Subject: Protocol Action: 'Remote-LFA Node Protection and Manageability' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-rtgwg-rlfa-node-protection-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:16:04 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Remote-LFA Node Protection and Manageability'
  (draft-ietf-rtgwg-rlfa-node-protection-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Routing Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-rlfa-node-protection/

Technical Summary

   The loop-free alternates computed following the current Remote-LFA
   specification guarantees only link-protection.  The resulting Remote-
   LFA nexthops (also called PQ-nodes), may not guarantee node-
   protection for all destinations being protected by it.

   This document describes an extension to the Remote Loop-Free based IP
   fast reroute mechanisms described in RFC7490, that describes
   procedures for determining if a given PQ-node provides node-
   protection for a specific destination or not.  The document also
   shows how the same procedure can be utilised for collection of
   complete characteristics for alternate paths.  Knowledge about the
   characteristics of all alternate path is precursory to apply operator
   defined policy for eliminating paths not fitting constraints.

Working Group Summary

There was strong concensus for this document by the working group, the routing 
directorate review by Mike Shand and comments by Levente Csikor helped resolve 
some earlier issues with the drafts readability.

Document Quality

The document is of high quality and there is an existing implementation that has been deployed.

Personnel

Jon Mitchell, Document Shepherd
Alia Atlas, Responsible Area Director