Subject: RFC 7728 on RTP Stream Pause and Resume

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 15:57:19 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7728

        Title:      RTP Stream Pause and Resume 
        Author:     B. Burman, 
                    A. Akram,
                    R. Even, 
                    M. Westerlund
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      55
        Characters: 135619
        Updates:    RFC 5104

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7728

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7728

With the increased popularity of real-time multimedia applications,
it is desirable to provide good control of resource usage, and users
also demand more control over communication sessions.  This document
describes how a receiver in a multimedia conversation can pause and
resume incoming data from a sender by sending real-time feedback
messages when using the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) for real-
time data transport.  This document extends the Codec Control Message
(CCM) RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) feedback package by explicitly
allowing and describing specific use of existing CCMs and adding a
group of new real-time feedback messages used to pause and resume RTP
data streams.  This document updates RFC 5104.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC