Subject: Document Action: 'Advanced Stream and Sampling Framework for IPPM' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 12:41:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Advanced Stream and Sampling Framework for IPPM'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update/

Technical Summary

   To obtain repeatable results in modern networks, test descriptions 
   need an expanded stream parameter framework that also augments 
   aspects specified as Type-P for test packets.  This memo updates
   the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Framework, RFC 2330, with 
   advanced considerations for measurement methodology and testing.  
   The existing framework mostly assumes deterministic connectivity, 
   and that a single test stream will represent the characteristics of the 
   path when it is aggregated with other flows.  Networks have evolved 
   and test stream descriptions must evolve with them, otherwise 
   unexpected network features may dominate the measured performance.  
   This memo describes new stream parameters for both network 
   characterization and support of application design using IPPM metrics.

Working Group Summary

   This draft was first introduced to the working group in October 2012. 
   Support for the draft was indicated at meetings with no dissent.

Document Quality

   As an update to the IPPM Framework, this document adds 
   new and updated considerations for stream parameters.

   The document shepherd reviewed the document as a “-02” 
   draft and reviewed the changes which constitute “-03” and “-04”.

   As documented, other topics in the IPPM Framework which 
   might be updated or augmented are deferred to future work.  This 
   includes the topics of passive and various forms of of hybrid 
   active/passive measurements.

Personnel

   The document shepherd was Bill Cerveny. The responsible 
   area director is Spencer Dawkins.