Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: Endymail

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:54:59 -0700

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/endymail/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/endymail

Purpose:

There is significant interest in improving the 
privacy-related properties of Internet mail. One focus of 
current efforts is on the per-hop (connection-based) 
protections provided by TLS. However a wide range of other 
work has a focus on end-to-end protection, at the Internet 
scale of billions of end users and perhaps millions of 
operators. Such work typically involves new forms of mail 
header or body protection, new public key management 
(compared to S/MIME or PGP), and security mechanisms more 
appropriate for mobile/web user-agents. Other 
security-relevant approaches may be discussed if needed. 
Various proposals and development efforts on this topic are 
underway outside the IETF. This mailing list provides an 
IETF venue for discussion of elements that might be commonly 
needed by such efforts and to identify work that the IETF 
could do to aid in achieving better end-to-end security 
deployed for Internet email.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.