Subject: RFC 7282 on On Consensus and Humming in the IETF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 13:46:51 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7282

        Title:      On Consensus and Humming in the IETF 
        Author:     P. Resnick
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 52339
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-resnick-on-consensus-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7282.txt

The IETF has had a long tradition of doing its technical work through
a consensus process, taking into account the different views among
IETF participants and coming to (at least rough) consensus on
technical matters.  In particular, the IETF is supposed not to be run
by a "majority rule" philosophy.  This is why we engage in rituals
like "humming" instead of voting.  However, more and more of our
actions are now indistinguishable from voting, and quite often we are
letting the majority win the day without consideration of minority
concerns.  This document explains some features of rough consensus,
what is not rough consensus, how we have gotten away from it, how we
might think about it differently, and the things we can do in order
to really achieve rough consensus.

Note: This document is quite consciously being put forward as
Informational.  It does not propose to change any IETF processes and
is therefore not a BCP.  It is simply a collection of principles,
hopefully around which the IETF can come to (at least rough)
consensus.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC