Subject: RFC 7893 on Pseudowire Congestion Considerations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:53:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7893

        Title:      Pseudowire Congestion Considerations 
        Author:     Y(J) Stein, D. Black, B. Briscoe
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 54380
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pals-congcons-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7893

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7893

Pseudowires (PWs) have become a common mechanism for tunneling
traffic and may be found in unmanaged scenarios competing for network
resources both with other PWs and with non-PW traffic, such as TCP/IP
flows.  Thus, it is worthwhile specifying under what conditions such
competition is acceptable, i.e., the PW traffic does not
significantly harm other traffic or contribute more than it should to
congestion.  We conclude that PWs transporting responsive traffic
behave as desired without the need for additional mechanisms.  For
inelastic PWs (such as Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) PWs), we
derive a bound under which such PWs consume no more network capacity
than a TCP flow.  For TDM PWs, we find that the level of congestion
at which the PW can no longer deliver acceptable TDM service is never
significantly greater, and is typically much lower, than this bound.
Therefore, as long as the PW is shut down when it can no longer
deliver acceptable TDM service, it will never do significantly more
harm than even a single TCP flow.  If the TDM service does not
automatically shut down, a mechanism to block persistently
unacceptable TDM pseudowires is required.

This document is a product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC