Subject: RFC 7498 on Problem Statement for Service Function Chaining

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:34:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7498

        Title:      Problem Statement for Service Function 
                    Chaining 
        Author:     P. Quinn, Ed.,
                    T. Nadeau, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 28970
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sfc-problem-statement-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7498

This document provides an overview of the issues associated with the
deployment of service functions (such as firewalls, load balancers,
etc.) in large-scale environments.  The term "service function
chaining" is used to describe the definition and instantiation of an
ordered list of instances of such service functions, and the
subsequent "steering" of traffic flows through those service
functions.

The set of enabled service function chains reflects operator service
offerings and is designed in conjunction with application delivery
and service and network policy.

This document also identifies several key areas that the Service
Function Chaining (SFC) working group will investigate to guide its
architectural and protocol work and associated documents.

This document is a product of the Service Function Chaining Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC