Subject: Protocol Action: 'Session Peering Provisioning (SPP) Protocol over SOAP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-drinks-spp-protocol-over-soap-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 14:15:07 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Session Peering Provisioning (SPP) Protocol over SOAP'
  (draft-ietf-drinks-spp-protocol-over-soap-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Data for Reachability of
Inter/tra-NetworK SIP Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba, Ben Campbell and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-drinks-spp-protocol-over-soap/

Technical Summary:

  This document provides a SOAP (over HTTPS) transport protocol for 
  implementing the Session Peering Provisioning Framework (SPPF; draft
  -ietf-drinks-spp-framework). SPPF specifies the data model and the 
  overall structure to provision session establishment data into Session 
  Data Registries and SIP Service Provider data stores.

Working Group Summary:

  The chairs believe that there is consensus behind this document. There 
  has not been any disagreement on the content of this I-D . Some 
  participants of the working group (and external observers) have 
  periodically expressed concern over the use of SOAP and questioned why 
  RESTful web service is not being used. The Working Group has discussed 
  this on multiple occasions and the act that more provisioning systems 
  that are meant to employ SPPF already use SOAP, it is the one that is 
  currently in demand for practical use. It is important to note that 
  SPPF is limited to identifying the data model specification. Should 
  the need arise for a RESTful service based transport protocol 
  specification , or even a binary protocol for various reasons, it can 
  be derived from the SPPF in the future. Therefore , the WG Chairs 
  believe that this has resulted in general consensus to progress this 
  document for consideration as an RFC.

Document Quality:

  A few working group participants have developed a prototype-level 
  implementation, involving programmers who were not involved in the 
  framework or transport protocol design efforts. Lessons learned from 
  that implementation were fed back into the documents. Furthermore, the 
  SPPF design team includes several potential implementers, who have 
  verified the I-D content as ready for implementation.

Personnel:

  Syed W. Ali is serving the role of Document Shepherd, and Ben
  Campbell is the responsible AD.