Subject: BCP 201, RFC 7696 on Guidelines for Cryptographic Algorithm Agility and Selecting Mandatory-to-Implement Algorithms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 17:12:48 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 201        
        RFC 7696

        Title:      Guidelines for Cryptographic Algorithm Agility 
                    and Selecting Mandatory-to-Implement Algorithms 
        Author:     R. Housley
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 50543
        See Also:   BCP 201

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7696

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7696

Many IETF protocols use cryptographic algorithms to provide  
confidentiality, integrity, authentication, or digital signature.  
Communicating peers must support a common set of cryptographic algorithms 
for these mechanisms to work properly.  This memo provides guidelines to 
ensure that protocols have the ability to migrate from one mandatory-
to-implement algorithm suite to another over time.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC