Subject: Protocol Action: 'Multipoint Label Distribution Protocol In-Band Signaling in a VRF Context' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-l3vpn-mldp-vrf-in-band-signaling-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 14:25:18 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multipoint Label Distribution Protocol In-Band Signaling in a VRF
   Context'
  (draft-ietf-l3vpn-mldp-vrf-in-band-signaling-03.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mldp-vrf-in-band-signaling/

Technical Summary

   An IP Multicast Distribution Tree (MDT) may traverse both label
   switching (i.e. - Multi-Protocol Label Switching, or MPLS) and non-
   label switching regions of a network.  Typically the MDT begins and
   ends in non-MPLS regions, but travels through an MPLS region.  In
   such cases, it can be useful to begin building the MDT as a pure IP
   MDT, then convert it to an MPLS Multipoint Label Switched Path (MP-
   LSP) when it enters an MPLS-enabled region, and then convert it back
   to a pure IP MDT when it enters a non-MPLS-enabled region.  Other
   documents specify the procedures for building such a hybrid MDT,
   using Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) in the non-MPLS region of
   the network, and using Multipoint Extensions to Label Distribution
   Protocol (mLDP) in the MPLS region.  This document extends those
   procedures to handle the case where the link connecting the two
   regions is a "Virtual Routing and Forwarding Table" (VRF) link, as
   defined in the "BGP IP/MPLS VPN" specifications.  However, this
   document is primarily aimed at particular use cases where VRFs are
   used to support multicast applications other than Multicast VPN.

Working Group Summary

   The WG supports this Document and its progress.

Document Quality

   Two implementations of this protocol specification are known.
   The Document has been reviewed by experts and these experts are acknowledged
   in the appropriate section of the Document.

Personnel

   Martin Vigoureux (L3VPN co-chair) is the Document Shepherd
   Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director

RFC Editor Note

At the end of the Security section, new para:

Operators MUST configure packet filters to ensure that 
the mechanism described in this memo does not cause 
non-global-scoped IPv6 multicast packets to be tunneled 
outside their intended scope.

====

The last but on paragraph of Section 1

OLD
encoded into the mLDP FEC element.
NEW
encoded into the mLDP FEC element in what this document terms "mLDP
in-band signaling."
END

=====

- 1 page 5: too many 'o' in 'co-oordination'

====

Please add the following terms to Terminology

UMH: Upstream Multicast Hop, the upstream router in that is in the path to reach the source of the multicast flow.

RPA: Rendezvous Point Address, the address that is used as the root of the distribution tree for a range of multicast groups.

RD: Route Distinguisher, an identifier that makes a route unique in the context of a VRF.