Subject: WG Review: Delay Tolerant Networking (dtn)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:58:05 -0700

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Transport Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2014-10-27.

Delay Tolerant Networking (dtn)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Assigned Area Director:
  Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dtn/current/maillist.html

Charter:

The Delay/Disruption Tolerant Network Working Group (DTNWG) specifies
mechanisms for data communications in the presence of long delays and/or
intermittent connectivity. Delay-Tolerant Networking (DTN) protocols have
been the subject of extensive research and development in the
Delay-Tolerant Networking Research Group (DTNRG) of the Internet Research
Task Force since 2002.  The key documents are the DTN Architecture  (RFC
4838), the Bundle Protocol (RFC 5050), Licklider Transmission Protocol
(RFC
5326) and convergence layers (RFC 7122, 7242). Multiple independent
implementations exist for these technologies and multiple deployments in
space and terrestrial environments.  There is an increase interest in the
commercial world for these technologies, for similar and different use
cases, such as unmanned air vehicles.  In this context, there is a need
to
update the base specifications, i.e., RFC 5050, RFC 7122, RFC 7242, RFC
6257 and RFC 6260,  based on the deployment and implementation experience
as well as the new use cases.  Moreover, there is also a need to have
standards track documents for the market. 

Therefore, the purpose of this working group is to update the base
specifications in light of implementation experience. The group shall
do a review of deployment problems and lessons learned, come to
consensus on the issues to be addressed in the base protocol
documents, and update the specifications accordingly. The group shall
not endeavour to change the underlying architecture or the bundle
protocol principle.

Work items are:

 o  Agree to a list of use cases for evolving the DTN specifications and
    a list of work items to be worked on.

 o  Create updates to RFC5050, convergence layer RFCs, and security
    (RFC6257), as standard track documents.

 o  Document a registry for DTN Service Identifiers. 

Milestones:
  Apr 2015 - Use Cases for evolving the DTN specifications and list of
work items to be worked on.