Subject: Last Call: <draft-leiba-3967upd-downref-00.txt> (Updating when Standards Track Documents may Refer Normatively to Documents at a Lower Level) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 08:11:54 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Updating when Standards Track Documents may Refer Normatively to
   Documents at a Lower Level'
  <draft-leiba-3967upd-downref-00.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-11-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 3967 specifies a process for allowing normative references to
   documents at lower maturity levels ("downrefs"), which involves
   calling out the downref explicitly in the last call notice.  That
   requirement has proven to be unnecessarily strict, and this document
   updates RFC 3967, allowing the IESG more flexibility in accepting
   downrefs in Standards Track documents.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-3967upd-downref/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-3967upd-downref/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.