Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-11.txt> (Deprecating Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 13:55:21 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document:
- 'Deprecating Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-11.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-02-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Experience with the "Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds
   (6to4)" IPv6 transition mechanism defined in RFC 3056 has shown that
   when used in its anycast mode, the mechanism is unsuitable for
   widespread deployment and use in the Internet.  This document
   therefore requests that RFC 3068, "An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay
   Routers", be made obsolete and moved to historic status.  It also
   obsoletes RFC 6732 "6to4 Provider Managed Tunnels".  It recommends
   that future products should not support 6to4 anycast and that
   existing deployments should be reviewed.  This complements the
   guidelines in RFC 6343.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.