Subject: Document Action: 'AQM Characterization Guidelines' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 10:36:04 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'AQM Characterization Guidelines'
  (draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines-13.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Active Queue Management and Packet
Scheduling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines/

Technical Summary

   Unmanaged large buffers in today's networks have given rise to a slew
   of performance issues.  These performance issues can be addressed by
   some form of Active Queue Management (AQM) mechanism, optionally in
   combination with a packet scheduling scheme such as fair queuing.
   This document describes various criteria for performing precautionary
   characterizations of AQM schemes.

Working Group Summary

   Over it's lifetime, this document changed scope a couple of times.  
   It currently contains guidance for characterizing AQM algorithm 
   performance, though it had started out to prescribe evaluation 
   methods for AQM algorithms being considered in the working group.  As 
   time went on, the focus shifted, and the WG did not use the 
   guidelines in a prescriptive way.  The current guidelines are not 
   fully parameterized, and it is assumed that someone performing a 
   characterization would consider how to parameterize configurations 
   relevant to their own networks or scenarios of interest.

   Ideally there would be running code (as mentioned by Dave, among 
   others) for performing the characterizations, e.g. implemented using 
   some tool such as ns-3, mininet, etc, however, this has not come 
   about yet.

   Where it sits now, the document is suitable as Informational 
   guidance, but it is not a prescriptive and fully defined spec, like 
   for example, an IPPM metric would be.  It simply collects guidance 
   and description of the set of things to look at and the measurements 
   of interest in common AQM performance testing situations.

Document Quality

   The document is of sufficient quality that someone (e.g. a graduate 
   student) could read it and implement proper tests.

Personnel

   Wesley Eddy ([email-masked]) is the shepherd, and Mirja 
   Kühlewind ([email-masked]) is the AD.