Subject: Protocol Action: 'Time Zone Data Distribution Service' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tzdist-service-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 09:48:22 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Time Zone Data Distribution Service'
  (draft-ietf-tzdist-service-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Time Zone Data Distribution Service
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tzdist-service/

Technical Summary
This document defines a time zone data distribution service that
allows reliable, secure and fast delivery of time zone data and leap
second rules to client systems such as calendaring and scheduling
applications or operating systems.

Review and Consensus
Issues have been methodically tracked and addressed. The individual draft came
through 11 revisions and once adopted as WG document, the WG draft came
through 7 additional revisions. They were among 22 open issues. All these issues
have reached rough consensus on the mailing list.  In addition, the document was
also reviewed on the saag, app-discuss, int-area, ops-area and ietf-privacy mailing
lists.

As a result of the numerous addressed issues with a strong consensus, the initial
proposal has significantly changed from its initial version.  Among the changes are
1) leap seconds, 2) redesign of the API, 3) historical data management has been
considered, 4) security and privacy both in design and considerations section.

Personnel
The document shepherd is Daniel Migault. The responsible Area
Director is Barry Leiba.