Subject: Protocol Action: 'SCTP-PF: Quick Failover Algorithm in SCTP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:03:58 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'SCTP-PF: Quick Failover Algorithm in SCTP'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover/

Technical Summary

This describes a standards-track procedure for SCTP to support of failover when working with a multi-homed SCTP end-point:

   SCTP supports multi-homing.  However, when the failover operation
   specified in RFC4960 is followed, there can be significant delay and
   performance degradation in the data transfer path failover.  To
   overcome this problem this document specifies a quick failover
   algorithm (SCTP-PF) based on the introduction of a Potentially Failed
   (PF) state in SCTP Path Management.

   The document also specifies a dormant state operation of SCTP.  This
   dormant state operation is required to be followed by an SCTP-PF
   implementation, but it may equally well be applied by a standard
   RFC4960 SCTP implementation.

   Additionally, the document introduces an alternative switchback
   operation mode called Primary Path Switchover that will be beneficial
   in certain situations.  This mode of operation applies to both a
   standard RFC4960 SCTP implementation as well as to a SCTP-PF
   implementation.

   The procedures defined in the document require only minimal
   modifications to the RFC4960 specification.  The procedures are
   sender-side only and do not impact the SCTP receiver.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing out of the ordinary happened during work on this draft.

Document Quality

   Gorry Fairhurst performed an extensive review of -05 version.

   The working group requested a change of intended status (from Experimental
   to Proposed Standard) during document development, and this was approved.

Personnel

   Gorry Fairhurst is the document shepherd.
   Spencer Dawkins is the responsible AD.