Subject: Protocol Action: 'Information Elements for Data Link Layer Traffic Measurement' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipfix-data-link-layer-monitoring-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 09:33:45 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Information Elements for Data Link Layer Traffic Measurement'
  (draft-ietf-ipfix-data-link-layer-monitoring-08.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipfix-data-link-layer-monitoring/

Technical Summary

This document describes Information Elements (IEs) related to data
link layer.  They are used by the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)
protocol for encoding measured data link layer traffic information.

The document is intended to be a Proposed Standard.  It describes,
in detail, a set of Information Elements describing link-layer
objects.  These will be particularly to service providers who use
Wide-Area Ethernet or Virtual Ethernet technologies.

Working Group Summary

This draft's -00 version was published in July 2012. Two of its
authors were from a large Japanese provider who needed to monitor and
report on link-layer performance.  Since then it has received ongoing
low-activity-level discussion on the IPFIX list.  It has also been
discussed at each IETF meeting since then; alas, the WG has always
considered this as low-priority work.

Document Quality

Its WGLC was run in October 2012; we realised at that point that we
needed someone from IEEE 802.1 to check that our Ethernet IEs were
correct in their descriptions of the IEEE-defined technologies.
Pat Thaler, IEEE liaison for IETF, has helped develop this document
since then, she confirms that the IEEE-related IEs are correct in
their descriptions.

It has been carefully reviewed by Paul Aitken and Brian Trammell,
both pointed out issues; these have been addressed in successive
versions.

Overall I believe that there is clear consensus within the WG for
this draft.

Personnel

Document shepherd: Nevil Brownlee
Responsible Area Director: Benoit Claise
'The IANA Expert(s) for the registries in this document 
are the IPFIX Information Element (IE) doctors 
( [email-masked] ). The IPFIX IE doctors 
reviewed and approved the IEs in this document.