Subject: RFC 7505 on A "Null MX" No Service Resource Record for Domains That Accept No Mail

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 16:33:25 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7505

        Title:      A "Null MX" No Service 
                    Resource Record for Domains That Accept 
                    No Mail 
        Author:     J. Levine, M. Delany
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 12534
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7505

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7505

Internet mail determines the address of a receiving server through
the DNS, first by looking for an MX record and then by looking for an
A/AAAA record as a fallback.  Unfortunately, this means that the
A/AAAA record is taken to be mail server address even when that
address does not accept mail.  The No Service MX RR, informally
called "null MX", formalizes the existing mechanism by which a domain
announces that it accepts no mail, without having to provide a mail
server; this permits significant operational efficiencies.

This document is a product of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC