Subject: Protocol Action: 'HPACK - Header Compression for HTTP/2' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-header-compression-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 16:55:43 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'HPACK - Header Compression for HTTP/2'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-header-compression-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-header-compression/

Technical Summary

This specification defines HPACK, a compression format for efficiently
representing HTTP header fields, to be used in HTTP/2.

Review and Consensus

We have enjoyed active participation from a broad community, including
browser vendors, intermediaries (such as CDN and proxy vendors), server
vendors and protocol library authors; this includes both commercial
vendors and open source libraries.

Our current implementation list is at:
  https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/wiki/Implementations
  
Additionally, we have had participation and review from the
non-implementing HTTP community itself. We have substantial external
interest from the Web performance community as well.

We have also coordinated with the W3C, giving them regular updates
through the liaison and the TAG.

Personnel

Mark Nottingham is the Document Shepherd and Working Group Chair. Barry
Leiba is the responsible Area Director.