Subject: RFC 7415 on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Rate Control

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 16:08:19 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7415

        Title:      Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Rate Control 
        Author:     E. Noel, P. Williams
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 30456
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7415

The prevalent use of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) in Next
Generation Networks necessitates that SIP networks provide adequate
control mechanisms to maintain transaction throughput by preventing
congestion collapse during traffic overloads.  A loss-based solution
to remedy known vulnerabilities of the SIP 503 (Service Unavailable)
overload control mechanism has already been proposed.  Using the same
signaling, this document proposes a rate-based control scheme to
complement the loss-based control scheme.

This document is a product of the SIP Overload Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC