Subject: BCP 198, RFC 7608 on IPv6 Prefix Length Recommendation for Forwarding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 06:37:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 198        
        RFC 7608

        Title:      IPv6 Prefix Length Recommendation for 
                    Forwarding 
        Author:     M. Boucadair, A. Petrescu,
                    F. Baker
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 10818
        See Also:   BCP 198

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-cidr-prefix-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7608

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7608

IPv6 prefix length, as in IPv4, is a parameter conveyed and used in
IPv6 routing and forwarding processes in accordance with the
Classless Inter-domain Routing (CIDR) architecture.  The length of an
IPv6 prefix may be any number from zero to 128, although subnets
using stateless address autoconfiguration (SLAAC) for address
allocation conventionally use a /64 prefix.  Hardware and software
implementations of routing and forwarding should therefore impose no
rules on prefix length, but implement longest-match-first on prefixes
of any valid length.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC