Subject: WG Action: Formed SIDR Operations (sidrops)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 15:49:39 -0800

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Operations and Management Area. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

SIDR Operations (sidrops)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Keyur Patel <[email-masked]>
  Chris Morrow <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
  Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidrops
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/sidrops/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-sidrops/

The global deployment of SIDR, consisting of RPKI, Origin Validation of 
BGP announcements, and BGPSEC, is underway, creating an Internet
Routing System consisting of SIDR-aware and non-SIDR-aware networks.
This deployment must be properly handled to avoid the division of
the Internet into separate networks. Sidrops is responsible for 
encouraging deployment of theSIDR technologies while ensuring as secure 
of a global routing system, as possible, during the transition.

The SIDR Operations Working Group (sidrops) develops guidelines for
the operation of SIDR-aware networks, and provides operational guidance
on how to deploy and operate SIDR technologies in existing and new 
networks.

In the space of sidrops, the term operators will encompass a range
of operational experience: CA Operators, Regional/National and Local
Internet Registries, Relying Party software developers as well as the
research/measurement community all have relevant operational experience
or insight that this working group will consider in its work.

The sidrops working group is focused on deployment and operational 
issues and experiences with SIDR technologies that are part of the 
global routing system, as well as the repositories and CA systems that 
form part of the SIDR architecture.

The goals of the sidrops working group are to:

1. Solicit input from a range of operators to identify operational 
issues with a SIDR-aware Internet, and determine solutions or 
workarounds to those issues.

2. Solicit input from all operators to identify
issues with interaction with the non-SIDR-aware Internet,
and to determine solutions or workarounds to those issues.

3. Develop operational solutions for identified issues in sidrops and
document them in informational or BCP documents.

These documents should document SIDR operational experience, including
interactions with non-SIDR-aware networks, the interfaces between SIDR-
aware and non-SIDR-aware networks, and the continued operational/
security impacts from non-SIDR-aware networks.

SIDR operational and deployment issues with Interdomain Routing
Protocols as well as BGPSEC maintenance and extension are the
primary responsibility of the IDR working group. The sidrops Working
Group may provide input to that group, as needed, and cooperate with
that group in reviewing solutions to SIDR operational and deployment
problems.

Future work items within this scope will be adopted by the Working
Group if there is a substantial expression of interest from
the community and if the work (for example protocol maintenance)
clearly does not fit elsewhere in the IETF.

There must be a continuous expression of interest for the Working
Group to work on a particular work item. If there is no longer
sufficient interest in the Working Group in a work item, the item
may be removed from the list of Working Group items.

Milestones:
  Jul 2017 -  draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-rollover
  Jul 2017 - draft-ietf-sidr-rtr-keying
  Jul 2017 -  draft-ietf-sidr-route-server-rpki-light
  Jul 2017 - draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-tree-validation
  Sep 2017 - BGPSEC Ops document finalized.