Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Method for Generating Semantically Opaque Interface Identifiers with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:54:50 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Method for Generating Semantically Opaque Interface Identifiers with
   IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)'
  (draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ted Lemon.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses/

Technical Summary:

   This document specifies a method for generating IPv6 Interface
   Identifiers to be used with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
   (SLAAC), such that addresses configured using this method are stable
   within each subnet, but the Interface Identifier changes when hosts
   move from one network to another.  This method is meant to be an
   alternative to generating Interface Identifiers based on hardware
   addresses (e.g., IEEE LAN MAC addresses), such that the benefits of
   stable addresses can be achieved without sacrificing the privacy of
   users.  The method specified in this document applies to all prefixes
   a host may be employing, including link-local, global, and unique-
   local addresses.

Working Group Summary:

  This document was sent back to the working group based on the number of
  comments received during the IETF last call.  The current document is
  significantly improved.   After a long discussion, another working
  group last call was done with support from the w.g.  The chairs had two
  reviewers, Ray Hunter and Mark Smith, did a detailed review of the
  draft.  This resulted in several changes in the current draft (-14).
  The reviewers have told us that the new draft resolves the issues they
  raised.  The w.g. chairs believe the draft is ready to send to the IESG
  again. 

  In addition Alissa Cooper revised the document and is working on a draft
  that provides an overview of the privacy considerations with all types of
  IPv6 addresses.

Document Quality:

   No implementations known.

Personnel:

  Bob Hinden is the Document Shepherd. 

  Brian Haberman is the Responsible Area Director.