Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels-05.txt> (Allocating and Retiring Special Purpose MPLS Labels) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:08:47 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document:
- 'Allocating and Retiring Special Purpose MPLS Labels'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-03-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Some MPLS labels have been allocated for specific purposes.  A block
   of labels (0-15) has been set aside to this end, and are commonly
   called "reserved labels".  They will be called "special purpose
   labels" in this document.

   As there are only 16 of these special purpose labels, caution is
   needed in the allocation of new special purpose labels, yet at the
   same time allow forward progress when one is called for.

   This memo defines new procedures to follow in the allocation and
   retirement of special purpose labels, as well as a method to extend
   the special purpose label space.  Finally, this memo renames the IANA
   registry for these labels to "Special Purpose MPLS Label Values", and
   creates a new one called the "Extended Special Purpose MPLS Label
   Values" registry.

   This document updates a number of previous RFCs that used the term
   "reserved label".

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.