Subject: Protocol Action: 'Label Advertisement Discipline for LDP FECs' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-applicability-label-adv-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:03:19 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Label Advertisement Discipline for LDP FECs'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-applicability-label-adv-03.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-applicability-label-adv/

Technical Summary

  The label advertising behavior of an LDP speaker for a given FEC is 
  governed by the FEC type and not necessarily by the LDP session's 
  negotiated label advertisement mode. This document updates RFC 5036 
  to make that fact clear, as well as updates RFC 3212, RFC 4447, RFC 
  5918, RFC 6388, and RFC 7140 by specifying the label advertisement 
  mode for all currently defined LDP FEC types. 

Working Group Summary

   There is a strong support for this document in the working group
   and it has been has been well reviewed.

   After AD review, the document was sent back to the WG for a
   substantial rewrite. A subsequent last call in the WG established
   support for the new revision.

   The document also got cleaned up during discussions with IANA
   in IETF last call (and that uncovered some bugs in the registry
   which was a whole lot of fun!).

Document Quality

   The document describes what is effectively deployed implementation
   behaviour. Any disagreements with this would have resulted in loud
   shouts during WG last call. Any divergence from this presumably led
   to embarrassed silence during which code was frantically fixed.

Personnel

   Loa Andersson ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

Please use the expansion "Forwarding Equivalence Class" for
FEC in the Abstract and on its first use.

Section 4
Please remove the following bullet:
       - For the existing FEC types, populate this column with the 
          values listed under section 2.2.  

IANA Note

IANA, please note the RFC Editor Note applying to the IANA Considerations section.