Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-14.txt> (IP-Only LAN Service (IPLS)) to Historic RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 10:11:38 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l2vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'IP-Only LAN Service (IPLS)'
  <draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-14.txt> as Historic RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-08-07. This last call period has been 
lengthened to take into account IETF-90. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) is used to interconnect
   systems across a wide-area or metropolitan-area network, making it
   appear that they are on a private LAN.  The systems which are
   interconnected may themselves be LAN switches.  If, however, they
   are IP hosts or IP routers, certain simplifications to the operation
   of the VPLS are possible.  We call this simplified type of VPLS an
   "IP-only LAN Service" (IPLS).  In an IPLS, as in a VPLS, LAN
   interfaces are run in promiscuous mode, and frames are forwarded
   based on their destination MAC addresses.  However, the maintenance
   of the MAC forwarding tables is done via signaling, rather than via
   the MAC address learning procedures specified in [IEEE 802.1D].
   This draft specifies the protocol extensions and procedures for
   support of the IPLS service.

   The original intent was to provide an alternate solution to VPLS
   for those PE routers that were not capable of learning MAC address
   through data plane. This became non-issue with newer hardware.
   The concepts put forth by this draft are still valuable and are
   adopted in one form or other by newer work such as Ethernet VPN
   in L2VPN Working Group and possible data center applications. At
   this point, no further action is planned to update this document
   and is published simply as a historic record of the ideas.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.