Subject: Protocol Action: 'TFTP Windowsize Option' to Proposed Standard (draft-masotta-tftpexts-windowsize-opt-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 12:24:15 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TFTP Windowsize Option'
  (draft-masotta-tftpexts-windowsize-opt-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-masotta-tftpexts-windowsize-opt/

Technical Summary

This document describes a TFTP option which allows the client and
server to negotiate a window-size of consecutive blocks to send as an
alternative for replacing the single block lock-step schema. 

Activity Summary

The Genesis of draft-masotta-tftpexts-windowsize-opt is an involved
one. It entered the IETF review process as an individual submission.
Concern over interaction with existing IETF standards was identified.
As no instance of the working groups in which tftp was advanced still
exists, it has been variously sponsored by A Transport Area AD and by
an Ops AD.

Document Quality

This document has over time received extensive scrutiny by the IESG.
Review by the transport directorate was solicited and received,
resulting in more explicit description of the circuit breaker
mechanisms employed with TFTP (which while widely employed a not part
of the specification) and some implementation specific values. Security review 
during IETF LC resulted in draft 11.

Personnel

 Joel Jaeggli is the sponsoring AD.