Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-05.txt> (A NULL MX Resource Record for Domains that Accept No Mail) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 12:03:47 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Applications Area Working Group
WG (appsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'A NULL MX Resource Record for Domains that Accept No Mail'
  <draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-07-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Internet mail determines the address of a receiving server through
   the DNS, first by looking for an MX record and then by looking for an
   A/AAAA record as a fallback.  Unfortunately this means that the A/
   AAAA record is taken to be mail server address even when that address
   does not accept mail.  The NULL MX RR formalizes the existing
   mechanism by which a domain announces that it accepts no mail, which
   permits significant operational efficiencies.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.