Subject: Document Action: 'Using Only Link-Local Addressing Inside an IPv6 Network' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-opsec-lla-only-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 05:03:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using Only Link-Local Addressing Inside an IPv6 Network'
  (draft-ietf-opsec-lla-only-11.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Operational Security Capabilities for
IP Network Infrastructure Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-lla-only/

Technical Summary

In an IPv6 network it is possible to use only link-local addresses on
infrastructure links between routers.  This document discusses the
advantages and disadvantages of this approach to help the decision
process for a given network.

Working Group Summary

This document had a bumpy ride within the working group. There is
 rough consensus that the document provides valuable insight into 
advantages and disadvantages of the network Link-Local approach 
and that the content it includes is technically correct. 

The bumps for this document have been driven by the believe that running 
a network based upon this approach is in general a bad idea, and that even 
existence of this document provides perception it is an IETF supported 
approach. 

IETF last call reflects similar concerns, e.g. even the most vehement 
detractors agree that this works, the extent to which it is recomended is 
another matter.

Document Quality

The document is technically correct as seen by many reviews on the 
WG email list. The document does not discuss a new protocol or 
implementation of a new protocol. The document provides advantages 
and disadvantages of using IPv6 Link-Local Addresses within an IPv6 
Network. It has had thorough review by WG reviewers, with discussions 
inside the WG email list

Personnel

Area Director: Joel Jaeggli
Shepherd: Gunter Van de Velde