Subject: RFC 7359 on Layer 3 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Tunnel Traffic Leakages in Dual-Stack Hosts/Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 18:23:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7359

        Title:      Layer 3 Virtual Private Network 
                    (VPN) Tunnel Traffic Leakages in Dual-Stack 
                    Hosts/Networks 
        Author:     F. Gont
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 26506
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsec-vpn-leakages-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7359.txt

The subtle way in which the IPv6 and IPv4 protocols coexist in
typical networks, together with the lack of proper IPv6 support in
popular Virtual Private Network (VPN) tunnel products, may
inadvertently result in VPN tunnel traffic leakages.  That is,
traffic meant to be transferred over an encrypted and integrity-
protected VPN tunnel may leak out of such a tunnel and be sent in the
clear on the local network towards the final destination.  This
document discusses some scenarios in which such VPN tunnel traffic
leakages may occur as a result of employing IPv6-unaware VPN
software.  Additionally, this document offers possible mitigations
for this issue.

This document is a product of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC