Subject: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-gont-dhcpv6-stable-privacy-addresses-01

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 10:01:36 -0700

The IESG has completed a review of
draft-gont-dhcpv6-stable-privacy-addresses-01 consistent with RFC5742.

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'A Method for Generating
Semantically Opaque Interface Identifiers with Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)'
<draft-gont-dhcpv6-stable-privacy-addresses-01.txt> as an Informational
RFC.

The IESG has concluded that this work is related to IETF work done in 
the dhc WG, but this relationship does not prevent publishing.

Additionally, the IESG requests the following note be added to the 
document if it is published:

A predecessor to this document [draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses] 
was earlier a working group document in the dhc WG. The WG decided to 
stop further work in this area because such work was not considered 
useful.

The proposal described in this document has an unaddressed failure case 
that makes it unsuitable for use as the mechanism to provide the claimed 
failover features for DHCPv6 servers. Specifically, when a DHCPv6 client 
DECLINEs a provided address there is no recovery mechanism described 
that will result in the DHCPv6 client obtaining a working IPv6 address.

The IESG would also like the Independent Submissions Editor to review the
comments in the datatracker related to this document and determine
whether or not they merit incorporation into the document. Comments may
exist in both the ballot and the history log.

The IESG review is documented at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/conflict-review-gont-dhcpv6-stable-privacy-addresses/

A URL of the reviewed Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-dhcpv6-stable-privacy-addresses/

The process for such documents is described at
https://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html 

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary