Subject: WG Action: Formed Geographic JSON (geojson)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 09:35:48 -0700

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Applications and
Real-Time Area. For additional information please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Geographic JSON (geojson)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
  Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geojson
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=geojson

Charter:

GeoJSON is a format for encoding data about geographic features using
JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) [RFC7159]. Geographic features need not
be physical things; any thing with properties that are bounded in space
may be considered a feature. GeoJSON provides a means of representing
both the properties and spatial extent of features.

The GeoJSON format specification was published at http://geojson.org in
2008. GeoJSON today plays an important and growing role in many spatial
databases, web APIs, and open data platforms. Consequently the
implementers increasingly demand formal standardization, improvements in
the specification, guidance on extensibility, and the means to utilize
larger GeoJSON datasets.

This WG will work on a GeoJSON Format RFC that specifies the format more
precisely, serves as a better guide for implementers, and improves
extensibility of the format. The work will start from an Internet-Draft
written by the original GeoJSON authors: draft-butler-geojson [1].

This WG will work on GeoJSON mappings of 'geo' URIs, reinforcing the use
of RFC 5870.

This WG will work on a format for a streamable sequence of GeoJSON texts
based on RFC 7464 (JSON Text Sequences) to address the difficulties in
serializing very large sequences of features or feature sequences of
indeterminate length.

GeoJSON objects represent geographic features only and do not specify
associations between geographic features and particular devices, users,
or facilities. Any association with a particular device, user, or
facility requires another protocol. When a GeoJSON object is used in a
context where it identifies the location of a device, user, or facility,
it becomes subject to the architectural, security, and privacy
considerations in RFC 6280, An Architecture for Location and Location
Privacy in Internet Applications. The application of those considerations
is specific to protocols that make use of GeoJSON objects and is out of
scope for the GeoJSON WG. Although the WG is chartered to improve the
extensibility of the format, extensions that would allow GeoJSON objects
to specify associations between geographic features and particular
devices, users, or facilities are not expected to be defined in the WG.
Should that be needed, re-chartering will be required.

Deliverables:

* A GeoJSON format specification document including mappings of 'geo'
URIs 
* A document describing a format for a streamable sequence of GeoJSON
texts

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-butler-geojson

Milestones: