Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-04.txt> (UDP Checksum Complement in the Network Time Protocol (NTP)) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 06:17:22 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Network Time Protocol WG (ntp)
to consider the following document:
- 'UDP Checksum Complement in the Network Time Protocol (NTP)'
  <draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-04.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-03-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Network Time Protocol (NTP) allows clients to synchronize to a
   time server using timestamped protocol messages. To facilitate
   accurate timestamping, some implementations use hardware-based
   timestamping engines that integrate the accurate transmission time
   into every outgoing NTP packet during transmission. Since these
   packets are transported over UDP, the UDP checksum field is then
   updated to reflect this modification. This document proposes an
   extension field that includes a 2-octet Checksum Complement, allowing
   timestamping engines to reflect the checksum modification in the last
   2 octets of the packet rather than in the UDP checksum field. The
   behavior defined in this document is interoperable with existing NTP
   implementations.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2369/