Subject: RFC 7782 on Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL) Active-Active Edge Using Multiple MAC Attachments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:53:36 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7782

        Title:      Transparent Interconnection of Lots of 
                    Links (TRILL) Active-Active Edge Using Multiple 
                    MAC Attachments 
        Author:     M. Zhang, R. Perlman,
                    H. Zhai, M. Durrani,
                    S. Gupta
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 47989
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7782

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7782

TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) active-active
service provides end stations with flow-level load balance and
resilience against link failures at the edge of TRILL campuses, as
described in RFC 7379.

This document specifies a method by which member RBridges (also
referred to as Routing Bridges or TRILL switches) in an active-active
edge RBridge group use their own nicknames as ingress RBridge
nicknames to encapsulate frames from attached end systems.  Thus,
remote edge RBridges (who are not in the group) will see one host
Media Access Control (MAC) address being associated with the multiple
RBridges in the group.  Such remote edge RBridges are required to
maintain all those associations (i.e., MAC attachments) and to not
flip-flop among them (as would occur prior to the implementation of
this specification).  The design goals of this specification are
discussed herein.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC