Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-cidr-prefix-01.txt> (IPv6 Prefix Length Recommendation for Forwarding) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 09:34:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document:
- 'IPv6 Prefix Length Recommendation for Forwarding'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-cidr-prefix-01.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-04-20. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   IPv6 prefix length, as in IPv4, is a parameter conveyed and used in
   IPv6 routing and forwarding processes in accordance with the
   Classless Inter-domain Routing (CIDR) architecture.  The length of an
   IPv6 prefix may be any number from zero to 128, although subnets
   using stateless address autoconfiguration (SLAAC) for address
   allocation conventionally use a /64 prefix.  Hardware and software
   algorithms should therefore impose no rules on prefix length, but
   implement longest-match-first on prefixes of any valid length.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-cidr-prefix/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-cidr-prefix/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.