Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-radext-dtls-10.txt> (DTLS as a Transport Layer for RADIUS) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:37:57 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the RADIUS EXTensions WG (radext) to
consider the following document:
- 'DTLS as a Transport Layer for RADIUS'
  <draft-ietf-radext-dtls-10.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-04-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The RADIUS protocol defined in RFC 2865 has limited support for
   authentication and encryption of RADIUS packets.  The protocol
   transports data in the clear, although some parts of the packets can
   have obfuscated content.  Packets may be replayed verbatim by an
   attacker, and client-server authentication is based on fixed shared
   secrets.  This document specifies how the Datagram Transport Layer
   Security (DTLS) protocol may be used as a fix for these problems.  It
   also describes how implementations of this proposal can co-exist with
   current RADIUS systems.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-radext-dtls/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-radext-dtls/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.