Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-02.txt> (Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers by Running One on Loopback) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 07:12:50 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document:
- 'Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers by Running One on Loopback'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-02.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-08-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round trip
   times to the closest DNS root server.  Some DNS recursive resolver
   operators want to prevent snooping of requests sent to DNS root
   servers by third parties.  Such resolvers can greatly decrease the
   round trip time and prevent observation of requests by running a copy
   of the full root zone on a loopback address (such as 127.0.0.1).
   This document shows how to start and maintain such a copy of the root
   zone that does not pose a threat to other users of the DNS, at the
   cost of adding some operational fragility for the operator.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2539/