Subject: Protocol Action: 'Authentication Context Certificate Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-santesson-auth-context-extension-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 12:54:24 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Authentication Context Certificate Extension'
  (draft-santesson-auth-context-extension-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-santesson-auth-context-extension/

Technical Summary

  This document defines an extension to certificates according to
  [RFC5280]. The extension defined in this document holds data about
  how the certificate subject was authenticated by the Certification
  Authority who issued the certificate where this extension appears. 

  This document also defines one data structure for inclusion in this
  extension that designed to hold information when the subject is
  authenticated using a SAML assertion [SAML].

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual draft submission.  It is however standards
    track as there are a number of implementations.

Document Quality

    There are a number of working implementations, limited to 
    a single market.  The draft has received adequate review from
    other experts in PKI and SAML.

   The document has been reviewed by the implementors of the Swedish
   eID (government to citizen identity services) signing service. There
   are currently at least 3 fully interoperable implementations
   suggesting the specification has been well reviewed.

  An ASN.1 Syntax verification is requested by the document shepherd.

   A few minor idnits will be addressed when the submission window re-opens.

Personnel

  Shepherd: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
  Responsible Area Director: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>