Subject: RFC 7978 on Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): RBridge Channel Header Extension

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 14:38:19 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7978

        Title:      Transparent Interconnection of Lots of 
                    Links (TRILL): RBridge Channel Header Extension 
        Author:     D. Eastlake 3rd, M. Umair, Y. Li
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 54617
        Updates:    RFC 7178

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-channel-tunnel-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7978

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7978

The IETF TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) protocol
includes an optional mechanism (specified in RFC 7178) called RBridge
Channel for the transmission of typed messages between TRILL switches
in the same campus and the transmission of such messages between TRILL
switches and end stations on the same link.  This document specifies
extensions to the RBridge Channel protocol header to support two
features as follows: (1) a standard method to tunnel payloads whose
type can be indicated by Ethertype through encapsulation in RBridge
Channel messages; and (2) a method to support security facilities for
RBridge Channel messages.  This document updates RFC 7178.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC