Subject: Protocol Action: 'The file URI Scheme' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 08:46:46 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The file URI Scheme'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the ART Area General Applications Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the "file" Uniform Resource Identifier (URI)  scheme,
   replacing the definition in RFC 1738.  It defines a common syntax which is
   intended to interoperate across  the broad spectrum of existing usages.
   It also  notes  some other current practices around the use of file URIs.

Working Group Summary

   The work was done in the APPSWG Working group and has received
   significant community comment, with multiple revisions resulting.
   Support for the work appears solid.

   This document went through two WGLCs.  The first one yielded some
   input but the document shepherd review identified numerous issues
   that resulted in a flurry of other review traffic and document revisions.
   A second WGLC was then done that yielded no feedback at all.
   WG Chair/Shepherd suspect this is a result of wandered interest
   (since APPSAWG is closing) rather than any indication that the document
   is not sound or does not have consensus to proceed.]

Document Quality

   Document development had some coordination with the W3C community,
   which can be expected to use this work.

   There are multiple implementations of this URI scheme, most notably
   different browsers.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd:  Dave Crocker
   Process management:  Murray Kucherawy
   Responsible AD: Alexey Melnikov