Subject: Protocol Action: 'Indicating Character Encoding and Language for HTTP Header Field Parameters' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc5987bis-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 13:02:46 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Indicating Character Encoding and Language for HTTP Header Field
   Parameters'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc5987bis-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc5987bis/

Technical Summary

By default, header field values in Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) messages cannot easily carry
characters outside the US-ASCII coded character set. RFC 2231 defines an encoding mechanism for use
in parameters inside Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) header field values. This
document specifies an encoding suitable for use in HTTP header fields that is compatible with a
simplified profile of the encoding defined in RFC 2231.

Working Group Summary

The intended status is Proposed Standard, unchanged from RFC5987. The Working Group felt that
promoting it to full Internet Standard would be inappropriate.

This is a bis document that seeks to revise a document the WG published in the past. Because of
that, it has received attention and review from a small set of active WG members. However, none of
the document changes are controversial.

Document Quality

There are multiple implementations. See Appendix B of the document.

Personnel

Mark Nottingham is the Document Shepherd. The responsible AD is Alexey Melnikov.