Subject: RFC 7962 on Alternative Network Deployments: Taxonomy, Characterization, Technologies, and Architectures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:45:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7962

        Title:      Alternative Network Deployments: Taxonomy, 
                    Characterization, Technologies, and Architectures 
        Author:     J. Saldana, Ed.,
                    A. Arcia-Moret, B. Braem,
                    E. Pietrosemoli, A. Sathiaseelan,
                    M. Zennaro
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       August 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 97574
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7962

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7962

This document presents a taxonomy of a set of "Alternative Network
Deployments" that emerged in the last decade with the aim of bringing
Internet connectivity to people or providing a local communication
infrastructure to serve various complementary needs and objectives.
They employ architectures and topologies different from those of
mainstream networks and rely on alternative governance and business
models.

The document also surveys the technologies deployed in these
networks, and their differing architectural characteristics,
including a set of definitions and shared properties.

The classification considers models such as Community Networks,
Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs), networks owned by
individuals but leased out to network operators who use them as a
low-cost medium to reach the underserved population, networks that
provide connectivity by sharing wireless resources of the users, and
rural utility cooperatives.

This document is a product of the Global Access to the Internet for All Research Group of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC