Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13.txt> (Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers for Unicast RTP Sessions) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:07:52 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance WG (avtcore) to consider the following document:
- 'Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers for Unicast RTP
   Sessions'
  <draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-03-09. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) is widely used in telephony,
   video conferencing, and telepresence applications.  Such applications
   are often run on best-effort UDP/IP networks.  If congestion control
   is not implemented in the applications, then network congestion will
   deteriorate the user's multimedia experience.  This acts as a safety
   measure to prevent starvation of network resources denying other
   flows from access to the Internet, such measures are essential for an
   Internet that is heterogeneous and for traffic that is hard to
   predict in advance.  This document does not propose a congestion
   control algorithm; instead, it defines a minimal set of RTP circuit-
   breakers.  Circuit-breakers are conditions under which an RTP sender
   needs to stop transmitting media data in order to protect the network
   from excessive congestion.  It is expected that, in the absence of
   severe congestion, all RTP applications running on best-effort IP
   networks will be able to run without triggering these circuit
   breakers.  Any future RTP congestion control specification will be
   expected to operate within the constraints defined by these circuit
   breakers.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.