Subject: IETF Returning to Berlin for IETF 96

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 10:10:27 -0800

The IAOC is pleased to announce the IETF will be returning to Berlin for IETF 96, 
July 17 - 22, 2016.  If you attended IETF 87 in Berlin you were asked in the 
meeting survey whether you would like to return to the Berlin InterContinental for 
an IETF meeting.  96% of the respondents said Yes!  We are happy to oblige! 

We are looking for a Host and some sponsors for this meeting.  Contact Drew 
Dvorshak, dvorshak at isoc.org, if you have any interest.

Other News - IETFs 95, 96 & 97 in 2016

The IAOC adopted a policy that we would select the IETF meeting venues three years 
in advance.  So, ordinarily we would have made announcements for the first 2 of the
3 meetings for 2016 in 2013, but 2013 turned out to be a challenging year for 
contracting.  The target regions for 2016 were Europe, the Americas, and Asia in that
order, and work began early in the year to identify and qualify venues for those 
regions.  Typically, arrangements for the third meeting carry over into the first 
quarter of the next year.  

There was interest in having an IETF meeting in Latin America. Due diligence 
included a site visit there in late February, followed by a Meetings Committee and 
IAOC review of the feasibility, and a decision to discuss the possibility with the 
community was made by the IAOC.  

The IAOC authorized negotiations in Buenos Aires to began in earnest on 20 June for
IETF 95 in April 2016 after receiving feedback from the community from a survey and 
comments on the list.  I wish I could tell you that we have a contract.  However, 
economic uncertainty in the country, among other things, has made it difficult to 
close on a deal.  But we are still at it, including looking at other options in Buenos 
Aires. 

Moving the Americas to April meant we needed to move Europe to July 2016.  The 
successful meeting in Berlin and the attendees strong desire to return greatly 
influenced the decision to return.  However, we could not close on a contract with the
 hotel until all the VAT administrative work was completed and that didn’t happen 
until 19 December.

As for Asia I expect we will have something to announce at or before IETF 90 in 
Toronto.  

Only 26 days until IETF 89 in London!  Register here: 
<https://www.ietf.org/meeting/89/index.html>. 

See you there!

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director

2014

IETF 89  London  Hilton Metropole  March 2 - 7  Host:  ICANN
IETF 90  Toronto  Fairmont Royal York Hotel  July 20 - 25  Host:  In 
Discussions
IETF 91  Honolulu  Hilton Hawaiian Village  Nov 9 - 14  Host: Cisco

2015

IETF 92  Dallas  March 22 - 27  Host:  Your Name Here
IETF 93  Prague	  July 19 - 24  Host:  Your Name Here
IETF 94  Yokohama  Nov 1 - 6  Host:  WIDE