Subject: Protocol Action: 'STUN Usage for Consent Freshness' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-rtcweb-stun-consent-freshness-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:47:30 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'STUN Usage for Consent Freshness'
  (draft-ietf-rtcweb-stun-consent-freshness-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Real-Time Communication in
WEB-browsers Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtcweb-stun-consent-freshness/

Technical Summary

   In WebRTC contexts, peers send media traffic to each other.
   To prevent attacks on peers, endpoints have to ensure the remote 
   peer is willing to receive traffic.  This is performed both when the
   session is first established to the remote peer and periodically 
    for the duration of the session.  This document defines a method
    for confirming consent using a new STUN usage.

Working Group Summary

One of the consistent issues within the WebRTC ecosystem is
the extent to which requirements from deployed systems impact
the working of the protocol.  In this context, discussion of how
ICE-lite entities should behave consumed a good bit of time, but
I believe that the document represents the WG's general understanding.

After a set of external reviews by directorates the documented was
updated and a new working group last call issued.  No new issues
were identified during the final working group last call.

Document Quality

The document was reviewed by a number of implementors
and implementations are planned or under way.    This document did
not require expert review of the type mentioned above, but Christer
Holmberg's review is called out in the document for its thoroughness.

Personnel

Ted Hardie is the Document Shepherd; Alissa Cooper is the
Responsible Area Director.