Subject: RFC 7288 on Reflections on Host Firewalls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:46:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7288

        Title:      Reflections on Host Firewalls 
        Author:     D. Thaler
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       June 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 28885
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-host-firewalls-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7288.txt

In today's Internet, the need for firewalls is generally accepted in
the industry, and indeed firewalls are widely deployed in practice.
Unlike traditional firewalls that protect network links, host
firewalls run in end-user systems.  Often the result is that software
may be running and potentially consuming resources, but then
communication is blocked by a host firewall.  It's taken for granted
that this end state is either desirable or the best that can be
achieved in practice, rather than (for example) an end state where
the relevant software is not running or is running in a way that
would not result in unwanted communication.  In this document, we
explore the issues behind these assumptions and provide suggestions
on improving the architecture going forward.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC