Subject: RFC 8078 on Managing DS Records from the Parent via CDS/CDNSKEY

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:23:19 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8078

        Title:      Managing DS Records from the 
                    Parent via CDS/CDNSKEY 
        Author:     O. Gudmundsson, P. Wouters
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 21001
        Updates:    RFC 7344

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-maintain-ds-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8078

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8078

RFC 7344 specifies how DNS trust can be maintained across key
rollovers in-band between parent and child.  This document elevates
RFC 7344 from Informational to Standards Track.  It also adds a
method for initial trust setup and removal of a secure entry point.

Changing a domain's DNSSEC status can be a complicated matter
involving multiple unrelated parties.  Some of these parties, such as
the DNS operator, might not even be known by all the organizations
involved.  The inability to disable DNSSEC via in-band signaling is
seen as a problem or liability that prevents some DNSSEC adoption at
a large scale.  This document adds a method for in-band signaling of
these DNSSEC status changes.

This document describes reasonable policies to ease deployment of the
initial acceptance of new secure entry points (DS records).

It is preferable that operators collaborate on the transfer or move
of a domain.  The best method is to perform a Key Signing Key (KSK)
plus Zone Signing Key (ZSK) rollover.  If that is not possible, the
method using an unsigned intermediate state described in this
document can be used to move the domain between two parties.  This
leaves the domain temporarily unsigned and vulnerable to DNS
spoofing, but that is preferred over the alternative of validation
failures due to a mismatched DS and DNSKEY record.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC