Subject: RFC 7527 on Enhanced Duplicate Address Detection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:19:41 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7527

        Title:      Enhanced Duplicate Address Detection 
        Author:     R. Asati, H. Singh,
                    W. Beebee, C. Pignataro,
                    E. Dart, W. George
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24528
        Updates:    RFC 4429, RFC 4861, RFC 4862

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-enhanced-dad-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7527

IPv6 Loopback Suppression and Duplicate Address Detection (DAD) are
discussed in Appendix A of RFC 4862.  That specification mentions a
hardware-assisted mechanism to detect looped back DAD messages.  If
hardware cannot suppress looped back DAD messages, a software
solution is required.  Several service provider communities have
expressed a need for automated detection of looped back Neighbor
Discovery (ND) messages used by DAD.  This document includes
mitigation techniques and outlines the Enhanced DAD algorithm to
automate the detection of looped back IPv6 ND messages used by DAD.
For network loopback tests, the Enhanced DAD algorithm allows IPv6 to
self-heal after a loopback is placed and removed.  Further, for
certain access networks, this document automates resolving a specific
duplicate address conflict.  This document updates RFCs 4429, 4861,
and 4862.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC