Subject: RFC 7663 on Report from the IAB Workshop on Stack Evolution in a Middlebox Internet (SEMI)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:15:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7663

        Title:      Report from the IAB Workshop on
                    Stack Evolution in a Middlebox Internet (SEMI) 
        Author:     B. Trammell, Ed.,
                    M. Kuehlewind, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       October 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30588
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-semi-report-01.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7663

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7663

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) through its IP Stack Evolution
program, the Internet Society, and the Swiss Federal Institute of
Technology (ETH) Zurich hosted the Stack Evolution in a Middlebox
Internet (SEMI) workshop in Zurich on 26-27 January 2015 to explore
the ability to evolve the transport layer in the presence of
middlebox- and interface-related ossification of the stack.  The goal
of the workshop was to produce architectural and engineering guidance
on future work to break the logjam, focusing on incrementally
deployable approaches with clear incentives to deployment both on the
endpoints (in new transport layers and applications) as well as on
middleboxes (run by network operators).  This document summarizes the
contributions to the workshop and provides an overview of the discussion
at the workshop, as well as the outcomes and next steps identified by
the workshop.  The views and positions documented in this report are
those of the workshop participants and do not necessarily reflect IAB
views and positions.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC