Subject: RFC 7088 on Session Initiation Protocol Service Example -- Music on Hold

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 20:25:05 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7088

        Title:      Session Initiation Protocol Service Example 
                    -- Music on Hold 
        Author:     D. Worley
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      36
        Characters: 69311
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-worley-service-example-15.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7088.txt

"Music on hold" is one of the features of telephone systems that is
most desired by buyers of business telephone systems.  Music on hold
means that when one party to a call has the call "on hold", that
party's telephone provides an audio stream (often music) to be heard
by the other party.  Architectural features of SIP make it difficult
to implement music on hold in a way that is fully standards-compliant.
The implementation of music on hold described in this
document is fully effective, is standards-compliant, and has a number
of advantages over the methods previously documented.  In particular,
it is less likely to produce peculiar user interface effects and more
likely to work in systems that perform authentication than the music-
on-hold method described in Section 2.3 of RFC 5359.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC