Subject: RFC 7690 on Close Encounters of the ICMP Type 2 Kind (Near Misses with ICMPv6 Packet Too Big (PTB))

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:50:13 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7690

        Title:      Close Encounters of the ICMP Type 2 Kind 
                    (Near Misses with ICMPv6 Packet Too Big (PTB)) 
        Author:     M. Byerly,
                    M. Hite,
                    J. Jaeggli
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 19061
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-pmtud-ecmp-problem-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7690

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7690

This document calls attention to the problem of delivering ICMPv6
type 2 "Packet Too Big" (PTB) messages to the intended destination
(typically the server) in ECMP load-balanced or anycast network
architectures.  It discusses operational mitigations that can be
employed to address this class of failures.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC