Subject: RFC 7162 on IMAP Extensions: Quick Flag Changes Resynchronization (CONDSTORE) and Quick Mailbox Resynchronization (QRESYNC)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 12:59:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7162

        Title:      IMAP Extensions: Quick Flag Changes 
                    Resynchronization (CONDSTORE) and 
                    Quick Mailbox Resynchronization (QRESYNC) 
        Author:     A. Melnikov, D. Cridland
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      52
        Characters: 111930
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4551, RFC 5162
        Updates:    RFC 2683

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-qresync-rfc5162bis-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7162.txt

Often, multiple IMAP (RFC 3501) clients need to coordinate changes to
a common IMAP mailbox.  Examples include different clients working on
behalf of the same user and multiple users accessing shared
mailboxes.  These clients need a mechanism to efficiently synchronize
state changes for messages within the mailbox.

Initially defined in RFC 4551, the Conditional Store facility
provides a protected update mechanism for message state information
and a mechanism for requesting only changes to the message state.
This memo updates that mechanism and obsoletes RFC 4551, based on
operational experience.

This document additionally updates another IMAP extension, Quick
Resynchronization, which builds on the Conditional STORE extension to
provide an IMAP client the ability to fully resynchronize a mailbox
as part of the SELECT/EXAMINE command, without the need for
additional server-side state or client round trips.  Hence, this memo
obsoletes RFC 5162.

Finally, this document also updates the line-length recommendation in
Section 3.2.1.5 of RFC 2683.

This document is a product of the IMAP QRESYNC Extension Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC