Subject: Protocol Action: 'TRILL: ESADI (End Station Address Distribution Information) Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-esadi-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:20:04 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL: ESADI (End Station Address Distribution Information) Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-trill-esadi-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-esadi/

Technical Summary:

  ESADI (End Station Address Distribution Information) is an optional
  protocol implemented at TRILL switches by which they can
  communicate, in a Data Label (VLAN or Fine Grained Label) scoped
  way, end station addresses and other information to TRILL switches
  in the TRILL campus participating in ESADI for that Data Label.
  This document updates the specification of the ESADI protocol that
  appears in RFC 6325, the TRILL base protocol specification, and is
  not backwards compatible because it changes the format of
  ESADI-LSPs.

Working Group Summary:

   There was no particular controversy. Before the initial WG Last Call
   on the -02 draft there was a late IPR disclosure filed. There were
   WG Last Call comments leading to editorial and technical changes 
   resulting in the 03 draft which was determine to have WG consensus. 
   The -03 draft increased the number of fragments in an ESADI-LSP and, as a
   result of document Shepherd review, the WG was asked if it wanted
   to change to the standard method for doing this which was
   progressing as draft-ietf-isis-fs-lsp. Based on WG support for this
   change, a -04 draft was produced and a 2nd WG LC starting on 27
   November 2013. During this WG LC a specific technical problem with
   a corner case was uncovered and it was suggested that an expanded
   explanation of how this document will update the TRILL base
   specification [RFC6325] should be included. A fix to this technical
   problem and the expanded "updates" explanation were included in in
   the -05 draft which was WG Last Called on 8 Feb 2014 and determined 
   to have consensus.

Document Quality:

   The shepherd doesn't know of existing implementations. There has been
   significant review of this document on the TRILL WG mailing list with
   multiple WG last calls.

Personnel:

   Document Shepherd: Erik Nordmark
   Responsible Area Director: Ted Lemon
   Although this document creates an additional IANA sub-registry,
   it does not require expert review, hence no experts are proposed.