Subject: Document Action: 'Mechanisms for Optimizing LAG/ECMP Component Link Utilization in Networks' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-opsawg-large-flow-load-balancing-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:43:51 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Mechanisms for Optimizing LAG/ECMP Component Link Utilization in
   Networks'
  (draft-ietf-opsawg-large-flow-load-balancing-15.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-large-flow-load-balancing/

Technical Summary

This draft explores some mechanisms useful for achieving optimal 
use of bandwidth in wired networks that make extensive use of LAG/ECMP 
techniques for bandwidth scaling.

Working Group Summary

There was no major drama in the WG related to this document. 

Document Quality

The document is well written and easy to follow. A number of authors 
indicated that their employers are implementing, or have plans to implement
 this. There was some discussion at adoption time regarding if implementation 
advice is appropriate work for the WG. Consensus was on the side of adoption.
There was also (primarily off-list) discussion that implementations should expose 
per-interface queue length. This information would make the technique in the 
draft more useful and could allow one to avoid placing traffic on interfaces that 
have long queues for some reason. While this would make the technique better, 
interface counters provide sufficient information to make the technique useful.

Personnel

Warren Kumari is the Document Shepherd. Benoit Claise is the Responsible Area Director.