Subject: Document Action: 'CGN Deployment with BGP/MPLS IP VPNs' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-opsawg-lsn-deployment-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 06:38:51 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'CGN Deployment with BGP/MPLS IP VPNs'
  (draft-ietf-opsawg-lsn-deployment-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-lsn-deployment/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a framework to
   integrate a Network Address Translation layer into an
   operator's network to function as a Carrier Grade NAT (also
   known as CGN or Large Scale NAT).  The CGN infrastructure
   will often form a NAT444 environment as the subscriber home
   network will likely also maintain a subscriber side NAT
   function.  The model included in this document utilizes
   BGP/MPLS IP VPNs which allow for virtual routing separation
   helping ease the CGNs impact on the network.  This document
   does not intend to defend the merits of CGN.

Working Group Summary

   While there was clear support for
   the document within the opsawg, there was little discussion
   and no comments during working group last call.  However, the
   authors were quite proactive about getting feedback from
   operators outside the working group context, and having
   that feedback posted to the working group mailing list, so
   we feel that the document received satisfactory expert
   review prior to and during last call.  (This was discussed
  with the OPS ADs after closing working group last call).

Document Quality

   This is a well-written document that
   clearly lays out the background, requirements, and
   deployment scenarios using straightforward, unambiguous
   language.  It received expert review from cable and telecomm
   operators during its development, and the authors are
   employed by Rogers Communication, a large Canadian telecomm
   firm. 

Personnel

   Melinda Shore is the document shepherd.
   Benoit Claise is the responsible area director