Subject: Protocol Action: 'First-hop router selection by hosts in a multi-prefix network' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 11:47:12 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'First-hop router selection by hosts in a multi-prefix network'
  (draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host/

Technical Summary

  This document describes expected IPv6 host behavior in a network that
  has more than one prefix and next-hop routers to choose from, and 
  each prefix allocated by an upstream network/router also implements 
  BCP 38 (RFC2827) ingress filtering. The document also applies to other 
  deployment cases such as the usage of stateful firewalls. The solution 
  described in the document may interact with the RFC6724 source address 
  selection Rule 5.5. This concerns the situation where a multihomed 
  host has multiple provider allocated  addresses (formed from a Router 
  Advertisement advertised prefixes received from multiple but not 
  necessarily all next-hop routers) and the host should know to which 
  router to send its traffic sourced from a given source address.

Working Group Summary

  The document had the strong support of the 6man WG. There were no 
  particular points of controversy.

Document Quality

  The solution described in the document is already implemented in some 
  form by some popular operating system IP stacks. 
  The document does not contain MIBs, Media Types or other expert review 
  requiring material.

Personnel

  Jouni Korhonen is the document shepherd. Suresh Krishnan is the 
  responsible AD.