Subject: Protocol Action: 'JSON Web Key (JWK) Thumbprint' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-jose-jwk-thumbprint-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:30:30 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'JSON Web Key (JWK) Thumbprint'
  (draft-ietf-jose-jwk-thumbprint-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Javascript Object Signing and
Encryption Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jose-jwk-thumbprint/

Technical Summary

This document defines a method for computing a hash value over a JSON Web Key 
structure.  The document describes what the subset of fields in a key to be used are, 
the method of creating a canonical form for those fields, and how to convert the 
resulting UNICODE string into a byte sequence appropriate for hashing.

Working Group Summary

The document has clear working group consensus for publication, and has been 
reviewed by several WG participants since its initial adoption as a working group 
item. There was some discussion over the form and content of the string to be 
hashed.  Some people advocated for the use of the current X.509 SPKI structure and 
some over use a string that was not a JSON structure.  This discussion ended without 
conclusion and thus the original proposal advanced.

Document Quality

Some in the OpenID community have implemented.
- NRI implemented as a part of Self-Issued OpenID Connect provider  http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#SelfIssued 
- Deutsche Telekom Laboratories implemented

Personnel

Karen O'Donoghue is acting as the Document Shepherd.  Kathleen Moriarty is the 
Responsible Area Director. 

IANA Note

  This draft adds instructions for Designated experts to the process for additions to the following existing registries:
   o  JSON Web Key Types
   o  JSON Web Key Elliptic Curve
   o  JSON Web Key Parameters