Subject: WG Action: Formed Javascript Object Notation Update (jsonbis)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 09:42:29 -0700

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Applications and
Real-Time Area. For additional information please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chair.

Javascript Object Notation Update (jsonbis)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Matthew Miller <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/json
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/json/

Charter:

Javascript Object Notation (JSON) is a lightweight, text-based,
language-independent data interchange format. It was derived from the
ECMAScript Programming Language Standard, and is published in both
ECMA-404 and RFC 7159. First published over 10 years ago, JSON has come
into nearly ubiquitous use, often the first choice for data interchange
over other forms -- especially for applications that work over the World
Wide Web.  Given this ubiquity it makes sense to move JSON to Internet
Standard.

JSON is defined in two separate documents from two different bodies.
ECMA-404, published by Ecma International, focuses on the abstract 
syntax. RFC 7159, published by the IETF, focuses on the interoperability 
concerns when exchanging JSON over a network. The two documents agree on 
the structure of what JSON is.

The JSON working group will have as its only task the minor
revision of RFC 7159 to bring it to Internet Standard, and fully
acknowledge the syntax definition in ECMA-404. The work is essentially
a reclassification in place, with absolute minimal changes, though those
changes will require publication of a new RFC.  The working group will
review errata and update the document as needed to incorporate those.

The resulting RFC will be aligned with a corresponding publication by 
ECMA. The Working Group will work with the liaison managers to 
coordinate with Ecma International TC39 on the editing of both 
documents. The responsible AD will work with the liaison managers to 
coordinate the approval process with Ecma International so that the 
versions of the document that are approved by each body are properly 
aligned with regard to syntax and shared semantics.

Milestones:
  Oct 2015 - Request publication of JSON standard