Subject: Document Action: 'A Roadmap for Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) Specification Documents' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-rfc4614bis-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:07:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Roadmap for Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) Specification
   Documents'
  (draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-rfc4614bis-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-rfc4614bis/

Technical Summary

Due to long-term development efforts, understanding TCP is
becoming difficult as it consists of many separated RFCs. 
This document provides a summary of the various documents
related to TCP standards, guidelines and best current practices. 
The objective of the document is to provide a roadmap for TCP
standards so that implementers and other parties can reach proper
information smoothly and quickly. 

Working Group Summary

This document is the update from RFC4614 which has been
published for the same purpose.  As the information in RFC4614 is
getting stale, there has been consensus in the WG to publish a new
version. One discussion point was whether we will keep publishing
this type of documents from time to time or find a way to provide
up-to-date information through dynamic contents such as Wiki or
perpetual I-D. After some discussions, we have concluded to publish
this document as an RFC. The consensus was clear as we need
further discussions for the other methods and there was no strong
support for them.

Document Quality

The document has been reviewed and discussed by multiple
participants in the WG. 

Personnel

 Yoshifumi Nishida is the Document Shepherd for this document.
 The Responsible Area Director is Martin Stiemerling