Subject: RFC 8082 on Using Codec Control Messages in the RTP Audio-Visual Profile with Feedback with Layered Codecs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 18:06:13 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8082

        Title:      Using Codec Control Messages in 
                    the RTP Audio-Visual Profile with Feedback 
                    with Layered Codecs 
        Author:     S. Wenger, J. Lennox,
                    B. Burman, M. Westerlund
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 25093
        Updates:    RFC 5104

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtext-avpf-ccm-layered-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8082

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8082

This document updates RFC 5104 by fixing a shortcoming in the
specification language of the Codec Control Message Full Intra
Request (FIR) description when using it with layered codecs.  In
particular, a decoder refresh point needs to be sent by a media
sender when a FIR is received on any layer of the layered bitstream,
regardless of whether those layers are being sent in a single or in
multiple RTP flows.  The other payload-specific feedback messages
defined in RFC 5104 and RFC 4585 (which was updated by RFC 5506) have
also been analyzed, and no corresponding shortcomings have been
found.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC