Subject: Document Action: 'Identity-Based Signatures for MANET Routing Protocols' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-manet-ibs-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 14:39:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Identity-Based Signatures for MANET Routing Protocols'
  (draft-ietf-manet-ibs-05.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-ibs/

Technical Summary

   This document updates RFC7182, which specifies a framework for, and
   specific examples of, integrity check values (ICVs) for packets and
   messages using the generalized packet/message format specified in
   RFC5444.  It does so by defining an additional cryptographic function
   that allows the creation of an ICV that is an identity-based
   signature, defined according to the ECCSI (Elliptic Curve-Based
   Certificateless Signatures for Identity-Based Encryption) algorithm
   specified in RFC6507.

Working Group Summary:

     The document was presented at the WG meeting at 
     IETF’90, and had reasonable discussion both before
     and after this meeting. There were significant 
     expression of support for adoption as WG document,
     a couple of reviews posted after adoption, which were
     addressed. On the author’s initiative, external
     verification of the example provided in Appendix A
     was sought from a crypto-expert.

     WGLC saw positive support for publication, with 
     nobody appearing to be “in the rough"

Document Quality:

     There are existing implementations of this extension 
     mechanism, known to the document shepherd. 

     Dr. Benjamin Smith provided independent verification 
     of the example provided in Appendix A, and is 
     recognized for this in the acknowledgements.

     No media type, nor MIB doctor, review done, as this
     was not needed

     This document contains a downward normative reference
     to the informational RFC 6507. This was explicitly called
     out in the IETF last call.

Personnel:

     The document shepherd is:
          Thomas Clausen

     The responsible Area Director is:
          Adrian Farrel