Subject: RFC 7413 on TCP Fast Open

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:42:57 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7413

        Title:      TCP Fast Open 
        Author:     Y. Cheng, J. Chu,
                    S. Radhakrishnan, A. Jain
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 59945
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-fastopen-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7413.txt

This document describes an experimental TCP mechanism called TCP Fast Open
(TFO).  TFO allows data to be carried in the SYN and SYN-ACK packets
and consumed by the receiving end during the initial connection
handshake, and saves up to one full round-trip time (RTT) compared to
the standard TCP, which requires a three-way handshake (3WHS) to
complete before data can be exchanged.  However, TFO deviates from the
standard TCP semantics, since the data in the SYN could be replayed to
an application in some rare circumstances.  Applications should not
use TFO unless they can tolerate this issue, as detailed in the
Applicability section.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC