Subject: WG Action: Rechartered Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance (avtcore)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 15:25:11 -0800

The Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance (avtcore) WG in the
Applications and Real-Time Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance (avtcore)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Roni Even <[email-masked]>
  Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/avt/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/avtcore/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-avtcore/

The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) along with its associated profiles
and payload formats provides for real-time transmission of audio and
video over unicast and multicast transports. RTP is widely implemented,
and deployed for a wide range of applications, ranging from telephony to
television over IP. RTP itself has been shepherded to Full Standard. Its
associated profiles, extensions, and payload formats are currently at
various levels of standards maturity. As new applications have emerged,
the need for guidelines for the use of the RTP/RTCP protocols and
extensions specific to those applications has been identified.

The AVTCORE working group is chartered to maintain the core RTP/RTCP
specifications and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and SAVPF profiles. The group
will provide architectural guidance for extending the protocols and
guidelines for their proper use. While other working groups are chartered
to work on RTCP Extended Report Extensions (XRBLOCK) and RTP Payload
Formats (PAYLOAD), extensions that are generally applicable will be
developed in AVTCORE. The AVTCORE working group is also chartered to
develop application-specific guidelines for the use of RTP/RTCP protocols
with the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and SAVPF profiles, and extensions to those
protocols that are driven by application-specific needs.

The AVTCORE working group will coordinate closely with the Security Area
while working on maintenance and enhancements to the SRTP Profile
(SAVP).

Milestones:
  Jun 2016 - Submit Mechanism for Layer Refresh Request for Proposed
Standard
  Sep 2016 - Submit update for A General Mechanism for RTP Header
Extensions (RFC5285) for publication as proposed standard
  Oct 2016 - Submit RTP Header Extension for Video Frame Information for
Proposed Standard
  Nov 2016 - Submit Guidelines for using the Multiplexing Features of RTP
for Informational
  Nov 2016 - Submit Multipath RTP  as experimental RFC