Subject: RFC 7982 on Measurement of Round-Trip Time and Fractional Loss Using Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 22:00:41 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7982

        Title:      Measurement of Round-Trip Time and 
                    Fractional Loss Using Session Traversal Utilities 
                    for NAT (STUN) 
        Author:     P. Martinsen, 
                    T. Reddy,
                    D. Wing, 
                    V. Singh
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 19893
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tram-stun-path-data-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7982

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7982

A host with multiple interfaces needs to choose the best interface for
communication.  Oftentimes, this decision is based on a static
configuration and does not consider the path characteristics, which
may affect the user experience.

This document describes a mechanism for an endpoint to measure the
path characteristics fractional loss and RTT using Session Traversal
Utilities for NAT (STUN) messages.

This document is a product of the TURN Revised and Modernized Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC