Subject: Last Call: <draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-12.txt> (Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 07:16:40 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs'
  <draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-12.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-05-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Many protocols make use of points of extensibility that use constants
   to identify various protocol parameters.  To ensure that the values
   used in these fields do not have conflicting uses, and to promote
   interoperability, their allocation is often coordinated by a central
   record keeper.  For IETF protocols, that role is filled by the
   Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).

   To make assignments in a given registry prudently, IANA needs
   guidance describing the conditions under which new values should be
   assigned, as well as when and how modifications to existing values
   can be made.  This document defines a framework for the documentation
   of these guidelines by specification authors, in order to assure that
   the guidance given to IANA is clear and addresses the various issues
   that are likely in the operation of a registry.

   This is the third edition of this document; it obsoletes RFC 5226.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.