Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) Usage for REsource LOcation And Discovery (RELOAD)' to Proposed Standard (draft-jimenez-p2psip-coap-reload-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:02:16 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) Usage for REsource LOcation
   And Discovery (RELOAD)'
  (draft-jimenez-p2psip-coap-reload-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jimenez-p2psip-coap-reload/

Technical Summary

  This document defines a Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
  Usage for REsource LOcation And Discovery (RELOAD).  The CoAP Usage
  provides the functionality to federate Wireless Sensor Networks
  (WSN) in a peer-to-peer fashion.  The CoAP Usage for RELOAD allows
  CoAP nodes to store resources in a RELOAD peer-to-peer overlay,
  provides a lookup service, and enables the use of RELOAD overlay as
  a cache for sensor data.  This functionality is implemented in the
  RELOAD overlay itself, without the use of centralized servers.  The
  RELOAD AppAttach method is used to establish a direct connection
  between nodes through which CoAP messages are exchanged.

Working Group Summary

  The mechanism specified in this draft is directly related to two
  protocols: CoAP and RELOAD. Therefore, the draft was discussed in
  both the CORE and the P2PSIP WGs. The draft was presented in the
  face-to-face session of the P2PSIP WG at IETF 83. It was decided to
  progress it as an AD sponsored document. As part of that process,
  dedicated reviewers from both communities were assigned to the draft
  so that the draft was reviewed from both points of view before its
  publication was requested.

Document Quality

  At least Ericsson has an implementation of the draft using an older
  version of RELOAD. There have been academic papers published
  describing parts of that implementation. Other parties have shown
  interest in implementing it as well once the RFC is published.

Personnel

  Carlos Jesus Bernardos is the document shepherd.
  Ben Campbell is the responsible area director.