Subject: RFC 7829 on SCTP-PF: A Quick Failover Algorithm for the Stream Control Transmission Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:29:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7829

        Title:      SCTP-PF: A Quick Failover Algorithm 
                    for the Stream Control Transmission Protocol 
        Author:     Y. Nishida, P. Natarajan,
                    A. Caro, P. Amer, K. Nielsen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 53922
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7829

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7829

The Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) supports multihoming.
However, when the failover operation specified in RFC 4960 is
followed, there can be significant delay and performance degradation
in the data transfer path failover.  This document specifies a quick
failover algorithm and introduces the SCTP Potentially Failed
(SCTP-PF) destination state in SCTP Path Management.

This document also specifies a dormant state operation of SCTP that
is required to be followed by an SCTP-PF implementation, but it may
equally well be applied by a standard SCTP implementation, as
described in RFC 4960.

Additionally, this document introduces an alternative switchback
operation mode called "Primary Path Switchover" that will be
beneficial in certain situations.  This mode of operation applies to
both a standard SCTP implementation and an SCTP-PF implementation.

The procedures defined in the document require only minimal
modifications to the specification in RFC 4960.  The procedures are
sender-side only and do not impact the SCTP receiver.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC