Subject: Protocol Action: 'Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Extension for Compression' to Proposed Standard (draft-murchison-nntp-compress-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 08:59:45 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Extension for Compression'
  (draft-murchison-nntp-compress-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-murchison-nntp-compress/

Technical Summary

   This document defines an extension to the Network News Transport
   Protocol (NNTP) that allows a connection to be effectively and
   efficiently compressed between an NNTP client and server.

   This extension is similar to what is already available in IMAP.

Working Group Summary

   The draft was reviewed by a few people in <news:news.software.nntp> and the
   UTA WG (but the document is not a work item of the UTA WG, because it is not
   in the scope of his charter).

Document Quality

   The document describes a useful extension to NNTP, and has already been shown
   to be interoperable (implemented in at least a news server and a news client).

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Michael Baeuerle <mailto:[email-masked]>
   (The "ae" in "Baeuerle" is an ASCII transcription for the Umlaut U+00E4)
   Area Director    : Alexey Melnikov <mailto:[email-masked]>