Subject: Protocol Action: 'Deprecation of MIB Module NAT-MIB (Managed Objects for Network Address Translators (NAT))' to Proposed Standard (draft-perrault-behave-deprecate-nat-mib-v1-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:46:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Deprecation of MIB Module NAT-MIB (Managed Objects for Network Address
   Translators (NAT))'
  (draft-perrault-behave-deprecate-nat-mib-v1-04.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-perrault-behave-deprecate-nat-mib-v1/

Note: The objects defined in RFC 4008, which this document deprecates, generate the following SMILINT warnings:

mibs/NAT-MIB:932: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index of row 
`natAddrBindEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 141 subidentifier(s)

mibs/NAT-MIB:1162: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index of row 
`natAddrPortBindEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 143 subidentifier(s)

The authors have not corrected those errors, but only flagged the OID as deprecated.

Technical Summary

   This memo deprecates MIB module NAT-MIB, a portion of the Management
   Information Base (MIB) previously defined in RFC 4008 for devices
   implementing Network Address Translator (NAT) function.  A companion
   document defines a new version, NAT-MIB-V2, which responds to
   deficiencies found in module NAT-MIB and adds new capabilities.

   This document obsoletes RFC 4008.

Working Group Summary

   At Dave Harrington's suggestion, this material, deprecating 
   NAT-MIB, was moved into its own document, from
   draft-perrault-behave-natv2-mib

Document Quality

   David Harrington reviewed this material before it was moved
   into its own draft.

Personnel

   Spencer Dawkins is the responsible area director, and is acting
   as document shepherd.