Subject: RFC 7729 on Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES) Logical Functional Block (LFB) Subsidiary Management

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:11:44 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7729

        Title:      Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES)
                    Logical Functional Block (LFB) Subsidiary
                    Management
        Author:     B. Khasnabish,
                    E. Haleplidis,
                    J. Hadi Salim, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 40570
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-forces-lfb-subsidiary-management-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7729

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7729

Deployment experience has demonstrated the value of using the
Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES) architecture to
manage resources other than packet forwarding.  In that spirit, the
Forwarding Element Manager (FEM) is modeled by creating a Logical
Functional Block (LFB) to represent its functionality.  We refer to
this LFB as the Subsidiary Mechanism (SM) LFB.  A Control Element
(CE) that controls a Forwarding Element's (FE) resources can also
manage its configuration via the SM LFB.  This document introduces
the SM LFB class, an LFB class that specifies the configuration
parameters of an FE.  The configuration parameters include new LFB
class loading and CE associations; they also provide manipulation of
debug mechanisms along with a general purpose attribute definition to
describe configuration information.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC