Subject: Document Action: 'Moving Outdated TCP Extensions and TCP-related Documents to Historic and Informational Status' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-tcpm-undeployed-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 14:10:49 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Moving Outdated TCP Extensions and TCP-related Documents to Historic
   and Informational Status'
  (draft-ietf-tcpm-undeployed-03.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-undeployed/

Technical Summary

   This document reclassifies several TCP extensions and TCP-related
   documents that have either been superseded, have never seen
   widespread use, or are no longer recommended for use to "Historic"
   status.  The affected RFCs are RFC 675, RFC 721, RFC 761, RFC 813,
   RFC 816, RFC 879, RFC 896, RFC 1078, and RFC 6013.  Additionally,
   this document reclassifies RFC 700, RFC 794, RFC 814, RFC 817, RFC
   872, RFC 889, RFC 964, and RFC 1071 to "Informational" status.

Working Group Summary

The inclusion of the TCPMUX document (RFC 1078) raised some discussion
earlier, because implementations of TCPMUX have been reported in some OS
distributions, although it is not in use to our knowledge. There was
consensus in the TCPM WG that because of the operational and
security concerns in TCPMUX, it should also be declared Historic.

Document Quality

  Document was reviewed by multiple TCPM WG participants. Given its 
  administrative nature, there has been no controversy over it, and it
  is generally supported by the TCPM community.

Personnel

Document shepherd is Pasi Sarolahti. Responsible Area Director is
Martin Stiemerling.