Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-behave-ipfix-nat-logging-06.txt> (IPFIX Information Elements for logging NAT Events) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 08:20:42 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'IPFIX Information Elements for logging NAT Events'
  <draft-ietf-behave-ipfix-nat-logging-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-02-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Network operators require NAT devices to log events like creation and
   deletion of translations and information about the resources that the
   NAT device is managing.  The logs are essential in many cases to
   identify an attacker or a host that was used to launch malicious
   attacks and for various other purposes of accounting.  Since there is
   no standard way of logging this information, different NAT devices
   log the information using proprietary formats and hence it is
   difficult to expect a consistent behavior.  The lack of a consistent
   way to log the data makes it difficult to write the collector
   applications that would receive this data and process it to present
   useful information.  This document describes the formats for logging
   of NAT events.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-ipfix-nat-logging/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-ipfix-nat-logging/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.