Subject: RFC 7704 on An IETF with Much Diversity and Professional Conduct

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:53:33 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7704

        Title:      An IETF with Much Diversity 
                    and Professional Conduct 
        Author:     D. Crocker, N. Clark
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       November 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 41359
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-crocker-diversity-conduct-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7704

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7704

The process of producing today's Internet technologies through a
culture of open participation and diverse collaboration has proved
strikingly efficient and effective, and it is distinctive among
standards organizations.  During the early years of the IETF and its
antecedent, participation was almost entirely composed of a small
group of well-funded, American, white, male technicians,
demonstrating a distinctive and challenging group dynamic, both in
management and in personal interactions.  In the case of the IETF,
interaction style can often contain singularly aggressive behavior,
often including singularly hostile tone and content.  Groups with
greater diversity make better decisions.  Obtaining meaningful
diversity requires more than generic good will and statements of
principle.  Many different behaviors can serve to reduce participant
diversity or participation diversity.  This document discusses IETF
participation in terms of the nature of diversity and practical
issues that can increase or decrease it.  The document represents the
authors' assessments and recommendations, following general
discussions of the issues in the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC