Subject: RFC 7754 on Technical Considerations for Internet Service Blocking and Filtering

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 11:42:40 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7754

        Title:      Technical Considerations for Internet Service 
                    Blocking and Filtering 
        Author:     R. Barnes, A. Cooper,
                    O. Kolkman, D. Thaler,
                    E. Nordmark
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       March 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 85046
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-filtering-considerations-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7754

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7754

The Internet is structured to be an open communications medium.  This
openness is one of the key underpinnings of Internet innovation, but
it can also allow communications that may be viewed as undesirable by
certain parties.  Thus, as the Internet has grown, so have mechanisms
to limit the extent and impact of abusive or objectionable
communications.  Recently, there has been an increasing emphasis on
"blocking" and "filtering", the active prevention of such
communications.  This document examines several technical approaches
to Internet blocking and filtering in terms of their alignment with
the overall Internet architecture.  When it is possible to do so, the
approach to blocking and filtering that is most coherent with the
Internet architecture is to inform endpoints about potentially
undesirable services, so that the communicants can avoid engaging in
abusive or objectionable communications.  We observe that certain
filtering and blocking approaches can cause unintended consequences
to third parties, and we discuss the limits of efficacy of various
approaches.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC