Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds-03.txt> (Managing DS records from parent via CDS/CDNSKEY) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 13:38:16 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document:
- 'Managing DS records from parent via CDS/CDNSKEY'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-07-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC7344 specifies how DNS trust can be partially maintained in-band
   between parent and child.  There are two features missing in that
   specification: initial trust setup and removal of trust anchor.  This
   document addresses both these omissions.

   Changing a domain's DNSSEC status can be a complicated matter
   involving multiple unrelated parties.  Some of these parties, such as
   the DNS operator, might not even be known by all the organizations
   involved.  The inability to disable DNSSEC via in-band signalling is
   seen as a problem or liability that prevents some DNSSEC adoption at
   large scale.  This document adds a method for in-band signalling of
   these DNSSEC status changes.

   Initial trust is considered in general to be a hard technical
   problem, this document sets forth reasonable policies that clarify
   and simplify the initial acceptance policy.

Elevating RFC 7344 to standards-track.

Of note, the policy framework described in this document normatively references (thereby including it) a method described in the informational document RFC 7344 . This transition. should be considered it context of advancing this draft.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.