Subject: Last Call: <draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-02.txt> (Variant Rules) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:23:22 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Variant Rules'
  <draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-02.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-02-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document gives guidance on designing well-behaved Label
   Generation Rulesets (LGRs) that support variant labels.  Typical
   examples of labels and LGRs are IDNs and zone registration policies
   defining permissible IDN labels.  Variant labels are labels that are
   either visually or semantically indistinguishable from an applied for
   label and are typically delegated together with the applied-for
   label, or permanently reserved.  While [RFC7940] defines the
   syntactical requirements for specifying the label generation rules
   for variant labels, additional considerations apply that ensure that
   the label generation rules are consistent and well-behaved in the
   presence of variants.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.