Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-12.txt> (Congestion Exposure (ConEx) Concepts, Abstract Mechanism and Requirements) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:14:53 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Congestion Exposure WG (conex)
to consider the following document:
- 'Congestion Exposure (ConEx) Concepts, Abstract Mechanism and
   Requirements'
  <draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-12.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-08-08. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes an abstract mechanism by which senders inform
   the network about the congestion encountered by packets earlier in
   the same flow.  Today, network elements at any layer may signal
   congestion to the receiver by dropping packets or by ECN markings,
   and the receiver passes this information back to the sender in
   transport-layer feedback.  The mechanism described here enables the
   sender to also relay this congestion information back into the
   network in-band at the IP layer, such that the total amount of
   congestion from all elements on the path is revealed to all IP
   elements along the path, where it could, for example, be used to
   provide input to traffic management.  This mechanism is called
   congestion exposure or ConEx.  The companion document "ConEx Concepts
   and Use Cases" provides the entry-point to the set of ConEx
   documentation.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1922/