Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-17.txt> (Automatic Multicast Tunneling) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 05:26:05 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the MBONE Deployment WG (mboned) to
consider the following document:
- 'Automatic Multicast Tunneling'
  <draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-17.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-05-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes Automatic Multicast Tunneling (AMT), a
   protocol for delivering multicast traffic from sources in a
   multicast-enabled network to receivers that lack multicast
   connectivity to the source network.  The protocol uses UDP
   encapsulation and unicast replication to provide this functionality.

   The AMT protocol is specifically designed to support rapid deployment
   by requiring minimal changes to existing network infrastructure.

Additional Notes:

  History of this document is here:

  http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast/history/

  Original last call for this document was 2012-12-05 on draft 14
  The result was recorded as consensus in favor of publication. 

  Since then significant changes were performed to address IETF LC, 
  IANA, and IESG concerns. Given the long gestation period between
  -14 and draft -17 a  new LC and IESG review is considered advisable.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast/

A side-by-side diff of draft-14 and draft-17 is preserved here:

http://minorthreat.org/amt/Diff-draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-14.txt%20-%20draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-17.txt.html

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.