Subject: Document Action: 'ISSU Benchmarking Methodology' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bmwg-issu-meth-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 09:30:21 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'ISSU Benchmarking Methodology'
  (draft-ietf-bmwg-issu-meth-02.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-issu-meth/

Technical Summary

Many networking functions require operating software maintenance
during their useful life, and some require update on a frequent-enough
basis that there may be an operational challenge to keep sufficient
service capacity on-line due to the need to schedule upgrades during
quiet periods.  In response, network function developers have devised ways
minimize the operational impact of upgrades.  The methodology of this memo
assesses the affect of a software update on dataplane traffic.  

Working Group Summary

Since this proposed the assessment of an operational characteristic
rather than measuring the usual benchmarking dimensions (how big? how many?),
there was considerable discussion to frame the problem so that 
BMWG could adopt the work and relate it to existing methods.
Once the scope and purpose were clear, inclusion in re-chartering,
adoption and consensus followed very smoothly. The BMWG believes
this draft serves a useful purpose for the industry.

Document Quality

Some of the major manufacturers whose products will be measured are
represented among the co-authors, and among those who supported the 
draft through review.

Personnel

Al Morton is Shepherd, 
Joel Jaeggli is Responsible AD.