Subject: RFC 7797 on JSON Web Signature (JWS) Unencoded Payload Option

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:54:13 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7797

        Title:      JSON Web Signature (JWS) Unencoded 
                    Payload Option 
        Author:     M. Jones
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 23108
        Updates:    RFC 7519

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-input-options-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7797

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7797

JSON Web Signature (JWS) represents the payload of a JWS as a
base64url-encoded value and uses this value in the JWS Signature
computation.  While this enables arbitrary payloads to be integrity
protected, some have described use cases in which the base64url
encoding is unnecessary and/or an impediment to adoption, especially
when the payload is large and/or detached.  This specification
defines a means of accommodating these use cases by defining an
option to change the JWS Signing Input computation to not base64url-
encode the payload.  This option is intended to broaden the set of
use cases for which the use of JWS is a good fit.

This specification updates RFC 7519 by stating that JSON Web Tokens
(JWTs) MUST NOT use the unencoded payload option defined by this
specification.

This document is a product of the Javascript Object Signing and Encryption Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC