Subject: Protocol Action: 'Remote Loop-Free Alternate (LFA) Fast Re-Route (FRR)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-rtgwg-remote-lfa-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 13:34:05 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Remote Loop-Free Alternate (LFA) Fast Re-Route (FRR)'
  (draft-ietf-rtgwg-remote-lfa-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Routing Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-remote-lfa/

Technical Summary

 This draft describes an extension to the basic IP fast re-route
   mechanism described in RFC5286, that provides additional backup
   connectivity for point to point link failures when none can be
   provided by the basic mechanisms.

Working Group Summary

  This draft has been thoroughly discussed in the WG.  The mechanism 
  described protects against link failures.  Significant discussion 
  took place related to the need to also protect against node failures.  
  The WG reached consensus by agreeing to address more complex topic 
  of node protection in a separate draft 
  (draft-psarkar-rtgwg-rlfa-node-protection)

Document Quality

  There are existing implementations and multiple vendors have shown 
  significant interest in the topic.  Note that there is no technical 
  requirement for the selection criteria to be consistent across all 
  routers, but such consistency may be desirable from an operational 
  point of view.

  Besides the discussion about node protection (see above), the 
  acknowledged reviewers deserve a special mention because they went 
  deep into the text/algorithms and contributed the cost-based algorithm 
  text (which is one potential implementation option).   

Personnel

  Document Shepherd = Alvaro Retana
  Responsible Area Director = Alia Atlas