Subject: Trustees Decide to Abandon “IETF Secretariat” Trademark

From: Tobias Gondrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 17:02:20 +0100

Dear all,

the Trustees of the IETF Trust decided at their meeting conducted 
on June 12, 2014 to abandon the  “IETF Secretariat” trademark.  
The action was taken after consulting with legal counsel, the 
community, and, as we still hold and will maintain the "IETF" 
trademark, concluding that the “IETF Secretariat” trademark has 
no current or future value to the community, and that the 
retention of the trademark requires an expenditure of funds.

The action was taken in accordance with Article 7.1a of the 
Amended and Restated Trust Agreement, 
<http://trustee.ietf.org/trust-agreement-2014.html>.

Accordingly, the Trustees did not renew the “IETF Secretariat” trademark,
Registration 3860848, in the European Community, and will not renew the
“IETF Secretariat” trademark, Registration 2392833, in the United States
when due on October 10, 2020.

Best regards,

Tobias Gondrom
Chair
IETF Trust