Subject: RFC 7941 on RTP Header Extension for the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Source Description Items

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:37:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7941

        Title:      RTP Header Extension for the 
                    RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Source Description 
                    Items 
        Author:     M. Westerlund, B. Burman,
                    R. Even, M. Zanaty
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 39887
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7941

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7941

Source Description (SDES) items are normally transported in the RTP
Control Protocol (RTCP).  In some cases, it can be beneficial to
speed up the delivery of these items.  The main case is when a new
synchronization source (SSRC) joins an RTP session and the receivers
need this source's identity, relation to other sources, or its
synchronization context, all of which may be fully or partially
identified using SDES items.  To enable this optimization, this
document specifies a new RTP header extension that can carry SDES
items.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC