Subject: RFC 7172 on Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Fine-Grained Labeling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 23:15:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7172

        Title:      Transparent Interconnection of Lots of 
                    Links (TRILL): Fine-Grained Labeling 
        Author:     D. Eastlake 3rd, M. Zhang,
                    P. Agarwal, R. Perlman,
                    D. Dutt
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 61855
        Updates:    RFC 6325

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-fine-labeling-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7172.txt

The IETF has standardized Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links (TRILL), a protocol for least-cost transparent frame routing in
multi-hop networks with arbitrary topologies and link technologies,
using link-state routing and a hop count.  The TRILL base protocol
standard supports the labeling of TRILL Data packets with up to 4K IDs.
However, there are applications that require a larger number of labels
providing configurable isolation of data.  This document updates RFC
6325 by specifying optional extensions to the TRILL base protocol to
safely accomplish this.  These extensions, called fine-grained
labeling, are primarily intended for use in large data centers, that
is, those with more than 4K users requiring configurable data
isolation from each other.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC