Subject: Document Action: 'Larger Packets for RADIUS over TCP' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-radext-bigger-packets-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 08:36:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Larger Packets for RADIUS over TCP'
  (draft-ietf-radext-bigger-packets-07.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the RADIUS EXTensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell, Benoit Claise and Joel
Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-radext-bigger-packets/

Technical Summary:

The Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) protocol is limited to a total
packet size of 4096 octets. The RADIUS over TLS experiment described in RFC 6614 has
opened RADIUS to new use cases where the 4096-octet maximum size limit of RADIUS packets
proves problematic. This specification extends the RADIUS over TCP experiment (RFC 6613)
to permit larger RADIUS packets.  This specification compliments other ongoing work to
permit fragmentation of RADIUS authorization information.  This document registers a new
RADIUS code, an action which requires IESG approval.

Working Group Summary:

The document advanced through the working group stage smoothly. The amount of review it
got was not overwhelming, but enough people participated to make it a solid and credible
review and consensus overall.

Document Quality:

The document was reviewed by key contributors of the radext working group. It has not undergone an
external review yet. There should be a review of the new Protocol-Error packet type during
the IETF Last Call and IESG evaluation, since the allocation of a new packet type requires
IESG approval.
At least one vendor (FreeRADIUS) has indicated an interest to implement this specification.

Personnel:

The Document Shepherd is Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>. The responsible Area
Director is Kathleen Moriarty ([email-masked]); currently Stephen Farrell
([email-masked]).