Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-03.txt> (An Optimization for the MANET Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 07:21:18 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks WG
(manet) to consider the following document:
- 'An Optimization for the MANET Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)'
  <draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-11-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The link quality mechanism of the MANET Neighborhood Discovery
   Protocol (NHDP) enables "ignoring" some 1-hop neighbors if the
   measured link quality from that 1-hop neighbor is below an acceptable
   threshold, while still retaining the corresponding link information
   as acquired from HELLO message exchange.  This allows immediate
   reinstatement of the 1-hop neighbor if the link quality later
   improves sufficiently.

   NHDP also collects information about symmetric 2-hop neighbors.
   However it specifies that if a link from a symmetric 1-hop neighbor
   ceases being symmetric, including while "ignored" as described above,
   then corresponding symmetric 2-hop neighbors are removed.  This may
   lead to symmetric 2-hop neighborhood information being permanently
   removed (until further HELLO messages are received) if the link
   quality of a symmetric 1-hop neighbor drops below the acceptable
   threshold, even if only for a moment.

   This specification updates RFC6130 "Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET)
   Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)", and RFC7181 "The Optimized
   Link State Routing Protocol version 2 (OLSRv2)" to permit retaining,
   but ignoring, symmetric 2-hop information when the link quality from
   the corresponding 1-hop neighbor drops below the acceptable
   threshold.  This allows immediate reinstatement of the symmetric
   2-hop neighbor if the link quality later improves sufficiently, thus
   making the symmetric 2-hop neighborhood more "robust".

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.