Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-manet-rfc5444-usage-06.txt> (Rules for Designing Protocols Using the RFC 5444 Generalized Packet/ Message Format) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 09:21:17 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks WG (manet) to
consider the following document: - 'Rules for Designing Protocols Using the
RFC 5444 Generalized Packet/
   Message Format'
  <draft-ietf-manet-rfc5444-usage-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-06-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 5444 specifies a generalized MANET packet/message format and
   describes an intended use for multiplexed MANET routing protocol
   messages that is mandated to use on the port/protocol specified by
   RFC 5498.  This document updates RFC 5444 by providing rules and
   recommendations for how the multiplexer operates and how protocols
   can use the packet/message format.  In particular, the mandatory
   rules prohibit a number of uses that have been suggested in various
   proposals, and which would have led to interoperability problems, to
   the impediment of protocol extension development, and to an inability
   to use optional generic parsers.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-rfc5444-usage/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-rfc5444-usage/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.