Subject: RFC 7929 on DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) Bindings for OpenPGP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:46:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7929

        Title:      DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities 
                    (DANE) Bindings for OpenPGP 
        Author:     P. Wouters
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 44695
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7929

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7929

OpenPGP is a message format for email (and file) encryption that
lacks a standardized lookup mechanism to securely obtain OpenPGP
public keys.  DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) is a
method for publishing public keys in DNS.  This document specifies a
DANE method for publishing and locating OpenPGP public keys in DNS
for a specific email address using a new OPENPGPKEY DNS resource
record.  Security is provided via Secure DNS, however the OPENPGPKEY
record is not a replacement for verification of authenticity via the
"web of trust" or manual verification.  The OPENPGPKEY record can be
used to encrypt an email that would otherwise have to be sent
unencrypted.

This document is a product of the DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC