Subject: RFC 7768 on Port Management to Reduce Logging in Large-Scale NATs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 14:34:52 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7768

        Title:      Port Management to Reduce Logging 
                    in Large-Scale NATs 
        Author:     T. Tsou, W. Li,
                    T. Taylor, J. Huang
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       January 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 23442
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-tsou-behave-natx4-log-reduction-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7768

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7768

Various IPv6 transition strategies require the introduction of large-
scale NATs (e.g., AFTR and NAT64) to share the limited supply of IPv4
addresses available in the network until transition is complete.
There has recently been debate over how to manage the sharing of
ports between different subscribers sharing the same IPv4 address.
One factor in the discussion is the operational requirement to log
the assignment of transport addresses to subscribers.  It has been
argued that dynamic assignment of individual ports between
subscribers requires the generation of an excessive volume of logs.
This document suggests a way to achieve dynamic port sharing while
keeping log volumes low.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC