Subject: RFC 7276 on An Overview of Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) Tools

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:03:14 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7276

        Title:      An Overview of Operations, Administration, 
                    and Maintenance (OAM) Tools 
        Author:     T. Mizrahi, N. Sprecher,
                    E. Bellagamba, Y. Weingarten
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      53
        Characters: 120925
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview-16.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7276.txt

Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) is a general term
that refers to a toolset for fault detection and isolation, and for
performance measurement.  Over the years, various OAM tools have been
defined for various layers in the protocol stack.

This document summarizes some of the OAM tools defined in the IETF in
the context of IP unicast, MPLS, MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP),
pseudowires, and Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL).
This document focuses on tools for detecting and isolating failures in
networks and for performance monitoring.  Control and management aspects
of OAM are outside the scope of this document.  Network repair functions 
such as Fast Reroute (FRR) and protection switching, which are often 
triggered by OAM protocols, are also out of the scope of this document.

The target audience of this document includes network equipment
vendors, network operators, and standards development organizations.
This document can be used as an index to some of the main OAM tools 
defined in the IETF.  At the end of the document, a list of the OAM
toolsets and a list of the OAM functions are presented as a summary.

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC