Subject: Last Call: <draft-moriarty-pkcs5-v2dot1-01.txt> (PKCS #5: Password-Based Cryptography Specification Version 2.1) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 10:26:02 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'PKCS #5: Password-Based Cryptography Specification Version 2.1'
  <draft-moriarty-pkcs5-v2dot1-01.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-09-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document provides recommendations for the implementation of
   password-based cryptography, covering key derivation functions,
   encryption schemes, message-authentication schemes, and ASN.1 syntax
   identifying the techniques.

   The recommendations are intended for general application within
   computer and communications systems, and as such include a fair
   amount of flexibility. They are particularly intended for the
   protection of sensitive information such as private keys, as in PKCS
   #8. It is expected that application standards and implementation
   profiles based on these specifications may include additional
   constraints.

   Other cryptographic techniques based on passwords, such as password-
   based-key entity authentication and key establishment protocols are
   outside the scope of this document.  Guidelines for the selection of
   passwords are also outside the scope.

   This document represents a republication of PKCS #5 v2.1 from RSA
   Laboratories' Public-Key Cryptography Standards (PKCS) series. By
   publishing this RFC, change control is transferred to the IETF.

This document also obsoletes RFC 2898. Noting that in the abstract
and some other ID-nits will be fixed during/after IETF last call.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moriarty-pkcs5-v2dot1/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moriarty-pkcs5-v2dot1/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.