Subject: Last Call: <draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-05.txt> (Variant Rules) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 09:17:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Variant Rules'
  <draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-05.txt> as Informational RFC

Some comments were raised in IETF LC about how this document relates
to RFC 7940. The document was updated to clarify that.
This is a Second IETF LC to make IETF community aware of changes
to this draft.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-05-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Rules for validating identifier labels and alternate representations
   of those labels (variants) are known as "Label Generation Rulesets"
   (LGRs); they are used for the implementation of identifier systems
   such as Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs).  This document
   describes ways of designing Label Generation Rulesets (LGRs) that
   support variant labels.  In designing LGRs, it is important to ensure
   that the label generation rules are consistent and well-behaved in
   the presence of variants.  The design decisions can then be expressed
   using the XML representation of LGRs that is defined in RFC7940.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.