Subject: RFC 8146 on Adding Support for Salted Password Databases to EAP-pwd

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 17:00:40 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8146

        Title:      Adding Support for Salted Password 
                    Databases to EAP-pwd 
        Author:     D. Harkins
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 22032
        Updates:    RFC 5931

        I-D Tag:    draft-harkins-salted-eap-pwd-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8146

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8146

EAP-pwd is an Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) method that
utilizes a shared password for authentication using a technique that
is resistant to dictionary attacks.  It includes support for raw keys
and double hashing of a password in the style of Microsoft Challenge
Handshake Authentication Protocol version 2 (MSCHAPv2), but it does
not include support for salted passwords.  There are many existing
databases of salted passwords, and it is desirable to allow their use
with EAP-pwd.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC