Subject: Document Action: 'Application Bridging for Federated Access Beyond Web (ABFAB) Architecture' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-abfab-arch-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:16:07 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Application Bridging for Federated Access Beyond Web (ABFAB)
   Architecture'
  (draft-ietf-abfab-arch-13.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Application Bridging for Federated
Access Beyond web Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-abfab-arch/

Technical Summary

   This memo describes an architecture that makes use of extensions to
   the commonly used security mechanisms for both federated and non-
   federated access management, including the Remote Authentication Dial
   In User Service (RADIUS) and the Diameter protocol, the Generic
   Security Service (GSS), the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
   and the Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML).  The architecture
   addresses the problem of federated access management to primarily
   non-web-based services, in a manner that will scale to large numbers
   of identity providers, relying parties, and federations.

Working Group Summary

  The WG process, although it took some time, hasn't been particularly contentious. 
  Instead there has been a lot of feedback from the core spec work and this   
  specification which has necessarily delayed the work a bit.

Document Quality

  This is an informational document that describes abfab architecture. The abfab suite    
  of protocols has been implemented once by the moonshot project. Afaik there are no  
  other implementations but the night is young. 

  The work of Jim Schaad in particular has been excellent. His thoroughness 
  and dedication to quality has meant a lot for getting this document done.

Personnel
 
  The document shepherded is Leif Johansson (WG chair). 
  The responsible AD is Stephen Farrell. 

RFC Editor Note

   (1) I-D nits notes a couple of outdated references which is fine and 
easy fix, but also...

   (2) There're some URL references of the form [1], [2] etc that need
fixing - the xml is apparently correct but the txt file is not. The authors
and AD know how to fix it, so please just check at AUTH-48