Subject: Protocol Action: 'Reducing energy consumption of Router Advertisements' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-v6ops-reducing-ra-energy-consumption-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:55:08 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Reducing energy consumption of Router Advertisements'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-reducing-ra-energy-consumption-03.txt) as Best
Current Practice

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-reducing-ra-energy-consumption/

Technical Summary

   Frequent Router Advertisement messages can severely impact host
   power consumption.  This document recommends operational practices
   to avoid such impact.

Working Group Summary

   The concept was originally proposed for IETF 93, and quickly
   finalized.  The concept is itself pretty simple; every message
   sent or received by a wireless interface consumes power. Various
   measurements suggest that IPv6 networks can be unnecessarily
   chatty, and specifically WiFi and mobile wireless such as LTE
   suffer from that. This note makes pactical suggestions based on
   operational experience regarding configuration of such.

Document Quality

  This is not a protocol. Multiple respondents have indicated that
  it gives useful operational guidance. No negative feedback was
  given.

Personnel

  Fred Baker is the Document Shepherd.
  Joel Jaeggli is the AD.