Subject: WG Action: Formed Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ice)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 10:16:14 -0700

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Applications and
Real-Time Area. For additional information please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ice)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Ari Keranen <[email-masked]>
  Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ice
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ice/

Charter:

Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) is at the same time a NAT
traversal technique, a multihomed address selection technique, and a dual
stack address selection technique that works by including multiple IP
addresses and ports in both the request and response messages of a
connectivity establishment transaction. It makes no assumptions regarding
network topology on the local or remote side.

Interactive Connectivity Establishment was published as RFC 5245 in April
2010. Until recently the protocol had seen rather limited deployment.
This situation has changed drastically as ICE is mandatory to implement
in WebRTC, a set of technologies developed at the IETF and W3C to
standardize Real Time Communication on the Web. ICE was originally
defined for the Offer-Answer (RFC 3264) protocol used by SIP (RFC 3261).
Later XMPP (XEP-0176), RTSP (draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-nat), RTCWeb
(draft-ietf-rtcweb-jsep) and other realtime media establishment protocols
have used the protocol. ICE is also used by non-realtime media protocols,
like HIP (RFC 5770) and RELOAD (RFC 6940).

The goal of the ICE Working Group is to consolidate the various
initiatives to update and improve ICE, and to help ensure suitability and
consistency in the environments ICE operates in. Current work in this
area includes an updated version of the ICE RFC (ICEbis), Trickle ICE and
dualstack/multihomed fairness. This work will make ICE more flexible,
robust and more suitable for changing mobile environments without major
changes to the original ICE RFC. The ICE workgroup will consider new work
items that follow this pattern.  The core ICE work will offer guidance to
help minimize the unintentional exposure of IP addresses.

ICE is an application controlled protocol that leverages a set of network
defined protocols. The STUN (RFC 5389), TURN (RFC 5766) and related
protocol work done in the TRAM working group must be closely synchronized
with the work in this working group. To avoid interoperability issues and
unwanted behavior it is desired to increase the interaction with other
working groups dealing with network protocols closer to the wire. Example
of such work may be, but not limited to: issues regarding multi-homing,
multi subnet and prefixes, QoS, transport selection and congestion
control. From the application side, the users of ICE, there is a need to
make sure what is specified is actually usable. Getting input from the
application working groups will be helpful (RTCWEB, HIP, MMUSIC, P2PSIP).

Milestones:
  Jan 2016 - Submit Trickle ICE as Proposed Standard 
(draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice-sip remains in MMUSIC)
  Jan 2016 - Submit Dual-stack Fairness with ICE as Proposed Standard 
  Apr 2016 - Submit a revision of ICE (RFC 5245) as Proposed Standard 
(draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-sip-sdp remains in MMUSIC)