Subject: Document Action: 'Multi-Path Time Synchronization' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:41:45 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multi-Path Time Synchronization'
  (draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization-07.txt) as Experimental
RFC

This document is the product of the Timing over IP Connection and
Transfer of Clock Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization/

Technical Summary

   Clock synchronization protocols are very widely used in IP-based
   networks. The Network Time Protocol (NTP) has been commonly deployed
   for many years, and the last few years have seen an increasingly
   rapid deployment of the Precision Time Protocol (PTP). As time-
   sensitive applications evolve, clock accuracy requirements are
   becoming increasingly stringent, requiring the time synchronization
   protocols to provide high accuracy. Slave Diversity is a recently
   introduced approach, where the master and slave clocks (also known as
   server and client) are connected through multiple network paths, and
   the slave combines the information received through all paths to
   obtain a higher clock accuracy compared to the conventional one-path
   approach.  This document describes a multi-path approach to PTP and
   NTP over IP networks, allowing the protocols to run concurrently over
   multiple communication paths between the master and slave clocks.

Working Group Summary

The document has clear working group consensus for publication, and has 
been reviewed by several WG participants since its initial adoption as a 
working group item. 

Document Quality

There have been multiple reviews of this document within the WG and it 
has been revised to address those reviews.

Personnel

Karen O'Donoghue is the document shepherd.  Suresh Krishnan is the 
responsible Area Director.