Subject: Protocol Action: 'New Properties for iCalendar' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-calext-extensions-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 06:56:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'New Properties for iCalendar'
  (draft-ietf-calext-extensions-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Calendaring Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-calext-extensions/

Technical Summary:

This document registers various extensions to the calendaring format
defined in RFC5545. The extensions have been used by various vendors in
an ad-hoc fashion and are now to be standardized using the registry
provisions in RFC5545.

Working Group Summary:

There were no major disagreements on the introduction of these new
extensions. For some of the extensions such as IMAGE and COLOR, there
was discussion on if the properties fit in well with the iCalendar data
model given they are presentation related properties, but keeping them
did not lead to objections in the end. Also, the introduction of other
extensions such as REFRESH-INTERVAL prompted discussion on if its use
promotes good practice, but it was concluded that the properties aptly
describe current practice and that advanced mechanisms such as push
notifications should be defined in other documents.

Document Quality:

The extensions defined have been in use by multiple major calendaring
vendors, or an intent to make use of the standardized extensions has
been expressed. In addition, the document has been reviewed by the
experts of the Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium prior to
publication as an IETF draft. Consensus has been reached among
calendaring experts that the document has no substantive issues.

Personnel:

The Document Shepherd is Philipp Kewisch <[email-masked], the
Responsible Area Director is Alexey Melnikov.