Subject: RFC 7419 on Common Interval Support in Bidirectional Forwarding Detection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:41:26 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7419

        Title:      Common Interval Support in Bidirectional 
                    Forwarding Detection 
        Author:     N. Akiya, M. Binderberger, G. Mirsky
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 16944
        Updates:    RFC 5880

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bfd-intervals-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7419.txt

Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) requires that messages be
transmitted at regular intervals and provides a way to negotiate the
interval used by BFD peers.  Some BFD implementations may be
restricted to only support several interval values.  When such BFD
implementations speak to each other, there is a possibility of two
sides not being able to find a common value for the interval to run
BFD sessions.

This document updates RFC 5880 by defining a small set of interval
values for BFD that we call "Common Intervals" and recommends
implementations to support the defined intervals.  This solves the
problem of finding an interval value that both BFD speakers can
support while allowing a simplified implementation as seen for
hardware-based BFD.  It does not restrict an implementation from
supporting more intervals in addition to the Common Intervals.

This document is a product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC