Subject: RFC 7908 on Problem Definition and Classification of BGP Route Leaks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:58:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7908

        Title:      Problem Definition and Classification of 
                    BGP Route Leaks 
        Author:     K. Sriram, D. Montgomery,
                    D. McPherson, E. Osterweil,
                    B. Dickson
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 25417
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7908

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7908

A systemic vulnerability of the Border Gateway Protocol routing
system, known as "route leaks", has received significant attention in
recent years.  Frequent incidents that result in significant
disruptions to Internet routing are labeled route leaks, but to date
a common definition of the term has been lacking.  This document
provides a working definition of route leaks while keeping in mind
the real occurrences that have received significant attention.
Further, this document attempts to enumerate (though not
exhaustively) different types of route leaks based on observed events
on the Internet.  The aim is to provide a taxonomy that covers
several forms of route leaks that have been observed and are of
concern to the Internet user community as well as the network
operator community.

This document is a product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC