Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4582bis-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:50:41 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP)'
  (draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4582bis-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Binary Floor Control Protocol Bis 
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4582bis/

        Technical Summary:  

This document specifies the Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP).
BFCP is used between floor participants and floor control servers,
and between floor chairs (i.e., moderators) and floor control
servers.  Floor control is a means to manage joint or exclusive access to
shared resources in a (multiparty) conferencing environment.
Thereby, floor control complements other functions -- such as
conference and media session setup, conference policy manipulation,
and media control -- that are realized by other protocols.
This document obsoletes RFC 4582.  
 
        Working Group Summary:

This document was thoroughly reviewed by members of the BFCPBIS WG.
        
         Document Quality

There are existing implementations of RFC 4582 and this document has 
been implemented by at least one vendor.  The formation of the BFCPBIS WG
was triggered by the IMTC, who defined the use of BFCP in their SIP Best 
Current Practices for Video profile.  The vendors that had implemented BFCP
found the need to also use UDP in certain situations, thus the interested 
parties brought the proposal, along with an initial version of this draft
to the IETF (DISPATCH WG).   

         Personnel

Mary Barnes is the Document Shepherd.  Alissa Cooper is the Responsible AD.