Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-13.txt> (Guidelines to support RTCP end-to-end in Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 08:24:57 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Sip Traversal Required for
Applications to Work WG (straw) to consider the following document:
- 'Guidelines to support RTCP end-to-end in Back-to-Back User Agents
   (B2BUAs)'
  <draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-13.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-10-10. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   SIP Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) are often envisaged to also be
   on the media path, rather than just intercepting signalling.  This
   means that B2BUAs often implement an RTP/RTCP stack as well, thus
   leading to separate multimedia sessions that the B2BUA correlates and
   bridges together.  If not disciplined, though, this behaviour can
   severely impact the communication experience, especially when
   statistics and feedback information contained in RTCP messages get
   lost because of mismatches in the reported data.

   This document defines the proper behaviour B2BUAs should follow when
   also acting on the signalling/media plane in order to preserve the
   end-to-end functionality of RTCP.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc7656: A Taxonomy of Semantics and Mechanisms for Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Sources (Informational - IETF stream)
Note that some of these references may already be listed in the acceptable Downref Registry.