Subject: Document Action: 'Analysis of the 64-bit Boundary in IPv6 Addressing' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-6man-why64-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 09:07:54 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Analysis of the 64-bit Boundary in IPv6 Addressing'
  (draft-ietf-6man-why64-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ted Lemon.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-why64/

Technical Summary:

    The IPv6 unicast addressing format includes a separation between the
    prefix used to route packets to a subnet and the interface identifier
    used to specify a given interface connected to that subnet.
    Currently the interface identifier is defined as 64 bits long for
    almost every case, leaving 64 bits for the subnet prefix.  This
    document describes the advantages of this fixed boundary and analyses
    the issues that would be involved in treating it as a variable
    boundary.

Working Group Summary:

   This document generated a very active discussion on the mailing list and
   in face to face discussions.  There is a strong consensus to publish it
   as an Informational RFC.

Document Quality:

   The document had strong support in the working group and has undergone
   three detailed reviews.   It is ready for publication.

Personnel:

   Bob Hinden is the Document Shepherd
   Brian Haberman is the Responsible AD