Subject: Protocol Action: 'MPLS LSP PW status refresh reduction for Static Pseudowires' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pals-status-reduction-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 15:55:12 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'MPLS LSP PW status refresh reduction for Static Pseudowires'
  (draft-ietf-pals-status-reduction-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-status-reduction/

Technical Summary

  This document describes a method for generating an aggregated
   pseudowire status message on Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS)
   network Label Switched Path (LSP).

   The method for transmitting the pseudowire (PW) status information is
   not new, however this protocol extension allows a Service Provider
   (SP) to reliably monitor the individual PW status while not
   overwhelming the network with multiple periodic status messages. This
   is achieved by sending a single cumulative summary status
   verification message for all the PWs grouped in the same LSP.

Working Group Summary

The working groups has been working on this for about five years. It
has discussed it a number of times and supports publication.
    
Document Quality

This is a well written document.

There has been industry interest but we are not sure how widely
it has been implemented. It is not uncommon in this area
for RFC to proceed before implementation.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Stewart Bryant
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard