Subject: RFC 7770 on Extensions to OSPF for Advertising Optional Router Capabilities

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 13:35:56 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7770

        Title:      Extensions to OSPF for Advertising 
                    Optional Router Capabilities 
        Author:     A. Lindem, Ed.,
                    N. Shen,
                    JP. Vasseur,
                    R. Aggarwal,
                    S. Shaffer
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 32855
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4970

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-rfc4970bis-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7770

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7770

It is useful for routers in an OSPFv2 or OSPFv3 routing domain to
know the capabilities of their neighbors and other routers in the
routing domain.  This document proposes extensions to OSPFv2 and
OSPFv3 for advertising optional router capabilities.  The Router
Information (RI) Link State Advertisement (LSA) is defined for this
purpose.  In OSPFv2, the RI LSA will be implemented with an Opaque
LSA type ID.  In OSPFv3, the RI LSA will be implemented with a unique
LSA type function code.  In both protocols, the RI LSA can be
advertised at any of the defined flooding scopes (link, area, or
autonomous system (AS)).  This document obsoletes RFC 4970 by
providing a revised specification that includes support for
advertisement of multiple instances of the RI LSA and a TLV for
functional capabilities.

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC