Subject: RFC 8021 on Generation of IPv6 Atomic Fragments Considered Harmful

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 13:03:41 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8021

        Title:      Generation of IPv6 Atomic Fragments 
                    Considered Harmful 
        Author:     F. Gont, W. Liu, T. Anderson
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 25686
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8021

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8021

This document discusses the security implications of the generation
of IPv6 atomic fragments and a number of interoperability issues
associated with IPv6 atomic fragments.  It concludes that the
aforementioned functionality is undesirable and thus documents the
motivation for removing this functionality from an upcoming revision
of the core IPv6 protocol specification (RFC 2460).

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC