Subject: Protocol Action: 'Guidelines for HTTP-to-CoAP Mapping Implementations' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 08:40:50 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Guidelines for HTTP-to-CoAP Mapping Implementations'
  (draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Constrained RESTful Environments
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-http-mapping/

Technical Summary

This document provides reference information for implementing a cross-
protocol network proxy that performs translation from the HTTP protocol 
to CoAP (Constrained Application Protocol). This will enable a HTTP 
client to access resources on a CoAP server through the proxy. This 
document describes how a HTTP request is mapped to a CoAP request, and 
then how a CoAP response is mapped back to a HTTP response. This 
includes guidelines for URI mapping, media type mapping and additional 
proxy implementation issues. This document covers the Reverse, Forward 
and Interception cross-protocol proxy cases.

Working Group Summary

The working group has very good consensus on this document as it is. 
HTTP mapping aspects raised by future CoAP extensions will then be 
addressed by these extensions or in separate documents.

Document Quality

There are multiple implementations of the mapping specified in this 
document. See the shepherding write-up.

Media Type review was requested. See <https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/
web/media-types/current/msg00817.html>.

Personnel

Jaime Jiménez is the Document Shepherd. Alexey Melnikov is the 
Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 8.5 (change section 6.2.4 of [RFC7230] to section 6.5):

OLD:
   If the CoAP server takes a long time in responding, the HTTP client
   or any other proxy in between may timeout.  Further discussion of
   timeouts in HTTP is available in Section 6.2.4 of [RFC7230].

NEW:

   If the CoAP server takes a long time in responding, the HTTP client
   or any other proxy in between may timeout.  Further discussion of
   timeouts in HTTP is available in Section 6.5 of [RFC7230].