Subject: Protocol Action: 'Updated TLS Server Identity Check Procedure for Email Related Protocols' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 09:35:39 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Updated TLS Server Identity Check Procedure for Email Related
   Protocols'
  (draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Using TLS in Applications Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell, Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba
and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs/

Technical Summary

 This document describes TLS server identity verification 
 procedure for SMTP Submission, IMAP, POP and ManageSieve 
 clients.  It replaces Section 2.4 of RFC 2595, updates Section 
 4.1 of RFC 3207, updates Section 11.1 of RFC 3501, updates 
 Section 2.2.1 of RFC 5804.

Working Group Summary

No notable issues. 

Document Quality

 The document aligns standards for certificate verification for 
 email protocols with current implementations and practice. 
 
Personnel

  Leif Johasson (WG co-chair) is the shepherd. Stephen Farrell is an AD.