Subject: WG Action: Formed Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking (dtn)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 08:16:34 -0800

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Transport Area. For
additional information please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking (dtn)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
  Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dtn/current/maillist.html

Charter:

The Delay/Disruption Tolerant Network Working Group (DTNWG) specifies
mechanisms for data communications in the presence of long delays and/or
intermittent connectivity. Delay-Tolerant Networking (DTN) protocols 
have been the subject of extensive research and development in the
Delay-Tolerant Networking Research Group (DTNRG) of the Internet 
Research Task Force since 2002.  The key documents are the DTN 
Architecture  (RFC 4838), the Bundle Protocol (RFC 5050), Licklider 
Transmission Protocol (RFC 5326) and convergence layers (RFC 7122, 
7242). Multiple independent implementations exist for these technologies 
and multiple deployments in space and terrestrial environments.  There 
is an increase interest in the commercial world for these technologies, 
for similar and different use cases, such as unmanned air vehicles.  In 
this context, there is a need to update the base specifications, i.e., 
RFC 5050, RFC 7122, RFC 7242, RFC 6257 and RFC 6260,  based on the 
deployment and implementation experience as well as the new use cases.  
Moreover, there is also a need to have standards track documents for the 
market. 

Therefore, the purpose of this working group is to update the base
specifications in light of implementation experience. The group shall
do a review of deployment problems and lessons learned, come to
consensus on the issues to be addressed in the base protocol
documents, and update the specifications accordingly. The group shall
not endeavour to change the underlying architecture or the bundle
protocol principle.

Work items are:

 o  Agree to a list of use cases for evolving the DTN specifications and
    a list of work items to be worked on.

 o  Create updates to RFC5050, convergence layer RFCs, and security
    (RFC6257), as standard track documents.

 o  Document a registry for DTN Service Identifiers. 

Milestones:
  Apr 2015 - Use Cases for evolving the DTN specifications and list of
work items to be worked on.