Subject: RFC 8148 on Next-Generation Vehicle-Initiated Emergency Calls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 08:37:34 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8148

        Title:      Next-Generation Vehicle-Initiated Emergency Calls 
        Author:     R. Gellens, B. Rosen, H. Tschofenig
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 94940
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash-23.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8148

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8148

This document describes how to use IP-based emergency services
mechanisms to support the next generation of emergency calls placed
by vehicles (automatically in the event of a crash or serious
incident, or manually invoked by a vehicle occupant) and conveying
vehicle, sensor, and location data related to the crash or incident.
Such calls are often referred to as "Automatic Crash Notification"
(ACN), or "Advanced Automatic Crash Notification" (AACN), even in the
case of manual trigger.  The "Advanced" qualifier refers to the
ability to carry a richer set of data.

This document also registers a MIME media type and Emergency Call
Data Type for the vehicle, sensor, and location data (often referred
to as "crash data" even though there is not necessarily a crash) and
an INFO package to enable carrying this and related data in SIP INFO
requests.  An external specification for the data format, contents,
and structure is referenced in this document.

This document reuses the technical aspects of next-generation Pan-
European eCall (a mandated and standardized system for emergency
calls by in-vehicle systems (IVSs) within Europe and other regions).
However, this document specifies use of a different set of vehicle
(crash) data, specifically, the Vehicle Emergency Data Set (VEDS)
rather than the eCall Minimum Set of Data (MSD).  This document is an
extension of the IETF eCall document, with the primary differences
being that this document makes the MSD data set optional and VEDS
mandatory, and it adds attribute values to the metadata/control
object to permit greater functionality.  This document registers a
new INFO package (identical to that registered for eCall but with the
addition of the VEDS MIME type).  This document also describes legacy
(circuit-switched) ACN systems and their migration to next-generation
emergency calling, to provide background information and context.

This document is a product of the Emergency Context Resolution with Internet Technologies Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC