Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-pki-profiles-18.txt> (A Profile for BGPsec Router Certificates, Certificate Revocation Lists, and Certification Requests) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 08:49:11 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Secure Inter-Domain Routing WG
(sidr) to consider the following document:
- 'A Profile for BGPsec Router Certificates, Certificate Revocation
   Lists, and Certification Requests'
  <draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-pki-profiles-18.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-12-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines a standard profile for X.509 certificates used
   to enable validation of Autonomous System (AS) paths in the Border
   Gateway Protocol (BGP), as part of an extension to that protocol
   known as BGPsec.  BGP is the standard for inter-domain routing in the
   Internet; it is the "glue" that holds the Internet together. BGPsec
   is being developed as one component of a solution that addresses the
   requirement to provide security for BGP.  The goal of BGPsec is to
   provide full AS path validation based on the use of strong
   cryptographic primitives.  The end-entity (EE) certificates specified
   by this profile are issued (to routers within an Autonomous System).
   Each of these certificates is issued under a Resource Public Key
   Infrastructure (RPKI) Certification Authority (CA) certificate.
   These CA certificates and EE certificates both contain the AS
   Identifier Delegation extension.  An EE certificate of this type
   asserts that the router(s) holding the corresponding private key are
   authorized to emit secure route advertisements on behalf of the
   AS(es) specified in the certificate.  This document also profiles the
   format of certification requests, and specifies Relying Party (RP)
   certificate path validation procedures for these EE certificates.
   This document extends the RPKI; therefore, this documents updates the
   RPKI Resource Certificates Profile (RFC 6487).

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-pki-profiles/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-pki-profiles/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.