Subject: RFC 7743 on Relayed Echo Reply Mechanism for Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:58:05 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7743

        Title:      Relayed Echo Reply Mechanism for 
                    Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping 
        Author:     J. Luo, Ed.,
                    L. Jin, Ed.,
                    T. Nadeau, Ed.,
                    G. Swallow, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 39321
        Updates:    RFC 4379

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7743

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7743

In some inter-AS (Autonomous System) and inter-area deployment
scenarios for RFC 4379 ("Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping and
Traceroute"), a replying Label Switching Router (LSR) may not have
the available route to an initiator, and the Echo Reply message sent
to the initiator would be discarded, resulting in false negatives or
a complete failure of operation of the LSP Ping and Traceroute.  This
document describes extensions to the LSP Ping mechanism to enable the
replying LSR to have the capability to relay the Echo Response by a
set of routable intermediate nodes to the initiator.  This document
updates RFC 4379.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC