Subject: WG Action: Formed Concise Binary Object Representation Maintenance and Extensions (cbor)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 09:07:37 -0800

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

Concise Binary Object Representation Maintenance and Extensions (cbor)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>
  Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cbor
  Archive:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/cbor/current/maillist.html

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-cbor/

Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR, RFC 7049) extends the
JavaScript Object Notation (JSON, RFC 7159) data interchange format to 
include binary data and an extensibility model, using a binary 
representation format that is easy to parse correctly. It has been 
picked up by a number of IETF efforts (e.g., CORE, ANIMA GRASP) as a 
message format.

The CBOR working group will update RFC 7049 to fix verified errata. 
Security issues and clarifications may be addressed, but changes to the 
document will ensure backward compatibility for popular deployed 
codebases. The resulting document will be targeted at becoming an 
Internet Standard.

Similar to the way ABNF (RFC 5234/7405) can be used to describe the set 
of valid messages in a text representation, it would be useful if 
protocol specifications could use a description format for the data in 
CBOR-encoded messages. The CBOR data definition language (CDDL, based on

draft-greevenbosch-appsawg-cbor-cddl) is a proposal for such a 
description technique that has already been used in CORE, ANIMA, CDNI, 
and efforts outside the IETF. The CBOR WG will complete the development 
of this specification by creating an Informational or Standards Track 
RFC.  The document should specify its applicability statement in 
relationship to YANG data modelling language.

In parallel to the work on CDDL, the WG will examine the CBOR extension 
for tagging of Typed Arrays (based on draft-jroatch-cbor-tags) and the 
CBOR extension for tagging of Object Identifiers and UUIDs (based on
draft-bormann-cbor-tags-oid) that use CBOR's extensibility mechanisms to

provide additional data types as used in certain applications. Where 
these proposals are deemed useful and do not require significant new 
development, the CBOR WG will complete these specifications as well. The

WG will recharter before working on any further CBOR extensions.

Milestones:
  May 2017 - Submit rfc7049bis to IESG as a Proposed Standard
  Oct 2017 - Submit CDDL to IESG as an Informational or Proposed Standard
RFC