Subject: RFC 7104 on Duplication Grouping Semantics in the Session Description Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:05:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7104

        Title:      Duplication Grouping Semantics in the 
                    Session Description Protocol 
        Author:     A. Begen, Y. Cai,
                    H. Ou
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 17719
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mmusic-duplication-grouping-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7104.txt

Packet loss is undesirable for real-time multimedia sessions, but it
can occur due to congestion or other unplanned network outages.  This
is especially true for IP multicast networks, where packet loss
patterns can vary greatly between receivers.  One technique that can
be used to recover from packet loss without incurring unbounded delay
for all the receivers is to duplicate the packets and send them in
separate redundant streams.  This document defines the semantics for
grouping redundant streams in the Session Description Protocol (SDP).
The semantics defined in this document are to be used with the SDP
Grouping Framework.  Grouping semantics at the Synchronization Source
(SSRC) level are also defined in this document for RTP streams using
SSRC multiplexing.

This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC