Subject: Protocol Action: 'mLDP In-Band Signaling with Wildcards' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 09:41:53 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'mLDP In-Band Signaling with Wildcards'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding-03.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding/

Technical Summary

   There are scenarios in which an IP multicast tree traverses an MPLS
   domain.  It may be desirable to convert the IP multicast tree "seamlessly"
   to an MPLS multipoint label switched path (MP-LSP) when the multicast 
   tree enters into the MPLS domain. Similarly, the MP-LSP is converted 
   back to an IP multicast tree when the MPLS domain is exited.

   Previous documents specify procedures for certain kinds of IP multicast
   trees to be attached to an MPLS Multipoint Label Switched
   Path (MP-LSP).  These documents do not specify procedures for attaching
   IP "Any Source Multicast" trees to MP-LSPs, nor do they specify procedures 
   for aggregating multiple IP multicast trees onto a single MP-LSP.  

   This document specifies the procedures to support these functions.  It 
   does so by defining "wildcard" encodings that make it possible to specify, 
   when setting up an MP-LSP, that a set of IP multicast trees, or a shared 
   IP multicast tree, should be attached to that MP-LSP. 

   Support for non-bidirectional IP "Any Source Multicast" trees is subject 
   to certain applicability restrictions that are discussed in this document.
   
   This document  updates RFCs 6826 and 7246.

Working Group Summary

   This document and another document (draft-ietf-mpls-pim-sm-over-mldp) at the
   time they were adopted as working group document had a certain overlap. 
   draft-ietf-mpls-pim-sm-over-mldp is just being prepared for wglc
   The overlap was resolved by clearly scoping the two documents, and after that 
   both documents has progressed smoothly.

Document Quality

   We know of existing implementations of this protocol. We also know of 
   vendors that plan to implement and operators that have deployed the 
   protocol.

   The level of review for this document is good, it has been reviewed by the
   shepherd and wg chairs a number of times, it has been through MPLS-RT review,
   wg adoption poll, wglc and RTG Area Quality Assurance review.

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the Document Shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel is the Responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

   Section 2
      s/This draft also/This document also/