Subject: BCP 26, RFC 8126 on Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 13:03:07 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 26        
        RFC 8126

        Title:      Guidelines for Writing an
                    IANA Considerations Section in RFCs 
        Author:     M. Cotton,
                    B. Leiba,
                    T. Narten
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      47
        Characters: 109907
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5226
        See Also:   BCP 26

        I-D Tag:    draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-20.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8126

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8126

Many protocols make use of points of extensibility that use constants
to identify various protocol parameters.  To ensure that the values
in these fields do not have conflicting uses and to promote
interoperability, their allocations are often coordinated by a
central record keeper.  For IETF protocols, that role is filled by
the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).

To make assignments in a given registry prudently, guidance
describing the conditions under which new values should be assigned,
as well as when and how modifications to existing values can be made,
is needed.  This document defines a framework for the documentation
of these guidelines by specification authors, in order to assure that
the provided guidance for the IANA Considerations is clear and
addresses the various issues that are likely in the operation of a
registry.

This is the third edition of this document; it obsoletes RFC 5226.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC