Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-trill-tree-selection-04.txt> (TRILL: Data Label based Tree Selection for Multi-destination Data) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:34:12 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transparent Interconnection of
Lots of Links WG (trill) to consider the following document:
- 'TRILL: Data Label based Tree Selection for Multi-destination Data'
  <draft-ietf-trill-tree-selection-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-07-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   TRILL uses distribution trees to deliver multi-destination frames.
   Multiple trees can be used by an ingress RBridge for flows regardless
   of the VLAN, Fine Grained Label (FGL), and/or multicast group of the
   flow. Different ingress RBridges may choose different distribution
   trees for TRILL Data packets in the same VLAN, FGL, and/or multicast
   group. To avoid unnecessary link utilization, distribution trees
   should be pruned based on VLAN and/or FGL and/or multicast
   destination address. If any VLAN, FGL, or multicast group can be sent
   on any tree, for typical fast path hardware, the amount of pruning
   information is multiplied by the number of trees, but there is a
   limited hardware capacity for such pruning information.

   This document specifies an optional facility to restrict the TRILL
   Data packets sent on particular distribution trees by VLAN, FGL,
   and/or multicast group thus reducing the total amount of pruning
   information so that it can more easily be accommodated by fast path
   hardware.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-tree-selection/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-tree-selection/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2584/