Subject: Protocol Action: 'Use of Transport Layer Security (TLS) in the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-elie-nntp-tls-recommendations-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 08:54:20 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Use of Transport Layer Security (TLS) in the Network News Transfer
   Protocol (NNTP)'
  (draft-elie-nntp-tls-recommendations-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-elie-nntp-tls-recommendations/

Technical Summary

   This document provides recommendations for improving the security of
   the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) when using Transport Layer
   Security (TLS).  It modernizes the NNTP usage of TLS to be consistent
   with TLS best current practices.  If approved, this document updates
   RFC 4642.

Working Group Summary

   This is not a WG document, but it was reviewed on the former
   NNTPEXT WG mailing list.

Document Quality

   Several existing implementations already implement the cipher
   recommendations from this document due to use of generic
   TLS libraries.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Michael Baeuerle <mailto:[email-masked]>
   (The "ae" in "Baeuerle" is an ASCII transcription for the umlaut U+00E4)
   Responsible Area Director    : Alexey Melnikov