Subject: RFC 7919 on Negotiated Finite Field Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral Parameters for Transport Layer Security (TLS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 15:05:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7919

        Title:      Negotiated Finite Field Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral 
                    Parameters for Transport Layer Security (TLS) 
        Author:     D. Gillmor
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 61937
        Updates:    RFC 2246, RFC 4346, RFC 4492, RFC 5246

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tls-negotiated-ff-dhe-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7919

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7919

Traditional finite-field-based Diffie-Hellman (DH) key exchange
during the Transport Layer Security (TLS) handshake suffers from a
number of security, interoperability, and efficiency shortcomings.
These shortcomings arise from lack of clarity about which DH group
parameters TLS servers should offer and clients should accept.  This
document offers a solution to these shortcomings for compatible peers
by using a section of the TLS "Supported Groups Registry" (renamed
from "EC Named Curve Registry" by this document) to establish common
finite field DH parameters with known structure and a mechanism for
peers to negotiate support for these groups.

This document updates TLS versions 1.0 (RFC 2246), 1.1 (RFC 4346),
and 1.2 (RFC 5246), as well as the TLS Elliptic Curve Cryptography
(ECC) extensions (RFC 4492).

This document is a product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC