Subject: Document Action: 'The scrypt Password-Based Key Derivation Function' to Informational RFC (draft-josefsson-scrypt-kdf-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 06:54:43 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The scrypt Password-Based Key Derivation Function'
  (draft-josefsson-scrypt-kdf-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-josefsson-scrypt-kdf/

Technical Summary: 

   This document specifies the password-based key derivation function scrypt.  
   The function derives one or more secret keys from a secret string.  It is 
   based on memory-hard functions which offer added protection against attacks 
   using custom hardware.

Working Group Summary: 

   This was an individual effort to document an external algorithm. It 
   was presented at the CFRG in IETF-92; there is no controversy.

Document Quality: 

   It is a good, well-written document; it includes test vectors.  An
   interoperable implementation was written for OpenSSL based on 
   this document.

Personnel: 
 
    Stephen Farrell is AD; Rich Salz is the shepherd