Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-rmcat-cc-requirements-05.txt> (Congestion Control Requirements For RMCAT) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:47:33 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance
Techniques WG (rmcat) to consider the following document:
- 'Congestion Control Requirements For RMCAT'
  <draft-ietf-rmcat-cc-requirements-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-08-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Congestion control is needed for all data transported across the
   Internet, in order to promote fair usage and prevent congestion
   collapse.  The requirements for interactive, point-to-point real time
   multimedia, which needs low-delay, semi-reliable data delivery, are
   different from the requirements for bulk transfer like FTP or bursty
   transfers like Web pages.  Due to an increasing amount of RTP-based
   real-time media traffic on the Internet (e.g. with the introduction
   of WebRTC[I-D.ietf-rtcweb-overview]), it is especially important to
   ensure that this kind of traffic is congestion controlled.

   This document describes a set of requirements that can be used to
   evaluate other congestion control mechanisms in order to figure out
   their fitness for this purpose, and in particular to provide a set of
   possible requirements for realtime media congestion avoidance
   technique.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rmcat-cc-requirements/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rmcat-cc-requirements/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.