Subject: WG Review: SIDR Operations (sidrops)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 11:03:58 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Operations and Management Area.
The IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter
was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please
send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by
2016-10-10.

SIDR Operations (sidrops)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
  Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  TBD

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-sidrops/

The global deployment of RPKI, Origin Validation of BGP announcements
and BGPSEC, collectively called SIDR, is underway, creating an Internet
Routing System consisting of SIDR-aware and non-SIDR-aware networks.
This deployment must be properly handled to avoid the division of
the Internet into separate networks. sidrops works to ensure as secure a 
routing system as possible, through encouraged deployment of the SIDR 
technologies.

The SIDR Operations Working Group (sidrops) develops guidelines for
the operation of SIDR-aware networks, and provides operational guidance
on how to deploy and operate SIDR technologies in existing and new
networks.
  
In the space of sidr-ops, the term operators will encompass more than 
just network operators: CA Operators, Regional/National and Local 
Internet Registries, Relying Party software developers as well as the 
research/measurement community all have relevant operational experience 
or insight that this working group will consider in its work.

The main focuses of the SIDR Operations Working Group are to:
  
  o Discuss deployment and operational issues related to SIDR 
    technologies in networks which are part of the global routing 
    system.
  o Gather and discuss deployment experiences with the SIDR technologies 
    in networks which are part of the global routing system, as well as 
    the repositories and CA systems that also form part of the SIDR 
    architecture

The goals of the sidrops working group are to:

1.  Solicit input from all operators to identify
operational issues with a SIDR-aware Internet, and determine solutions
or workarounds to those issues.

2.  Solicit input from all operators to identify
issues with interaction  with the non-SIDR-aware Internet,
and to determine solutions or workarounds to those issues.

3. Operational olutions for identified issues should be developed
in sidr-ops and documented in informational or BCP documents.

These documents should document SIDR operational experience, including
interactions with non-SIDR-aware networks, the interfaces between SIDR-
aware and non-SIDR-aware networks, and the continued operational/
security impacts from non-SIDR-aware networks.

SIDR operational and deployment issues with Interdomain Routing 
Protocols are the primary responsibility of the IDR working group.  The
sidr-ops Working Group may provide input to that group, as needed, and
cooperate with that group in reviewing solutions to SIDR operational and
deployment problems.

Future work items within this scope will be adopted by the Working
Group if there is a substantial expression of interest from
the community and if the work (for example protocol maintenance 
clearly does not fit elsewhere in the IETF.

There must be a continuous expression of interest for the Working
Group to work on a particular work item. If there is no longer
sufficient interest in the Working Group in a work item, the item
may be removed from the list of Working Group items.

Milestones:
  Jul 2017 -  draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-rollover
  Jul 2017 - draft-ietf-sidr-rtr-keying
  Jul 2017 -  draft-ietf-sidr-route-server-rpki-light
  Jul 2017 - draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-tree-validation
  Sep 2017 - BGPSEC Ops document finalized.