Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-10.txt> (Model Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:05:42 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IP Performance Metrics WG (ippm)
to consider the following document:
- 'Model Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity'
  <draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-10.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-03-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   We introduce a new class of Model Based Metrics designed to assess if
   a complete Internet path can be expected to meet a predefined Target
   Transport Performance by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
   successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests can be robustly
   applied to critical infrastructure, such as network interconnections
   or even individual devices, to accurately detect if any part of the
   infrastructure will prevent paths traversing it from meeting the
   Target Transport Performance.

   Model Based Metrics rely on peer-reviewed mathematical models to
   specify a Targeted Suite of IP Diagnostic tests, designed to assess
   whether common transport protocols can be expected to meet a
   predetermined Target Transport Performance over an Internet path.

   For Bulk Transport Capacity, the IP diagnostics are built on test
   streams that mimic TCP over the complete path and statistical
   criteria for evaluating the packet transfer statistics of those
   streams.  The temporal structure of the test stream (bursts, etc)
   mimic TCP or other transport protocol carrying bulk data over a long
   path.  However they are constructed to be independent of the details
   of the subpath under test, end systems or applications.  Likewise the
   success criteria evaluates the packet transfer statistics of the
   subpath against criteria determined by protocol performance models
   applied to the Target Transport Performance of the complete path.
   The success criteria also does not depend on the details of the
   subpath, end systems or application.

   Model Based Metrics exhibit several important new properties not
   present in other Bulk Transport Capacity Metrics, including the
   ability to reason about concatenated or overlapping subpaths.  The
   results are vantage independent which is critical for supporting
   independent validation of tests by comparing results from multiple
   measurement points.

   This document does not define the IP diagnostic tests, but provides a
   framework for designing suites of IP diagnostic tests that are
   tailored to confirming that infrastructure can meet the predetermined
   Target Transport Performance.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.