Subject: Protocol Action: 'The JSON Data Interchange Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-json-rfc4627bis-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:02:10 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The JSON Data Interchange Format'
  (draft-ietf-json-rfc4627bis-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the JavaScript Object Notation Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-json-rfc4627bis/

Technical Summary

   This document is an update to RFC 4627, the RFC that describes the
   JSON format. (Note that there two other independent definitions of
   JSON: json.org, and ECMA-262 (Edition 5.1, June 2011). This document
   is a minimal update to RFC 4627 that corrects some errors, adds a bit
   of clarification, and points out topics where there have been
   interoperability issues since RFC 4627 was published. As stated in
   the charter, this document is meant to be a Proposed Standard.

Working Group Summary

   The WG went through a couple of phases during the review, with some
   folks wanting to fix a lot of things, some wanting to basicly push it
   out untouched, and still others wanting a light touch with useful
   notes. In then end, there was rough group consensus for the latter.

   Near the end of the review cycle, Ecma issued a new document that
   defined (mostly) just the syntax for JSON, Standard ECMA-404. The
   syntaxes in this document and ECMA-404 appear identical. It is
   worthwhile noting that the syntaxes are described in different
   languages (this document uses ABNF, the Ecma document uses
   racetrack-style pictures).

   Note: The WG charter says:
     The resulting document will be jointly published as an RFC and by
     ECMA. ECMA participants will be participating in the working group
     editing through the normal process of working group participation.
     The responsible AD will coordinate the approval process with ECMA
     so that the versions of the document that are approved by each body
     are the same.
   None of that happened. This document stands on its own, as does
   ECMA-404 and upcoming revision to the ECMAScript standard.

Document Quality

   This document had a wonderfully wide and deep review. The WG had a
   high number of IETF regulars and newcomers. Although we had little
   input from the members of TC39 in Ecma, we had lots of input from the
   larger JSON-using community, including many active developers of JSON
   libraries.

Personnel

   Paul Hoffman (one of the WG co-chairs) is the document shepherd.
   Pete Resnick is the responsible AD.