Subject: RFC 7606 on Revised Error Handling for BGP UPDATE Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:48:41 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7606

        Title:      Revised Error Handling for BGP UPDATE Messages 
        Author:     E. Chen, Ed.,
                    J. Scudder, Ed.,
                    P. Mohapatra,
                    K. Patel
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 42141
        Updates:    RFC 1997, RFC 4271, RFC 4360, RFC 4456, 
                    RFC 4760, RFC 5543, RFC 5701, RFC 6368

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-19.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7606

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7606

According to the base BGP specification, a BGP speaker that receives
an UPDATE message containing a malformed attribute is required to
reset the session over which the offending attribute was received.
This behavior is undesirable because a session reset would impact not
only routes with the offending attribute but also other valid routes
exchanged over the session.  This document partially revises the
error handling for UPDATE messages and provides guidelines for the
authors of documents defining new attributes.  Finally, it revises
the error handling procedures for a number of existing attributes.

This document updates error handling for RFCs 1997, 4271, 4360, 4456,
4760, 5543, 5701, and 6368.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC