Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Address Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis-24.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:17:56 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Address Format'
  (draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis-24.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Extensible Messaging and Presence
Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba, Ben Campbell and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis/

Technical Summary

This document defines the address format for the Extensible Messaging
and Presence Protocol (XMPP), including support for code points
outside the ASCII range.  This document obsoletes RFC 6122 to move 
from using stringprep to using precis profiles.

Working Group Summary

This document received review from a small but active number of
individuals from the Working Group and the XMPP Community.  There is
consensus to publish this document.

The XMPP Community did raise the concern that some addresses which are
valid using RFC 6122 are no longer valid using this document.  However,
the consensus of the XMPP Community and the Working Group is that: this
document adequately describes the concerns and potential ways to
resolve such issues; and that such JIDs are exceedingly rare, if they
have ever been encountered.

Document Quality

XMPP has a number of interoperable implementations, and a vibrant
development community.  Several implementers have reviewed various
versions of this document. 

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Matthew Miller
The responsible AD is Ben Campbell.