Subject: Document Action: 'AS112 Redirection using DNAME' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 11:39:11 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'AS112 Redirection using DNAME'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname/

Technical Summary

   Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses
   that are not globally unique.  Examples are the addresses
   designated in RFC 1918 for private use within individual sites.

   Devices in such environments may occasionally originate Domain
   Name System (DNS) queries (so-called "reverse lookups") corresponding
   to those private-use addresses.  Since the addresses concerned
   have only local significance, it is good practice for site
   administrators to ensure that such queries are answered locally.
   However, it is not uncommon for such queries to follow the normal
   delegation path in the public DNS instead of being answered
   within the site.

   It is not possible for public DNS servers to give useful answers
   to such queries.  In addition, due to the wide deployment of
   private-use addresses and the continuing growth of the Internet,
   the volume of such queries is large and growing.  The AS112
   project aims to provide a distributed sink for such queries in
   order to reduce the load on the IN-ADDR.ARPA authoritative
   servers.  The AS112 project is named after the Autonomous System
   Number (ASN) that was assigned to it.

   The AS112 project does not accommodate the addition and removal
   of DNS zones elegantly.  Since additional zones of definitively
   local significance are known to exist, this presents a problem.
   This document describes modifications to the deployment and use
   of AS112 infrastructure that will allow zones to be added and
   dropped much more easily.

Working Group Summary

   There were no notable outcomes from the WG process or in the
   working-group last call. The dnsop working group chair observed
   strong consensus on the text and the approach described by the
   text following presentations and discussion on the mailing list
   and in multiple in-person meetings.

Document Quality

   The document describes the use of protocols that are already
   defined and implemented to augment AS112 infrastructure. The
   approach was validated by experiment, and an abridged summary
   of that experiment and its results are included in the document.

   The Acknowledgements section of the diagram does not omit to
   mention any significant reviewer.

   The working group review included input from participants with
   significant DNS protocol and operations expertise, and in the
   opinion of this document shepherd and the working group chairs
   no additional expert consultation is required.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Tim Wicinski.

   The dnsop working group chairs are Tim Wicinski and Suzanne
   Woolf.

   The responsible area director is Joel Jaeggli.