Subject: RFC 8139 on Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Appointed Forwarders

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 22:00:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8139

        Title:      Transparent Interconnection of Lots of 
                    Links (TRILL): Appointed Forwarders 
        Author:     D. Eastlake 3rd, 
                    Y. Li,
                    M. Umair, 
                    A. Banerjee,
                    F. Hu
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Characters: 95337
        Obsoletes:  RFC 6439
        Updates:    RFC 6325, RFC 7177

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-rfc6439bis-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8139

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8139

TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) supports
multi-access LAN (Local Area Network) links where a single link can
have multiple end stations and TRILL switches attached.  Where
multiple TRILL switches are attached to a link, native traffic to and
from end stations on that link is handled by a subset of those TRILL
switches called "Appointed Forwarders" as originally specified in RFC
6325, with the intent that native traffic in each VLAN be handled by
at most one TRILL switch.  This document clarifies and updates the
Appointed Forwarder mechanism.  It updates RFCs 6325 and 7177 and
obsoletes RFC 6439.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC