Subject: RFC 7771 on Switching Provider Edge (S-PE) Protection for MPLS and MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) Static Multi-Segment Pseudowires

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 14:35:17 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7771

        Title:      Switching Provider Edge (S-PE) Protection 
                    for MPLS and MPLS Transport Profile 
                    (MPLS-TP) Static Multi-Segment Pseudowires 
        Author:     A. Malis, Ed., L. Andersson, 
                    H. van Helvoort, J. Shin,
                    L. Wang, A. D'Alessandro
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 19235
        Updates:    RFC 6870

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pals-ms-pw-protection-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7771

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7771

In MPLS and MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) environments, statically
provisioned Single-Segment Pseudowires (SS-PWs) are protected against
tunnel failure via MPLS-level and MPLS-TP-level tunnel protection.
With statically provisioned Multi-Segment Pseudowires (MS-PWs), each
segment of the MS-PW is likewise protected from tunnel failures via
MPLS-level and MPLS-TP-level tunnel protection.  However, static
MS-PWs are not protected end-to-end against failure of one of the
Switching Provider Edge Routers (S-PEs) along the path of the
MS-PW.  This document describes how to achieve this protection via
redundant MS-PWs by updating the existing procedures in RFC 6870.
It also contains an optional approach based on MPLS-TP Linear
Protection.

This document is a product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC