Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-08.txt> (A "Null MX" No Service Resource Record for Domains that Accept No Mail) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 06:24:45 -0700

The IESG has tentatively approved the following document:
- 'A "Null MX" No Service Resource Record for Domains that Accept No
Mail'
  <draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

Changes to the document late in the review process have resulted in
the addition of a downward reference to RFC 1846, which is an
Experimental document.  This extra Last Call is specifically to ask
for comments on whether that downward reference is appropriate.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-08-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Internet mail determines the address of a receiving server through
   the DNS, first by looking for an MX record and then by looking for an
   A/AAAA record as a fallback.  Unfortunately this means that the A/
   AAAA record is taken to be mail server address even when that address
   does not accept mail.  The no service MX RR, informally called null
   MX, formalizes the existing mechanism by which a domain announces
   that it accepts no mail, without having to provide a mail server,
   which permits significant operational efficiencies.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.