Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-07.txt> (Datacenter TCP (DCTCP): TCP Congestion Control for Datacenters) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 04:50:31 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor
Extensions WG (tcpm) to consider the following document:
- 'Datacenter TCP (DCTCP): TCP Congestion Control for Datacenters'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-06-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This informational memo describes Datacenter TCP (DCTCP), a TCP
   congestion control scheme for datacenter traffic.  DCTCP extends the
   Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) processing to estimate the
   fraction of bytes that encounter congestion, rather than simply
   detecting that some congestion has occurred.  DCTCP then scales the
   TCP congestion window based on this estimate.  This method achieves
   high burst tolerance, low latency, and high throughput with shallow-
   buffered switches.  This memo also discusses deployment issues
   related to the coexistence of DCTCP and conventional TCP, the lack of
   a negotiating mechanism between sender and receiver, and presents
   some possible mitigations.  This memo documents existing DCTCP
   implementations ([WINDOWS], [LINUX], [FREEBSD]) and deployment
   experience ([MORGANSTANLEY]).  DCTCP as described in this draft is
   applicable to deployments in controlled environments like datacenters
   but it must not be deployed over the public Internet without
   additional measures, as detailed in Section 5.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2319/