Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pals-congcons-01.txt> (Pseudowire Congestion Considerations) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 15:07:54 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled
Services WG (pals) to consider the following document:
- 'Pseudowire Congestion Considerations'
  <draft-ietf-pals-congcons-01.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-12-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Pseudowires (PWs) have become a common mechanism for tunneling
   traffic, and may be found in unmanaged scenarios competing for
   network resources both with other PWs and with non-PW traffic, such
   as TCP/IP flows.  It is thus worthwhile specifying under what
   conditions such competition is acceptable, i.e., the PW traffic does
   not significantly harm other traffic or contribute more than it
   should to congestion.  We conclude that PWs transporting responsive
   traffic behave as desired without the need for additional mechanisms.
   For inelastic PWs (such as TDM PWs) we derive a bound under which
   such PWs consume no more network capacity than a TCP flow.  For TDM
   PWs, we find that the level of congestion at which the PW can no
   longer deliver acceptable TDM service is never significantly greater
   than this bound, and typically much lower.  Therefore, as long as the
   PW is shut down when it can no longer deliver acceptable TDM service,
   it will never do significantly more harm than even a single TCP flow.
   We propose employing a transport circuit breaker to shut down a TDM
   PW that persistently fails to comply with acceptable TDM service
   criteria.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-congcons/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-congcons/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.