Subject: RFC 7271 on MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) Linear Protection to Match the Operational Expectations of Synchronous Digital Hierarchy, Optical Transport Network, and Ethernet Transport Network Operators

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:02:37 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7271

        Title:      MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) Linear 
                    Protection to Match the Operational Expectations 
                    of Synchronous Digital Hierarchy, Optical Transport 
                    Network, and Ethernet Transport Network Operators 
        Author:     J. Ryoo, Ed., E. Gray, Ed.,
                    H. van Helvoort, A. D'Alessandro,
                    T. Cheung, E. Osborne
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],   
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 87586
        Updates:    RFC 6378

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7271.txt

This document describes alternate mechanisms to perform some of the
functions of MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) linear protection
defined in RFC 6378, and also defines additional mechanisms.  The
purpose of these alternate and additional mechanisms is to provide
operator control and experience that more closely models the behavior
of linear protection seen in other transport networks.

This document also introduces capabilities and modes for linear
protection.  A capability is an individual behavior, and a mode is a
particular combination of capabilities.  Two modes are defined in
this document: Protection State Coordination (PSC) mode and Automatic
Protection Switching (APS) mode.

This document describes the behavior of the PSC protocol including
priority logic and state machine when all the capabilities associated
with the APS mode are enabled.

This document updates RFC 6378 in that the capability advertisement
method defined here is an addition to that document.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC