Subject: RFC 7136 on Significance of IPv6 Interface Identifiers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 20:26:16 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7136

        Title:      Significance of IPv6 Interface Identifiers 
        Author:     B. Carpenter, S. Jiang
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 23172
        Updates:    RFC 4291

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-ug-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7136.txt

The IPv6 addressing architecture includes a unicast interface
identifier that is used in the creation of many IPv6 addresses.
Interface identifiers are formed by a variety of methods.  This
document clarifies that the bits in an interface identifier have no
meaning and that the entire identifier should be treated as an opaque
value.  In particular, RFC 4291 defines a method by which the
Universal and Group bits of an IEEE link-layer address are mapped
into an IPv6 unicast interface identifier.  This document clarifies
that those two bits are significant only in the process of deriving
interface identifiers from an IEEE link-layer address, and it updates
RFC 4291 accordingly.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC