Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-precis-framework-22.txt> (PRECIS Framework: Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 11:04:16 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Preparation and Comparison of
Internationalized Strings WG (precis) to consider the following document:
- 'PRECIS Framework: Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of
   Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols'
  <draft-ietf-precis-framework-22.txt> as Proposed Standard

This is a second Last Call. Even though this document has already been
through IESG Evaluation and was approved pending an RFC Editor note to
address some comments, significant enough issues were raised and changes
were made that a new Last Call and IESG Evaluation is prudent.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-02-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Application protocols using Unicode characters in protocol strings
   need to properly handle such strings in order to enforce
   internationalization rules for strings placed in various protocol
   slots (such as addresses and identifiers) and to perform valid
   comparison operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or
   authorization).  This document defines a framework enabling
   application protocols to perform the preparation, enforcement, and
   comparison of internationalized strings ("PRECIS") in a way that
   depends on the properties of Unicode characters and thus is agile
   with respect to versions of Unicode.  As a result, this framework
   provides a more sustainable approach to the handling of
   internationalized strings than the previous framework, known as
   Stringprep (RFC 3454).  This document obsoletes RFC 3454.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.