Subject: Protocol Action: 'Protocol to Access White-Space (PAWS) Databases' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-paws-protocol-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:49:13 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Protocol to Access White-Space (PAWS) Databases'
  (draft-ietf-paws-protocol-20.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Protocol to Access WS database
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-paws-protocol/

Technical Summary

   Portions of the radio spectrum that are allocated to licensees are
   available for non-interfering use.  This available spectrum is called
   "White Space."  Allowing secondary users access to available spectrum
   "unlocks" existing spectrum to maximize its utilization and to
   provide opportunities for innovation, resulting in greater overall
   spectrum utilization.

   One approach to manage spectrum sharing uses databases to report
   spectrum availability to devices.  To achieve interoperability among
   multiple devices and databases, a standardized protocol must be
   defined and implemented.  This document defines such a protocol, the
   "Protocol to Access White Space (PAWS) Databases".
   
Working Group Summary

   During the design of the protocol, in earlier phases, there was some
   controversy, even deadlock at some point over a few points. But
   issues got addressed, and for the last 3 versions of the document
   there were no comments indicating any controversy. There were
   significant comments during AD Review and Last Call that have
   also been addressed to the satisfaction of the reviewers, and a
   second Last Call took place to confirm.

Document Quality

   During private conversations, several mailing list members indicated
   that they have an implementation of a version of the protocol, but
   none came forward publicly with their implementations yet, and there
   was no request to hold an interop event.

Personnel

   Gabor Bajko <[email-masked]> is the shepherd.
   Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the AD.