Subject: Protocol Action: 'Protecting Internet Key Exchange Protocol version 2 (IKEv2) Implementations from Distributed Denial of Service Attacks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ddos-protection-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 14:49:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Protecting Internet Key Exchange Protocol version 2 (IKEv2)
   Implementations from Distributed Denial of Service Attacks'
  (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ddos-protection-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ddos-protection/

Technical Summary

 This document is a standards track submission that recommends 
implementation and configuration best practices for Internet Key 
Exchange Protocol version 2 (IKEv2) Responders, to allow them to resist 
Denial of Service and Distributed Denial of Service attacks.  
Additionally, the document introduces a new mechanism called "Client 
Puzzles" that help accomplish this task.

Working Group Summary

The document was reviewed by several regular WG participants. Changes 
suggested by the chairs and participants resulted in a good deal of 
discussion and revisions to improve the document. The submitted draft 
represents solid WG consensus.

Document Quality

 No implementations are currently known, but multiple WG members have  
expressed an interest in implementing the guidance in this document.

Personnel

 Kathleen Moriarty is the responsible Area Director. 
 Dave Waltermire is the document shepherd.

IANA Note

  This document adds a new entry to the 'IKEv2 Payload Types' registry.