Subject: Protocol Action: 'IETF ForCES Logical Function Block (LFB) Subsidiary Management' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-forces-lfb-subsidiary-management-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:11:35 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IETF ForCES Logical Function Block (LFB) Subsidiary Management'
  (draft-ietf-forces-lfb-subsidiary-management-02.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-forces-lfb-subsidiary-management/

Technical Summary

Deployment experience has demonstrated the value of using the
   Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES) architecture to
   manage resources other than packet forwarding.  In that spirit, the
   Forwarding Element Manager (FEM) is modelled by creating a Logical
   Functional Block (LFB) to represent its functionality.  We refer to
   this LFB as the Subsidiary Mechanism (SM) LFB.  A Control Element
   (CE) that controls a Forwarding Element's (FE) resources can also
   manage its configuration via the SM LFB.  This document introduces
   the SM LFB, an LFB that specifies the configuration parameters of an
   FE.

Working Group Summary

The document shepherd has reviewed this document several times 
during its evolution.  The working group reviewed and briefly discussed 
the document in July on 2014, and adopted the document without dissent 
in February of 2015.  Informal discussion indicated agreement that the 
particular problem beign addressed was useful, and that the approach was 
consistent with the overall ForCES work.

This draft was left to complete its processing when the FORCES working 
group was closed.

Document Quality

This document was originally developed in the ForCES working group.  It 
was reviewed in that group, and has been reviewed by the shepherd after 
the closing of the working group.

Personnel

Joel Halpern acting as document shepherd.  Alia Atlas is the Area Director