Subject: Document Action: 'Latching: Hosted NAT Traversal (HNT) for Media in Real-Time Communication' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-mmusic-latching-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:33:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Latching: Hosted NAT Traversal (HNT) for Media in Real-Time
   Communication'
  (draft-ietf-mmusic-latching-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alissa Cooper and Richard Barnes.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-latching/

Technical Summary

  This document describes behavior of signalling intermediaries in
  Real-Time Communication (RTC) deployments, sometimes referred to as
  Session Border Controllers (SBCs), when performing Hosted NAT
  Traversal (HNT).  HNT is a set of mechanisms, such as media relaying
  and latching, that such intermediaries use to enable other RTC
  devices behind NATs to communicate with each other.

Working Group Summary

  There is WG consensus behind this draft. All issues raised during and 
  before WGLC have been addressed. There were concerns regarding the 
  harmfulness of the documented mechanisms, especially regarding security.
  The document was updated to stress that it only documents existing 
  behavior and does not recommend them as good practices.

Document Quality

  The document is well written and readable. It documents existing behavior
  that has been already earlier implemented by various vendors.

Personnel

  Ari Keranen is the Document Shepherd, and the Responsible Area
  Director is Alissa Cooper.