Subject: Protocol Action: 'BGPsec Protocol Specification' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-22.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 06:16:11 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BGPsec Protocol Specification'
  (draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-22.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol/

Technical Summary

   This document describes BGPsec, an extension to the Border Gateway
   Protocol (BGP) that provides security for the path of autonomous
   systems through which a BGP update message passes.  BGPsec is
   implemented via an optional non-transitive BGP path attribute that
   carries a digital signature produced by each autonomous system that
   propagates the update message.

Working Group Summary

   This document has been discussed in the working group since 2011. The WG
   has been asked periodically to confirm continued interest, and has each
   time indicated that the work is valuable and should continue.  The idr WG
   has also provided feedback and input.

Document Quality

   The work mentioned here is applicable to all inter-domain BGP operators.
   BGPsec has been implemented in BIRD and Quagga, two popular open source
   BGP daemons. The BIRD community explicitly agreed to integrate this
   extension in the main branch.

Personnel

   Shepherd: Matthias Waehlisch
   Responsible AD: Alvaro Retana

RFC Editor Note

This document is the base of a series being considered by the IESG; most are titled draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-*.  This document should be published with the lowest RFC number, and be followed with consecutive RFC numbers by draft-ietf-sidr-as-migration and draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops.  All other related documents don't require consecutive numbers.