Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bier-architecture-06.txt> (Multicast using Bit Index Explicit Replication) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:34:23 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication WG
(bier) to consider the following document: - 'Multicast using Bit Index
Explicit Replication'
  <draft-ietf-bier-architecture-06.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-06-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies a new architecture for the forwarding of
   multicast data packets.  It provides optimal forwarding of multicast
   packets through a "multicast domain".  However, it does not require a
   protocol for explicitly building multicast distribution trees, nor
   does it require intermediate nodes to maintain any per-flow state.
   This architecture is known as "Bit Index Explicit Replication"
   (BIER).  When a multicast data packet enters the domain, the ingress
   router determines the set of egress routers to which the packet needs
   to be sent.  The ingress router then encapsulates the packet in a
   BIER header.  The BIER header contains a bitstring in which each bit
   represents exactly one egress router in the domain; to forward the
   packet to a given set of egress routers, the bits corresponding to
   those routers are set in the BIER header.  Elimination of the per-
   flow state and the explicit tree-building protocols results in a
   considerable simplification.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-architecture/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-architecture/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2624/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2439/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2986/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2987/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2447/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2512/