Subject: Protocol Action: 'DHCPv4 over DHCPv6 Transport' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-over-dhcpv6-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:57:06 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DHCPv4 over DHCPv6 Transport'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-over-dhcpv6-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-over-dhcpv6/

Technical Summary: 

This document specifies a mechanism for obtaining IPv4 configuration
information dynamically in IPv6 networks by carrying DHCPv4 messages
over DHCPv6.

Working Group Summary: 

The WG was asked to develop a standard for how IPv4 configuration
parameters could be obtained when no native IPv4 communication was
necessarily possible (i.e., native DHCPv4 could not be used because
there was no IPv4 transport). The WG developed several proposals and
preferred this mechanism.

The standard encapsulates standard DHCPv4 messages inside DHCPv6
messages to provide for transporting the DHCPv4 client requests to
a server that can process the DHCPv4 requests.

Please also see draft-ietf-dhc-v4configuration as it provides
additional motivation and analysis of alternatives.

Document Quality: 

This document has had thorough reviews by many interested and
knowledgeable folks (beyond those mentioned in the acknowledgements
section). There were no significant points of difficulty or
controversy with the contents of the document, though there has been
some controversy as to whether this technology is needed at all as
native IPv4 (DHCPv4) could be supported directly over many "IPv6
only" technologies.

An implementation has been done - see
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/89/slides/slides-89-dhc-8.pptx.

Personnel: 

Bernie Volz is the document shepherd. Ted Lemon is the responsible AD. 

(3) Briefly describe the review of this document that was performed by 
    the Document Shepherd. If this version of the document is not 
    ready for publication, please explain why the document is being 
    forwarded to the IESG. 

I read the document thoroughly, and submitted quite a few editorial 
suggestions to the authors, which they implemented. I believe it is
ready for publication.