Subject: RFC 7796 on Ethernet-Tree (E-Tree) Support in Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 15:57:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7796

        Title:      Ethernet-Tree (E-Tree) Support in Virtual 
                    Private LAN Service (VPLS) 
        Author:     Y. Jiang, Ed.,
                    L. Yong, M. Paul
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 52579
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7796

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7796

This document specifies a generic Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)
solution, which uses VLANs to indicate root or leaf traffic to
support Ethernet-Tree (E-Tree) services.  A VPLS Provider Edge (PE)
model is illustrated as an example for the solution.  In the
solution, E-Tree VPLS PEs are interconnected by Pseudowires (PWs),
which carry the VLAN indicating the E-Tree attribute.  The MAC
address-based Ethernet forwarding engine and the PW work in the same
way as specified in RFC 4762 and RFC 4448, respectively.  A signaling
mechanism is described to support E-Tree capability and VLAN mapping
negotiation.

This document is a product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC