Subject: RFC 7090 on Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) Callback

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:02:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7090

        Title:      Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) 
                    Callback 
        Author:     H. Schulzrinne, H. Tschofenig,
                    C. Holmberg, M. Patel
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 37445
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ecrit-psap-callback-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7090.txt

After an emergency call is completed (terminated either prematurely
by the emergency caller or normally by the call taker), the call
taker may feel the need for further communication.  For example, the
call may have been dropped by accident without the call taker having
sufficient information about the current state of an accident victim.
A call taker may trigger a callback to the emergency caller using the
contact information provided with the initial emergency call.  This
callback could, under certain circumstances, be treated like any
other call and, as a consequence, it may get blocked by authorization
policies or may get forwarded to an answering machine.

The IETF emergency services architecture specification already offers
a solution approach for allowing Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP)
callbacks to bypass authorization policies in order to reach the
caller without unnecessary delays.  Unfortunately, the specified
mechanism only supports limited scenarios.  This document discusses
shortcomings of the current mechanisms and illustrates additional
scenarios where better-than-normal call treatment behavior would be
desirable.  We describe a solution based on a new header field value
for the SIP Priority header field, called "psap-callback", to mark
PSAP callbacks.

This document is a product of the Emergency Context Resolution with Internet Technologies Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC