Subject: Protocol Action: 'Ethernet-Tree (E-Tree) Support in Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:08:09 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Ethernet-Tree (E-Tree) Support in Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)'
  (draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree/

Technical Summary

  A generic Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) solution is specified
for Ethernet-Tree (E-Tree) services which uses VLANs to indicate
root or leaf traffic. A VPLS Provider Edge (PE) model is illustrated
as an example for the solution. In the solution, E-Tree VPLS PEs are
interconnected by PWs which carry the VLAN indicating the E-Tree
attribute, the MAC address based Ethernet forwarding engine and the
PW work in the same way as before. A signaling mechanism for E-Tree
capability and VLAN mapping negotiation is further described.

Working Group Summary

Progress through the working group was unremarkable until the end,
when some discussion arose around the dynamic reconfiguration of
the etree. It was determined that there was no requirement for 
seamless dynamic reconfiguration, although  there was a need to
be able to correct an incorrect configuration. Text was added to state 
this constraint and to provide guidance on how to ensure that the 
system automatically recovered to a state  of correct operation in
these circumstances.

Document Quality

There  is at least two implementations of this protocol.
 
Personnel

  Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Stewart Bryant 
  Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard