Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-negotiated-ff-dhe-08.txt> (Negotiated Finite Field Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral Parameters for TLS) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 19:07:09 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security WG
(tls) to consider the following document:
- 'Negotiated Finite Field Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral Parameters for TLS'
  <draft-ietf-tls-negotiated-ff-dhe-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-04-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Traditional finite-field-based Diffie-Hellman (DH) key exchange
   during the TLS handshake suffers from a number of security,
   interoperability, and efficiency shortcomings.  These shortcomings
   arise from lack of clarity about which DH group parameters TLS
   servers should offer and clients should accept.  This document offers
   a solution to these shortcomings for compatible peers by using a
   section of the TLS "EC Named Curve Registry" to establish common
   finite-field DH parameters with known structure and a mechanism for
   peers to negotiate support for these groups.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-negotiated-ff-dhe/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-negotiated-ff-dhe/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.