Subject: Protocol Action: 'HMAC-SHA-2 Authentication Protocols in USM for SNMPv3' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-opsawg-hmac-sha-2-usm-snmp-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:24:53 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'HMAC-SHA-2 Authentication Protocols in USM for SNMPv3'
  (draft-ietf-opsawg-hmac-sha-2-usm-snmp-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-hmac-sha-2-usm-snmp/

Technical Summary

This memo specifies new HMAC-SHA-2 authentication protocols for USM using an
HMAC based on the SHA-2 family of hash functions. They are straightforward
adaptations of the authentication protocols HMAC-MD5-96 and HMAC-SHA-96 to the
SHA-2 based HMAC.

Working Group Summary

During the adoption call we discovered that there was another document
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hartman-snmp-sha2/) which did
something very similar. This document had been written earlier, but neither
the document authors, nor most of the OpsAWG WG was aware of it. The CfA
stalled for a long time while we asked the WG to decide which option they
proffered, and to see if there was a clean way to combine the two
documents. In the end, the authors of hartman-snmp-sha2 agreed that this
document (hmac-sha-2-usm-snmp) should progress.

Document Quality

The document is well written and clear.  David Reid (at least) has implemented
this ("We have also implemented it (using private OIDs for now).")

Personnel

Warren Kumari will be the document shepherd. Joel Jaeggli is the AD.