Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Stream Identifier Source Description (SDES)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtext-rid-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 06:54:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Stream Identifier Source Description (SDES)'
  (draft-ietf-avtext-rid-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rid/

Technical Summary

   This document defines and registers two new RTCP Source Description
   items.  One, named RtpStreamId, is used for unique identification
   of RTP streams.  The other, RepairedRtpStreamId, can be used to
   identify which stream a redundancy RTP stream is to be used to
   repair.  It also defines and registers corresponding RTP Header
   Extension Elements.

Working Group Summary

   The document went through an initial last call, during which there
   were some objections to the design.  The authors and the objectors
   met together at the Buenos Aires IETF meeting, and worked out a
   slightly altered design which satisfied everyone.  A second last
   call produced only minor requests for changes, which were
   addressed, and several people confirmed that they had no issues
   with the draft.

Document Quality

  The document was reviewed by several AVText members, which resulted
  in the current design.  The mechanism defined by the document is
  expected to be mandated by WebRTC.  It is already implemented in
  Firefox and is planned to be implemented in Chrome.

Personnel

  The document Shepherd is Jonathan Lennox.  The Responsible Area
  Director is Ben Campbell.