Subject: RFC 8079 on Guidelines for End-to-End Support of the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) in Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 16:26:02 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8079

        Title:      Guidelines for End-to-End Support of 
                    the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) in 
                    Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) 
        Author:     L. Miniero, S. Garcia Murillo, V. Pascual
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 41687
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-17.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8079

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8079

SIP Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) are often designed to also be
on the media path, rather than just to intercept signalling.  This
means that B2BUAs often implement an RTP or RTP Control Protocol
(RTCP) stack as well, thus leading to separate multimedia sessions
that the B2BUA correlates and bridges together.  If not disciplined,
this behaviour can severely impact the communication experience,
especially when statistics and feedback information contained in RTCP
messages get lost because of mismatches in the reported data.

This document defines the proper behaviour B2BUAs should follow when
acting on both the signalling plane and media plane in order to
preserve the end-to-end functionality of RTCP.

This document is a product of the Sip Traversal Required for Applications to Work Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC