Subject: Document Action: 'LISP Delegated Database Tree' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-lisp-ddt-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 13:57:29 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LISP Delegated Database Tree'
  (draft-ietf-lisp-ddt-09.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-ddt/

Technical Summary

The document describes the LISP Delegated Database Tree
(LISP-DDT), a distributed hierarchical mapping database.
LISP-DDT is composed of servers (DDT nodes) organised as
a hierarchical tree, based on EID namespace delegation.
Every DDT node, from the root to the leafs, is 
authoritative for a set of EID-prefixes. To each 
EID-prefix is associated either a set of RLOCs or child
DDT nodes to which more specific EID-prefixes are 
delegated. Each LISP-DDT node can be queried using 
Map-Request messages [RFC6830]. The node will reply 
either with a Map-Reply message [RFC6830], carrying the 
the set of RLOCs associated to the prefix, or with a 
Map-Referral (Defined in this document), indicating the 
DDT nodes that are authoritative for a more specific 
EID-prefix covering the requested EID.

Working Group Summary

The document received a strong support from the WG from the
very beginning, and actually the design of the system is the 
result of a strong collaboration among WG participants.
The version of the document that was approved during WG Last
Call is -03. As a shepherd I required a few editorial changes 
to the document. This delayed the document since the main
author did not have time anymore to updated the document.
(The document actually expired.)
A new author joined the team recently and after a couple
of updates the document is ready to go further. 

Document Quality

There are two independent and inter-operable implementations
of the proposed hierarchical distributed database and lookup
mechanisms.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Luigi Iannone
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard