Subject: Protocol Action: 'RSVP-TE Signaling Extensions in support of Flexible Grid' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ccamp-flexible-grid-rsvp-te-ext-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:08:15 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RSVP-TE Signaling Extensions in support of Flexible Grid'
  (draft-ietf-ccamp-flexible-grid-rsvp-te-ext-05.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-flexible-grid-rsvp-te-ext/

Technical Summary

The International Telecommunication Union Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T)
extended its Recommendations G.694.1 and G.872 to include a new dense wavelength division
multiplexing (DWDM) grid by defining a set of nominal central frequencies, channel spacing's
and the concept of "frequency slot".  In such an environment, a data plane connection is switched
based on allocated, variable-sized frequency ranges within the optical spectrum creating what is
known as flexi-grid.

This document reflects recommendations defined by the ITU-T and describes the requirements,
procedures and protocol extensions for RSVP-TE signaling to set up LSPs in optical networks
that support flexi-grid. The I-D using the label definition documented in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-farrkingel-ccamp-flexigrid-lambda-label.

Working Group Summary

The initial RSVP-TE signaling extensions in support of flexible grid Internet-Draft (I-D) was
published in October 2011, after numerous presentations at CCAMP working group (WG)
meetings and list discussions it has matured over several versions. Key discussion points
included:

+ Traffic Parameters
- Its correct use
+ Grid Value
- To determine how to carry the central frequency & slot width in RSVP-TE
+ Refined to make it consistent with flexible grid framework and label
extension I-Ds
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ccamp-flexi-grid-fwk
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ccamp-flexigrid-lambda-label

The issues above were discussed during IETF meetings and on the mailing list and an
acceptable (by the CCAMP WG) definitions were established. Overall the document has
received broad support from the CCAMP WG during its life.
No objection to progression of the I-D (via the CCAMP mailing list or documented in
CCAMP WG minutes), and especially at Last Call was recorded.

Document Quality

The work has had contributions from a large group of people from multiple people both
from the ITU-T and IETF.  Additionally, the work has had external review from the
IDEALIST EU project (http://www.ict-idealist.eu/) that is making multiple inter-operating
implementations of a GMPLS control plane for flexible grid.

Personnel

Daniel King is the document Shepherd
Deborah Brungard is the Responsible Area Director