Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pals-endpoint-fast-protection-04.txt> (PW Endpoint Fast Failure Protection) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 10:19:24 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled
Services WG (pals) to consider the following document:
- 'PW Endpoint Fast Failure Protection'
  <draft-ietf-pals-endpoint-fast-protection-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-12-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies a fast mechanism for protecting pseudowires
   against egress endpoint failures, including egress attachment circuit
   failure, egress PE failure, multi-segment PW terminating PE failure,
   and multi-segment PW switching PE failure.  Operating on the basis of
   multi-homed CE, redundant PWs, upstream label assignment and context
   specific label switching, the mechanism enables local repair to be
   performed by the router upstream adjacent to a failure.  The router
   can restore a PW in the order of tens of milliseconds, by rerouting
   traffic around the failure to a protector through a pre-established
   bypass tunnel.  Therefore, the mechanism can be used to reduce
   traffic loss before global repair reacts to the failure and the
   network converges on the topology changes due to the failure.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-endpoint-fast-protection/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-endpoint-fast-protection/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2825/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2243/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2805/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2262/