Subject: Protocol Action: 'Minimal 6TiSCH Configuration' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-21.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 06:38:15 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Minimal 6TiSCH Configuration'
  (draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-21.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE
802.15.4e Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the minimal set of rules to run IPv6 over
   an IEEE 802.15.4 Timeslotted Channel Hopping (TSCH) network, 
   including the operation of the RPL routing protocol and the
   procedures to forward packets using a static schedule of shared 
   time slots in a slotted-aloha fashion.

Working Group Summary

  Like for the other 6TiSCH documents, it took a long time and great
  care to achieve consensus on the security piece. Considering the
  complexity (and issues) in IEEE802.15.4-2011, the group decided
  to provide reference examples of how the MAC can be set in order to 
  achieve interoperability. 

  Though MAC level messages are widely discussed and many references
  to undated IEEE802.15.4 specs are made, and apart from a particular
  problem with the IEEE802.15.4e spec that has to be treated in 
  section 4, the example section 11 is the only place in the document that
  has dated IEEE references. 
  
 The rest of the document uses undated references so it is preserved 
  through future backward compatible updates of IEEE802.15.4. 

  The draft was the subject to an ETSI PlugTest and the Hackathon in Prague.
  4 different implementation on multiple platforms and OSes were tested.

Document Quality

  There are 3 different open source implementations, Contiki, TinyOS 
  and Open WSN. Multiple derivatives of Open WSN are also available
  and were confronted at the ETSI PlugTest in Prague. There are 
  also shipping products in the AMI/AMR domain (Wi-NAN) that operate 
  in pre-standard variations of this work and we expect them
  to move to the standard version at some point of time.
  There were also discussions on how IEEE specs should be
  referenced; the authors followed the best practices obtained
  from multiple parties, including the RFC editor and the
  IEEE-IETF coordination, of using undated references whenever possible.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Pascal Thubert. The Responsible Area Director is Suresh Krishnan.