Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-salud-alert-info-urns-12.txt> (URNs for the Alert-Info Header Field of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:12:41 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Sip ALerting for User Devices WG
(salud) to consider the following document:
- 'URNs for the Alert-Info Header Field of the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP)'
  <draft-ietf-salud-alert-info-urns-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-04-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) supports the capability to
   provide a reference to a specific rendering to be used by the UA when
   the user is alerted.  This is done using the Alert-Info header field.
   However, the reference (typically a URL) addresses only a specific
   network resource with specific rendering properties.  There is
   currently no support for standard identifiers for describing the
   semantics of the alerting situation or the characteristics of the
   alerting signal, without being tied to a particular rendering.  To
   overcome these limitations and support new applications, a new family
   of URNs for use in Alert-Info header fields (and situations with
   similar requirements) is defined in this specification.

   This document normatively updates the RFC 3261, which defines the
   Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): It changes the usage of the Alert-
   Info header field defined in the RFC 3261 by additionally allowing
   its use in all provisional responses to INVITE (except the 100
   response).

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-salud-alert-info-urns/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-salud-alert-info-urns/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.