Subject: Protocol Action: 'Host Identity Protocol Version 2 (HIPv2)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 13:29:21 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Host Identity Protocol Version 2 (HIPv2)'
  (draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-rfc5201-bis/

Technical Summary:

   This document specifies the details of the Host Identity Protocol
   (HIP).  HIP allows consenting hosts to securely establish and
   maintain shared IP-layer state, allowing separation of the
   identifier and locator roles of IP addresses, thereby enabling
   continuity of communications across IP address changes.  HIP is
   based on a SIGMA- compliant Diffie-Hellman key exchange, using
   public key identifiers from a new Host Identity namespace for
   mutual peer authentication.  The protocol is designed to be
   resistant to denial-of-service (DoS) and man-in-the-middle (MitM)
   attacks.  When used together with another suitable security
   protocol, such as the Encapsulated Security Payload (ESP), it
   provides integrity protection and optional encryption for
   upper-layer protocols, such as TCP and UDP.

   This document obsoletes RFC 5201 and addresses the concerns raised
   by the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility.  It also
   incorporates lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 5201.

Working Group Summary:

  There is full consensus behind this document.

Document Quality:

  As discussed in RFC 6538, there are several implementations of the
  Experimental HIP specs. At least HIP for Linux and OpenHIP will be
  updated to comply with the standards-track specs.

Personnel:

  Gonzalo Camarillo is the document shepherd.
  Ted Lemon is the responsible AD.