Subject: RFC 8044 on Data Types in RADIUS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:29:16 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8044

        Title:      Data Types in RADIUS 
        Author:     A. DeKok
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 63324
        Updates:    RFC 2865, RFC 3162, RFC 6158, RFC 6572, RFC 7268

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-radext-datatypes-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8044

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8044

RADIUS specifications have used data types for two decades without
defining them as managed entities.  During this time, RADIUS
implementations have named the data types and have used them in
attribute definitions.  This document updates the specifications to
better follow established practice.  We do this by naming the data
types defined in RFC 6158, which have been used since at least the
publication of RFC 2865.  We provide an IANA registry for the data
types and update the "RADIUS Attribute Types" registry to include a
Data Type field for each attribute.  Finally, we recommend that
authors of RADIUS specifications use these types in preference to
existing practice.  This document updates RFCs 2865, 3162, 4072,
6158, 6572, and 7268.

This document is a product of the RADIUS EXTensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC