Subject: WG Action: Formed BGP Enabled Services (bess)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:19:56 -0700

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Routing Area. For
additional information please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

BGP Enabled Services (bess)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
  Thomas Morin <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bess
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/bess/

Charter:

BGP is established as a protocol for provisioning and operating Layer-3
(routed) Virtual Private Networks (L3VPNs). It is also used in certain
Layer-2  Virtual Private Networks (L2VPNs).

The BGP Enabled Services (BESS) working group is responsible for
defining, specifying, and extending network services based on BGP. In
particular, the working group will work on the following services:

 - BGP/MPLS IP VPN solutions (based on RFC4364 and RFC4659) for
   supporting provider-provisioned L3VPNs including methods for enabling
   multicast over BGP/MPLS VPNs.

 - BGP-enabled L2VPNs (as described in RFC 4664) that operate over IP or
   MPLS packet switched network tunnels. All types of L2VPN are in scope
   provided they utilize BGP for discovery, signaling, or for some other
   purposes related to the VPN. But L2VPN solutions that operate over 
   pseudowires or use LDP and that do not utilize BGP will be addressed
   by the PALS working group. Any contention in placement of the work
   between these working groups will be resolved by the chairs.

 - BGP-enabled VPN solutions for use in the data center networking.
   This work includes consideration of VPN scaling issues and
   mechanisms applicable to such environments.

 - Extensions to BGP-enabled VPN solutions for the construction of
   virtual topologies in support of services such as Service Function
   Chaining.

The working group may also suggest new services to be supported by BGP
and these may be added to the working group charter subject to
rechartering.

The working group may work on:

 - Mechanisms to support BGP-enabled services in the presence of multi-
   homing of Customer Edge (CE) devices to multiple Provider Edge (PE)
   devices to provide load-balancing and resilience.

 - Auto-discovery of sites that participate in the BGP-enabled service.

 - Data models for modeling, managing, and operating BGP-based services
   using SMI or YANG.

 - OAM or resiliency mechanisms operating over BGP-enabled services. But
   native data plane OAM mechanisms may be worked on only in conjunction
   with the working groups responsible for the relevant data planes.

 - Extensions to BGP and extensions to YANG models for BGP. All such
   work must be reviewed by the IDR WG, but the decision to request
   publication of such work remains with the BESS WG.

The working group will also coordinate with other working groups where
appropriate. For example, with the MPLS working group for issues
related to the MPLS architecture, and the NVO3 working group for
coordination of protocols to support data center VPNs.

The BESS working group will not define new data plane or forwarding
plane encapsulations.

Milestones:
  Nov 2014 - Submit specification of the BGP ACCEPT_OWN Community
Attribute to IESG as PS
  Dec 2014 - Submit specification for multicast VPN bidir P-tunnels to
IESG as PS
  Dec 2014 - Submit specifications for E-VPN to IESG as PS
  Feb 2015 - Submit specification for extranet support in multicast VPNs
to IESG as PS
  Feb 2015 - Submit specification of BGP-signaled end-system IP/VPNs to
IESG as PS
  Apr 2015 - Submit specification of BGP as an MVPN PE-CE protocol to
IESG as PS
  Jun 2015 - Submit specification of a multicast VPN MIB to IESG as PS
  Jun 2015 - Submit specification for the use of E-VPN for datacenter
overlays  to IESG as PS
  Jul 2015 - Submit specifications for VPLS multi-homing to IESG as PS
  Sep 2015 - Submit specifications for PBB/E-VPN interoperability to IESG
as PS
  Nov 2015 - Submit specifications for SPB-M/E-VPN interoperability to
IESG as PS
  Nov 2015 - Submit specifications for TRILL/E-VPN interoperability to
IESG as PS
  Dec 2015 - Submit E-VPN OAM to IESG as PS
  Jun 2016 - Submit a Yang or SMI datamodel for RFC4364 to IESG as PS
  Jun 2016 - Submit a Yang or SMI datamodel for E-VPN to IESG as PS