Subject: Last Call: <draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture-13.txt> (A PCE-based Architecture for Application-based Network Operations) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:44:51 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'A PCE-based Architecture for Application-based Network Operations'
  <draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture-13.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-01-09. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Services such as content distribution, distributed databases, or
   inter-data center connectivity place a set of new requirements on the
   operation of networks.  They need on-demand and application-specific
   reservation of network connectivity, reliability, and resources (such
   as bandwidth) in a variety of network applications (such as point-to-
   point connectivity, network virtualization, or mobile back-haul) and
   in a range of network technologies from packet (IP/MPLS) down to
   optical.  Additionally, existing services or capabilities like
   pseudowire connectivity or global concurrent optimization can benefit
   from a operational scheme that considers the application needs and
   the network status.  An environment that operates to meet these types
   of requirement is said to have Application-Based Network Operations
   (ABNO).

   ABNO brings together many existing technologies for gathering
   information about the resources available in a network, for
   consideration of topologies and how those topologies map to
   underlying network resources, for requesting path computation, and
   for provisioning or reserving network resources.  Thus, ABNO may be
   seen as the use of a toolbox of existing components enhanced with a
   few new elements.  The key component within an ABNO is the Path
   Computation Element (PCE), which can be used for computing paths and
   is further extended to provide policy enforcement capabilities for
   ABNO.

   This document describes an architecture and framework for ABNO
   showing how these components fit together.  It provides a cookbook of
   existing technologies to satisfy the architecture and meet the needs
   of the applications.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.