Subject: Protocol Action: 'Global Table Multicast with BGP-MVPN Procedures' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-global-table-mcast-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:22:56 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Global Table Multicast with BGP-MVPN Procedures'
  (draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-global-table-mcast-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-global-table-mcast/

Technical Summary

   RFC6513, RFC6514, and other RFCs describe protocols and procedures
   which a Service Provider (SP) may deploy in order offer Multicast
   Virtual Private Network (Multicast VPN or MVPN) service to its
   customers.  Some of these procedures use BGP to distribute VPN-
   specific multicast routing information across a backbone network.
   With a small number of relatively minor modifications, the very same
   BGP procedures can also be used to distribute multicast routing
   information that is not specific to any VPN.  Multicast that is
   outside the context of a VPN is known as "Global Table Multicast", or
   sometimes simply as "Internet multicast".  In this document, we
   describe the modifications that are needed to use the MVPN BGP
   procedures for Global Table Multicast.

Working Group Summary

Nothing particular: working-group adoption and WGLC without any opposition raised.

Document Quality

   The document is of good technical quality.

   There are two known implementations,  and one operator has provided 
   information on an actual deployment giving satisfying results.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd is Thomas Morin.
   Responsible AD is Alvaro Retana.