Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2)' to Internet Standard (draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 07:31:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2)'
  (draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-04.txt) as Internet Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Kathleen Moriarty and Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis/

Technical Summary

   This document replaces and updates RFC 5996 (IKEv2), and includes all of the errata for it,
   and it is intended to update IKEv2 to be Internet Standard. It was meant to be part of an
   effort to move IKEv2 to Full Standard, but that effort flagged; still, the draft has useful
   clarifications.

Working Group Summary

   The WG discussion of the document was scant, but with enough review to make it acceptable.
   There were no objections to adoption.

Document Quality

   Are there existing implementations of the protocol?  Have a 
   significant number of vendors indicated their plan to
   implement the specification?
   Yes, there are implementations.  None of the recommendations in this update are radical,
   but are trying to progress the current state of security for IPsec, motivating implementers
   to make the recommended updates.  The WG has not heard
   from many implementers.  They do know that several plan to update according to this draft 
   including an OEM provider and a vendor that has implementations.  

   Here is a diff from RFC5996:
   http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=rfc5996&url2=draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-03.txt

Personnel

    Paul Hoffman (IPsecME WG co-chair) is the document shepherd and Kathleen Moriarty is the
    responsible AD.