Subject: Protocol Action: 'Updating when Standards Track Documents may Refer Normatively to Documents at a Lower Level' to Best Current Practice (draft-leiba-3967upd-downref-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 09:26:39 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Updating when Standards Track Documents may Refer Normatively to
   Documents at a Lower Level'
  (draft-leiba-3967upd-downref-03.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-3967upd-downref/

Technical Summary

   RFC 3967 specifies a process for allowing normative references to
   documents at lower maturity levels ("downrefs"), which involves
   calling out the downref explicitly in the last call notice.  That
   requirement has proven to be unnecessarily strict, and this document
   updates RFC 3967, allowing the IESG more flexibility in accepting
   downrefs in Standards Track documents.

Working Group Summary

   This is an AD sponsored draft. Comments prior to and during 
   IETF last call have been favorable.

Document Quality

   Given that this is a process draft, the implementers would be
   the IESG itself.

Personnel

   The responsible AD is Ben Campbell.