Subject: RFC 7614 on Explicit Subscriptions for the REFER Method

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7614

        Title:      Explicit Subscriptions for the REFER Method 
        Author:     R. Sparks
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 32358
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipcore-refer-explicit-subscription-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7614

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7614

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) REFER request, as defined by
RFC 3515, triggers an implicit SIP-Specific Event Notification
framework subscription.  Conflating the start of the subscription
with handling the REFER request makes negotiating SUBSCRIBE
extensions impossible and complicates avoiding SIP dialog sharing.
This document defines extensions to REFER that remove the implicit
subscription and, if desired, replace it with an explicit one.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC