Subject: RFC 7339 on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Overload Control

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 13:01:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7339

        Title:      Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Overload Control 
        Author:     V. Gurbani, Ed., V. Hilt, H. Schulzrinne
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      38
        Characters: 89898
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7339.txt

Overload occurs in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) networks when
SIP servers have insufficient resources to handle all the SIP
messages they receive.  Even though the SIP protocol provides a
limited overload control mechanism through its 503 (Service
Unavailable) response code, SIP servers are still vulnerable to
overload.  This document defines the behavior of SIP servers involved
in overload control and also specifies a loss-based overload scheme
for SIP.

This document is a product of the SIP Overload Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC