Subject: Request for volunteers or nominations to 2016 ICANN NomCom

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:10:06 -0400

Dear Colleagues:

The IAB (on behalf of the IETF) has been asked to supply a member to the 2016 ICANN
Nominating Committee (NomCom). The IAB would therefore like to ask the community 
for volunteers to serve on the ICANN NomCom. Last year, John Levine did the
job for the IETF community, and he is willing to serve again. The IAB would like to see
whether others are interested in serving in this capacity.

If you are interested in serving on the ICANN NomCom, please send a short e-mail to 
iab-chair at iab.org and execd at iab.org with your motivation and information concerning 
your familiarity with the IETF and ICANN. Alternatively, if you know of someone who may 
be a good fit for this position, please send the name and email address to e-mail to
iab-chair at iab.org and execd at iab.org. The deadline for nominations or volunteers is 
28 August 2015.

After asking for community input on the candidates, the IAB will select from the available 
candidates. We shall take into account canidates' familiarity with ICANN and the IETF 
(including their roles and processes). The selected candidate will serve on the ICANN 
NomCom on personal title;  however, we will be looking for a candidate who has an 
understanding of the interests of the IETF and the broader technical community.

The ICANN NomCom process itself is governed by the ICANN bylaws; an abstract of the relevant 
articles can be found at http://nomcom.icann.org/bylaws.htm.  In addition, each NomCom 
determines a number of its own operational procedures, including the role of the NomCom in 
recruiting and selecting candidates for ICANN leadership positions.  Based on the experience
of previous volunteers, the time commitment is significant.  The selected person should be
prepared to participate in the recruitment of potential candidates for ICANN leadership
positions (a few hours per month November through April); a few hours on conference calls
each month (and even more near selection); ten or more hours per month reviewing and
assessing candidate qualifications in April, May, and June; and multiple days of face-to-face
meetings of the full NomCom at each of the three ICANN meetings.

The ICANN NomCom typically meets in person at or around three consecutive ICANN meetings
in various locations throughout the world, resulting next summer in a final slate of candidates 
for the ICANN Board, the GNSO, ccNSO, and ALAC.

NOTE: ICANN covers travel and hotel costs for a pre-determined number of days at each
of the 3 consecutive ICANN meetings under prevailing ICANN policies.

Candidates should be able to join monthly teleconferences (typically at UTC 14:00), with the 
expectation that these teleconferences will held weekly during the candidate assessment 
process in May and June.

For more information about the ICANN NomCom see: http://nomcom.icann.org/

On behalf of the IAB,
  Andrew Sullivan
  IAB Chair