Subject: Call for Comment: <draft-iab-protocol-transitions> (Out With the Old and In With the New: Planning for Protocol Transitions)

From: IAB Executive Administrative Manager <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 17:17:21 -0800

This is an announcement of an IETF-wide Call for Comment on 
draft-iab-protocol-transitions-05.

The document is being considered for publication as an Informational RFC 
within the IAB stream, and is available for inspection at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-protocol-transitions/

The Call for Comment will last until 2017-02-01. Please send comments to
[email-masked] and [email-masked].

Abstract

   Over the many years since the introduction of the Internet Protocol,
   we have seen a number of transitions from one protocol or technology
   to another, throughout the protocol stack.  Many protocols and
   technologies were not designed to enable smooth transition to
   alternatives or to easily deploy extensions, and thus some
   transitions, such as the introduction of IPv6, have been difficult.
   This document attempts to summarize some basic principles to enable
   future transitions, and also summarizes what makes for a good
   transition plan.