Subject: Protocol Action: 'Delayed Duplication Attribute in the Session Description Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mmusic-delayed-duplication-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 04:25:09 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Delayed Duplication Attribute in the Session Description Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-mmusic-delayed-duplication-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Richard Barnes.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-delayed-duplication/

Technical Summary

   A straightforward approach to provide protection against packet
   losses due to network outages with a longest duration of T time units
   is to simply duplicate the original packets and send each copy
   separated in time by at least T time units.  This approach is
   commonly referred to as Time-shifted Redundancy, Temporal Redundancy
   or simply Delayed Duplication.  This document defines an attribute to
   indicate the presence of temporally redundant media streams and the
   duplication delay in the Session Description Protocol.

Working Group Summary

  There is WG consensus behind this draft. All issues raised during
  and before WGLC have been addressed.

Document Quality

  The document has received reviews from working group participants
  both at MMUSIC and AVTEXT and the document shepherd.  There is
  currently at least one vendor implementing this mechanism and
  various other vendors have expressed interest for this technique.

Personnel

Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area
Director?

  Ari Keranen is the Document Shepherd, and the Responsible Area
  Director is Gonzalo Camarillo.

RFC Editor's Note

  Please add the following site as a reference to Lucky 13 mentioned in Section 5.
  http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/tls/Lucky13.html