Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control-09.txt> (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Rate Control) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 14:20:17 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the SIP Overload Control WG (soc) to
consider the following document:
- 'Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Rate Control'
  <draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-08-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The prevalent use of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) in Next
   Generation Networks necessitates that SIP networks provide adequate
   control mechanisms to maintain transaction throughput by preventing
   congestion collapse during traffic overloads. Already a loss-based
   solution to remedy known vulnerabilities of the SIP 503 (service
   unavailable) overload control mechanism has been proposed. This
   document proposes a rate-based control scheme to complement the
   loss-based control scheme, using the same signaling.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.