Subject: Document Action: 'Handling of Internet Drafts by IETF Working Groups' to Informational RFC (draft-crocker-id-adoption-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:54:02 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Handling of Internet Drafts by IETF Working Groups'
  (draft-crocker-id-adoption-09.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-crocker-id-adoption/

Technical Summary

This document describes the typical processes that working groups use to
"adopt" documents as working group drafts.  As it's describing an
informal process, for information and informal guidance to the
community, it is Informational (not BCP).

Review and Consensus

There was some discussion of the document on the IETF discussion list
for a few days in May and June, about 35 messages mostly under the
subject line "When to adopt a WG I-D".  The main substantive discussion
was with respect to "adoption" not being a formal part of the process,
and making sure that the document doesn't make it sound like it is. 
There's some concern that even having it document might be problematic. 
"Is this defining process?"  "Should this be an RFC, or done another way
(wiki, tutorial)?"  Apart from that, the comments were positive,
favouring the document and making suggestions.  There were a reasonable
number of participants commenting.

There was only very moderate discussion during last call, leading to a few
editorial changes.

Personnel

Barry Leiba is the document shepherd and the responsible Area Director.