Subject: BCP 190, RFC 7320 on URI Design and Ownership

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 16:09:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 190        
        RFC 7320

        Title:      URI Design and Ownership 
        Author:     M. Nottingham
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 18275
        Updates:    RFC 3986
        See Also:   BCP 190

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-appsawg-uri-get-off-my-lawn-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7320.txt

Section 1.1.1 of RFC 3986 defines URI syntax as "a federated and
extensible naming system wherein each scheme's specification may
further restrict the syntax and semantics of identifiers using that
scheme."  In other words, the structure of a URI is defined by its
scheme.  While it is common for schemes to further delegate their
substructure to the URI's owner, publishing independent standards
that mandate particular forms of URI substructure is inappropriate,
because that essentially usurps ownership.  This document further
describes this problematic practice and provides some acceptable
alternatives for use in standards.

This document is a product of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC