Subject: Document Action: 'On Queuing, Marking, and Dropping' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-aqm-fq-implementation-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 13:43:12 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'On Queuing, Marking, and Dropping'
  (draft-ietf-aqm-fq-implementation-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Active Queue Management and Packet
Scheduling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-fq-implementation/

Technical Summary

This note discusses implementation strategies for coupled queuing and 
mark/drop algorithms. In the discussion of Active Queue Management, 
there has been discussion of the coupling of queue management 
(scheduling) algorithms with mark/drop (aqm) algorithms. This note is 
Informational, intended to describe reasonable possibilities without 
constraining outcomes.  This is not so much about "right" or "wrong" as 
it is "what might be reasonable", and discusses several possible 
implementation strategies.  Also, while queuing might be implemented in 
almost any layer, specifically the document addresses queues that might 
be used in the Differentiated Services Architecture, and are therefore 
at or below the IP layer.

Working Group Summary

This document emerged to capture some of the discussions within the WG 
around the combination of scheduling and AQM mechanisms, and to clarify 
the discussion, as well as providing some guidance as to how to 
implement such a combination.

Document Quality

The WG is actively looking at specific combined algorithms (e.g. FQ-
Codel), which have been widely recognized as being more effective than 
either algorithm alone. There exists deployed code, as well as 
simulation code for this particular combination, but many other 
combinations, as described in the document, of different scheduling and 
queue management algorithms are possible.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd - Wesley Eddy
   Responsible Area Director - Martin Stiemerling