Subject: WG Action: Rechartered NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:46:58 -0700

The NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod) WG in the Operations and
Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
  Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Zitao Wang <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/netmod/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/netmod/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-netmod/

The Network Modeling (NETMOD) working group is responsible for the YANG 
data modeling language, which can be used to specify network management 
data models that are transported over such protocols as NETCONF and 
RESTCONF, and guidelines for developing YANG models. The NETMOD working 
group addresses general topics related to the use of the YANG language 
and YANG models, for example, the mapping of YANG modeled data into 
various encodings. Finally, the NETMOD working group also defines core 
YANG models used as basic YANG building blocks, and YANG models that do 
not otherwise fall under the charter of any other IETF working group. 
The NETMOD WG may include work on YANG modules device profiles that do 
not otherwise fall under the charter of any other IETF working group.
  
The NETMOD WG is responsible for:

   a) Maintaining the data modeling language YANG. This effort entails
      periodically updating the specification to address new 
      requirements as they arise.

   b) Maintaining the guidelines for developing YANG models. This effort
      is primarily driven by updates made to the YANG specification.

   c) Maintaining a conceptual framework in which YANG models are used.
      This effort entails describing the generic context that in YANG
      exists and how certain YANG statements interact in that context.
      An example of this is YANG's relationship with datastores.

   d) Maintaining encodings for YANG modeled data. This effort entails
      updating encodings already defined by the NETMOD working group 
      (XML and JSON) to accommodate changes to the YANG specification, 
      and defining new YANG encodings that are needed, and yet do not 
      fall under the charter of any other active IETF working group.

   e) Maintaining YANG models used as basic YANG building blocks. This
      effort entails updating existing YANG models (ietf-yang-types and
      ietf-inet-types) as needed, as well as defining additional core 
      YANG data models when necessary.

   f) Defining and maintaining YANG models that do not fall under the
      charter of any other active IETF working group.

   The NETMOD working group consults with the NETCONF working group to
   ensure that new requirements are understood and can be met by the
   protocols (e.g., NETCONF and RESTCONF) developed within that working
   group.

   The NETMOD working group does not serve as a review team for YANG
   modules developed by other working groups. Instead, the YANG doctors,
   [1] as organized by the OPS area director responsible for network
   management, will act as advisors for other working groups and provide
   YANG reviews for the OPS area directors.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/yang-doctors.html

Milestones:
  May 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification to IESG  
for publication (as Informational)
  May 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-entity to IESG for publication (as
Standards Track)
  May 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model to IESG for
publication (as Standards Track)
  Jun 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-acl-model to IESG for publication
(as Standards Track)
  Jul 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores to IESG for 
publication (as Standards Track)
  Jul 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis to IESG for publication
(as Informational)
  Oct 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount to IESG for
publication (as Standards Track)
  Dec 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang to IESG for
publication (as Standards Track)
  Dec 2017 - Submit draft-ietf-netmod-sub-intf-vlan-yang to IESG for
publication (as Informational)