Subject: Protocol Action: 'Loss and Delay Measurement in Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-loss-delay-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 04:59:40 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Loss and Delay Measurement in Transparent Interconnection of Lots of
   Links (TRILL)'
  (draft-ietf-trill-loss-delay-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-loss-delay/

Technical Summary

 Performance Monitoring (PM) is a key aspect of Operations,
 Administration and Maintenance (OAM). It allows network operators to
 verify the Service Level Agreement (SLA) provided to customers, and
 to detect network anomalies. This document specifies mechanisms for
Loss Measurement and Delay Measurement in TRILL networks.

Working Group Summary

Discussion on this topic has gone on for the last 2 years. 
During the WG LC and discussion at the March IETF 89, the general
consensus was "document is ready for RFC". 

Document Quality

 The written text of this document is high.  The performance monitoring
 issues clearly specified with clear descriptions of the mechanisms.   
 This document is a pleasure to read! 
  
 The document has been co-authors by two groups implementing the 
 code for deployment (Cisco and Huawei).  The careful attention to
 operational issues have shows in this draft.   No specific announcement
 of the release date for  these TRILL PM implementations has been
 made.  An implementation survey planned for June so a better
 understanding of the deployments may align with the IESG review. 
 Other vendors have indicated consideration of the PM specification. 

Personnel

AD: Ted Lemon
WG Chairs: Donald Eastlake and Jon Hudson
Shepherd: Susan Hares