Subject: RFC 8034 on Active Queue Management (AQM) Based on Proportional Integral Controller Enhanced PIE) for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specifications (DOCSIS) Cable Modems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:16:29 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8034

        Title:      Active Queue Management (AQM) Based 
                    on Proportional Integral Controller Enhanced PIE) 
                    for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specifications (DOCSIS) 
                    Cable Modems 
        Author:     G. White, R. Pan
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 33326
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-aqm-docsis-pie-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8034

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8034

Cable modems based on Data-Over-Cable Service Interface
Specifications (DOCSIS) provide broadband Internet access to over one
hundred million users worldwide.  In some cases, the cable modem
connection is the bottleneck (lowest speed) link between the customer
and the Internet.  As a result, the impact of buffering and
bufferbloat in the cable modem can have a significant effect on user
experience.  The CableLabs DOCSIS 3.1 specification introduces
requirements for cable modems to support an Active Queue Management
(AQM) algorithm that is intended to alleviate the impact that
buffering has on latency-sensitive traffic, while preserving bulk
throughput performance.  In addition, the CableLabs DOCSIS 3.0
specifications have also been amended to contain similar
requirements.  This document describes the requirements on AQM that
apply to DOCSIS equipment, including a description of the
"DOCSIS-PIE" algorithm that is required on DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems.

This document is a product of the Active Queue Management and Packet Scheduling Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC