Subject: RFC 7447 on Deprecation of BGP Entropy Label Capability Attribute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 21:35:36 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7447

        Title:      Deprecation of BGP Entropy Label 
                    Capability Attribute 
        Author:     J. Scudder, K. Kompella
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      4
        Characters: 7486
        Updates:    RFC 6790

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-deprecate-bgp-entropy-label-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7447

The BGP Entropy Label Capability attribute is defined in RFC 6790.
Regrettably, it has a bug: although RFC 6790 mandates that routers
incapable of processing Entropy Labels must remove the attribute,
fulfillment of this requirement cannot be guaranteed in practice.
This specification deprecates the attribute.  A forthcoming document
will propose a replacement.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC