Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression-21.txt> (Compression Extensions for WebSocket) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 07:03:25 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the BiDirectional or
Server-Initiated HTTP WG (hybi) to consider the following document:
- 'Compression Extensions for WebSocket'
  <draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression-21.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-06-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines a framework for creating WebSocket extensions
   that add compression functionality to the WebSocket Protocol.  An
   extension based on this framework compresses the payload data portion
   of WebSocket data messages on a per-message basis using parameters
   negotiated during the opening handshake.  This framework provides a
   general method for applying a compression algorithm to the contents
   of WebSocket messages.  Each compression algorithm has to be defined
   in a document defining the extension by specifying parameter
   negotiation and payload transformation algorithm in detail.  This
   document also specifies one specific compression extension using the
   DEFLATE algorithm.

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.