Subject: RFC 7633 on X.509v3 Transport Layer Security (TLS) Feature Extension

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:50:06 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7633

        Title:      X.509v3 Transport Layer Security (TLS) 
                    Feature Extension 
        Author:     P. Hallam-Baker
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 21839
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-hallambaker-tlsfeature-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7633

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7633

The purpose of the TLS feature extension is to prevent downgrade
attacks that are not otherwise prevented by the TLS protocol.  In
particular, the TLS feature extension may be used to mandate support
for revocation checking features in the TLS protocol such as Online
Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) stapling.  Informing clients that
an OCSP status response will always be stapled permits an immediate
failure in the case that the response is not stapled.  This in turn
prevents a denial-of-service attack that might otherwise be possible.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC