Subject: Protocol Action: 'Provider Backbone Bridging Combined with Ethernet VPN (PBB-EVPN)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-evpn-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 07:48:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Provider Backbone Bridging Combined with Ethernet VPN (PBB-EVPN)'
  (draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-evpn-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alvaro Retana.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-evpn/

Technical Summary

   This document discusses how Ethernet Provider Backbone Bridging (PBB)
   can be combined with Ethernet VPN (EVPN) in order to reduce the
   number of BGP MAC advertisement routes by aggregating Customer/Client
   MAC (C-MAC) addresses via Provider Backbone MAC address (B-MAC),
   provide client MAC address mobility using C-MAC aggregation, confine
   the scope of C-MAC learning to only active flows, offer per site
   policies and avoid C-MAC address flushing on topology changes. The
   combined solution is referred to as PBB-EVPN.

Working Group Summary

   This document was an L2VPN Working Group document, and w reviewed
   in the working group through multiple iterations of the draft.

   The document passed WG last call in the L2VPN WG but is being advanced
   as AD Sponsored because that WG has closed.

Document Quality:

   The document is of roughly average length (22 pages).

   It is well structured, but needs to be read in the context of the base EVPN 
   RFC (draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn-11- should be an RFC soon), and requires
   knowledge of Ethernet bridging (including PBB).  

   The document has been through multiple revisions and is now sufficiently
   stable to progress to RFC, and more importantly to be used as a reference
   for creating interoperable implementations (in fact PBB EVPN has already
   been implemented by multiple vendors with more implementations in
   progress).

Personnel:

    Document Shepherd: Giles Heron ([email-masked])
    Area Director: Alvaro Retana