Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-05.txt> (DHCPv6 Prefix Length Hint Issues) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 07:16:33 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Dynamic Host Configuration WG
(dhc) to consider the following document:
- 'DHCPv6 Prefix Length Hint Issues'
  <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-05.txt> as Proposed
Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-02-09. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (RFC3633) allows a client to include a
   prefix-length hint value in the IA_PD option to indicate a preference
   for the size of the prefix to be delegated, but is unclear about how
   the client and server should act in different situations involving
   the prefix-length hint.  This document provides a summary of the
   existing problems with the prefix-length hint and guidance on what
   the client and server could do in different situations.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.