Subject: RFC 8033 on Proportional Integral Controller Enhanced (PIE): A Lightweight Control Scheme to Address the Bufferbloat Problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:16:12 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8033

        Title:      Proportional Integral Controller Enhanced (PIE): 
                    A Lightweight Control Scheme to Address 
                    the Bufferbloat Problem 
        Author:     R. Pan, P. Natarajan,
                    F. Baker, G. White
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Characters: 58829
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-aqm-pie-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8033

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8033

Bufferbloat is a phenomenon in which excess buffers in the network
cause high latency and latency variation.  As more and more
interactive applications (e.g., voice over IP, real-time video
streaming, and financial transactions) run in the Internet, high
latency and latency variation degrade application performance.  There
is a pressing need to design intelligent queue management schemes
that can control latency and latency variation, and hence provide
desirable quality of service to users.

This document presents a lightweight active queue management design
called "PIE" (Proportional Integral controller Enhanced) that can
effectively control the average queuing latency to a target value.
Simulation results, theoretical analysis, and Linux testbed results
have shown that PIE can ensure low latency and achieve high link
utilization under various congestion situations.  The design does not
require per-packet timestamps, so it incurs very little overhead and
is simple enough to implement in both hardware and software.

This document is a product of the Active Queue Management and Packet Scheduling Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC