Subject: RFC 7048 on Neighbor Unreachability Detection Is Too Impatient

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 13:46:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7048

        Title:      Neighbor Unreachability Detection 
                    Is Too Impatient 
        Author:     E. Nordmark, I. Gashinsky
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 17946
        Updates:    RFC 4861

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-impatient-nud-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7048.txt

IPv6 Neighbor Discovery includes Neighbor Unreachability Detection.
That function is very useful when a host has an alternative neighbor
-- for instance, when there are multiple default routers -- since it
allows the host to switch to the alternative neighbor in a short
time.  By default, this time is 3 seconds after the node starts
probing.  However, if there are no alternative neighbors, this
timeout behavior is far too impatient.  This document specifies
relaxed rules for Neighbor Discovery retransmissions that allow an
implementation to choose different timeout behavior based on whether
or not there are alternative neighbors.  This document updates RFC
4861.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC