Subject: Document Action: 'Extensions to the Emergency Services Architecture for dealing with Unauthenticated and Unauthorized Devices' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-ecrit-unauthenticated-access-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 16:04:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extensions to the Emergency Services Architecture for dealing with
   Unauthenticated and Unauthorized Devices'
  (draft-ietf-ecrit-unauthenticated-access-10.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Emergency Context Resolution with
Internet Technologies Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Richard Barnes and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-unauthenticated-access/

Technical Summary

The IETF emergency services architecture assumes that the calling device 
has acquired rights to use the access network or that no authentication 
is required for the access network, such as for public wireless access 
points. Subsequent protocol interactions, such as obtaining location 
information, learning the address of the Public Safety Answering Point 
(PSAP) and the emergency call itself are largely decoupled from the 
underlying network access procedures.

In some cases, however, the device does not have these credentials for 
network access, does not have a VoIP service provider, or the 
credentials have become invalid, e.g., because the user has exhausted 
their prepaid balance or the account has expired.

This document provides a problem statement, introduces terminology and 
describes an extension for the base IETF emergency services architecture 
to address these scenarios.

Working Group Summary

This document represents strong work group consensus and broad group 
participation in developing the solution provided. There were no 
significant controversies that were not overcome during the development 
stage. A successful document development history is documented in the 
ecrit email list archive.

Document Quality

No existing implementations are known to exist. Several vendors were 
involved in sponsoring the document originally, and have stayed involved 
in the development and review of the document.

Personnel

Document shepherd: Roger Marshall (ECRIT co-chair)
Responsible Area Director: Richard Barnes (RAI AD)