Subject: Protocol Action: 'Delivery of IPv4 Multicast Services to IPv4 Clients over an IPv6 Multicast Network' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 11:58:18 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Delivery of IPv4 Multicast Services to IPv4 Clients over an IPv6
   Multicast Network'
  (draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Softwires Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast/

Technical Summary

This document defines a mechanism for transporting IPv4 multicast
traffic over single-stack IPv6 multicast service provider's networks.
This is achieved through the use of the underlying IPv6 multicast
distribution tree. The IPv4 traffic is statelessly encapsulated in
IPv6. The main benefit of this solution is using an IPv6
multicast network for the efficient distribution of IPv4 based
multicast content.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus in the WG for the publication of this
document. WGLC was originally completed in 2012, but the
document has been delayed in progressing due to higher
priority WG documents.

Document Quality

 An implementation was demoed at IETF82 which showed interworking
between a vendor's implementation of the mAFTR and a mB4
implementation. An open source based implementation of the
mB4 function is available.

Personnel

Softwire co-chair, Ian Farrer, is the Document Shepherd.
Terry Manderson is the Responsible AD.