Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-trill-channel-tunnel-10.txt> (TRILL: RBridge Channel Header Extension) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:26:30 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transparent Interconnection of
Lots of Links WG (trill) to consider the following document:
- 'TRILL: RBridge Channel Header Extension'
  <draft-ietf-trill-channel-tunnel-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-07-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IETF TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)
   protocol includes an optional mechanism (specified in RFC 7178)
   called RBridge Channel for the transmission of typed messages between
   TRILL switches in the same campus and the transmission of such
   messages between TRILL switches and end stations on the same link.
   This document specifies extensions to the RBridge Channel protocol
   header to support two features as follows: (1) a standard method to
   tunnel payloads whose type can be indicated by Ethertype through
   encapsulation in RBridge Channel messages; and (2) a method to
   support security facilities for RBridge Channel messages. This
   document updates RFC 7178.

There is a normative reference to RFC 5869, which is an Informational 
RFC, so this is a DownRef to a document which isn't yet in the DownRef 
Registry. This DownRef was missed during the first IETF Last Call, so 
this is a new Last Call focused on the DownRef.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-channel-tunnel/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-channel-tunnel/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.