Subject: Protocol Action: 'JSON Merge Patch' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 08:02:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'JSON Merge Patch'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch/

Technical Summary

This specification defines the JSON merge patch format and processing
rules.  The merge patch format is primarily intended for use with the
HTTP PATCH method as a means of describing a set of modifications to
a subset of the target resource's content.

Review and Consensus

The document was adopted in May, 2013, and had some active development
on the apps-discuss list.  The author then reached a point where he could
no longer support the work, and the document was parked for several
months while a new author was saught.  Recently Paul Hoffman stepped forward
to complete the work.

The quality and quantity of reviews have been good, and include comments
from the media types Designated Expert.  WGLC was completed in October, 2013,
resulting in further changes.  The result appears to have consensus of the
working group.  There was a significant question about whether it is appropriate
to have a "charset" parameter on a JSON type, which conflicts with how JSON is
specified.  The "charset" parameter was removed for that reason.

Personnel

Murray Kucherawy is the document shepherd.
Barry Leiba is the responsible Area Director.