Subject: Protocol Action: TLS Elliptic Curve Cipher Suites with SHA-256/384 and AES Galois Counter Mode (GCM) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:02:59 -0700

The IESG has approved changing the status of the following document:
- TLS Elliptic Curve Cipher Suites with SHA-256/384 and AES Galois
Counter Mode (GCM)
  (rfc5289) to Proposed Standard

This document action is documented at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-uplifting-rfc5289-to-ps/

A URL of the affected document is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5289/

Status Change Details:

As part of the work on TLS1.3 the TLS working group have decided
to distinguish standards track ciphersuites from others. Some of
the ciphersuites documented in RFC5289 are very widely used yet
that RFC is informational, hence this status-change.

The working group discussed this a number of times as a part 
of their changes to how TLS ciphersuites are categorised. The
decision to go ahead with the status change is documented in
this [1] thread.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg21832.html

Personnel 

   Stephen Farrell is the responsible Area Director.