Subject: RFC 7657 on Differentiated Services (Diffserv) and Real-Time Communication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 17:11:00 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7657

        Title:      Differentiated Services (Diffserv) and Real-Time 
                    Communication 
        Author:     D. Black, Ed.,
                    P. Jones
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 67721
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7657

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7657

This memo describes the interaction between Differentiated Services
(Diffserv) network quality-of-service (QoS) functionality and real-
time network communication, including communication based on the
Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  Diffserv is based on network
nodes applying different forwarding treatments to packets whose IP
headers are marked with different Diffserv Codepoints (DSCPs).
WebRTC applications, as well as some conferencing applications, have
begun using the Session Description Protocol (SDP) bundle negotiation
mechanism to send multiple traffic streams with different QoS
requirements using the same network 5-tuple.  The results of using
multiple DSCPs to obtain different QoS treatments within a single
network 5-tuple have transport protocol interactions, particularly
with congestion control functionality (e.g., reordering).  In
addition, DSCP markings may be changed or removed between the traffic
source and destination.  This memo covers the implications of these
Diffserv aspects for real-time network communication, including
WebRTC.

This document is a product of the DiffServ Applied to Real-time Transports Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC