Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-07.txt> (Using DANE to Associate OpenPGP public keys with email addresses) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 08:53:30 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the DNS-based Authentication of
Named Entities WG (dane) to consider the following document:
- 'Using DANE to Associate OpenPGP public keys with email addresses'
  <draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-07.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-02-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   OpenPGP is a message format for email (and file) encryption that
   lacks a standardized lookup mechanism to securely obtain OpenPGP
   public keys.  DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities ("DANE") is
   a method for publishing public keys in DNS.  This document specifies
   a DANE method for publishing and locating OpenPGP public keys in DNS
   for a specific email address using a new OPENPGPKEY DNS Resource
   Record.  Security is provided via Secure DNS, however the OPENPGPKEY
   record is not a replacement for verification of authenticity via the
   "Web of Trust" or manual verification.  The OPENPGPKEY record can be
   used to encrypt an email that would otherwise have to be send
   unencrypted.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

This is a second IETF last call - the diff from version -05 which
was the subject of the previous IETF last call is at [1].

[1] https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-05&url2=draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-07