Subject: Protocol Action: 'Guidelines for Cryptographic Algorithm Agility and Selecting Mandatory-to-Implement Algorithms' to Best Current Practice (draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 06:30:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Guidelines for Cryptographic Algorithm Agility and Selecting
   Mandatory-to-Implement Algorithms'
  (draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility-08.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility/

Technical Summary

   Many IETF protocols use cryptographic algorithms to provide
   confidentiality, integrity, authentication or digital signature.
   Communicating peers must support a common set of cryptographic
   algorithms for these mechanisms to work properly.  This memo
   provides guidelines to ensure that protocols can easily migrate
   from one algorithm suite to another one over time.

Working Group Summary

   This document was not produced by any IETF WG.  It was started
   by the IAB, was then presented at saag (some time back) where
   people wanted it to be an IETF stream RFC. After that it was
   extensively discussed on the SAAG mail list.

   There are a few comments [12,3] that got sent only to the 
   saag list that have yet to be checked, the author will
   handle those and may issue another revision. Any diff is
   expected to be minor.

   [1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/saag/current/msg06373.html
   [2] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/saag/current/msg06381.html
   [3] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/saag/current/msg06438.html

Document Quality

   This document has been extensively discussed on the SAAG mail list
   as well as in the IAB program on privacy and security. It represents the 
   rough consensus from those discussions.

Personnel

  The document shepherd is Ted Hardie, irresponsible AD is Stephen Farrell.