Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-alto-deployments-15.txt> (ALTO Deployment Considerations) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 07:30:31 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization WG (alto) to consider the following document:
- 'ALTO Deployment Considerations'
  <draft-ietf-alto-deployments-15.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-06-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Many Internet applications are used to access resources such as
   pieces of information or server processes that are available in
   several equivalent replicas on different hosts.  This includes, but
   is not limited to, peer-to-peer file sharing applications.  The goal
   of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to provide
   guidance to applications that have to select one or several hosts
   from a set of candidates, which are able to provide a desired
   resource.  This memo discusses deployment related issues of ALTO.  It
   addresses different use cases of ALTO such as peer-to-peer file
   sharing and CDNs and presents corresponding examples.  The document
   also includes recommendations for network administrators and
   application designers planning to deploy ALTO, such recommendations
   how to generate ALTO map information.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-deployments/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-deployments/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.