Subject: Document Action: 'Time Capability in NETCONF' to Experimental RFC (draft-mm-netconf-time-capability-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 08:12:39 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Time Capability in NETCONF'
  (draft-mm-netconf-time-capability-09.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-netconf-time-capability/

Technical Summary

   This document defines a capability-based extension to the Network
   Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) that allows time-triggered
   configuration and management operations. This extension allows
   NETCONF clients to invoke configuration updates according to
   scheduled times, and allows NETCONF servers to attach timestamps to
   the data they send to NETCONF clients.

Working Group Summary

The document was proposed for consideration as a netconf working-group 
item. Ultimately it was not adopted as such. With the blessing of the the ADs
it was forwarded to the ISE, however, the requirements for allocation for the 
netconf registry required standards action. The decision was made to AD 
sponsor the draft recognizing that a number of participants in the discussion
felt that the proposed  capabilities had merit even the to proposal itself 
wasn't ready for the standards track. This required a standards action, 4 week 
last call and a number of solicited reviews in order to insure that we were not
wildly off base.

Document Quality

There were some significant variance of opinion on which 6142 operations 
are valid for timing. One vantage point is that potentially you only care about 
timing get operations. Another more common view is that with the exception
of a few which make no sense timing is applicable to most of the operations.
The proposed set hews to the later vantage point. It is possible that 
experimentation will refine the use cases more succinctly.

Personnel

Joel Jaeggli is the sponsoring AD and Shepherd.