Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Exchange BGP Route Server' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-ix-bgp-route-server-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 14:32:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet Exchange BGP Route Server'
  (draft-ietf-idr-ix-bgp-route-server-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-ix-bgp-route-server/

Technical Summary

   This document outlines a specification for multilateral
   interconnections at Internet exchange points (IXPs).  Multilateral
   interconnection is a method of exchanging routing information between
   three or more external BGP speakers using a single intermediate
   broker system, referred to as a route server.  Route servers are
   typically used on shared access media networks, such as Internet
   exchange points (IXPs), to facilitate simplified interconnection
   between multiple Internet routers.

Working Group Summary

 The document has been discussed for 2-3 years in the IDR and
 the GROW working group.  There is a "companion" document from the 
 grow WG: draft-ietf-grow-ix-bgp-route-server-operations.

Document Quality

   Yes, implementations from cisco, BIRD and Quaga exist.  The details
   of an implementation report are here: http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/idr/trac/wiki/draft-ietf-idr-ix-bgp-route-server%20implementations

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Susan Hares 
  Responsible AD: Alvaro Retana