Subject: RFC Digital Object Identifier SOW for Community Input

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:22:08 -0700

The IAOC intends to seek bids for a project to assign Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs and desires 
community input on a draft DOI Statement of Work.  The SOW is located here:  
<http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html>.

The community comment period ends 21 September 2014.  The IAOC will consider all comments 
received during this period.

Overview

The RFC Editor intends to assign a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) to each RFC in the series. 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-doi describes the motivation for and expected use of 
DOIs in the series. As that document states, assigning DOIs entails extracting information from the 
series to date to be used as input to a bulk registration for existing RFCs, and changes to the 
production system to automatically acquire and incorporate DOIs into future RFCs.

Deliverables/Tasks

The developer will work with the RFC Editors’ programming staff to:

•	Identify the data needed to apply for a DOI for an RFC, and for each data element, identify the 
	appropriate source for that data. 
•	Build a program to extract that data from the existing series necessary to apply for a DOI for 
        each existing RFC.
•	Construct any additional needed automation in making a bulk application for those DOIs 
•	Integrate the automated acquisition of DOIs for future RFCs into the workflow for producing 
        that RFC 
•	Construct any needed automation for updating the existing index, info pages, and the XML 
        citation library to include the assigned DOIs 
•	Locate existing DOIs for the documents from other organizations that are in our XML citation 
	libraries (particularly bibxml2) and update the entry in that library.

Deliverables include:

The project will automate a bulk update to the following products to reflect the DOI information for 
existing RFCs.

•	http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-ref.txt
•	The bibxml products
•	The individual RFC information pages (e.g. http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc6635 ) 
•	rfc-index.xml
•	rfc-index.txt
•	rfc-index.html and rfc-index2.html

The project will also automate the addition of the acquired DOI for each new RFC into each of the 
above products.

All information submitted in response to this announcement is voluntary and may be used in the 
development of the SOW.

Thanks for your continuing advice and support.

Ray Pelletier 
IETF Administrative Director