Subject: Document Action: 'Benchmarking The Neighbor Discovery Protocol' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bmwg-ipv6-nd-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:15:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Benchmarking The Neighbor Discovery Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-bmwg-ipv6-nd-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-ipv6-nd/

Technical Summary

   IPv6 nodes use the Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) [RFC4861] to
   maintain the Neighbor Cache.  Operational experience [RFC6583] shows 
   that when an implementation cannot maintain a sufficiently complete 
   Neighbor Cache, its ability to forward packets is impaired. 
   This document provides benchmarking procedures for the Neighbor
   Discovery Protocol (NDP). Benchmarking procedures include a Baseline Test 
   and an NDP Scaling Test. This document defines an NDP scaling metric, 
   called NDP-MAX-NEIGHBORS. 

Working Group Summary

   Once the Working Group agreed on the benchmarking problem to solve,
   revisions to the draft were straightforward and consensus was 
   smooth.

Document Quality

  INT Area Directorate review was requested. Draft was discussed 
in v6ops and is an offshoot of work done there for RFC 6583.

Personnel

  Al Morton is the Document Shepherd.
  Joel Jaeggli is the Responsible AD.