Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-entropy-lsp-ping-04.txt> (Label Switched Path (LSP) and Pseudowire (PW) Ping/Trace over MPLS Network using Entropy Labels (EL)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 08:35:51 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document:
- 'Label Switched Path (LSP) and Pseudowire (PW) Ping/Trace over MPLS
   Network using Entropy Labels (EL)'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-entropy-lsp-ping-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-08-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping
   and Traceroute are methods used to test Equal-Cost Multipath (ECMP)
   paths.  Ping is known as a connectivity verification method and
   Traceroute as a fault isolation method, as described in RFC 4379.
   When an LSP is signaled using the Entropy Label (EL) described in RFC
   6790, the ability for LSP Ping and Traceroute operations to discover
   and exercise ECMP paths is lost for scenarios where LSRs apply
   different load balancing techniques.  One such scenario is when some
   LSRs apply EL-based load balancing while other LSRs apply non-EL
   based load balancing (e.g., IP).  Another scenario is when an EL-
   based LSP is stitched with another LSP which can be EL-based or non-
   EL based.

   This document extends the MPLS LSP Ping and Traceroute multipath
   mechanisms in RFC 6424 to allow the ability of exercising LSPs which
   make use of the EL.  This document updates RFC 4379, RFC 6424, and
   RFC 6790.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-entropy-lsp-ping/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-entropy-lsp-ping/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2802/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2305/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2546/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2221/