Subject: RFC 7660 on Diameter Congestion and Filter Attributes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 14:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7660

        Title:      Diameter Congestion and Filter Attributes 
        Author:     L. Bertz,
                    S. Manning,
                    B. Hirschman
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 18830
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7660

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7660

This document defines optional Diameter attributes that can be used
to help manage networks that use Explicit Congestion Notification
(ECN) or Diameter traffic filters.  These new attributes allow for
improved data traffic identification, support of ECN, and minimal
Diameter filter administration.

RFC 5777 defines a Filter-Rule Attribute Value Pair (AVP) that
accommodates extensions for classification, conditions, and actions.
It, however, does not support traffic identification for packets using
Explicit Congestion Notification as defined in RFC 3168 and does not
provide specific actions when the flow(s) described by the
Filter-Rule are congested.

Further, a Filter-Rule can describe multiple flows but not the exact
number of flows.  Flow count and other associated data (e.g., packets)
are not captured by accounting applications, leaving administrators
without useful information regarding the effectiveness or
appropriateness of the filter definition.

The optional attributes defined in this document are forward and
backwards compatible with RFC 5777.

This document is a product of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC