Subject: Call for Papers: Managing Radio Networks in an Encrypted World (MaRNEW) Workshop

From: IAB Executive Administrative Manager <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:25:26 -0700

Managing Radio Networks in an Encrypted World (MaRNEW) Workshop
Thursday 24th - Friday 25th September, 2015, 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
AT&T Atlanta, Atlanta, GA 
Website: https://www.iab.org/activities/workshops/marnew/

Mobile networks have a set of requirements and properties which places a 
large emphasis on sophisticated bandwidth optimization. Encryption is 
increasing on the internet which is a good thing for consumer and 
business privacy and security. Many existing mobile bandwidth 
optimization solutions primarily operate on non-encrypted 
communications; this can lead to performance issues being amplified on 
mobile networks. Encryption on networks will continue to increase; and 
with this understanding the workshop aims to understand how we can solve 
the issues of bandwidth optimization and performance on radio networks 
in this encrypted world.

Understanding “Bandwidth Optimization”

For the purposes of this workshop, bandwidth optimization encompasses a 
variety of technical topics related to traffic engineering, 
prioritisation, optimisation, efficiency enhancements, as well as user-
related topics such as specific subscription or billing models. These 
can include:

- Caching
- Prioritisation of interactive traffic over background traffic,
- Per-user bandwidth limits
- Business-related topics such as content delivery arrangements with 
  specific content providers.

Many of these functions can continue as they’re performed today, even 
with more encryption. Others traditionally inspect parts of the 
communication that are encrypted, and will have to be done differently 
in a more-encrypted Internet.

Finally, while not strictly speaking traffic management, some networks 
employ policy-based filtering (e.g., requested parental controls) and 
all networks support some form of legal interception functionality per 
applicable laws.

Topics

For this workshop we would like to consider topics that speak to these 
questions, including the following:

- Understanding the bandwidth optimization use cases particular to radio 
  networks
- Understanding existing approaches and how these do not work with 
  encrypted traffic
- Understanding reasons why the Internet has not standardised support 
  for LI and why mobile networks have
- Determining how to match traffic types with bandwidth optimization 
  methods
- Discussing minimal information to be shared to manage networks but 
  ensure user security and privacy
- Developing new bandwidth optimization techniques and protocols within 
  these new constraints
- Discussing the appropriate network layer(s) for each management 
  function
- Cooperative methods of bandwidth optimization and issues associated 
  with these

The outcome of the workshop will be architectural and engineering 
guidance on future work in the area, published as an IAB workshop 
report, based on discussion of proposed approaches. We will also explore 
possible areas for standardization, e.g. new protocols that can aid 
bandwidth optimization whilst ensuring user security inline with new 
work in the transport layer.

Submission Instructions:

Attendance at the workshop is by invitation. Prospective participants 
are invited to submit short (i.e., about two pages) position papers 
outlining their views on one or more topics related to the scope of the 
workshop.  Position papers will be published on the IAB website at 
https://www.iab.org/activities/workshops/marnew/.

Submissions accepted at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=marnew-1
Title and Statement of Intent Deadline: 14 July 2015
Final Submission Deadline: 7 August 2015
Notification Deadline: 14 August 2015
Workshop Dates: 24-25 September 2015

Statement of Intent: this should be a paragraph or two on the outline of 
your position paper and your expectations for outcomes and contribution 
to the workshop.