Subject: Document Action: 'Requirements for Ethernet VPN (EVPN)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-req-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:12:52 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Requirements for Ethernet VPN (EVPN)'
  (draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-req-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-req/

Technical Summary

The widespread adoption of Ethernet L2VPN services and the advent 
of new applications for the technology (e.g., data center interconnect) 
have culminated in a new set of requirements that are not readily 
addressable by the current Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) solution. 
In particular, multi-homing with all-active forwarding is not supported 
and there's no existing solution to leverage Multipoint-to-Multipoint 
(MP2MP) LSPs for optimizing the delivery of multi-destination frames. 
Furthermore, the provisioning of VPLS, even in the context of 
BGP-based auto-discovery, requires network operators to specify 
various network parameters on top of the access configuration. 
This document specifies the requirements for an Ethernet VPN 
(EVPN) solution which addresses the above issues.

Working Group Summary

This document is an L2VPN Working Group document, and has been 
reviewed in the working group through multiple iterations of the draft.  
There was considerable debate during and after the WG last call which 
resulted in new revisions being issued to resolve various comments.

Document Quality

The document provides a clear and concise set of requirements 
for E-VPN - broken down into different requirement areas.  As a 
requirements draft there is no protocol to implement.

Personnel

 Document Shepherd: Giles Heron ([email-masked])
 Area Director: Stewart Bryant ([email-masked])