Subject: RFC 8083 on Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers for Unicast RTP Sessions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:16:00 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8083

        Title:      Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers 
                    for Unicast RTP Sessions 
        Author:     C. Perkins, V. Singh
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 67197
        Updates:    RFC 3550

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-18.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8083

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8083

The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) is widely used in telephony,
video conferencing, and telepresence applications.  Such applications
are often run on best-effort UDP/IP networks.  If congestion control
is not implemented in these applications, then network congestion can
lead to uncontrolled packet loss and a resulting deterioration of the
user's multimedia experience.  The congestion control algorithm acts
as a safety measure by stopping RTP flows from using excessive
resources and protecting the network from overload.  At the time of
this writing, however, while there are several proprietary solutions,
there is no standard algorithm for congestion control of interactive
RTP flows.

This document does not propose a congestion control algorithm.  It
instead defines a minimal set of RTP circuit breakers: conditions
under which an RTP sender needs to stop transmitting media data to
protect the network from excessive congestion.  It is expected that,
in the absence of long-lived excessive congestion, RTP applications
running on best-effort IP networks will be able to operate without
triggering these circuit breakers.  To avoid triggering the RTP
circuit breaker, any Standards Track congestion control algorithms
defined for RTP will need to operate within the envelope set by these
RTP circuit breaker algorithms.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC