Subject: Protocol Action: 'File Transfer Protocol HOST Command for Virtual Hosts' to Proposed Standard (draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftpext-ftp-hosts-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 13:29:59 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'File Transfer Protocol HOST Command for Virtual Hosts'
  (draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftpext-ftp-hosts-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftpext-ftp-hosts/

Technical Summary

This document defines a new FTP command that provides a mechanism for
FTP clients and servers to identify individual virtual hosts on an FTP
server.

Review and Consensus

The extension is straightforward. The first version of this draft was
published in 2007. Various alternatives were proposed before the final
version was chosen; the alternatives are discussed in an appendix, along
with reasons that they were not chosen. Several companies have already
implemented the FTP HOST command (on the client and the server sides),
so it's beginning to gain industry acceptance even though it has yet to be
formally published.

All discussion occurred on the FTP Extensions mailing list. Before the
FTP Extensions working group disbanded, the working group was solidly
behind this.  Minor editorial issues were found during shepherd and AD
review and the document was revised.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Tony Hansen. The responsible Area Director is
Barry Leiba.