Subject: Protocol Action: 'Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Via header field parameter to indicate received realm' to Proposed Standard (draft-holmberg-dispatch-received-realm-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 08:58:10 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Via header field parameter to
   indicate received realm'
  (draft-holmberg-dispatch-received-realm-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-holmberg-dispatch-received-realm/

Technical Summary

  This specification defines a new Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Via
  header field parameter, "received-realm", which allows a SIP entity acting
  as an entry point to a transit network to indicate from which adjacent
  upstream network a SIP request is received, using a network realm value
  associated with the adjacent network. This is needed in some network
  architectures to determine what processing should be applied to the request.

Working Group Summary

  This document was brought to the DISPATCH working group in June of 2015.
  Several WG participants expressed interest in seeing the work progress to
  publication, and a follow-up conversation was held at IETF 93 to determine
  how the work should proceed.  The outcome of those conversations was that
  the mechanism being described was not in the charter of any existing working
  group, nor was it of broad enough applicability to warrant creating a new
  working group. The DISPATCH working group chose to dispatch this as
  sponsored by the area director.

Document Quality

  This mechanism was introduced to address use cases identified by 3GPP for
  transit networks providing telecom-style services to SIP calls in an IMS
  context. The mechanism has been cited by 3GPP's TS 24.229 and incorporated as
  part of its procedures since March 2015. This presumably will lead to broad
  implementation of the mechanism by IMS equipment vendors.

  The original mechanism did not contain any authentication for information that
  was subsequently used for service processing. In response to security
  concerns, raised by Adam Roach and Richard Barnes, the mechanism was expanded
  to incorporate a JWS-based authentication of the realm being asserted.

Personnel

    Adam Roach is the document shepherd. Ben Campbell is the area director
    sponsoring publication.