Subject: RFC 7888 on IMAP4 Non-synchronizing Literals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 15:25:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7888

        Title:      IMAP4 Non-synchronizing Literals 
        Author:     A. Melnikov, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 17375
        Obsoletes:  RFC 2088

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-imapapnd-rfc2088bis-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7888

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7888

The Internet Message Access Protocol (RFC 3501) contains the
"literal" syntactic construct for communicating strings.  When
sending a literal from client to server, IMAP requires the client to
wait for the server to send a command continuation request between
sending the octet count and the string data.  This document specifies
an alternate form of literal that does not require this network round
trip.

This document specifies 2 IMAP extensions: LITERAL+ and LITERAL-.
LITERAL+ allows the alternate form of literals in all IMAP commands.
LITERAL- is the same as LITERAL+, but it disallows the alternate form
of literals unless they are 4096 bytes or less.

This document obsoletes RFC 2088.

This document is a product of the IMAP APPEND Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC