Subject: Protocol Action: 'RDMA Protocol Extensions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-storm-rdmap-ext-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 07:36:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RDMA Protocol Extensions'
  (draft-ietf-storm-rdmap-ext-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the STORage Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-storm-rdmap-ext/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies extensions to the IETF Remote Direct Memory
   Access Protocol (RDMAP [RFC5040]). RDMAP provides read and write
   services directly to applications and enables data to be transferred
   directly into Upper Layer Protocol (ULP) Buffers without
   intermediate data copies. The extensions specified in this document
   provide the following capabilities and/or improvements: Atomic
   Operations and Immediate Data.

Working Group Summary

  The extensions add Atomic Operations and Immediate Data to the RDMAP
  Protocol.   Other RDMA transport protocols define the functionality added by
  these extensions leading to differences in RDMA applications and/or
  Upper Layer Protocols. Removing these differences in the transport
  protocols simplifies these applications and ULPs.

  The STORM Working Group chartered this work in mid-2011, and while
  no significant dissent was encountered, the document spent an extended
  time in the WG owing to other WG priorities. When work resumed in 2013,
  the document received substantial attention and review. Four update
  cycles resulted in the final text. There was no controversy and consensus
  was easily reached.

Document Quality

   The document is of high quality and is well written. The authors represent
   companies which deliver industry implementations of the RDDP protocol, and
   discussion in the STORM WG by developers of upper layers and applications
   indicated strong interest in using the extensions.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Tom Talpey (storm WG co-chair, [email-masked])
   Responsible Area Director: Martin Stiemerling (Transport, [email-masked])