Subject: Protocol Action: 'The GeoJSON Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-geojson-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 15:58:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The GeoJSON Format'
  (draft-ietf-geojson-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic JSON Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-geojson/

Technical Summary

   GeoJSON is a geospatial data interchange format based on JavaScript
   Object Notation (JSON).

Working Group Summary

  The working group had good discussion around the changes made
  to this version over the version that was widely deployed.  There was 
  good consensus for the changes made (these are summarized in
  Appendix B).

Document Quality

  GeoJSON is widely implemented and used already.  The changes made
  by the working group are largely formal in nature, though this includes
  a new media type (the "vnd." prefix has been dropped).  The media
  type change has been proposed and reviewed, see
  https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/media-types/hUlxdmrz6nid3er1XXK86cgxIkA

  Considerable debate was had over the inclusion of the "crs" member.
  The working group has consensus around the text in -03.

Personnel

  Martin Thomson is the document shepherd.
  Alissa Cooper is the responsible AD.