Subject: Protocol Action: 'IPv6 Router Alert Option for MPLS OAM' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-oam-ipv6-rao-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:21:31 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IPv6 Router Alert Option for MPLS OAM'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-oam-ipv6-rao-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alia Atlas and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-oam-ipv6-rao/

Technical Summary

   This document updates RFC 4379

   This document fixes a gap in MPLS/IPv6, in RFC 4379 that defines 
   the MPLS LSP Ping/Traceroute mechanism, a Router Alert Option MUST 
   be set in the IP header of the MPLS Echo Request messages, and may 
   conditionally be set in the IP header of the MPLS Echo Reply messages.
   A generic "Router shall examine packet" Option Value is used for the
   IPv4 Router Alert Option (RAO). There is no corresponding generic Router Alert
   Option Value defined for IPv6. This document allocates this new generic IPv6 
   RAO Value. The RAO value can be used by the entire set of MPLS OAM 
   functions as needed, but the  initial motivation comes from using RFC 4379 
   with IPv6. 

   The document defines the RAO that will be used in the MPLS Echo Request 
   and MPLS Echo Reply messages in IPv6 environments.  Consequently, it
   updates RFC 4379.

Working Group Summary

  This document is generally accepted by the working group, there are several
  implementations of RFC 4379 for IPv6 going on or planned and this gap is 
  widely recognized.

Document Quality

   No expert reviews necessary!

   The RAO Value is necessary to correctly implement LSP Ping and Traceroute
   for IPv6 networks.
 
Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Loa ANdersson
  Responsible Area Director: Adrian Farrel