Subject: WG Review: Network Configuration (netconf)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 10:11:56 -0700

The Network Configuration (netconf) WG in the Operations and Management
Area of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not made any
determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to
the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2017-06-07.

Network Configuration (netconf)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
  Mehmet Ersue <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/netconf/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/netconf/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-netconf/

The NETCONF Working Group, previously named after the NETCONF protocol,
now renamed as the NETwork CONFiguration Working Group, is responsible
for the development and maintenance of protocols for YANG data model
driven management, for the necessary framework where these protocols run,
and for the YANG modules that formalize protocol behavior and are
required from a protocol perspective. 

The NETCONF protocol (RFC 6241) provides mechanisms to install,
manipulate, and delete the configuration of network devices. NETCONF is
based on secure transport (SSH is mandatory to implement while TLS is an
optional transport). The NETCONF protocol is data modeling language
independent, but YANG (RFC 7950) is the recommended NETCONF data modeling
language, which introduces advanced language features for configuration
management.

The NETCONF WG recently finalized the development of the RESTCONF
protocol (RFC 8040) which provides an interface over HTTPS for accessing
data defined in YANG. RESTCONF is based on the capabilities of, and uses
the datastore concept defined in, the NETCONF protocol specification. In
support of RESTCONF the YANG Patch (RFC 8072) mechanism has been provided
for applying patches to configuration datastores. The YANG Module Library
(RFC 7895) provides information about all YANG modules used by a network
management server.

Last but not least NETCONF and RESTCONF Call Home (RFC 8071) have been
developed, which enable a server to initiate a secure connection to a
NETCONF or RESTCONF client respectively.

In the current phase of NETCONF's incremental development the Working
Group will focus on following items:

1. Finalize the YANG data module for a system-level keystore mechanism,
which can be used to hold asymmetric private keys and certificates that
are trusted by the system advertising support for this module. Based on
the known dependencies this draft has the highest priority for the WG. 

2. Finalize Server and Client Configuration YANG modules for both NETCONF
and RESTCONF as well as the Client and Server Models for SSH and TLS. 

3. Finalize the Zero-touch provisioning for NETCONF or RESTCONF-based
Management as a technique to establish a secure network management
relationship between a newly delivered network device configured with
just its factory default settings, and the Network Management System. 

4. Provide a revised version of RFC 6536 (NETCONF Access Control Model)
by adding support for RESTCONF and for YANG 1.1 constructs like "action"
and the (locally-scoped) "notification" statements. 

5. Provide a set of documents enabling advanced notification/subscription
capabilities, which gracefully co-exist with deployments of RFC 5277. The
new capabilities include transport independence and multiple dynamic and
configured subscriptions in a single transport session. RFC 5277 will be
obsoleted in parallel with the publication of the new document set. The
following specifications will be published:
   - A protocol-neutral notification framework, explaining the concepts
of subscriptions, filters, subscription state notifications, replay, etc.
and defining the associated YANG data model, RPCs, etc.
   - Definition of notifications sent over NETCONF and HTTP. Examples for
the encoding of YANG notifications in XML and JSON will be given and
considerations for parallel support and implementation compatibility with
RFC 5277 will be included.
   - Definition of notifications sent over RESTCONF and HTTP2 and of how
YANG notifications are encoded in XML and JSON, including specifics of
call-home and heartbeat for subscriptions.
   - The subscription and push mechanism for YANG datastores allowing
subscriber applications to request updates from a YANG datastore.
   - Definition of transport agnostic notification headers and of a
mechanism for bundling multiple YANG notifications into a single
transport message.

6. Based on the revised datastore concept work in NETMOD, provide a
revision for the NETCONF and RESTCONF protocols and the used datastore
framework. 

7. Coordinate with I2RS to support the I2RS profile use of RESTCONF and,
optionally, NETCONF, and the I2RS dynamic datastore(s).

Based on the implementation, deployment experience and interoperability
testing, the WG aims to produce a NETCONF status report in a later stage.
The result may be clarifications for RFC6241 and RFC6242 and addressing
any reported errata.

Proposed Milestones: 

May 2017 WGLC for Zero-touch configuration mechanism

Jun 2017 Submit Zero-touch configuration to AD/IESG for consideration as
Proposed Standard

May 2017 WGLC for system-level keystore mechanism

Jun 2017 Submit keystore mechanism to AD/IESG for consideration as
Proposed Standard

May 2017 WGLC for Server and Client models for NETCONF and RESTCONF

Jun 2017 Submit Server and Client Configuration models to AD/IESG for
consideration as Proposed Standard

May 2017 WGLC for Client and Server Models for SSH and TLS

Jun 2017 Submit Client and Server Models for SSH and TLS to AD/IESG for
consideration as Proposed Standard

Jun 2017 WGLC for RFC 6536bis (NETCONF Access Control Model)

Jul 2017 Submit RFC 6536bis to AD/IESG for consideration as Proposed
Standard

Jun 2017 WGLC for advanced Notification/Subscription specifications

Jul 2017 Submit Notification/Subscription specifications to AD/IESG for
consideration as 
Proposed Standard