Subject: WG Action: Formed Security Events (secevent)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 08:55:26 -0700

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Security Area. For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chair.

Security Events (secevent)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors:
  Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
  Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/id-event
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/id-event/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-secevent/

Many HTTP web services and APIs depend on a web security infrastructure
that:
  * identifies security subjects and regulates their access to services
  * and provides profile and rights information to applications.

Examples are systems that leverage user-agent session cookies
(RFC6265), and OAuth2 (RFC6749). In order to prevent or mitigate
security risks, or to provide out-of-band information as 
necessary, these systems need to share security event messages. 
For example, an OAuth authorization server, having received a 
token revocation request (RFC7009) may need to inform affected
resource servers; a cloud provider may wish to inform another 
cloud provider of suspected fraudulent use of identity 
information; an identity provider may wish to signal a session 
logout to a relying party and does not wish to rely solely upon 
clearing a session cookie.

It is expected that several identity and security working groups and
organizations will use Identity Event Tokens to describe area-specific
events such as: SCIM Provisioning Events, OpenID RISC Events, and
OpenID Connect Backchannel Logout, among others.

The Security Events working group will produce a standards-track Event 
Token specification that includes:
 - A JWT extension for expressing security events
 - A syntax that enables event-specific data to be conveyed
This Event Token specification will be event transport independent.

The working group will also develop a simple standards-track Event 
Delivery specification that includes:
 - A mechanism for delivering events using HTTP POST (push)
 - Metadata for describing event feeds
 - Methods for subscribing to and managing event feeds
 - Methods for validating event feed subscriptions

Milestones:
  Feb 2017 - Initial adoption of event token and event delivery drafts
  Jun 2017 - WG last call of event token draft
  Aug 2017 - Event token draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard
  Nov 2017 - WG last call of event delivery draft
  Jan 2018 - Event delivery draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard
  Mar 2018 - Recharter or Conclude