Subject: Protocol Action: 'Curve25519 and Curve448 for IKEv2 Key Agreement' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-safecurves-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:00:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Curve25519 and Curve448 for IKEv2 Key Agreement'
  (draft-ietf-ipsecme-safecurves-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-safecurves/

Technical Summary

  This document describes the use of Curve25519 and Curve448 for
  ephemeral key exchange in the Internet Key Exchange (IKEv2) protocol.

Working Group Summary

The document did not get many comments in the IPsecME working group.
However, this document mostly reuses RFC7748 content defining the
Diffie-Hellman groups, as such, this was expected. This document
defines how those groups are used in the IKE.

Document Quality

Although there are no implementations yet, some are planned and are pending on the IANA allocations.

Personnel

Kathleen Moriarty is the responsible Area Director. 
Tero Kivinen is the document shepherd.

IANA Note

  IANA is requested to assign two values from the IKEv2 "Transform Type
   4 - Diffie-Hellman Group Transform IDs" registry.