Subject: Protocol Action: 'BGP Persistent Route Oscillation Solutions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-route-oscillation-stop-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 14:02:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BGP Persistent Route Oscillation Solutions'
  (draft-ietf-idr-route-oscillation-stop-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-route-oscillation-stop/

Technical Summary

This  document presents two sets of paths for an address prefix
   that can be advertised by a BGP route reflector or confederation ASBR
   to eliminate the MED-induced route oscillations in a network.  The
   first set involves all the available paths, and would achieve the
   same routing consistency as the full IBGP mesh.  The second set,
   which is a subset of the first one, involves the neighbor-AS based
   Group Best Paths, and would be sufficient to eliminate the MED-
   induced route oscillations (subject to certain commonly adopted
   topological constrains).

Working Group Summary

Strong consensus.  Good discussion on the list. 
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/current/msg14201.html

Document Quality

Implemented in Juniper, Cisco 
RTG-DIR review: Tony Przygienda
This was discussed for over 5 years, and deployed. 
We are just slow in getting it standardized. 

Personnel
Document Shepherd: Susan Hares 
AD: Alia Atlas (Alvaro Retana is the author)