Subject: RFC 7474 on Security Extension for OSPFv2 When Using Manual Key Management

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:34:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7474

        Title:      Security Extension for OSPFv2 When 
                    Using Manual Key Management 
        Author:     M. Bhatia, S. Hartman,
                    D. Zhang, A. Lindem, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 31832
        Updates:    RFC 2328, RFC 5709

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-security-extension-manual-keying-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7474

The current OSPFv2 cryptographic authentication mechanism as defined
in RFCs 2328 and 5709 is vulnerable to both inter-session and intra-
session replay attacks when using manual keying.  Additionally, the
existing cryptographic authentication mechanism does not cover the IP
header.  This omission can be exploited to carry out various types of
attacks.

This document defines changes to the authentication sequence number
mechanism that will protect OSPFv2 from both inter-session and intra-
session replay attacks when using manual keys for securing OSPFv2
protocol packets.  Additionally, we also describe some changes in the
cryptographic hash computation that will eliminate attacks resulting
from OSPFv2 not protecting the IP header.

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC