Subject: Protocol Action: 'Definition of Managed Objects for Battery Monitoring' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 15:54:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Definition of Managed Objects for Battery Monitoring'
  (draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-20.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Energy Management Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib/

Technical Summary

This document defines a portion of the Management Information Base
(MIB) for managed objects that provide information on the status of
batteries in managed devices.

According to the framework for energy management it is an Energy
Managed Object, so MIB modules such as the Power and Energy
Monitoring MIB could in principle be implemented for batteries.  The
Battery MIB extends the more generic aspects of energy management by
adding battery-specific information.  Amongst other things, the
Battery MIB enables the monitoring of:
 - the current charge of a battery,
 - the age of a battery (charging cycles),
 - the state of a battery (e.g. being re-charged),
 - last usage of a battery,
 - maximum energy provided by a battery (remaining and total capacity).

Working Group Summary

Version -01 of the draft was published in April 2011.
New versions were published about every three months from then
until version -11 in early January 2014.

Document Quality

Version -11 had its WG Last Call from 10 to 24 January 2014;
as part of that it was reviewed by the MIB-Doctors.  Several reviews
were received from the EMAN list, as well as a list of
changes and improvements from the MIB Doctors.
The authors have modified the draft in response to that feedback; 
we believe that the current (-12) version has resolved all the 
issues.  That discussion took place on the EMAN list through March
2014.

Personnel

Document Shepherd:         Nevil Brownlee
Responsible Area Director: Joel Jaegli