Subject: RFC 7312 on Advanced Stream and Sampling Framework for IP Performance Metrics (IPPM)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7312

        Title:      Advanced Stream and Sampling Framework 
                    for IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) 
        Author:     J. Fabini, A. Morton
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 41125
        Updates:    RFC 2330

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7312.txt

To obtain repeatable results in modern networks, test descriptions
need an expanded stream parameter framework that also augments
aspects specified as Type-P for test packets.  This memo updates the
IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Framework, RFC 2330, with advanced
considerations for measurement methodology and testing.  The existing
framework mostly assumes deterministic connectivity, and that a
single test stream will represent the characteristics of the path
when it is aggregated with other flows.  Networks have evolved and
test stream descriptions must evolve with them; otherwise, unexpected
network features may dominate the measured performance.  This memo
describes new stream parameters for both network characterization and
support of application design using IPPM metrics.

This document is a product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC