Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-07.txt> (Differentiated Services (DiffServ) and Real-time Communication) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 13:58:10 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the DiffServ Applied to Real-time
Transports WG (dart) to consider the following document:
- 'Differentiated Services (DiffServ) and Real-time Communication'
  <draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-10-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This memo describes the interaction between Differentiated Services
   (DiffServ) network quality of service (QoS) functionality and real-
   time network communication, including communication based on the
   Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  DiffServ is based on network
   nodes applying different forwarding treatments to packets whose IP
   headers are marked with different DiffServ Code Points (DSCPs).
   WebRTC applications, as well as some conferencing applications, have
   begun using the Session Description Protocol (SDP) bundle negotiation
   mechanism to send multiple traffic streams with different QoS
   requirements using the same network 5-tuple.  The results of using
   multiple DSCPs to obtain different QoS treatments within a single
   network 5-tuple (e.g., reordering) have transport protocol
   interactions, particularly with congestion control functionality.  In
   addition, DSCP markings may be changed or removed between the traffic
   source and destination.  This memo covers the implications of these
   DiffServ aspects for real-time network communication, including
   WebRTC.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.