Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-16.txt> (Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 19:13:10 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers'
  <draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-16.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-12-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document changes the recommended default IID generation scheme
   for cases where SLAAC is used to generate a stable IPv6 address.  It
   recommends using the mechanism specified in RFC7217 in such cases,
   and recommends against embedding stable link-layer addresses in IPv6
   Interface Identifiers.  It formally updates RFC2464, RFC2467,
   RFC2470, RFC2491, RFC2492, RFC2497, RFC2590, RFC3146, RFC3572,
   RFC4291, RFC4338, RFC4391, RFC5072, and RFC5121.  This document does
   not change any existing recommendations concerning the use of
   temporary addresses as specified in RFC 4941.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.