Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes-01.txt> (Diameter Congestion and Filter Attributes) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 08:10:47 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Diameter Maintenance and
Extensions WG (dime) to consider the following document:
- 'Diameter Congestion and Filter Attributes'
  <draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes-01.txt> as Proposed
Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-06-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines optional ECN and filter related attributes that
   can be used for improved traffic identification, support of ECN and
   minimized filter administration within Diameter.

   RFC 5777 defines a Filter-Rule AVP that accommodates extensions for
   classification, conditions and actions. It does not support traffic
   identification for packets using Explicit Congestion Notification as
   defined in RFC 3168 and does not provide specific actions when the
   flow(s) described by the Filter-Rule are congested.

   A Filter-Rule can describe multiple flows but not the exact number of
   flows. Flow count and other associated data (e.g. packets) is not
   captured in Accounting applications, leaving administrators without
   useful information regarding the effectiveness or understanding of
   the filter definition.

   These optional attributes are forward and backwards compatible with
   RFC 5777.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.