Subject: WG Action: Rechartered IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:17:30 -0700

The IPv6 Operations (v6ops) WG in the Operations and Management Area of
the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information, please contact
the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

IPv6 Operations (v6ops)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
  Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
  Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/v6ops/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/v6ops/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-v6ops/

The global deployment of IPv6 is underway, creating an Internet
consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only, IPv4-IPv6 dual-stack, and
IPv6+translation networks and nodes. This deployment must be properly
handled to avoid the division of the Internet into separate IPv4 and
IPv6 networks, ensuring addressing and connectivity for all IPv4 and
IPv6 nodes.  IPv6 deployment has resulted in the shutdown of IPv4 in
some networks. Removing IPv4 constraints has resulted in innovations
in IPv6 network operations.

The IPv6 Operations Working Group (v6ops) develops guidelines for the
deployment and operation of new and existing IPv6 networks.

The goals of the v6ops working group are:

1. Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
operational issues with IPv6 networks, and determine solutions or
workarounds to those issues.

2. Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
operational interaction issues with the IPv4 networks, and determine
solutions or workarounds to those issues.

3. Solicit discussion and documentation of the issues and opportunities
in IPv6-only operation, and of the resulting innovations.

4. Operational solutions for identified issues should be developed in
v6ops and documented in informational or BCP drafts.

5. Document operational requirements for IPv6 networks.

These documents should document IPv6 operational experience, including
interactions with IPv4, in dual stack networks, IPv6 networks with IPv4
delivered as an overlay or translation service, or IPv6-only networks.

IPv6 operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing
Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility of
the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or
technologies. However, the v6ops Working Group may provide input to
those areas/groups, as needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in
reviewing solutions to IPv6 operational and deployment problems.

Future work items within this scope will be adopted by the Working Group
only if there is a substantial expression of interest from the community
and if the work clearly does not fit elsewhere in the IETF.

There must be a continuous expression of interest for the Working Group
to work on a particular work item. If there is no longer sufficient
interest in the Working Group in a work item, the item may be removed
from the list of Working Group items.

Milestones:
  Jul 2017 - Describe routing choices and trade-offs for enterprise and
service provider networks
  Jul 2017 - File recommendation on how to build a commercial WiFi
network
  Nov 2017 - Prefix for use by IPv4/IPv6 translators in a network
  Nov 2017 - Advice on use of ULAs in networks
  Nov 2017 - Update RFC 7084 (IPv6 CE Requirements)
  Nov 2017 - Update RFC 6555 with experience
  Nov 2017 - Requirements for IPv6 Routers in a general purpose network