Subject: RFC 7815 on Minimal Internet Key Exchange Version 2 (IKEv2) Initiator Implementation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 13:59:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7815

        Title:      Minimal Internet Key Exchange Version 
                    2 (IKEv2) Initiator Implementation 
        Author:     T. Kivinen
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Characters: 92959
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lwig-ikev2-minimal-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7815

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7815

This document describes a minimal initiator version of the Internet
Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) protocol for constrained nodes.  IKEv2
is a component of IPsec used for performing mutual authentication and
establishing and maintaining Security Associations (SAs).  IKEv2
includes several optional features, which are not needed in minimal
implementations.  This document describes what is required from the
minimal implementation and also describes various optimizations that
can be done.  The protocol described here is interoperable with a
full IKEv2 implementation using shared secret authentication (IKEv2
does not require the use of certificate authentication).  This
minimal initiator implementation can only talk to a full IKEv2
implementation acting as the responder; thus, two minimal initiator
implementations cannot talk to each other.

This document does not update or modify RFC 7296 but provides a more
compact description of the minimal version of the protocol.  If this
document and RFC 7296 conflict, then RFC 7296 is the authoritative
description.

This document is a product of the Light-Weight Implementation Guidance Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC