Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Routing Request Extension for the HELD Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ecrit-held-routing-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:08:27 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Routing Request Extension for the HELD Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-ecrit-held-routing-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Emergency Context Resolution with
Internet Technologies Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-held-routing/

Technical Summary

For cases where location servers have access to emergency routing
   information they are able to return routing information with the
   location information if the location request includes a request for
   the desired routing information.  This document specifies an
   extension to the HELD protocol to support this function.

Working Group Summary

  Was there anything in WG process that is worth noting? For
  example, was there controversy about particular points or
  were there decisions where the consensus was particularly
  rough?

There was significant work group participation in discussion of the 
approach taken within the draft, since it introduces a different way to 
use the HELD protocol, which originally was designed exclusively to 
convey location information.  There were some controversies noted on the 
list, and all dialogues were efficiently attended to during the 
development stage.  One final objection was noted and addressed by the 
draft author, with no follow up provided by the commenter, despite ample 
opportunity/time to do so. A successful development progression is 
documented in the ECRIT work group minutes and in email list archives.

Document Quality

No existing implementations are known to exist.  There have been several 
vendors that have been involved in the development and review of the 
document.

Personnel

Document shepherd is Roger Marshall.
Area Director is Alissa Cooper.