Subject: Protocol Action: 'Application-aware Targeted LDP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:21:04 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Application-aware Targeted LDP'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp/

Technical Summary

   Some tLDP applications e.g. remote loop-free alternate (LFA) and 
   BGP auto discovered pseudowires may establish a tLDP session to any
   LSR in a network. The LSR that initializes such a session has 
   enough information to administratively control initiation of the
   session. The targetted LSR normally does not have the information 
   necessary to control acceptance of the requested session. This 
   document defines a mechanism to advertise and negotiate Targeted 
   Applications Capability (TAC) during LDP session initialization.
   The targetted LSR is made aware of targeted applications through
   the TAC information. When this happens it can establish a limited 
   number of tLDP sessions for certain applications.
   In addition, each targeted application is mapped to LDP Forwarding
   Equivalence Class (FEC) Elements to advertise only necessary LDP 
   FEC-label bindings over the session.

Working Group Summary

The WG process for this document has been fairly normal, and 
the working agreed that this is a necessary extension to LDP
for some applications. Discussion has been targeted on resolving
a small number of outstanding issues. The consensus in the working
was good. 

Document Quality

We are aware of several intentions to implement this specification.
 An implementation poll has been sent to the working group and as
 further information is received, the write-up will be updated.
 No expert review outside the working group is necessary.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Loa Andersson
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard