Subject: RFC 8089 on The "file" URI Scheme

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 20:36:10 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8089

        Title:      The "file" URI Scheme 
        Author:     M. Kerwin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 36893
        Updates:    RFC 1738

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8089

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8089

This document provides a more complete specification of the "file"
Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) scheme and replaces the very brief
definition in Section 3.10 of RFC 1738.

It defines a common syntax that is intended to interoperate across
the broad spectrum of existing usages.  At the same time, it notes
some other current practices around the use of file URIs.

This document is a product of the ART Area General Application Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC