Subject: WG Action: Formed Layer Independent OAM Management in the Multi-Layer Environment (lime)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:27:25 -0700

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Operations and Management
Area. For additional information please contact the Area Directors or the
WG Chairs.

Layer Independent OAM Management in the Multi-Layer Environment (lime)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Carlos Pignataro <[email-masked]>
  Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lime
  Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lime/current/maillist.html

Charter:

Network Operators are increasingly challenged with operational and
management limitations in network deployments due to Operations,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) operating at different
administrative and technology layers. This problem is exacerbated by the
lack of a common architectural OAM management in those different layers
and protocols. New work on network virtualization further complicates the
layering model and the problems of coordinating OAM between layers and
protocols.

The absence of a common approach to OAM management has made it difficult
for operators to:
- Suppress large numbers of unnecessary alarms and notifications related
to defects and failures arising in lower layers and visible in each
higher layer
- Quickly identify root causes of network failures 
- Coordinate end-to-end performance measurement with the results of
performance monitoring at different layers in the network
- Correlate defects, faults, and network failures between the different
layers to improve efficiency of defect and fault localization and provide
better OAM visibility.

The LIME working group will concentrate on the operational challenges in
consistent handling of end-to-end OAM and coordination of OAM within
underlying network layers. This work will enable consistent
configuration, reporting, and presentation for the OAM mechanisms used to
manage the network, regardless of the layers and technologies, including
management mechanisms to facilitate better mapping between information
reported from OAM mechanisms that operate in different network layers. It
will also produce architectural guidelines for the development of new OAM
tools and protocols in both management plane and data plane so that they
may be coherent with these mechanisms and more easily integrated from an
operational points of view.

The working group will work on the following deliverables:

- YANG data model(s) for generic layer-independent and
technology-independent configuration, reporting and presentation for OAM
mechanisms.

- An architecture for OAM that can be used as guidance by other IETF
working groups developing new OAM protocols or modifying existing OAM
protocols, at any layer and for any technology. This guidance will cover
both the management and data planes. Existing OAM architectures will be
reviewed.

- Applicability document: The YANG model(s) specified in this working
group must be usable and extensible by the existing OAM technologies.
This usability and extensibility must be demonstrated, for example with
IP Ping, traceroute, BFD, and LSP Ping. Note the technology-specific data
model extensions should ideally be worked on in the respective working
groups.

The working group will explore and document use-cases for converged
management of OAM in multi-layer and multi-technology networks that
triggered this work. The use cases will consider scenarios that include
(but are not limited to) those that rely upon a centralized control point
responsible for the overall OAM management and those that assume the
delegation of layer-specific OAM management control points. The working
group will decide later whether the use case document needs to be
published as an RFC.

If the working group finds it necessary to work on an information model
before the data model, it might do so. The working group will decide
later whether the information model needs to be published as an RFC.

The initial scope is restricted to a single administrative domain and may
be extended for inter-domain scenarios in future as and when a need
rises.

The working group will not develop any new OAM protocols.

The LIME WG is not chartered to work on information or data models
specific to any data plane or forwarding plane technology that is
developed outside of the IETF. However, it is the intention that the
generic information and data models produced by the working group should
be applicable to multiple layers and technologies in a technology
agnostic fashion. Therefore, it is anticipated that the working group
will closely coordinate its activities with other SDOs (including, but
not limited to the ITU-T, MEF, IEEE, BBF and 3GPP) to ensure that the
generic models are harmonized with work done in those SDOs and are
applicable to many technologies.

Milestones:
  Feb 2015 - Adopt the WG draft on YANG data model(s)
  May 2015 - Adopt the WG draft on LIME Architecture
  Aug 2015 - Adopt the WG draft for Applicability of the generic model
  Sep 2015 - Submit the YANG model(s) document to IESG as a Proposed
Standards RFC
  Nov 2015 - Submit the Architecture document to IESG for review as an
informational RFC
  Apr 2016 - Submit the Applicability document to IESG for review as an
Informational RFC
  Apr 2016 - Recharter or conclude