Subject: Last Call: <draft-wkumari-dhc-capport-12.txt> (Captive-Portal identification in DHCP / RA) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 06:00:35 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Captive-Portal identification in DHCP / RA'
  <draft-wkumari-dhc-capport-12.txt> as Informational RFC

-
The document got extensive review in DHC  OPSAWG and 
elsewhere prior to the decision to AD-sponsor the draft. 
An informal BOF was held and a mailing list subsequently created to
continue to explore the problem space more generally

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/captive-portals 
-

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-07-07. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In many environments offering short-term or temporary Internet access
   (such as coffee shops), it is common to start new connections in a
   captive portal mode.  This highly restricts what the customer can do
   until the customer has authenticated.

   This document describes a DHCP option (and a RA extension) to inform
   clients that they are behind some sort of captive portal device, and
   that they will need to authenticate to get Internet Access.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wkumari-dhc-capport/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wkumari-dhc-capport/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.