Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsec-bgp-security-05.txt> (BGP operations and security) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:42:19 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Operational Security
Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure WG (opsec) to consider the
following document:
- 'BGP operations and security'
  <draft-ietf-opsec-bgp-security-05.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-09-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) is the protocol almost exclusively used
   in the Internet to exchange routing information between network
   domains.  Due to this central nature, it is important to understand
   the security measures that can and should be deployed to prevent
   accidental or intentional routing disturbances.

   This document describes measures to protect the BGP sessions itself
   (like TTL, TCP-AO, control plane filtering) and to better control the
   flow of routing information, using prefix filtering and
   automatization of prefix filters, max-prefix filtering, AS path
   filtering, route flap dampening and BGP community scrubbing.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-bgp-security/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-bgp-security/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.