Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-10.txt> (Peer-to-Peer Streaming Peer Protocol (PPSPP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 07:49:16 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Peer to Peer Streaming Protocol
WG (ppsp) to consider the following document:
- 'Peer-to-Peer Streaming Peer Protocol (PPSPP)'
  <draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-07-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Peer-to-Peer Streaming Peer Protocol (PPSPP) is a protocol for
   disseminating the same content to a group of interested parties in a
   streaming fashion.  PPSPP supports streaming of both pre-recorded
   (on-demand) and live audio/video content.  It is based on the peer-
   to-peer paradigm, where clients consuming the content are put on
   equal footing with the servers initially providing the content, to
   create a system where everyone can potentially provide upload
   bandwidth.  It has been designed to provide short time-till-playback
   for the end user, and to prevent disruption of the streams by
   malicious peers.  PPSPP has also been designed to be flexible and
   extensible.  It can use different mechanisms to optimize peer
   uploading, prevent freeriding, and work with different peer discovery
   schemes (centralized trackers or Distributed Hash Tables).  It
   supports multiple methods for content integrity protection and chunk
   addressing.  Designed as a generic protocol that can run on top of
   various transport protocols, it currently runs on top of UDP using
   LEDBAT for congestion control.

Please note that this draft has a DOWNREF to
 	   [RFC6817]  Shalunov, S., Hazel, G., Iyengar, J., and M. Kuehlewind,	
 	              "Low Extra Delay Background Transport (LEDBAT)", RFC 6817,	
 	              December 2012.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.