Subject: RFC 7108 on A Summary of Various Mechanisms Deployed at L-Root for the Identification of Anycast Nodes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 21:18:34 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7108

        Title:      A Summary of Various Mechanisms 
                    Deployed at L-Root for the Identification 
                    of Anycast Nodes 
        Author:     J. Abley, T. Manderson
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       January 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24125
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-jabley-dnsop-anycast-mapping-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7108.txt

Anycast is a deployment technique commonly employed for
authoritative-only servers in the Domain Name System (DNS).  L-Root,
one of the thirteen root servers, is deployed in this fashion.

Various techniques have been used to map deployed anycast
infrastructure externally, i.e., without reference to inside
knowledge about where and how such infrastructure has been deployed.
Motivations for performing such measurement exercises include
operational troubleshooting and infrastructure risk assessment.  In
the specific case of L-Root, the ability to measure and map anycast
infrastructure using the techniques mentioned in this document is
provided for reasons of operational transparency.

This document describes all facilities deployed at L-Root to
facilitate mapping of its infrastructure and serves as documentation
for L-Root as a measurable service.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC