Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-uri-get-off-my-lawn-04.txt> (URI Design and Ownership) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 05:44:20 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Applications Area Working Group
WG (appsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'URI Design and Ownership'
  <draft-ietf-appsawg-uri-get-off-my-lawn-04.txt> as Best Current
Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-05-07. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC3986 Section 1.1.1 defines URI syntax as "a federated and
   extensible naming system wherein each scheme's specification may
   further restrict the syntax and semantics of identifiers using that
   scheme."  In other words, the structure of a URI is defined by its
   scheme.  While it is common for schemes to further delegate their
   substructure to the URI's owner, publishing independent standards
   that mandate particular forms of URI substructure is inappropriate,
   because that essentially usurps ownership.  This document further
   describes this problematic practice and provides some acceptable
   alternatives for use in standards.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-uri-get-off-my-lawn/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-uri-get-off-my-lawn/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.