Subject: Document Action: 'Close encounters of the ICMP type 2 kind (near misses with ICMPv6 PTB)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-pmtud-ecmp-problem-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 08:38:35 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Close encounters of the ICMP type 2 kind (near misses with ICMPv6
PTB)'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-pmtud-ecmp-problem-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-pmtud-ecmp-problem/

Technical Summary

   This document calls attention to the problem of delivering ICMPv6
   type 2 "Packet Too Big" (PTB) messages to the intended destination
   in ECMP load balanced or anycast network architectures.  It
   discusses operational mitigations that can be employed to address
   this class of failures.

Working Group Summary

  The draft has been accepted with enthusiasm.

Document Quality

   This is not a protocol. The operational mitigations proposed have
  been implemented in various places, but are not uniformly
  implemented.

Personnel

     The Document Shepherd is Fred Baker. The Responsible 
     Area Director is Benoit Claise.