packets should not be used.  This
  memo updates RFC 2309 to deprecate deliberate preferential treatment
  of small packets in AQM algorithms. 

Working Group Summary

There was consensus to publish this as a WG document and agreement at
IETF-82 that the document was now complete. Since then there have been a
number of revisions to address WG feedback. 

Document Quality

Annexe A summarises a survey by the original authors showing deployment of
the techniques by router vendors. The recommendations are thought to be in
line with that of IETF groups, such as TSVWG, TCPM, PCN, and are
considered good advice for use in the general Internet. 

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd Gorry Fairhurst ([email-masked]).
   The responsible Area Director is Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked]).

RFC Editor Note

Please change the Updates header:
OLD
Updates: 2309 (if approved)
NEW:
Updates: 2309 and BCP 41 (if approved)