Subject: WG Action: Formed Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME (lamps)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 09:34:13 -0700

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Security Area. For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chair.

Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME (lamps)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Russ Housley <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors:
  Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
  Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spasm
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/spasm/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-lamps/

The PKIX and S/MIME Working Groups have been closed for some time. Some
updates have been proposed to the X.509 certificate documents produced 
by the PKIX Working Group and the electronic mail security documents 
produced by the S/MIME Working Group.

The LAMPS (Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME) Working 
Group is chartered to make updates where there is a known constituency 
interested in real deployment and there is at least one sufficiently 
well specified approach to the update so that the working group can 
sensibly evaluate whether to adopt a proposal. The current charter 
encompasses updates to satisfy the following needs:

1. Specify the way to include an i18n email address as a subject
alternative name and an issuer alternative name.
draft-melnikov-spasm-eai-addresses is a proposal in this space.

2. Specify the way to use authenticated encryption in S/MIME.
draft-schaad-rfc5751-bis is a proposal in this space.

In addition, the LAMPS Working Group may investigate other updates to 
the documents produced by the PKIX and S/MIME Working Groups, but the 
LAMPS Working Group shall not adopt any of these potential work items 
without rechartering. No such re-chartering is envisaged until one or 
more of the above work items have been successfully delivered to the RFC 
editor queue. 

Milestones:
  Jul 2016 - WG adoption of a draft to specify the way to use
authenticated encryption in S/MIME
  Jul 2016 - WG adoption of a draft to specify the way to include an i18n
email address as a subject alternative name and an issuer alternative
name
  Jan 2017 - WGLC for a draft to specify the way to include an i18n email
address as a subject alternative name and an issuer alternative name
  Apr 2017 - WGLC for draft to specify the way to use authenticated
encryption in S/MIME