Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-04.txt> (Separation of Control and User Plane for Proxy Mobile IPv6) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 13:36:45 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Network-Based Mobility
Extensions WG (netext) to consider the following document:
- 'Separation of Control and User Plane for Proxy Mobile IPv6'
  <draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-07-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies a method to split the Control Plane (CP) and
   User Plane (UP) for a Proxy Mobile IPv6 based network infrastructure.
   Existing specifications allow a mobile access gateway (MAG) to
   separate its control and user plane using the Alternate Care of
   address mobility option for IPv6, or Alternate IPv4 Care of Address
   option for IPv4.  However, the current specification does not provide
   any mechanism allowing the local mobility anchor (LMA) to perform an
   analogous functional split.  To remedy that shortcoming, this
   document specifies a mobility option enabling a LMA to provide an
   alternate LMA address to be used for the bi-directional user plane
   traffic between the MAG and LMA.  With this new option, a LMA will be
   able to use an IP address for its user plane which is different than
   the IP address used for the control plane.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.