Subject: RFC 7149 on Software-Defined Networking: A Perspective from within a Service Provider Environment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 07:08:06 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7149

        Title:      Software-Defined Networking: A Perspective from 
                    within a Service Provider Environment 
        Author:     M. Boucadair, C. Jacquenet
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 47516
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7149.txt

Software-Defined Networking (SDN) has been one of the major buzz
words of the networking industry for the past couple of years.  And
yet, no clear definition of what SDN actually covers has been broadly
admitted so far.  This document aims to clarify the SDN landscape by
providing a perspective on requirements, issues, and other
considerations about SDN, as seen from within a service provider
environment.

It is not meant to endlessly discuss what SDN truly means but rather
to suggest a functional taxonomy of the techniques that can be used
under an SDN umbrella and to elaborate on the various pending issues
the combined activation of such techniques inevitably raises.  As
such, a definition of SDN is only mentioned for the sake of
clarification.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC