Subject: RFCs and Digital Object Identifiers

From: RFC Series Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 14:10:29 -0700

Hello all,

Academic, scientific, technical, and medical publishers extensively use
Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) <http://www.doi.org/>.  DOIs are 
considered an unambiguous way to identify and ultimately cite specific 
publications.  In academia, some institutions do not recognize any 
book or article published that does not have a DOI assigned. The RFC
Editor has been working with Standcore, LLC, to have all RFCs assigned 
and registered with DOIs, and to update the publication process to 
automatically assign and register DOIs at time of publication.  The goals 
of this project are described in <draft-iab-doi>.

This project is now complete; all RFCs have a DOI assigned and
registered with CrossRef, the RFC index XML and HTML files have been
updated, the Info page for each RFC modified, and the style guidance for
reference entries within RFCs has been modified to include DOIs.

Please post to the [email-masked] mailing list if you have
any questions!

Heather Flanagan, RSE