Subject: BCP 189, RFC 7279 on An Acceptable Use Policy for New ICMP Types and Codes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 14:47:33 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 189        
        RFC 7279

        Title:      An Acceptable Use Policy for 
                    New ICMP Types and Codes 
        Author:     M. Shore, C. Pignataro
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 17829
        See Also:   BCP 189

        I-D Tag:    draft-shore-icmp-aup-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7279.txt

In this document we provide a basic description of ICMP's role in the
IP stack and some guidelines for future use.

This document is motivated by concerns about lack of clarity
concerning when to add new Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
types and/or codes.  These concerns have highlighted a need to
describe policies for when adding new features to ICMP is desirable
and when it is not.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC