Subject: RFC 8094 on DNS over Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:17:27 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8094

        Title:      DNS over Datagram Transport Layer 
                    Security (DTLS) 
        Author:     T. Reddy, D. Wing,
                    P. Patil
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 31130
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8094

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8094

DNS queries and responses are visible to network elements on the path
between the DNS client and its server.  These queries and responses
can contain privacy-sensitive information, which is valuable to
protect.

This document proposes the use of Datagram Transport Layer Security
(DTLS) for DNS, to protect against passive listeners and certain
active attacks.  As latency is critical for DNS, this proposal also
discusses mechanisms to reduce DTLS round trips and reduce the DTLS
handshake size.  The proposed mechanism runs over port 853.

This document is a product of the DNS PRIVate Exchange Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC