Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Guidance for Managing the ULE Next-Header Registry' to Proposed Standard (draft-fairhurst-ipdvb-ule-iana-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:28:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IANA Guidance for Managing the ULE Next-Header Registry'
  (draft-fairhurst-ipdvb-ule-iana-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fairhurst-ipdvb-ule-iana/

 Technical Summary

   This document proposes an update to RFC 4326 to clarify and update
   the allocation rules for the Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation
   (ULE) next header registry.  This registry is used by ULE and Generic
   Stream Encapsulation (GSE) to record the codepoints of extension
   headers and protocols supported by these encapsulation protocols.

 Working Group Summary

  The IPDVB working group has been closed for awhile.  This document
  updates a registry that was created to support the ULE protocol that
  came out of that working group.  While the working group is closed,
  the editor has worked with others that were active in the group to
  solicit reviews, and has been engaged with the other SDO participants
  that use this.

  The first version of the draft was posted to the TM-GBS reflector
  (used by the DVB Consortium in working on the DVB specifications),
  and it received feedback from the chair and Hans-Peter Lexow.

 Document Quality

  There is not a new protocol described in this document.  The text
  describing the registry changes is very clear and unambiguous.  The
  document quality is good.

 Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Wes Eddy ([email-masked])
  Area Director: Brian Haberman ([email-masked])

RFC Editor Note

OLD:
   2.  256-511 (decimal) IANA-assigned values, indicating Optional
       Extension Headers.  The entry MUST define the need
       for the Optional Extension and the intended use.  [RFC4326] made
       initial assignments to this range of values in the registry,
       updated by later requests.

NEW:
   2.  256-511 (decimal) IANA-assigned values, indicating Optional
       Extension Headers.  The entry MUST . It MUST also define the need
       for the Optional Extension and the intended use.  [RFC4326] made
       initial assignments to this range of values in the registry,
       updated by later requests.