Subject: Protocol Action: 'An Acceptable Use Policy for New ICMP Types and Codes' to Best Current Practice (draft-shore-icmp-aup-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 09:12:39 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An Acceptable Use Policy for New ICMP Types and Codes'
  (draft-shore-icmp-aup-12.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shore-icmp-aup/

Technical Summary

   In this document we provide a basic description of ICMP's role in the 
   IP stack and some guidelines for future use.  This document is 
   motivated by concerns about lack of clarity  concerning when to add 
   new Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) types and/or codes.  
   These concerns have highlighted a need to describe policies for when 
   adding new features to ICMP is desirable and when it is not.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of any WG. It is AD sponsored. 
   However, it has been reviewed by the OPSAREA, INTAREA, and 6MAN WGs

Document Quality

   This is a very short document that offers very succinct guidance 
   regarding appropriate uses of  ICMP. 

Personnel

   Ron Bonica is document shepherd. Benoit Claise is sponsoring AD.