Subject: RFC 7765 on TCP and Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) RTO Restart

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:11:56 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7765

        Title:      TCP and Stream Control Transmission 
                    Protocol (SCTP) RTO Restart 
        Author:     P. Hurtig, A. Brunstrom,
                    A. Petlund, M. Welzl
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 35361
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7765

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7765

This document describes a modified sender-side algorithm for managing
the TCP and Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)
retransmission timers that provides faster loss recovery when there
is a small amount of outstanding data for a connection.  The
modification, RTO Restart (RTOR), allows the transport to restart its
retransmission timer using a smaller timeout duration, so that the
effective retransmission timeout (RTO) becomes more aggressive in
situations where fast retransmit cannot be used.  This enables faster
loss detection and recovery for connections that are short lived or
application limited.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC