Subject: Document Action: 'Opportunistic Wireless Encryption' to Informational RFC (draft-harkins-owe-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 12:31:09 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Opportunistic Wireless Encryption'
  (draft-harkins-owe-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-harkins-owe/

Technical Summary

   This memo specifies an extension to IEEE Std 802.11 to provide for
   opportunistic (unauthenticated) encryption to the wireless media.

Working Group Summary

   This is an AD sponsored individual draft. 

Document Quality

  The responsible AD is unaware of any implementations so far.
  This idea was initially raised in the IETF on the saag list, which
   recommended taking the idea to IEEE which the authors then
   did. Discussion in IEEE didn't result in this becoming part 
   of the 802.11 specification, for process reasons. The authors,
   IETF/IEEE liaisons and responsible AD (at the regular IETF/IEEE
   co-ordination meetings) then discussed whether
   it was reasonable to progress this as an IETF RFC, concluding
   eventually that that was ok. That plan was also described on 
   the saag list. 

   We also reached out to IEEE participants for feedback and did 
   get some comment on the IETF list.

   After we requested an assignment via liaison (#1486), 
   IEEE also approved the allocation of the code point needed,
   at a point when it was clear that this spec was being pursued
   in the IETF. So this was an odd one, but seems like it won't
   cause any inter-SDO conflict at this point.

Personnel

   Stephen Farrell is the responsible AD.