Subject: RFC 7956 on Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL) Distributed Layer 3 Gateway

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 13:01:53 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7956

        Title:      Transparent Interconnection of Lots of 
                    Links (TRILL) Distributed Layer 3 Gateway 
        Author:     W. Hao, Y. Li,
                    A. Qu, M. Durrani,
                    P. Sivamurugan
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 62104
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-irb-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7956

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7956

The base TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)
protocol provides optimal pair-wise data frame forwarding for Layer 2
intra-subnet traffic but not for Layer 3 inter-subnet traffic.  A
centralized gateway solution is typically used for Layer 3
inter-subnet traffic forwarding but has the following issues:

1. Sub-optimum forwarding paths for inter-subnet traffic.

2. A centralized gateway that may need to support a very large
number of gateway interfaces in a Data Center, one per tenant per
Data Label used by that tenant, to provide interconnect functionality
for all the Layer 2 Virtual Networks in a TRILL campus.

3. A traffic bottleneck at the gateway.

This document specifies an optional TRILL distributed gateway
solution that resolves these centralized gateway issues.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC