Subject: Document Action: 'ALTO Deployment Considerations' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-alto-deployments-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 05:36:39 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'ALTO Deployment Considerations'
  (draft-ietf-alto-deployments-16.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-deployments/

Technical Summary

The document distills and prescribes recommendations for network
administrators and application designers planning to deploy ALTO, including
recommendations on how to generate the ALTO map information and known
limitations of the ALTO protocol (rfc7285).  Furthermore, the document
provides guidance for the use of ALTO in diverse environments, including P2P
traffic optimization, CDN considerations, application guidance in VPNs, to
name a few examples.

Working Group Summary

The document itself has a long and varied history, having started life off as
a -00 document targeted to the ALTO WG as an individual (original authors:
Martin Stiemerling and Sebsatian Kiesel, March 1, 2010).  It transitioned to a
WG document in February 2011 with the original two authors and continued on
revision trajectory until version -04 when new authors were added.

Version -11 of the draft was last-called between the time period of April 28, 2015 
to May 17, 2015.  During this period, the draft was reviewed in detail by 
Wendy Roome.  Wendy found several minor issues and nits and a couple 
of major issues, all of which were readily addressed in version -12 (June 2015).

Pursuant to an ALTO virtual meeting held on October 27, 2015, it became
apparent that draft-siedel-alto-map-calculation could inform
draft-ietf-alto-deployments.  The authors of the two drafts were requested to
make a determination whether portions of the former could be included in the
latter.  By November 2015, a determination was made that relevant portions
from the map-calculation draft could be put into the deployment-considerations
draft.  The issue at hand after this was done was whether the changes
percolated widely enough to have a second WGLC.  By Jan 2016, it was decided
that a second WGLC was likely, and thus a second one was issued that ended
on February 3, 2016.  The second WGLC was reviewed by Sabine Randriamasy,
resulting in version -14 that addressed her review.

Document Quality

The deployment draft has had excellent support from the working
group, has been reviewed on multiple occasions by various members of the
working group and has been last-called twice to account for the expanded role
it took on as the working group became aware of the growing deployment of the
ALTO protocol.

Personnel

Vijay K. Gurbani is the document shepherd for draft-alto-deployments draft.
Spencer Dawkins was the responsible AD throughout the last few versions of the
draft, however, that benefit transferred to Mirja Kuhlewind around IETF 95
(Buenos Aires).