Subject: Protocol Action: 'EdDSA for DNSSEC' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-curdle-dnskey-eddsa-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 07:23:07 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'EdDSA for DNSSEC'
  (draft-ietf-curdle-dnskey-eddsa-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the CURves, Deprecating and a Little more
Encryption Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-dnskey-eddsa/

Technical Summary

  This document describes how to specify EdDSA keys and signatures in
  DNS Security (DNSSEC).  It uses the Edwards-curve Digital Security
  Algorithm (EdDSA) with the choice of two curves, Ed25519 and Ed448.

Working Group Summary

  The definition of the signature format was straight forward as it already 
  exists in DNSSEC. In addition the computation and verification of the 
  signature is defined in [I-D.irtf-cfrg-eddsa].
  
  The only discussion was upon the use of using Ed25519ctx versus 
  Ed25519, but the consensus was reached easily. The same discussion 
  also occurred for draft-ietf-ipsecme-eddsa and draft-ietf-curdle-pkix 
  with the same conclusion. The absence of context follows the 
  recommendations of Section 10.3 of I-D.irtf-cfrg-eddsa and avoids 
  unnecessarily complexity. 

Document Quality

  The document has been reviewed carefully. Examples have been 
  generated with prototypes. Although no implementations have 
  been reported in the document, there are ongoing effort. 

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Daniel Migault,  AD: Stephen Farrell