Subject: Protocol Action: 'Clarifications to RFC 5884' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bfd-rfc5884-clarifications-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:17:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Clarifications to RFC 5884'
  (draft-ietf-bfd-rfc5884-clarifications-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-rfc5884-clarifications/

Technical Summary

   This document clarifies the procedures for establishing, maintaining
   and removing multiple, concurrent BFD sessions for a given <MPLS LSP,
   FEC> described in RFC5884.

Working Group Summary

  This document received good discussion among key contributors
  in the BFD Working Group.  Nothing controversial was discussed, the
  clarifications are considered sound practice.

Document Quality

   RFC 5884 is implemented by a number of vendors that support MPLS and BFD
   to verify those MPLS LSPs.  This clarifications document was motivated
   by some ambiguities in that RFC which were noted as implementors were
   attempting to implement some of the edge cases.  Implementations are
   expected to pick up the changes in this document soon if they are not
   otherwise implemented already.

   This document does not impact backward compatibility.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Jeffrey Haas, co-chair BFD.
Responsible Area Director: Alvaro Retana.