Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ospf-rfc4970bis-04.txt> (Extensions to OSPF for Advertising Optional Router Capabilities) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:40:52 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Open Shortest Path First IGP WG
(ospf) to consider the following document:
- 'Extensions to OSPF for Advertising Optional Router Capabilities'
  <draft-ietf-ospf-rfc4970bis-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-10-08. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   It is useful for routers in an OSPFv2 or OSPFv3 routing domain to
   know the capabilities of their neighbors and other routers in the
   routing domain.  This document proposes extensions to OSPFv2 and
   OSPFv3 for advertising optional router capabilities.  The Router
   Information (RI) Link State Advertisement (LSA) is defined for this
   purpose.  In OSPFv2, the RI LSA will be implemented with an opaque
   LSA type ID.  In OSPFv3, the RI LSA will be implemented with a unique
   LSA type function code.  In both protocols, the RI LSA can be
   advertised at any of the defined flooding scopes (link, area, or
   autonomous system (AS)).  This document obsoletes RFC 4970 by
   providing a revised specification including support for advertisement
   of multiple instances of the RI LSA and a TLV for functional
   capabilities.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-rfc4970bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-rfc4970bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.