Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer-03.txt> (UDP Checksum Complement in OWAMP and TWAMP) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:57:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IP Performance Metrics WG (ippm)
to consider the following document:
- 'UDP Checksum Complement in OWAMP and TWAMP'
  <draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer-03.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-10-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The One-Way Active Measurement Protocol (OWAMP) and the Two-Way
   Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) are used for performance
   monitoring in IP networks. Delay measurement is performed in these
   protocols by using timestamped test packets. Some implementations use
   hardware-based timestamping engines that integrate the accurate
   transmission timestamp into every outgoing OWAMP/TWAMP test packet
   during transmission.  Since these packets are transported over UDP,
   the UDP checksum field is then updated to reflect this modification.
   This document proposes to use the last 2 octets of every test packet
   as a Checksum Complement, allowing timestamping engines to reflect
   the checksum modification in the last 2 octets rather than in the UDP
   checksum field. The behavior defined in this document is completely
   interoperable with existing OWAMP/TWAMP implementations.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2370/