Subject: Document Action: 'Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers by Running One on Loopback' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 16:03:46 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers by Running One on Loopback'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback/

Technical Summary

   Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round trip
   times to the closest DNS root server.  Some DNS recursive resolver
   operators want to prevent snooping of requests sent to DNS root
   servers by third parties.  Such resolvers can greatly decrease the
   round trip time and prevent observation of requests by running a copy
   of the full root zone on a loopback address (such as 127.0.0.1).
   This document shows how to start and maintain such a copy of the root
   zone that does not pose a threat to other users of the DNS, at the
   cost of adding some operational fragility for the operator.

Working Group Summary

This document came out of several different proposals involving
improving the redundancy of the DNS Root Zone.  The document was the
one which the Working Group was able to gather consensus.  The
discussion behind this was engaging as several felt the trade off of
local copies for speed increased operational fragility.  This document
was not written to become a Best Practice or an Internet Standard, but
as an Informational document to explain how operators currently manage
such tasks.

Document Quality

Note, 

There is an IPR disclosure related to this document.  The Authors have
already been aware of this IPR disclosure, and no of no other IPR
disclosure related to this document.  The opinion of the working group
is that the IPR party implies a willingness to commit to not requiring
any licenses or royalties.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Tim Wicinski.  The Responsible Area Director
is Joel Jaggeli.