Subject: RFC 7989 on End-to-End Session Identification in IP-Based Multimedia Communication Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:17:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7989

        Title:      End-to-End Session Identification in IP-Based 
                    Multimedia Communication Networks 
        Author:     P. Jones, G. Salgueiro,
                    C. Pearce, P. Giralt
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      45
        Characters: 103241
        Obsoletes:  RFC 7329

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-27.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7989

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7989

This document describes an end-to-end session identifier for use in
IP-based multimedia communication systems that enables endpoints,
intermediary devices, and management systems to identify a session
end-to-end, associate multiple endpoints with a given multipoint
conference, track communication sessions when they are redirected,
and associate one or more media flows with a given communication
session.  While the identifier is intended to work across multiple
protocols, this document describes its usage in the Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP).

This document also describes a backwards-compatibility mechanism for
an existing session identifier implementation (RFC 7329) that is
sufficiently different from the procedures defined in this document.

This document obsoletes RFC 7329.

This document is a product of the INtermediary-safe SIP session ID Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC