Subject: Protocol Action: 'TRILL Active-Active Edge Using Multiple MAC Attachments' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 23:30:36 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL Active-Active Edge Using Multiple MAC Attachments'
  (draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach/

Technical Summary

TRILL active-active service provides end stations with flow level
   load balance and resilience against link failures at the edge of
   TRILL campuses as described in RFC 7379.

   This draft specifies a method by which member RBridges in an
   active-active edge RBridge group use their own nicknames as the
   ingress RBridge nickname to encapsulate frames from attached end
   systems.  Thus, remote edge RBridges are required to keep multiple
   point of attachment for one MAC address within a Data Label.

Working Group Summary

    Although early discussion in the TRILL WG favored a pseudo-node
   nickname approach similar to that in draft-ietf-trill-pseudonode-
   nickname, later analysis resulting in the alternatives described in
   the Introduction of this document. Two alternatives, which can be
   deployed simultaneously in a TRILL campus, are being advanced by
   the WG, the other using a pseudo-nickname in draft-ietf-trill-
   pseudonode-nickname.

   There was good WG support for this draft in WG LC (2/11-2/25)

Document Quality

   The document is well written.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Donald E. Eastlake, 3rd
   Responsible Area Director: Alia Atlas
   WG chairs: Susan Hares, Jon Hudson