Subject: RFC 7246 on Multipoint Label Distribution Protocol In-Band Signaling in a Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) Table Context

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 07:40:06 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7246

        Title:      Multipoint Label Distribution Protocol In-Band 
                    Signaling in a Virtual Routing and 
                    Forwarding (VRF) Table Context 
        Author:     IJ. Wijnands, Ed.,
                    P. Hitchen, N. Leymann,
                    W. Henderickx, A. Gulko,
                    J. Tantsura
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 24698
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-mldp-vrf-in-band-signaling-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7246.txt

An IP Multicast Distribution Tree (MDT) may traverse both label
switching (i.e., Multiprotocol Label Switching, or MPLS) and non-label
switching regions of a network.  Typically, the MDT begins and
ends in non-MPLS regions, but travels through an MPLS region.  In
such cases, it can be useful to begin building the MDT as a pure IP
MDT, then convert it to an MPLS Multipoint Label Switched Path 
(MP-LSP) when it enters an MPLS-enabled region, and then convert it 
back to a pure IP MDT when it enters a non-MPLS-enabled region.  
Other documents specify the procedures for building such a hybrid 
MDT, using Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) in the non-MPLS 
region of the network, and using Multipoint Label Distribution
Protocol (mLDP) in the MPLS region.  This document extends those
procedures to handle the case where the link connecting the two
regions is a Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) table link, as
defined in the "BGP IP/MPLS VPN" specification.  However, this
document is primarily aimed at particular use cases where VRFs are
used to support multicast applications other than multicast VPN.

This document is a product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC