Subject: Protocol Action: 'TRILL: Data Label based Tree Selection for Multi-destination Data' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-tree-selection-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 13:55:38 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL: Data Label based Tree Selection for Multi-destination Data'
  (draft-ietf-trill-tree-selection-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-tree-selection/

Technical Summary

   TRILL uses distribution trees to deliver multi-destination frames.
   Multiple trees can be used by an ingress RBridge for flows regardless
   of the VLAN, Fine Grained Label (FGL), and/or multicast group of the
   flow. Different ingress RBridges may choose different distribution
   trees for TRILL Data packets in the same VLAN, FGL, and/or multicast
   group. To avoid unnecessary link utilization, distribution trees
   should be pruned based on VLAN and/or FGL and/or multicast
   destination address. If any VLAN, FGL, or multicast group can be sent
   on any tree, for typical fast path hardware, the amount of pruning
   information is multiplied by the number of trees; however, there is a
   limited capacity for such pruning information.

   This document specifies an optional facility to restrict the TRILL
   Data packets sent on particular distribution trees by VLAN, FGL,
   and/or multicast group thus reducing the total amount of pruning
   information so that it can more easily be accommodated by fast path
   hardware.

Working Group Summary

WG had discussion over 2+ years regarding data label based tree selection for multi-destination data.
The working came to a good consensus on this discussion  

Document Quality

No known implementation of this technology. 
Distribution trees, ECMP, and Fine-Grain Labels (FGL) exist in many implementation, 
and some proprietary technology has similar features.  

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Susan Hares
Responsible AD: Alia Atlas