Subject: Remote hubs for IETF 98

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 12:56:26 -0800

I’m happy to report that Ted Hardie and Warren Kumari and Google have
stepped up to make alternate arrangements for people who might have
difficulty travelling due to the recent travel restrictions. Thank you! 

Please see the details below:

-------

Hi Jari,

Warren and I have arranged for Google to provide two remote hubs for
participants who won't be able to attend IETF 98 in Chicago because
of the recent travel restrictions.  While we understand that many folks
might prefer to simply attend remotely from their home or office,
experience with the IGF and the Latin American remote IETF hubs
suggests that there may be folks who prefer to be with others for
the events.  We hope that providing this option makes things a bit
easier for them.

The current plan is to use two Google offices, one in eastern Canada
(so as to be in a nearby time zone) and one in Europe (which seems
to have the highest percentage of affected participants).  These
offices will be staffed by volunteers and will provide local conference
room facilities, wireless network, and snacks.

We have some flexibility on which offices to use, and we'd be happy
to take email from potential remote participants on their preferences.
Alternatively, we've also set up a form at

  https://goo.gl/forms/pbuaDdhS2xyKpcps1

to collect this data, if people prefer not to use email for this.  (The
form does not require a Google login to complete).  

We understand, of course, that situation is fluid, but given the need
to coordinate with local volunteers, it would be great to have an 
early insight into who many of the affected people might use this
option.  If you could share this option with the community so we
can get that insight, we'd appreciate it.

thanks,

Ted Hardie
Warren Kumari