Subject: IETF Network Maintenance Announcement

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:06:47 -0700

IETF Community -

Level 3, the provider at our primary colocation facility, has notified
us that they will be performing a card swap and software update on the
router serving the IETF and RFC-Editor servers on Thursday, July 17th,
beginning at 0800GMT.  Procedures of this type generally take about 10
minutes, although things can certainly go wrong, and cause the outage
to take longer.  Because of this, Level 3 warns that the outage might
take as long as 2 hours, so please be prepared for that possibility.

As you may be aware, the IETF public website is now supported by a
content delivery network, and so the public website should not be
impacted.  Note, however, that the Datatracker will be unavailable
during the outage period, as will other dynamic services such as the
RFC Editor website, Mailman, the mail archive tool, and Jabber.  Those
services are not cached by any content delivery network.  Email sent
to mailing lists will be held by your sending servers, and forwarded
on automatically when the upgrade is complete, but list traffic will
be halted during the process.

AMS staff will be online during the outage window to monitor and be
online during the upgrade process.  Please be assured that we are
aware of the planned outage and will be watching it.  Thank you for
your support as our colocation vendor performs this upgrade.

Thanks,
Glen
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)