Subject: Protocol Action: 'The EDNS(0) Padding Option' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dprive-edns0-padding-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 17:32:46 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The EDNS(0) Padding Option'
  (draft-ietf-dprive-edns0-padding-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the DNS PRIVate Exchange Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-edns0-padding/

Technical Summary

This document specifies the EDNS(0) ’Padding’ option, which allows
DNS clients and servers to pad request and response messages by a
variable number of octets.

Since this is deploying a new EDNS(0) option, it is marked as Proposed 
Standard while it is deployed.

Working Group Summary

  This document was brought to the working group and immediately found 
consensus.  The only process issue was that this was being handled by 
the DPRIVE working group, and not DNSOP.  It was quickly confirmed by 
the co-chairs and the area director of DNSOP that this document could be 
handled here, and there was plenty of DNS subject experts to provide 
expert reviews

This document had wide consensus, and there was little controversy in 
this.

Document Quality

This is a well structured, well written and concise document. WG LC, and 
IETF LC have been uncontroversial.

Personnel

 Document Shepherd:   Tim Wicinski
Area Director:       Terry Manderson

IANA Note

Under IANA considerations, the EDNS option code '12' was assigned to 
this feature.