Subject: IPV6 Reverse DNS Resolution offlline

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 10:49:36 -0700

All -

I have just discovered that IPV6 reverse resolution for the IETF is
offline.  It appears to have been offline for the past 30 minutes or
so.

IPV6 reverse resolution is provided by Level3 - the provider at which
IETF services are hosted.

An emergency ticket has been opened with Level3, and has been
acknowledged. They are working on the problem now.

We have been assured by Level 3 that this issue has been escalated to
their top engineers; however, no ETA is available yet.

In the meantime, the absence of reverse DNS for IPV6 may cause some
user mail servers to reject IETF mail, or to incorrectly score it as
Spam.  Google, for example, is currently putting all IETF mail into
users' spam folders, with a warning about mail configuration.

As a result, I have instructed all of our mail servers to attempt
delivery over IPV4 first, before attempting IPV6 delivery, in an
effort to mitigate this problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and will send an update as soon as
we hear back from Level3.

Glen
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 13:37:18 -0700

By way of follow-up, we now observe that reverse IPV6 resolution is
back online for the IETF.

Thank you for your patience with this outage, and noisy announcement.

Glen
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)