Subject: Document Action: 'Application Layer Protocol Negotiation (ALPN) Labels for Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Usages' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-tram-alpn-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 09:33:52 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Application Layer Protocol Negotiation (ALPN) Labels for Session
   Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Usages'
  (draft-ietf-tram-alpn-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the TURN Revised and Modernized Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-alpn/

Technical Summary

This document defines two APLN labels for two usages of STUN over (D)TLS: NAT
discovery and TURN.

Working Group Summary

The draft was initially thought to be a "slam dunk" but the working group ended
up arguing over the granularity of ALPN labels: did we need just one label for
all of STUN or one label for each STUN usage? Once the WG selected the second
option, it argued over the necessity of a generic "STUN" label for future and
unknown usages, rejecting that idea in the end.

Many TRAM regulars participated in the discussion. Martin Thompson in particular
provided much (D)TLS and ALPN expertise. The consensus is solid and represents
the whole working group.

A discussion during Last Call resulted in the deletion of some non-normative text
describing possible use cases.

Document Quality

No specific implementation was mentioned on the list, but this shepherd expects
that WebRTC stacks and TURN servers will implement this draft quickly.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
The responsible Area Director is Spencer Dawkins
The IANA designated expert reviewer for 
    Application-Layer Protocol Negotiation (ALPN) Protocol IDs is Joe Salowey