Subject: RFC 7618 on Dynamic Allocation of Shared IPv4 Addresses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 17:27:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7618

        Title:      Dynamic Allocation of Shared IPv4 
                    Addresses 
        Author:     Y. Cui, Q. Sun,
                    I. Farrer, Y. Lee,
                    Q. Sun, M. Boucadair
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 32576
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-dynamic-shared-v4allocation-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7618

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7618

This memo describes the dynamic allocation of shared IPv4 addresses
to clients using DHCPv4.  Address sharing allows a single IPv4
address to be allocated to multiple active clients simultaneously,
with each client being differentiated by a unique set of transport-
layer source port numbers.  The necessary changes to existing DHCPv4
client and server behavior are described, and a new DHCPv4 option for
provisioning clients with shared IPv4 addresses is included.

Due to the nature of IP address sharing, some limitations to its
applicability are necessary.  This memo describes these limitations
and recommends suitable architectures and technologies where address
sharing may be utilized.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC