Subject: RFC 7422 on Deterministic Address Mapping to Reduce Logging in Carrier-Grade NAT Deployments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:59:18 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7422

        Title:      Deterministic Address Mapping to Reduce 
                    Logging in Carrier-Grade NAT Deployments 
        Author:     C. Donley, C. Grundemann,
                    V. Sarawat, K. Sundaresan, O. Vautrin
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       December 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 33575
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7422.txt

In some instances, Service Providers (SPs) have a legal logging
requirement to be able to map a subscriber's inside address with the
address used on the public Internet (e.g., for abuse response).
Unfortunately, many logging solutions for Carrier-Grade NATs (CGNs)
require active logging of dynamic translations.  CGN port assignments
are often per connection, but they could optionally use port ranges.
Research indicates that per-connection logging is not scalable in
many residential broadband services.  This document suggests a way to
manage CGN translations in such a way as to significantly reduce the
amount of logging required while providing traceability for abuse
response.  IPv6 is, of course, the preferred solution.  While
deployment is in progress, SPs are forced by business imperatives to
maintain support for IPv4.  This note addresses the IPv4 part of the
network when a CGN solution is in use.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC