Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-10.txt> (Updating TCP to support Rate-Limited Traffic) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 02:33:07 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor
Extensions WG (tcpm) to consider the following document:
- 'Updating TCP to support Rate-Limited Traffic'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-10.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-05-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document provides a mechanism to address issues that arise when
   TCP is used to support traffic that exhibits periods where the
   sending rate is limited by the application rather than the congestion
   window.  It provides an experimental update to TCP that allows a TCP
   sender to restart quickly following a rate-limited interval.  This
   method is expected to benefit applications that send rate-limited
   traffic using TCP, while also providing an appropriate response if
   congestion is experienced.

   It also evaluates the Experimental specification of TCP Congestion
   Window Validation, CWV, defined in RFC 2861, and concludes that RFC
   2861 sought to address important issues, but failed to deliver a
   widely used solution.  This document therefore recommends that the
   status of RFC 2861 is moved from Experimental to Historic, and that
   it is replaced by the current specification.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.