Subject: Protocol Action: 'S-PE Protection for MPLS and MPLS-TP Static Multi-Segment Pseudowires' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pals-ms-pw-protection-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 09:43:40 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'S-PE Protection for MPLS and MPLS-TP Static Multi-Segment Pseudowires'
  (draft-ietf-pals-ms-pw-protection-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-ms-pw-protection/

Technical Summary

   In MPLS and MPLS-TP environments, statically provisioned Single-
   Segment Pseudowires (SS-PWs) are protected against tunnel failure via
   MPLS-level and MPLS-TP-level tunnel protection.  With statically
   provisioned Multi-Segment Pseudowires (MS-PWs), each segment of the
   MS-PW is likewise protected from tunnel failures via MPLS-level and
   MPLS-TP-level tunnel protection.  However, static MS-PWs are not
   protected end-to-end against failure of one of the switching PEs
   (S-PEs) along the path of the MS-PW.  This document describes how to
   achieve this protection via redundant MS-PWs by updating the existing
   procedures in RFC 6870.  It also contains an optional approach based
   on MPLS-TP Linear Protection.

Working Group Summary

   The was nothing of note in the WG process. 

Document Quality

  A number of operators and vendors have expressed interest in this
  draft.

Personnel

  Stewart Bryant is the Document Shepherd.
  Deborah Brungard is the Responsible Area Director.