Subject: RFC 7625 on Architecture of an IP/MPLS Network with Hardened Pipes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:35:25 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7625

        Title:      Architecture of an IP/MPLS Network 
                    with Hardened Pipes 
        Author:     J. T. Hao, P. Maheshwari,
                    R. Huang, L. Andersson, M. Chen
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       August 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 30486
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-hao-mpls-ip-hard-pipe-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7625

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7625

This document describes an IP/MPLS network that has an infrastructure
that can be separated into two or more strata.  For the
implementation described in this document, the infrastructure has
been separated into two strata: one for the "Hard Pipes", called the
"Hard Pipe Stratum", and one for the normal IP/MPLS traffic, called
the "Normal IP/MPLS Stratum".

This document introduces the concept of a Hard Pipe -- an MPLS Label
Switched Path (LSP) or a pseudowire (PW) with a bandwidth that is
guaranteed and can neither be exceeded nor infringed upon.

The Hard Pipe stratum does not use statistical multiplexing; for the
LSPs and PWs set up within this stratum, the bandwidth is guaranteed
end to end.

The document does not specify any new protocol or procedures.  It
does explain how the MPLS standards implementation has been deployed
and operated to meet the requirements from operators that offer
traditional Virtual Leased Line (VLL) services.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC