Subject: RFC 8029 on Detecting Multiprotocol Label Switched (MPLS) Data-Plane Failures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:09:40 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8029

        Title:      Detecting Multiprotocol Label Switched (MPLS) 
                    Data-Plane Failures 
        Author:     K. Kompella, 
                    G. Swallow,
                    C. Pignataro, Ed.,
                    N. Kumar, 
                    S. Aldrin,
                    M. Chen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      78
        Characters: 174158
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4379, RFC 6424, RFC 6829, RFC 7537
        Updates:    RFC 1122

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-rfc4379bis-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8029

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8029

This document describes a simple and efficient mechanism to detect
data-plane failures in Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label
Switched Paths (LSPs).  It defines a probe message called an "MPLS                       
echo request" and a response message called an "MPLS echo reply" for
returning the result of the probe.  The MPLS echo request is intended
to contain sufficient information to check correct operation of the
data plane and to verify the data plane against the control plane,
thereby localizing faults.

This document obsoletes RFCs 4379, 6424, 6829, and 7537, and updates
RFC 1122.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC