Subject: Protocol Action: 'Automatic Multicast Tunneling' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 09:27:40 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Automatic Multicast Tunneling'
  (draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast/

Technical Summary 

  The advantages and benefits provided by multicast technologies are 
  well known.  There are a number of application areas that are ideal 
  candidates for the use of multicast, including media broadcasting, 
  video conferencing, collaboration, real-time data feeds, data 
  replication, and software updates.  Unfortunately, many of these 
  applications lack multicast connectivity to networks that carry 
  traffic generated by multicast sources.  The reasons for the lack of 
  connectivity vary, but are primarily the result of service provider 
  policies and network limitations. 

  Automatic Multicast Tunneling (AMT) is a protocol that uses UDP-based 
  encapsulation to overcome the aforementioned lack of multicast 
  connectivity.  AMT enables sites, hosts or applications that do not 
  have native multicast access to a network with multicast connectivity 
  to a source, to request and receive SSM [RFC4607] and ASM [RFC1112] 
  traffic from a network that does provide multicast connectivity to 
  that source. 

Working Group Summary 

 This document has received strong support from the working group and no
 major controversies existed prior to the arriving at the IESG with 
 this document.

 Subsequent to the previous IESG review, efforts have been made to address IESG  
 discuss issues, deal with IANA concerns and spin up new work associated with  
 congestion guidance for multicast applications.

Document Quality 

  A number of AMT implementations exist today and significant deployment
  experience has been documented.  This document has received thorough
  review from the working group, and many have contributed to this effort
  over the last 11+ years.  In particular, Dave Thaler, Tom Pusateri,
  Thomas Morin and Greg Bumgardner deserve credit for most of the
  authorship of this document, and Bob Sayko, Doug Nortz and their
  colleagues at ATT deserve credit for extremely thorough review of the
  document.

Personnel 

  Lenny Giuliano is the Document Shepherd, Joel Jaeggli is the 
  Responsible Area Director. 

RFC Editor Note

OLD> Gateway support for the Teardown message is OPTIONAL but RECOMMENDED.
NEW> Gateway support for the Teardown message is RECOMMENDED.

Please move the reference to [RFC1321]  from the NORMATIVE reference section to the INFORMATIVE reference section.