Subject: Document Action: 'Software-Defined Networking: A Perspective From Within A Service Provider' to Informational RFC (draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 13:40:16 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Software-Defined Networking: A Perspective From Within A Service
   Provider'
  (draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-09.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach/

Technical Summary

   Software-Defined Networking (SDN) has been one of the major buzz
   words of the networking industry for the past couple of years.  And
   yet, no clear definition of what SDN actually covers has been broadly
   admitted so far.  This document aims at contributing to the
   clarification of the SDN landscape by providing a perspective on
   requirements, issues and other considerations about SDN, as seen from
   within a service provider environment.

   It is not meant to endlessly discuss what SDN truly means, but rather
   to suggest a functional taxonomy of the techniques that can be used
   under a SDN umbrella and to elaborate on the various pending issues
   the combined activation of such techniques inevitably raises.  As
   such, a definition of SDN is only mentioned for the sake of
   clarification.

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual submission not the product of a working
   group.

   The document was discussed within the SDNRG of the IRTF
   from where useful feedback was gathered. One of the chairs
   of the SDNRG and the chair of the IRTF have both confirmed
   that they are OK with progressing this as an individual 
   submission. Doing that has led to IETF last call which 
   generated some additional feedback.

   Care has been taken to word the document such that it can
   gain IETF consensus for its content rather than just being the
   authors' viewpoint.

Document Quality

   This is an Informational I-D and not the subject of anything
   that can be directly implemented.

   The sponsoring AD reviewed the document and gave a 
   number of comments that led to updates.

Personnel

   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Document 
   Shepherd and Responsible Area Director.