Subject: RFC 7560 on Problem Statement and Requirements for Increased Accuracy in Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Feedback

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 19:53:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7560

        Title:      Problem Statement and Requirements for 
                    Increased Accuracy in Explicit Congestion Notification 
                    (ECN) Feedback 
        Author:     M. Kuehlewind, Ed., R. Scheffenegger, B. Briscoe
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 40528
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-accecn-reqs-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7560

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7560

Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) is a mechanism where network
nodes can mark IP packets, instead of dropping them, to indicate
congestion to the endpoints.  An ECN-capable receiver will feed this
information back to the sender.  ECN is specified for TCP in such a
way that it can only feed back one congestion signal per Round-Trip
Time (RTT).  In contrast, ECN for other transport protocols, such as
RTP/UDP and SCTP, is specified with more accurate ECN feedback.
Recent new TCP mechanisms (like Congestion Exposure (ConEx) or Data
Center TCP (DCTCP)) need more accurate ECN feedback in the case where
more than one marking is received in one RTT.  This document
specifies requirements for an update to the TCP protocol to provide
more accurate ECN feedback.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC