Subject: Document Action: 'Design considerations for Metadata Insertion' to Informational RFC (draft-hardie-privsec-metadata-insertion-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 08:50:56 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Design considerations for Metadata Insertion'
  (draft-hardie-privsec-metadata-insertion-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hardie-privsec-metadata-insertion/

Technical Summary

   The IAB has published RFC7624 in response to several revelations of
   pervasive attack on Internet communications.  This document considers
   the implications of protocol designs which associate metadata with
   encrypted flows.  In particular, it asserts that designs which do so
   by explicit actions at the host are preferable to designs in which
   middleboxes insert them.

Working Group Summary

  This is an AD sponsored informational document.This was discussed at
  saag meetings and on the saag list where there was support to publish. 
  There was some discussion during IETF LC and one person is known
  to have concerns remaining. (See [1])

   [1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg101894.html

Document Quality

   This documents an anti-pattern so  hopefully we will not
   see implementations. The draft is short and I think clear.

Personnel

  Stephen Farrell is the responsible AD and did the limited
  shepherding needed.