Subject: Protocol Action: 'BGP ACCEPT_OWN Community Attribute' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-l3vpn-acceptown-community-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 06:49:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BGP ACCEPT_OWN Community Attribute'
  (draft-ietf-l3vpn-acceptown-community-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-acceptown-community/

Technical Summary

   Under certain conditions it is desirable for a BGP route reflector to
   be able to modify the Route Target list of a VPN route that is
   distributed by the route reflector, enabling the route reflector to
   control how a route originated within one VRF is imported into other
   VRFs.  This technique works effectively as long as the VRF that
   exports the route is not on the same PE as the VRF(s) that import the
   route.  However, due to the constraints of the BGP protocol, it does
   not work if the two are on the same PE.  This document describes a
   modification to the BGP protocol allowing this technique to work when
   the VRFs are on the same PE, allowing the technique to be used in a
   standard manner throughout an autonomous system.

Working Group Summary:

  Opposition to the proposal was initially expressed by one contributor, 
  but there was good support for adoption and no particular follow-up 
  from that contributor.

Document Quality:

  The specs are clear and concise, and document a fairly straightforward
  optional change to the BGP protocol procedures. The document was
  discussed in both l3vpn and idr working groups. These specs have been
  implemented at least in Cisco's IOS XR with field deployment.

Personnel:

  Thomas Morin is the Document Shepherd.
 Alvaro Retana is the responsible AD.