Subject: Document Action: 'Reclassification of RFC 1142 to Historic' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-isis-rfc1142-to-historic-00.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:04:17 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Reclassification of RFC 1142 to Historic'
  (draft-ietf-isis-rfc1142-to-historic-00.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-rfc1142-to-historic/

Technical Summary

   RFC 1142[RFC1142] was a republication of ISO DP 10589 originally provided as
   a service to the Internet community.  However, ISO DP 10589 was an ISO
   "Draft Proposal" which differed in a considerable number of significant
   respects from the final standardised version published as ISO/IEC
   10589[ISO10589-First-Edition], and subsequently revised as ISO/IEC 10589
   second edition[ISO10589-Second-Edition].  It has been an ongoing source of
   confusion when RFC 1142 has been unwittingly quoted or referenced in place
   of ISO/IEC 10589 itself.

   This document obsoletes RFC 1142 and moves it to historic status. This approach
   is taken rather than simply moving 1142 to historic so that a document will be 
   published that presents an overview of the reasoning.

Working Group Summary:

   No controversy and quickly moved forward with full support.

Document Quality:

   N/A

Personnel:

   Christian Hopps is the Document Shepherd
   Adrian Farrel is the Responsible Area Director

RFC Editor Note

Section 1
OLD:
     All references to IS-IS should be to ISO/IEC 10589:2002, Second
     Edition and RFC 1142 is only of historic interest.
NEW:
     All references to IS-IS should be to the latest edition of the IS-IS
     standard (currently ISO/IEC 10589:2002, Second
     Edition), and RFC 1142 is only of historic interest.
END

Section 1
OLD
   This memo reclassifies RFC 1142, OSI IS-IS Intra-domain Routing
   Protocol, to Historic status.  This memo also obsoletes RFC 1142.
NEW
   This memo explains why RFC 1142, OSI IS-IS Intra-domain Routing
   Protocol is reclassified to Historic status.  This memo also obsoletes
   RFC 1142.
END