Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-14.txt> (Authenticated Identity Management in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 14:40:43 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Secure Telephone Identity
Revisited WG (stir) to consider the following document:
- 'Authenticated Identity Management in the Session Initiation Protocol
   (SIP)'
  <draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-14.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-11-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The baseline security mechanisms in the Session Initiation Protocol
   (SIP) are inadequate for cryptographically assuring the identity of
   the end users that originate SIP requests, especially in an
   interdomain context.  This document defines a mechanism for securely
   identifying originators of SIP requests.  It does so by defining a
   SIP header field for conveying a signature used for validating the
   identity, and for conveying a reference to the credentials of the
   signer.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2562/