Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-siit-dc-02.txt> (SIIT-DC: Stateless IP/ICMP Translation for IPv6 Data Centre Environments) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 06:06:16 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document:
- 'SIIT-DC: Stateless IP/ICMP Translation for IPv6 Data Centre
   Environments'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-siit-dc-02.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-09-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the use of the Stateless IP/ICMP Translation
   (SIIT) algorithm in an IPv6 Internet Data Centre (IDC).  In this
   deployment model, traffic from legacy IPv4-only clients on the
   Internet is translated to IPv6 upon reaching the IDC operator's
   network infrastructure.  From that point on, it may be treated the
   same as traffic from native IPv6 end users.  The IPv6 endpoints may
   be numbered using arbitrary (non-IPv4-translatable) IPv6 addresses.
   This facilitates a single-stack IPv6-only network infrastructure, as
   well as efficient utilisation of public IPv4 addresses.

   The primary audience is IDC operators who are deploying IPv6, running
   out of available IPv4 addresses, and/or feel that dual stack causes
   undesirable operational complexity.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-siit-dc/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-siit-dc/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.