Subject: Protocol Action: 'BGP operations and security' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-opsec-bgp-security-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 09:18:06 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BGP operations and security'
  (draft-ietf-opsec-bgp-security-07.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Operational Security Capabilities for
IP Network Infrastructure Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-bgp-security/

Technical Summary

  BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) is the protocol almost exclusively used
   in the Internet to exchange routing information between network
   domains.  Due to this central nature, it is important to understand
   the security measures that can and should be deployed to prevent
   accidental or intentional routing disturbances.

   This document describes measures to protect the BGP sessions itself
   (like TTL, TCP-AO, control plane filtering) and to better control the
   flow of routing information, using prefix filtering and
   automatization of prefix filters, max-prefix filtering, AS path
   filtering, route flap dampening and BGP community scrubbing.

Working Group Summary

Nothing particular to point out. The document and work contribution went 
smoothly without hiccups.

Document Quality

This Is an operational document describing best practices. The baseline 
of the document is the writing down of what successful BGP network
 implementations have deployed.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Gunter Van de Velde
Responsible Area director: Joel Jaeggli