Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-xmpp-posh-04.txt> (PKIX over Secure HTTP (POSH)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:00:01 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Extensible Messaging and
Presence Protocol WG (xmpp) to consider the following document:
- 'PKIX over Secure HTTP (POSH)'
  <draft-ietf-xmpp-posh-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-07-08. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Experience has shown that it is extremely difficult to deploy proper
   PKIX certificates for TLS in multi-tenanted environments.  As a
   result, domains hosted in such environments often deploy applications
   using certificates that identify the hosting service, not the hosted
   domain.  Such deployments force end users and peer services to accept
   a certificate with an improper identifier, resulting in obvious
   security implications.  This document defines two methods that make
   it easier to deploy certificates for proper server identity checking
   in non-HTTP application protocols.  While these methods developed for
   use in the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) as a
   Domain Name Association (DNA) prooftype, they might also be usable in
   other non-HTTP application protocols.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xmpp-posh/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xmpp-posh/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.