Subject: Protocol Action: 'The .onion Special-Use Domain Name' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-01.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 07:11:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The .onion Special-Use Domain Name'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-01.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld/

Technical Summary

This document uses the Special-Use Domain Names registry to register the
'.onion' Top Level Domain (TLD) for the Tor Network. This will allow hosts on
the ToR network to apply for and receive legitimate SSL Certificates. 

Working Group Summary

During the Working Group process, there was contention from several parties
who were unaware that the charter of DNSOP was updated to reflect issues
surrounding [RFC6761].  Once that was cleared up, there was several
discussions that no addition to the Special-Use Domain Name registry could
happen until an overhaul of [RFC6751] occurred. In the case of this draft,
it was decided to move forward with the current conditions.

Document Quality

The draft is a few pages long, long enough to create a registration template
for '.onion' to be added to the Special-Use Registry. The Document Quality is
quite reasonable.  Several Experts in the area of DNS and Domain Names
reviewed the document and found it suitable to move forward. 

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Tim Wicinski. 
The Responsible Area Director is Joel Jaggeli.