Subject: BCP 41, RFC 7141 on Byte and Packet Congestion Notification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:13:14 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 41        
        RFC 7141

        Title:      Byte and Packet Congestion Notification 
        Author:     B. Briscoe, J. Manner
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      48
        Characters: 123953
        Updates:    2309

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7141.txt

   This document provides recommendations of best current practice for
   dropping or marking packets using any active queue management (AQM)
   algorithm, including random early detection (RED), BLUE, pre-
   congestion notification (PCN) and newer schemes such as CoDel
   (Controlled Delay) and PIE (Proportional Integral controller
   Enhanced).  We give three strong recommendations: (1) packet size
   should be taken into account when transports detect and respond to
   congestion indications, (2) packet size should not be taken into
   account when network equipment creates congestion signals (marking,
   dropping), and therefore (3) in the specific case of RED, the byte-
   mode packet drop variant that drops fewer small packets should not be
   used.  This memo updates RFC 2309 to deprecate deliberate
   preferential treatment of small packets in AQM algorithms.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC