Subject: RFC 7698 on Framework and Requirements for GMPLS-Based Control of Flexi-Grid Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:59:59 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7698

        Title:      Framework and Requirements for GMPLS-Based 
                    Control of Flexi-Grid Dense Wavelength Division 
                    Multiplexing (DWDM) Networks 
        Author:     O. Gonzalez de Dios, Ed.,
                    R. Casellas, Ed.,
                    F. Zhang, X. Fu,
                    D. Ceccarelli, 
                    I. Hussain
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      42
        Characters: 89787
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-flexi-grid-fwk-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7698

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7698

To allow efficient allocation of optical spectral bandwidth for
systems that have high bit-rates, the International Telecommunication
Union Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T) has extended
its Recommendations G.694.1 and G.872 to include a new Dense
Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) grid by defining a set of
nominal central frequencies, channel spacings, and the concept of the
"frequency slot".  In such an environment, a data-plane connection is
switched based on allocated, variable-sized frequency ranges within
the optical spectrum, creating what is known as a flexible grid
(flexi-grid).

Given the specific characteristics of flexi-grid optical networks and
their associated technology, this document defines a framework and
the associated control-plane requirements for the application of the
existing GMPLS architecture and control-plane protocols to the
control of flexi-grid DWDM networks.  The actual extensions to the
GMPLS protocols will be defined in companion documents.

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC