Subject: RFC 7311 on The Accumulated IGP Metric Attribute for BGP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 12:22:23 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7311

        Title:      The Accumulated IGP Metric Attribute 
                    for BGP 
        Author:     P. Mohapatra, R. Fernando,
                    E. Rosen, J. Uttaro
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 32615
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-aigp-18.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7311.txt

Routing protocols that have been designed to run within a single
administrative domain (IGPs) generally do so by assigning a metric
to each link and then choosing, as the installed path between two
nodes, the path for which the total distance (sum of the metric of
each link along the path) is minimized.  BGP, designed to provide
routing over a large number of independent administrative domains
(autonomous systems), does not make its path-selection decisions
through the use of a metric.  It is generally recognized that any
attempt to do so would incur significant scalability problems as
well as inter-administration coordination problems.  However, there
are deployments in which a single administration runs several
contiguous BGP networks.  In such cases, it can be desirable, within
that single administrative domain, for BGP to select paths based on a
metric, just as an IGP would do.  The purpose of this document is to
provide a specification for doing so.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC