Subject: WG Review: Network Virtualization Overlays (nvo3)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 13:35:12 -0700

The Network Virtualization Overlays (nvo3) working group in the Routing
Area of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not made any
determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to
the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2014-10-13.

Network Virtualization Overlays (nvo3)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Matthew Bocci <[email-masked]>
  Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Sam Aldrin <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nvo3/

Charter:

The purpose of the NVO3 WG is to develop a set of protocols and/or
protocol
extensions that enable network virtualization within a data center (DC)
environment that assumes an IP-based underlay. An NVO3 solution provides
layer
2 and/or layer 3 services for virtual networks enabling multi-tenancy and
workload mobility, addressing the issues described in the problem
statement
(including management and security), and consistent with the framework
previously produced by the NVO3 WG.

The NVO3 WG will develop solutions for network virtualization based on
the following architectural tenets:
 - Support for an IP-based underlay data plane
 - A logically centralized authority for network virtualization
Network virtualization approaches that do not adhere to these tenets are
explicitly outside of the scope of the NVO3 WG.

In pursuit of the solutions described above, the NVO3 WG will document an
architecture for network virtualization within a data center environment.

The NVO3 WG may produce requirements for a network virtualization
control plane, and will select, extend, and/or develop one protocol
for each of the functional interfaces identified to support the
architecture. Such protocols are expected to fulfill the communication
requirements between an End Device and a Network Virtualization Edge
(NVE) in cases where the NVE is not co-resident with the End Device,
and between an NVE and the Network Virtualization Authority (NVA).
The internal mechanisms and protocols of a logically centralized NVA
are explicitly out of scope of the NVO3 WG.  Architectural issues
raised by coexistence of multiple logically centralized control planes
in the same data center may be considered by the WG. Inter-DC
mechanisms are not in scope of the NVO3 WG at this time.

The NVO3 WG may produce requirements for network virtualization data
planes based on encapsulation of virtual network traffic over an IP-based
underlay data plane. Such requirements should consider OAM and security. Based on
these requirements the WG will select, extend, and/or develop one or more data
plane encapsulation format(s).

Additionally, the WG may document common use-cases for NVO3 solutions.

The working group may choose to adopt a protocol or data encapsulation
that was previously worked on outside the IETF as the basis for the WG's work.  If
the NVO3 WG anticipates the adoption of the technologies of another SDO as
part of the selected protocols or data encapsulation, the NVO3 WG will first
liaise with that SDO to ensure the compatibility of the approach.

The NVO3 WG will not consider solutions to network virtualization
within a data center environment based on extensions to BGP or LISP
protocols.

Milestones: