Subject: Document Action: 'Security Requirements of Time Protocols in Packet Switched Networks' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-tictoc-security-requirements-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 06:01:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Security Requirements of Time Protocols in Packet Switched Networks'
  (draft-ietf-tictoc-security-requirements-12.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Timing over IP Connection and
Transfer of Clock Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ted Lemon.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tictoc-security-requirements/

Technical Summary:

As time and frequency distribution protocols are becoming increasingly common and
widely deployed, concern about their exposure to various security threats is increasing.
This document defines a set of security requirements for time protocols, focusing on the
Precision Time Protocol (PTP) and the Network Time Protocol (NTP). This document also
discusses the security impacts of time protocol practices, the performance implications of
external security practices on time protocols and the dependencies between other
security services and time synchronization.

Working Group Summary:

This document has been around for a long time. It has been socialized outside the IETF
community and is currently being used as the basis of the security work ongoing in the
IEEE 1588 community. 

Document Quality:

This is a requirements document and as such doesn’t have implementations. The
document has received several reviews in various communities. 

Personnel:

Karen O’Donoghue is the document shepherd.
Brian Haberman is the responsible area director.