Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel-08.txt> (Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 10:48:29 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Operations and Management Area
Working Group WG (opsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP'
  <draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-09-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP) defines a
   specification to encapsulate a station's data frames between the
   Wireless Transmission Point (WTP) and Access Controller (AC).
   Specifically, the station's IEEE 802.11 data frames can be either
   locally bridged or tunneled to the AC.  When tunneled, a CAPWAP data
   channel is used for tunneling.  In many deployments encapsulating
   data frames to an entity other than the AC (for example to an Access
   Router (AR)) is desirable.  Furthermore, it may also be desirable to
   use different tunnel encapsulation modes between the WTP and the
   Access Router.  This document defines extension to CAPWAP protocol
   for supporting this capability and refers to it as alternate tunnel
   encapsulation.  The alternate tunnel encapsulation allows 1) the WTP
   to tunnel non-management data frames to an endpoint different from
   the AC and 2) the WTP to tunnel using one of many known encapsulation
   types such as IP-IP, IP-GRE, CAPWAP.  The WTP may advertise support
   for alternate tunnel encapsulation during the discovery or join
   process and AC may select one of the supported alternate tunnel
   encapsulation types while configuring the WTP.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.