Subject: Protocol Action: 'Message Header Field for Indicating Message Authentication Status' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc7001bis-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 09:46:25 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Message Header Field for Indicating Message Authentication Status'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc7001bis-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc7001bis/

Technical Summary

    This document specifies a message header field called Authentication-
    Results for use with electronic mail messages to indicate the results
    of message authentication efforts.  Any receiver-side software, such
    as mail filters or Mail User Agents (MUAs), can use this header field
    to relay that information in a convenient and meaningful way to users
    or to make sorting and filtering decisions.

    This document updates RFC 7001 to resolve errata regarding
    Authentication-Results values in the Email Authentication Parameters
    registry not being well specified in current references.  When RFC 5451
    was obsoleted by RFC 7001, not all the definitions were brought forward.

Review and Consensus

    During 7001bis development there was a robust discussion within appsawg with
    six participants active during various phases of the discussion.  In the course of
    development of 7001bis, there was a comprehensive review of the status and
    Specification of all the elements of the Email Authentication Parameters
    registry.  Additional changes were captured to both make sure the entries in
    the registry were all adequately documented and that the contents of the
    registry were correct and current.
    
    The major point of complexity in this update was writing an IANA
    Considerations section that would result in a correct registry state
    (particularly references).
    
    The consensus appears to be broad on this update.  There were no real points
    of controversy.  
    
    This update is primarily intended to make the documentation match reality, so
    it is not expected to affect current Authentication-Results implementation.
    The improved documentation, both in 7001bis and in the Email Authentication
    Parameters Registry, should assist future implementation work.
    
Personnel

    The document shepherd is Scott Kitterman.
    The responsible Area Director is Barry Leiba.