Subject: RFC 7403 on A Media-Based Traceroute Function for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 17:32:21 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7403

        Title:      A Media-Based Traceroute Function for 
                    the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     H. Kaplan
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 15108
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-straw-sip-traceroute-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7403.txt

SIP already provides the ability to perform hop-by-hop traceroute for
SIP messages using the Max-Forwards header field to determine the
reachability path of requests to a target.  A mechanism for
media-loopback calls has also been defined separately, which enables
test calls to be generated that result in media being looped back to
the originator.  This document describes a means of performing
hop-by-hop traceroute-style test calls using the media-loopback
mechanism to test the media path when SIP sessions go through
media-relaying back-to-back user agents (B2BUAs).

This document is a product of the Sip Traversal Required for Applications to Work Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC