Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: Slim -- Selection of Language for Internet Media

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:04:32 -0800

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/slim/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/slim

Purpose:

A mutually comprehensible language is helpful for human communication. 
This is true across a range of circumstances and environments. In 
general, the problem is most acute in situations where there is not a 
clear choice for a single language, such as environments lacking 
contextual or out-of-band information regarding the identity of the 
parties and the language to be used. 

This list is for discussion of mechanisms to present and select human 
language options for Internet applications. Initial drafts address 
two specific cases that most urgently need a technical solution: One 
problem space is non-real-time communication, specifically email for 
one-to-many or where the set of recipients is dynamic or different 
recipients require different languages; the other is real-time 
communication, especially emergency calling, and also including other 
cases where the parties may not know each other personally or where 
one party wishes to accommodate people with varying language and media 
needs. Especially for real-time communication, language and media are 
intrinsically linked, for example, signed languages require a video 
media.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.