Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-grow-ix-bgp-route-server-operations-03.txt> (Internet Exchange Route Server Operations) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:46:42 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Global Routing Operations WG
(grow) to consider the following document:
- 'Internet Exchange Route Server Operations'
  <draft-ietf-grow-ix-bgp-route-server-operations-03.txt> as
Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-09-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The popularity of Internet exchange points (IXPs) brings new
   challenges to interconnecting networks.  While bilateral eBGP
   sessions between exchange participants were historically the most
   common means of exchanging reachability information over an IXP, the
   overhead associated with this interconnection method causes serious
   operational and administrative scaling problems for IXP participants.

   Multilateral interconnection using Internet route servers can
   dramatically reduce the administrative and operational overhead of
   IXP participation and these systems used by many IXP participants as
   a preferred means of exchanging routing information.

   This document describes operational considerations for multilateral
   interconnections at IXPs.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-ix-bgp-route-server-operations/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-ix-bgp-route-server-operations/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.