Subject: Document Action: 'Analysis of Failure Cases in IPv6 Roaming Scenarios' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-roaming-analysis-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 09:46:59 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Analysis of Failure Cases in IPv6 Roaming Scenarios'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-roaming-analysis-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-roaming-analysis/

Technical Summary

   This document identifies a set of failure cases that may be
   encountered by IPv6-enabled mobile customers in roaming scenarios.
   The analysis reveals that the failure causes include improper
   configurations, incomplete functionality support in equipment, and
   inconsistent IPv6 deployment strategies between the home and the
   visited networks.

Working Group Summary

China Mobile has been pretty openly discussing what they call "IPv6
Bearer Network Trials" starting at IETF 81. As one might imagine, they
had various problems with routing (OSPF issues due to variable MTU,
for example) and other operational aspects. They started discussing
their issues in roaming at IETF 87, and other operators experimenting
with the technology chimed in. This was accepted as a working group
draft and discussed at IETF 89, and is now being filed. There has been
active discussion on technical points, but little real dispute.

Document Quality

This is operational experience, and the author list reflects the set
of companies reporting experience with it - Deutsche Telekom AG,
Rogers, China Mobile, and Orange. Given the range of comments made,
the document appears to cover the bases.

Note that while the document specifically addresses 3GPP networks, it
also comments on 2G and 4G, and by extension LTE.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Fred Baker Area Director: Joel Jaeggli