Subject: Protocol Action: Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Specification to Internet Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 09:15:28 -0700

The IESG has approved changing the status of the following document:
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the Internet Protocol
Version 6 (IPv6) Specification
  (rfc4443) to Internet Standard

This protocol action is documented at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-icmpv6-dns-ipv6-to-internet-standard/

A URL of the affected document is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4443/

Status Change Details:

RFC4443 "Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the Internet
Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Specification" currently has an IETF standards
status of Draft Standard, which is now an obsolete status. This status
change requests reclassifying it to Internet Standard.

(1) There are at least two independent interoperating implementations
       with widespread deployment and successful operational experience.

RFC4443 has been widely implemented:
          https://www.ipv6ready.org/db/index.php/public/?o=4

(2) There are no errata against the specification that would cause a
       new implementation to fail to interoperate with deployed ones.
RFC4443 has 4 errata, none of which would cause new interoperability
      problems. 

(3) There are no unused features in the specification that greatly
       increase implementation complexity.

There are no unused features.

(4) If the technology required to implement the specification
       requires patented or otherwise controlled technology, then the
       set of implementations must demonstrate at least two independent,
       separate and successful uses of the licensing process.

N/A

RFC3596 "DNS Extensions to Support IP Version 6" currently has an IETF
standards status of Draft Standard, which is now an obsolete status. This
status change requests reclassifying it to Internet Standard.

(1) There are at least two independent interoperating implementations
       with widespread deployment and successful operational experience.

RFC3596 has been widely implemented:
          https://www.ipv6ready.org/db/index.php/public/?o=4

(2) There are no errata against the specification that would cause a
       new implementation to fail to interoperate with deployed ones.

There are no errata filed against RFC3596

(3) There are no unused features in the specification that greatly
       increase implementation complexity.

There are no unused features.

(4) If the technology required to implement the specification
       requires patented or otherwise controlled technology, then the
       set of implementations must demonstrate at least two independent,
       separate and successful uses of the licensing process.

N/A

Personnel 

   Suresh Krishnan is the responsible Area Director.