Subject: WG Review: Deterministic Networking (detnet)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 07:51:01 -0700

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Routing Area. The IESG
has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2015-09-28.

Deterministic Networking (detnet)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Assigned Area Director:
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/detnet
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/detnet/

Charter:

The Deterministic Networking (DetNet) Working Group focuses on
deterministic data paths that operate over Layer 2 bridged and Layer 3
routed segments, where such paths can provide bounds on latency, loss,
and packet delay variation (jitter), and high reliability. The Working
Group addresses Layer 3 aspects in support of applications requiring
deterministic networking. The Working Group collaborates with IEEE802.1
Time Sensitive Networking (TSN), which is responsible for Layer 2
operations, to define a common architecture for both Layer 2 and Layer
3. Example applications for deterministic networks include professional
and home audio/video, multimedia in transportation, engine control
systems, and other general industrial and vehicular applications being
consider by the IEEE 802.1 TSN Task Group.

The Working Group will initially focus on solutions for networks that
are under a single administrative control or within a closed group of
administrative control; these include not only campus-wide networks but
also can include private WANs. The DetNet WG will not spend energy on
solutions for large groups of domains such as the Internet.

The Working Group will specify an overall architecture that encompasses
the data plane, OAM (Operations, Administration, and Maintenance), time
synchronization, management, control, and security aspects which are
required to enable a multi-hop path, and forwarding along the path, with
the deterministic properties of controlled latency, low packet loss, low
packet delay variation, and high reliability. The work applies to
point-to-point (unicast) and point-to-multipoint (multicast) flows which
can be characterized in a manner that allows the network to 1) reserve
the appropriate resources for the flows in advance, and 2) release/reuse
the resources when they are no longer required. The work covers the
characterization of flows, the encapsulation of frames, the required
forwarding behaviors, as well as the state that may need to be
established in intermediate nodes. Candidate Layer 3 data plane
technologies that may be used, without modification, include: IP and
MPLS.

The working group will document which deployment environments and types
of topologies are within (or outside) the scope of the DetNet
architecture. This work focuses on the data plane aspects and is
independent from any path setup protocol or mechanism. The data plane
will be compatible with the work done in IEEE802.1 TSN.

The Working Group's scope explicitly excludes modifications of transport
protocols, OAM, Layer 3 forwarding, encapsulations, and control plane
protocols.

DetNet is chartered to work in the following areas:

    Overall architecture: This work encompasses the data plane, OAM,
    time synchronization, management, control, and security aspects. 

    Data plane: This work will document how to use IP and/or MPLS to
    support a data plane method of flow identification and packet
    forwarding over Layer 3. 

    Data flow information model: This work will identify the information
    needed for flow establishment and control and be used by a
    reservation protocol or by YANG data models. The work will be
    independent from the protocol(s) used to control the flows
    (e.g. YANG+NETCONF/RESTCONF, PCEP or GMPLS). 

    Identification of additional YANG models: This work will document
    device and link capabilities (feature support) and resources
    (e.g. buffers, bandwidth) for use in device configuration and status
    reporting. Such information may also be used when advertising the
    deterministic network elements to a control plane. Control plane
    related information will be independent from the protocol(s) which
    may be used to advertise this information (e.g. IS-IS or GMPLS
    extensions). Any new YANG models will be coordinated with the
    Working Groups that define any augmented base models. 

    As needed, problem statement: This effort will establish the
    deployment environment and deterministic network requirements. 

    As needed, vertical requirements: This effort will detail the
    requirements for deterministic networks in various industries, for
    example, professional audio, electrical utilities, building
    automation systems, wireless for industrial applications. 

    To investigate whether existing data plane encryption mechanisms can
    be applied, possibly opportunistically, to improve security and
    privacy. 

The WG coordinates with other relevant IETF Working Groups, including
CCAMP, PCE, PALS, TEAS, OSPF, IS-IS, TSVWG, and 6TisSCH. As the work
progresses, requirements may be provided to the responsible Working
Group, e.g. PCE, TEAS, and CCAMP, with DetNet acting as a focal point to
maintain the consistency of the overall architecture. The WG will liaise
with appropriate groups in IEEE and other Standards Development
Organizations (SDOs).

WG deliverables include:

    As standard track or informational RFCs

    Overall architecture
    Data plane specification
    Data flow information model
    YANG model augmentations

WG sustaining/informational documents may include:

    These documents may not necessarily be published, but may be
    maintained in a draft form or on a collaborative Working Group wiki
    to support the efforts of the Working Group and help new comers:

    Problem statement and (constrained) deployment environments
    User-driven use cases

Milestones: