Subject: Protocol Action: 'Multi-chassis Passive Optical Network (PON) Protection in MPLS' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pals-mc-pon-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 07:50:45 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multi-chassis Passive Optical Network (PON) Protection in MPLS'
  (draft-ietf-pals-mc-pon-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-mc-pon/

Technical Summary

MPLS is being deployed deeper into operator networks, often to or
past the access network node. Separately network access nodes such
as Passive Optical Network (PON) Optical Line Terminations (OLTs)
have evolved to support first-mile access protection, where one or
more physical OLTs provide first-mile diversity to the customer edge.
Multi-homing support is needed on the MPLS-enabled PON OLT to
provide resiliency for provided services.  This document describes
the multi-chassis PON protection architecture in MPLS and also
specifies the Inter-Chassis Communication Protocol (ICCP) extension
to support it.

Working Group Summary

The WG process was smooth.    

Document Quality

Four service providers were document authors or significant contributors,
driving the work. At least one vendor is in the process of planning an
implementation for use in mobile backhaul networks.
  
Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Andy Malis
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard