Subject: RFC 8170 on Planning for Protocol Adoption and Subsequent Transitions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 12:41:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8170

        Title:      Planning for Protocol Adoption and 
                    Subsequent Transitions 
        Author:     D. Thaler, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       May 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 55160
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-protocol-transitions-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8170

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8170

Over the many years since the introduction of the Internet Protocol,
we have seen a number of transitions throughout the protocol stack,
such as deploying a new protocol, or updating or replacing an
existing protocol.  Many protocols and technologies were not designed
to enable smooth transition to alternatives or to easily deploy
extensions; thus, some transitions, such as the introduction of IPv6,
have been difficult.  This document attempts to summarize some basic
principles to enable future transitions, and it also summarizes what
makes for a good transition plan.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC