Subject: Document Action: 'Brotli Compressed Data Format' to Informational RFC (draft-alakuijala-brotli-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 08:11:48 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Brotli Compressed Data Format'
  (draft-alakuijala-brotli-11.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-alakuijala-brotli/

Technical Summary

This specification defines a lossless compressed data format that
compresses data using a combination of the LZ77 algorithm and Huffman
coding, with efficiency comparable to the best currently available
general-purpose compression methods.

Review and Consensus

The draft's authors submitted it to the Independent Stream in April
2014.  It took the ISE rather a long time to find suitable reviewers for
a new compression technique, but, it finally got a brief review from
Ulrich Speidel(U Auckland, a coding theory researcher), and a more
thorough review from Jean-Loup Gailly (the author of gzip). The authors
made changes based on those reviews, and it is now ready for publication.

We are aware, through the W3C liaison team, that W3C would like to see
it published.  It requests IANA to assign an HTTP Content Coding, and
that Registry requires IETF Review, which is why the document has been
moved to the IETF stream and AD sponsorship.

Personnel
Nevil Brownlee is the document shepherd and Alexey Melnikov is the
responsible AD.