Subject: RFC 7361 on LDP Extensions for Optimized MAC Address Withdrawal in a Hierarchical Virtual Private LAN Service (H-VPLS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:21:52 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7361

        Title:      LDP Extensions for Optimized MAC Address 
                    Withdrawal in a Hierarchical Virtual 
                    Private LAN Service (H-VPLS) 
        Author:     P. Dutta, F. Balus,
                    O. Stokes, G. Calvignac,
                    D. Fedyk
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 62854
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-mac-opt-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7361.txt

RFC 4762 describes a mechanism to remove or unlearn Media Access
Control (MAC) addresses that have been dynamically learned in a
Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) instance for faster convergence on
topology changes.  The procedure also removes MAC addresses in the
VPLS that do not require relearning due to such topology changes.
This document defines an enhancement to the MAC address withdraw
procedure with an empty MAC list (RFC 4762); this enhancement enables
a Provider Edge (PE) device to remove only the MAC addresses that need
to be relearned.  Additional extensions to RFC 4762 MAC withdraw
procedures are specified to provide an optimized MAC flushing for the
Provider Backbone Bridging (PBB) VPLS specified in RFC 7041.

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC