Subject: RFC 7362 on Latching: Hosted NAT Traversal (HNT) for Media in Real-Time Communication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 14:02:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7362

        Title:      Latching: Hosted NAT Traversal (HNT) 
                    for Media in Real-Time Communication 
        Author:     E. Ivov, H. Kaplan, D. Wing
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 39139
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mmusic-latching-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7362.txt

This document describes the behavior of signaling intermediaries in
Real-Time Communication (RTC) deployments, sometimes referred to as
Session Border Controllers (SBCs), when performing Hosted NAT
Traversal (HNT).  HNT is a set of mechanisms, such as media relaying
and latching, that such intermediaries use to enable other RTC
devices behind NATs to communicate with each other.

This document is non-normative and is only written to explain HNT in
order to provide a reference to the Internet community and an
informative description to manufacturers and users.

Latching, which is one of the HNT components, has a number of
security issues covered here.  Because of those, and unless all
security considerations explained here are taken into account and
solved, the IETF advises against use of the latching mechanism over
the Internet and recommends other solutions, such as the Interactive
Connectivity Establishment (ICE) protocol.

This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC