Subject: RFC 7216 on Location Information Server (LIS) Discovery Using IP Addresses and Reverse DNS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7216

        Title:      Location Information Server (LIS) Discovery 
                    Using IP Addresses and Reverse DNS 
        Author:     M. Thomson, R. Bellis
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 39389
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-geopriv-res-gw-lis-discovery-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7216.txt

The residential gateway is a device that has become an integral part
of home networking equipment.  Discovering a Location Information
Server (LIS) is a necessary part of acquiring location information
for location-based services.  However, discovering a LIS when a
residential gateway is present poses a configuration challenge,
requiring a method that is able to work around the obstacle presented
by the gateway.

This document describes a solution to this problem.  The solution
provides alternative domain names as input to the LIS discovery
process based on the network addresses assigned to a Device.

This document is a product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC