Subject: Document Action: 'A Security Threat Analysis for Routing Protocol for Low-power and lossy networks (RPL)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-roll-security-threats-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:31:56 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Security Threat Analysis for Routing Protocol for Low-power and
   lossy networks (RPL)'
  (draft-ietf-roll-security-threats-11.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy
networks Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-security-threats/

Technical Summary

   This document presents a security threat analysis for the Routing
   Protocol for Low-power and lossy networks (RPL, ROLL).  The
   development builds upon previous work on routing security and adapts
   the assessments to the issues and constraints specific to low-power
   and lossy networks.  A systematic approach is used in defining and
   evaluating the security threats.  Applicable countermeasures are
   application specific and are addressed in relevant applicability
   statements.

Working Group Summary: 

   This document is based upon draft-ietf-roll-security-framework that
   stumbled during IESG review. It was agreed that the resolution of 
   the IESG issues was to produce a new document in line with the 
   ROLL WG work item:

   > Sep 2012: Submit first draft of RPL threat analysis to the IESG to be
   > considered as an Informational RFC

   The goal of this document is to outline threats with the expectation that
   applicability statements will have to cover (i.e. mitigate or solve) these
   threats in some way.

Document Quality:

   The previous document (draft-ietf-roll-security-framework) on which this
   document is based has had thorough reviews by Rene Struik, JP Vasseur,
   Michael Richardson and Adrian Farrel, which ultimately contributed to the 
   re-submission of this document.

   This document has had review from Stephen Kent and Sean Turner.

Personnel: 

 The Document Shepherd is   Robert Cragie ([email-masked])
 The responsible Area Director is Adrian Farrel ([email-masked])