Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping-05.txt> (Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) over Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 08:34:33 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled
Services WG (pals) to consider the following document:
- 'Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) over Virtual Private LAN Service
   (VPLS)'
  <draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-05-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the procedures and recommendations for
   Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) Provider Edges (PEs) to facilitate
   replication of multicast traffic to only certain ports (behind which
   there are interested Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) routers
   and/or Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) hosts) via Protocol
   Independent Multicast (PIM) snooping and proxying.

   With PIM snooping, PEs passively listen to certain PIM control
   messages to build control and forwarding states while transparently
   flooding those messages.  With PIM proxying, Provider Edges (PEs) do
   not flood PIM Join/Prune messages but only generate their own and
   send out of certain ports, based on the control states built from
   downstream Join/Prune messages.  PIM proxying is required when PIM
   Join suppression is enabled on the Customer Equipment (CE) devices
   and useful to reduce PIM control traffic in a VPLS domain.

   The document also describes PIM relay, which can be viewed as light-
   weight proxying, where all downstream Join/Prune messages are simply
   forwarded out of certain ports but not flooded to avoid triggering
   PIM Join suppression on CE devices.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2366/