Subject: Protocol Action: 'Allocating and Retiring Special Purpose MPLS Labels' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 10:08:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Allocating and Retiring Special Purpose MPLS Labels'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alia Atlas and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels/

Technical Summary

   Some MPLS labels have been allocated for specific purposes.  A block
   of labels (0-15) has been set aside to this end, and are commonly
   called "reserved labels". As there are only 16 of these special purpose 
   labels, caution is needed in the allocation of new special purpose labels,
   yet at the same time allow forward progress when one is called for.

   This document defines new procedures to follow in the allocation and
   retirement of special purpose labels, as well as a method to extend
   the special purpose label space.  Finally, this memo renames the IANA
   registry for these labels to "Special Purpose MPLS Label Values", and
   creates a new one called the "Extended Special Purpose MPLS Label
   Values" registry.

Working Group Summary

  no controversy. Some contructive discussion of the details. 

Document Quality

   The document has been well reviewed, and has been updated to reflect
   comments received in WG last call. Due to the nature of this document it
   needs to be published in final form (as an RFC) prior to implementation
   but authors and reviewers include multiple vendors who would need to 
   implement the extension to the special purpose label space. 

Personnel

   Ross Callon is the document shepherd. The AD for MPLS (Adrian 
   Farrel) is co-author, and so the other routing AD (Alia Atlas) will
   act as responsible AD.  

RFC Editor Note

Please update the Abstract as follows:

OLD
   This memo defines new procedures to follow in the allocation and
   retirement of special purpose labels, as well as a method to extend
   the special purpose label space.
NEW
   This memo defines new procedures to follow in the allocation and
   retirement of special purpose labels, as well as a method to extend
   the special purpose label space and a decription of how to handle 
   extended special purpose labels in the data plane.