Subject: IAB report to the community before IETF 97

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 00:26:18 -0500

Dear colleagues,

This is the usual IAB report to the community about our activities
since the previous meeting (in this case, since IETF 96 in Berlin).
As ever, we hope that this form allows you to prepare topics you might
want to discuss during the open mic. But of course, if you have views
you want to make known by email, we're easy to reach: send mail to
[email-masked] to reach our public discussion list, and
[email-masked] to reach just the IAB.

The IAB has a few chartered roles. We confirm the appointments to the
IESG and perform standards process oversight and handle appeals. We
also perform architectural oversight (including appointing the IRTF
Chair), we manage the RFC series and the IETF's relationship with IANA,
and we handle liaisons both to ISOC and to other organizations. We try
to ensure that anything we do is part of one of these areas of
responsibility, and we try to make sure these are all covered.

Here's what we've been doing since IETF 96.  You can find mention of
each of these on the IAB pages at https://www.iab.org (where there's
more background, too):

    • RFC Format Changes.  You've been hearing for some time about
      these, and in August the IAB approved the documents to let them
      take effect.  We'll start to see the changes rolling out into
      the series soon.  Not all the changes will be visible in every
      stream right away, but there's reason to believe that the IAB,
      as the body with oversight of the series, will adopt some of the
      new features early. (RFC Series)

    • New IRTF Chair.  We appointed Allison Mankin as the new IRTF
      chair, to replace the departing Lars Eggert.  We appreciate
      Lars's years of service and Allison's willingness to take on
      this role.  We also appreciate the other skilled volunteers who
      made our selection so difficult.  Allison's term actually begins
      in March, but the early appointment allows an overlap with the
      end of Lars's term so that the change is smooth.  (architectural
      oversight, IRTF chair)

    • Appointment to RZERC.  The IANA transition created a Root Zone
      Evolution Review Committee.  We appointed Jim Reid to it.  We
      thank him for his service and the other volunteers for being
      willing to serve. (IANA, external liaisons)

    • Appointment to ICANN Nomcom.  We re-appointed Tim Wicinski to
      the ICANN Nomcom.  We have heard from previous appointees that
      there is a significant advantage to re-appointment to this
      position, so we thank Tim for being willing to take this
      appointment on again.

    • Appointment to ICANN Technical Liaison Group.  ICANN maintains a
      group that advises the Board on technical matters pertinent to
      ICANN's activities.  We re-appointed Paul Wouters to this
      position. In the aftermath of the IANA transition, there may be
      some demand for advice from the TLG, so we appreciate Paul's
      willingness to stand again.

    • IAOC appointment selection in process.  In alternate years, the
      IAB appoints one IAOC member for a two-year term.  The appointee
      is also as a consequence a Trustee of the IETF Trust.  The IAB
      is soliciting comments on the candidates, until 30 November.
      See the call for feedback at
      https://www.iab.org/2016/11/03/please-comment-on-iaoc-candidates-for-iab-selection/.

    • [IETF Trust CCG appointments -- hold place here]

    • Statement about the IANA stewardship transition.  The IAB put
      out one final statement in support of the IANA transition near
      the end of that process.

    • Statement about IPv6.  The IAB made a statement about the need
      for IPv6 support, intended particularly for other SDOs whose
      work needs to interoperate with IETF standards.

        DOCUMENTS

You can always find the documents the IAB has adopted and is working
on at https://datatracker.ietf.org/stream/iab.  This report leaves out
discussing any to do with the RFC format changes, because while they
still appear in the list, they're approved and just working their way
through to publication.

There are in process some workshop reports:

draft-iab-carisreport-00
    Coordinating Attack Response at Internet Scale (CARIS) Workshop
    Report (in community review)
draft-iab-iotsi-workshop-00
    Report from the Internet of Things (IoT) Semantic Interoperability
    (IOTSI) Workshop 2016
draft-iab-iotsu-workshop-00
    Report from the Internet of Things (IoT) Software Update (IoTSU)
    Workshop 2016

Also, draft-nrooney-marnew-report-02 [IAB Workshop on Managing Radio
Networks in an Encrypted World (MaRNEW) Report] has actually been
adopted by the IAB, but the iab- filename version hasn't been uploaded
yet so it does not appear in the datatracker as an IAB stream document
at the moment.  That will likely change soon.

We have an administrative procedure document in community review:

draft-iab-rzerc-01
    IETF ICANN Root Zone Evolution Review Committee Appointment
    Procedures

The other documents are related to the IAB's architectural functions:

draft-iab-privsec-confidentiality-mitigations-08
    Confidentiality in the Face of Pervasive Surveillance
draft-iab-protocol-transitions-03
    Out With the Old and In With the New: Planning for Protocol
    Transitions
draft-iab-web-pki-problems-05
    Improving the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) for the World Wide
    Web

Two of these come from the IAB Privacy and Security program.

    PROGRAMS

The IAB organizes its work, for the most part, into programs.  There
are basically two classes: management programs and architectural
programs.  The former are how we handle the oversight of various
things, and the latter are where we do architectural work.  The former
are expected to last as long as the IAB continues to have that
oversight function; the latter last until the IAB has come to a
conclusion on the relevant group of topics, and we expect them to wind
down afterwards.  Programs are listed at
https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/.  In general, programs and
their mailing lists are closed to members.  But also as a general
rule, there is a public list associated with architectural programs
that is public.  For subscription instructions, see
https://www.iab.org/iab-mailing-lists/.  

We review programs periodically.  If you've read previous reports, you
will know that we had a very aggressive period of reviewing everything
to ensure we were up to date.  Now that that's complete, we have
reduced the frequency but are still reviewing architectural programs
so that they are examined more often than annually.  The Privacy and
Security Program has the two documents mentioned above, and is also
deciding what to do with draft-hardie-privsec-metadata-insertion.  The
program will also meet this week to discuss whether it needs to be
re-scoped (or perhaps whether it is finished) once these documents are
done.

We added a new program since IETF 96: the Plenary Planning Program, to
ensure that the IAB component of the IETF plenary is improved.
It will meet during IETF 97, as will the Internationalization Program,
the Names and Identifiers Program, the Stack Evolution Program, and
the RSOC.

During the time leading up to the IANA stewardship transition, it
became clear that a body had come into existence that was originally
supposed to be informal: IPROC (IETF Protocol Registries Oversight
Committee).  To tidy things up, the IAB created a program that was
also a subcommittee of the IAOC and that would serve this role.  Now
that the new Supplemental Agreement is in place between the IETF and
ICANN, this formalism is no longer needed.  In keeping with the
principle, "Just enough formality to get things done," we expect to
wind this program down as soon as the IAB and IAOC can co-ordinate
it.

    A RETURN TO ARCHITECTURE

Finally, we can report the happy news that the IANA stewardship
transition did happen as scheduled on 1 October 2016.  There was some
turbulence in that plan in the period since IETF 96, but in the end it
worked out.  This means that the IAB can spend less time on
administrative issues like IANA and return some of its attention to
the architectural issues facing the Internet.  We hope that the
plenary discussion at IETF 97 is a good way to mark that turn of
attention.

Respectfully submitted,

Andrew Sullivan
For the IAB

-- 
IAB Chair (Andrew Sullivan)
[email-masked]

---

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 18:03:30 -0500

Dear colleagues,

My apologies for the error in this report.  There was a placeholder
about the "IETF Trust CCG".  I did not fix it before sending.

As part of the IANA transition, there is some IPR that moves from
ICANN to the IETF Trust.  In order to oversee the use of that IPR,
each operational community appoints three representatives to a
Community Coordination Group that advises the Trust on the use of the
IPR on behalf of the respective community.

In September, the IAB agreed to appoint Alissa Cooper, Ted Hardie, and
Russ Housley to the IANA IPR customer committee.  This is minuted in
our meeting minutes from
https://www.iab.org/documents/minutes/minutes-2016/iab-minutes-2016-09-28/.
I should have sent an announcement about this at the time, but it
appears that I failed to do so.  We regard this as an interim
appointment until we can formalise rules for how we'll undertake these
appointments in the future.

I regret not sending the announcement, and the subsequent error in
this report.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan