Subject: RFC 7713 on Congestion Exposure (ConEx) Concepts, Abstract Mechanism, and Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 21:28:21 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7713

        Title:      Congestion Exposure (ConEx) Concepts, Abstract 
                    Mechanism, and Requirements 
        Author:     M. Mathis, B. Briscoe
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Characters: 76797
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7713

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7713

This document describes an abstract mechanism by which senders inform
the network about the congestion recently encountered by packets in
the same flow.  Today, network elements at any layer may signal
congestion to the receiver by dropping packets or by Explicit
Congestion Notification (ECN) markings, and the receiver passes this
information back to the sender in transport-layer feedback.  The
mechanism described here enables the sender to also relay this
congestion information back into the network in-band at the IP layer,
such that the total amount of congestion from all elements on the
path is revealed to all IP elements along the path, where it could,
for example, be used to provide input to traffic management.  This
mechanism is called Congestion Exposure, or ConEx.  The companion
document, "Congestion Exposure (ConEx) Concepts and Use Cases"
(RFC 6789), provides the entry point to the set of ConEx documentation.

This document is a product of the Congestion Exposure Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC