Subject: IASA 2.0: Challenges and Opportunities Workshops

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:12:43 -0800

Last year, we talked about the need to review and possibly rework our 
administrative arrangements at the IETF, dubbed the IASA 2.0 project [1].
We are now arranging a series of virtual workshops related to this effort.

For background, the IASA arrangements were created more than ten years
ago, when the IETF initially took charge of its own administration [2]. The
arrangements have served the IETF well, but there’s been considerable
change in the necessary tasks and in the world around us since then [3].
What administrative arrangements will best support the IETF going forward?

To make changes, we first need to understand what challenges or missed 
opportunities there are in the current system. We believe there are a
number of areas in which we are currently facing challenges: structural
issues regarding the roles and interfaces between the IETF, the IAOC,
ISOC, the IESG, and contractors; availability of staff, contractor, and
volunteer resources compared to the administrative workload; internal
IAOC organizational issues; and challenges to the IETF funding model.
But we want to hear from the community about what problems you
see, and what you think is working well.

To do that we’re setting up two virtual workshops, open to everyone from
the community and people who are or have worked in some of these
administrative roles. Those who are less familiar with IETF administration
are strongly encouraged to read BCP 101 and draft-daigle-iasa-retrospective
prior to the workshops.

The workshops are virtual meetings where the participants can provide
their experiences and suggestions. The primary focus is on identifying
current challenges and opportunities. Proposed changes and solutions
will be dealt with in a later phase. Meeting notes and an Internet Draft 
summarising the input will be produced afterwards.

The agenda will be the same for both workshops, but we are having two
to better accommodate participants in different time zones. The two
workshops are both on Tuesday February 28. The first one is at 11:00 UTC
(6:00AM ET / 12:00 noon CET) and the second one at 16:00 UTC (11:00AM
ET / 17:00 CET).

We will circulate a workshop agenda soon, but most of it will be about
giving you all an opportunity to provide your thoughts. Connection 
details will be sent later.

We may also reserve agenda time at IETF 98 for follow-up discussion
depending on the outcome of the workshops. We’ve also set up a
mailing list for discussions related to this topic at
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20.

Please join one of the workshops and/or the mailing list and provide
your input!

Jari Arkko, IETF Chair
Alissa Cooper, Incoming IETF Chair

[1] https://www.ietf.org/blog/2016/11/proposed-project-ietf-administrative-support-2-0/
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4071
[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daigle-iasa-retrospective

---

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 17:53:10 +0200

This is the promised update on the workshop arrangements. The two
workshops are both on Tuesday February 28. The first one is at 11:00 UTC
(6:00AM ET / 12:00 noon CET) and chaired by Gonzalo Camarillo. The
second one is at 16:00 UTC (11:00AM ET / 17:00 CET) and chaired
by Leslie Daigle. 

The workshops run for 90 minutes. We have reserved most of the time for input
from you all, under specific topics, and this is the planned agenda:

1. Introduction (10m)
2. Staff and volunteer resource issues (20m)
3. Structural issues between the IETF, the IAOC, ISOC, the IESG,
    and contractors (15m)
4. Internal IAOC organizational issues (15m)
5. Funding issues (20m)
6. Parking lot / AOB (10m)

Meeting notes and an Internet Draft  summarising the input will be
produced afterwards.

The connection details are as follows:

> IASA 2.0: Challenges and Opportunities Workshop 1
> Tuesday, February 28, 2017
> 3:00 am  |  Pacific Standard Time (San Francisco, GMT-08:00)  |  1 hr 30 mins
> Meeting number (access code): 649 641 309
> Meeting password: r3Kp3YK2
> 
> When it's time, join the meeting: https://ietf.webex.com/ietf/j.php?MTID=m1687ad2470da2686c579d370065e32e0
> 
> Join by phone
> 1-877-668-4493 Call-in toll free number (US/Canada)
> 1-650-479-3208 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
> Toll-free calling restrictions

> IASA 2.0: Challenges and Opportunities Workshop 2
> Tuesday, February 28, 2017
> 8:00 am  |  Pacific Standard Time (San Francisco, GMT-08:00)  |  1 hr 30 mins
> Meeting number (access code): 643 841 805
> Meeting password: QhbTb6Xy
> 
> When it's time, join the meeting: https://ietf.webex.com/ietf/j.php?MTID=md2b82b329c773944216f99c3aa2ba9fa
> 
> Join by phone
> 1-877-668-4493 Call-in toll free number (US/Canada)
> 1-650-479-3208 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
> Toll-free calling restrictions

We’ve also set up a mailing list for discussions related to this topic at
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20

Jari Arkko, IETF Chair

---

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 23:59:15 +0200

I wanted to remind everyone of our workshops tomorrow February 28,
relating to collecting feedback from you all regarding our administrative
arrangements.

Agenda, slides, mailing list, jabber rooms, connection details, and so on
can be found here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2017-iasa20-01/agenda/iasa20/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2017-iasa20-01/session/iasa20

For background, see
https://www.ietf.org/blog/2017/02/reviewing-and-assessing-the-ietf-administrative-support-activity/

Jari Arkko, IETF Chair