Subject: BCP 165, RFC 7605 on Recommendations on Using Assigned Transport Port Numbers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 11:09:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 165        
        RFC 7605

        Title:      Recommendations on Using Assigned Transport 
                    Port Numbers 
        Author:     J. Touch
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 58012
        See Also:   BCP 165

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7605

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7605

This document provides recommendations to designers of application and
service protocols on how to use the transport protocol port number
space and when to request a port assignment from IANA.  It provides 
designer guidance to requesters or users of port numbers on how to 
interact with IANA using the processes defined in RFC 6335; thus, this 
document complements (but does not update) that document.  It provides 
guidelines for designers regarding how to interact with the IANA processes 
defined in RFC 6335, thus serving to complement (but not update) that 
document.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC