Subject: Protocol Action: 'XML Media Types' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 15:15:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'XML Media Types'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes/

Technical Summary

This document updates (and thus replaces) the text of RFC3023, which defined
three XML media types.  Proposed Standard status is appropriate for this work.

Review and Consensus

The document received review from several APPSAWG participants as well as their
counterparts in the W3C.  There is good consensus to post the draft, though there
was one unsustained objection about the potential for harm, about which the
participant who raised the issue accepts that he's in the rough.  The document did go
through a period of neglect by the authors, and there was WG attrition (empty
WGLCs), but the WG managed to drive it to the point of being publication-ready.

While there is no longer an active XML Directorate, the XML experts in the
Applications Area all took part in discussion of this document.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Murray Kucherawy.
The responsible Area Director is Barry Leiba.

IANA Note

The registrations here correctly note this:
   Change controller:  The XML specification is a work product of the
      World Wide Web Consortium's XML Core Working Group.  The W3C has
      change control over this specification.

IANA should verify change control authorization by checking with our W3C
liaison, Wendy Seltzer <[email-masked]>, before making the requested changes.