Subject: Transitioning to xml2rfc v2

From: RFC Series Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:07:19 -0800

In 2006, the RFC Editor began using xml2rfc v1 (if authors submitted an XML 
file) as part of the editing process for RFCs.  The code base for xml2rfc v1, 
however, was not easily supported and so work began on creating a much more 
supportable version of the code.  This new code base, xml2rfc v2, has been in 
testing for over a year and is now ready for production use by authors.  Starting 
1 January 2014, authors are encouraged to use the xml2rfc v2 software.  This 
software is available for use online at  http://xml.resource.org, or it can be 
installed locally.   

The new xml2rfc includes a validation step against the DTD, making the tool 
much more strict in what it will accept.  An XML file that you used with xml2rfc 
v1 may need some updates in order to run with xml2rfc v2.

We strongly encourage the use of xml2rfc v2, but the RFC Editor will continue 
to accept Internet-Drafts created using v1 that are approved for publication 
until 30 June 2014.  After that date, all XML files submitted to the RFC Editor 
must be compliant with xml2rfc v2.  Authors may also continue to submit 
documents in nroff or txt.

If you have questions about xml2rfc v2, please send them to the xml2rfc 
mailing list <[email-masked]>.

Heather Flanagan, RFC Series Editor
Jari Arkko, IETF Chair