Subject: Protocol Action: 'Unified IPv4-in-IPv6 Softwire CPE: A DHCPv6-based Prioritization Mechanism' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-softwire-unified-cpe-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 06:18:05 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Unified IPv4-in-IPv6 Softwire CPE: A DHCPv6-based Prioritization
   Mechanism'
  (draft-ietf-softwire-unified-cpe-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Softwires Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-unified-cpe/

Technical Summary

In IPv6-only provider networks, transporting IPv4 packets
encapsulated in IPv6 is a common solution to the problem of IPv4
service continuity. A number of differing functional approaches
have been developed for this, each having their own specific
characteristics. As these approaches share a similar functional
architecture and use the same data plane mechanisms, this memo
describes a specification whereby a single CPE can interwork with
all of the standardized and proposed approaches to providing
encapsulated IPv4 in IPv6 services.

Working Group Summary

   This document was discussed in depth and well-reviewed.
   The WG achieved the consensus to publish this document.

Document Quality

There are currently no known implementations, however an operator/vendor 
has one scheduled for development later this year.

Personnel

   Yong Cui, is the Document Shepherd.
   Terry Manderson is the Responsible AD.

IANA Note

  This document needs IANA to assign a new DHCPv6 option code
OPTION_V6_S46_PRIORITY.