Subject: Protocol Action: 'Host Identity Protocol (HIP) Domain Name System (DNS) Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-hip-rfc5205-bis-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 07:39:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Host Identity Protocol (HIP) Domain Name System (DNS) Extension'
  (draft-ietf-hip-rfc5205-bis-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-rfc5205-bis/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a new resource record (RR) for the Domain
  Name System (DNS), and how to use it with the Host Identity Protocol
  (HIP).  This RR allows a HIP node to store in the DNS its Host
  Identity (HI, the public component of the node public-private key
  pair), Host Identity Tag (HIT, a truncated hash of its public key),
  and the Domain Names of its rendezvous servers (RVSs).  This
  document obsoletes RFC5205.

Working Group Summary

  There were no unusual occurrences for this document

Document Quality

   As discussed in RFC 6538, there are several implementations of the
  Experimental HIP specs. At least HIP for Linux and OpenHIP will be
  updated to comply with the standards-track specs.

Personnel

   Gonzalo Camarillo is the document shepherd. Terry Manderson is the
  responsible area director.