Subject: RFC 7961 on Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Interface Addresses APPsub-TLV

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 13:21:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7961

        Title:      Transparent Interconnection of Lots of 
                    Links (TRILL): Interface Addresses APPsub-TLV 
        Author:     D. Eastlake 3rd,
                    L. Yizhou
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 50012
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7961

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7961

This document specifies a TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links) IS-IS application sub-TLV that enables the reporting by a
TRILL switch of sets of addresses.  Each set of addresses reports all
of the addresses that designate the same interface (port) and also
reports the TRILL switch by which that interface is reachable.  For
example, a 48-bit MAC (Media Access Control) address, IPv4 address,
and IPv6 address can be reported as all corresponding to the same
interface reachable by a particular TRILL switch.  Such information
could be used in some cases to synthesize responses to, or bypass the
need for, the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), the IPv6 Neighbor
Discovery (ND) protocol, or the flooding of unknown MAC addresses.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC