Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-precis-framework-15.txt> (PRECIS Framework: Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 12:07:44 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Preparation and Comparison of
Internationalized Strings WG (precis) to consider the following document:
- 'PRECIS Framework: Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized
   Strings in Application Protocols'
  <draft-ietf-precis-framework-15.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-04-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Application protocols using Unicode characters in protocol strings
   need to properly prepare such strings in order to perform valid
   comparison operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or
   authorization).  This document defines a framework enabling
   application protocols to perform the preparation and comparison of
   internationalized strings ("PRECIS") in a way that depends on the
   properties of Unicode characters and thus is agile with respect to
   versions of Unicode.  As a result, this framework provides a more
   sustainable approach to the handling of internationalized strings
   than the previous framework, known as Stringprep (RFC 3454).  This
   document obsoletes RFC 3454.

This document makes a normative reference to RFC 20, which
predates document statuses and therefore may be a downward
reference.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.