Subject: Protocol Action: 'Ingress Replication Tunnels in Multicast VPN' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bess-ir-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:57:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Ingress Replication Tunnels in Multicast VPN'
  (draft-ietf-bess-ir-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the BGP Enabled ServiceS Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-ir/

Technical Summary

   RFCs 6513, 6514, and other RFCs describe procedures by which a
   Service Provider may offer Multicast VPN service to its customers.
   These procedures create point-to-multipoint (P2MP) or multipoint-to-
   multipoint trees across the Service Provider's backbone.  One type of
   P2MP tree that may be used is known as an "Ingress Replication (IR)
   tunnel".   While the prior MVPN specifications allow the use of IR 
   tunnels, those specifications are not always very clear or explicit about 
   how the MVPN protocol elements and procedures are applied to IR 
   tunnels.  This document updates RFCs 6513 and 6514 by adding 
   details that are specific to the use of IR tunnels.

Working Group Summary

  There was consensus in the WG that a clarification document was
  needed to completement RFC6513/RFC6514.

Document Quality

   This document started from implementation experience realated
   to IR in MVPN -- the clarifications in the document come from there.
   The document can be technically detailed and maybe even confusing
   to the uninitiated, but it has gone through multiple reviews and 
   discussion in the bess WG by experts.

Personnel

Document Shepherd = Thomas Morin.
Responsible AD =  Alvaro Retana.